Buckyball Racing Club and New Pilots Initiative present: New Pilots Hustle (8-16 January 3308)

Well just run my Sidey around and I admit it was a tad slower, but not by as much as I would have expected. Go figure.

1641860930210.png

Here we go!

Scoreboard Update

Starting out with the first scoreboard update of the race, our first pilot off the blocks was Stobi-Wan in the aptly named Mamba - ST - 15m. They were briefly first in their first Buckyball race, by virtue of being the only one on the board, and had great fun, and came close to the half hour mark!

Up next was well known speeder Shaye Blackwood, taking a spin in the tiny Sidey, nimble and quick for the many flips and turns require in this normal-space adventure. And much flipping was had! In an exceptionally unusual strategy, CMDR Shaye left Bardfield Orbital at high negative velocity, admiring the front of the station in his viewport as the sidey sped out backwards. He managed to break the half hour mark, pulling a time somewhere in the 20s.

The first entry in the Regulation Eagle category was well-known pilot Inga Stevenson, in the intimidating Ferrum Aquilae. Definitely check out the detailed narrative ( https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...-8-16-january-3308.596998/page-2#post-9691844 ) for the full report, but an FA-off launch at Tesla starport was very nearly the end of our heroine! Thankfully she recovered and in spite of a rushed ship inspection and race prep, managed to set the bar for the regulation run at a timely 31 minutes. Perhaps this show will help boost sales of her new book All the Good Names were Taken for the Memoirs of an Imperial Slave, apparently to some people racing might just be all about the fame after all… that’s what Dynamic Shields thinks anyways!

Sponsored Content:
“Dynamic Shields. They keep the die out of Dynamic!” - Inga Stevenson

They saved Inga’s ship, and can save yours too, buy Dynamic today!

After some trouble getting the submission software to work, Sulu chose a Viper Mk III, well known for having the max possible speed with current engineering (932m/s), and put it to hard use. From the post run interview: “On leaving the first station I was so close to a very big accident I almost screamed! The slot was entirely full and I was at full throttle…. Lucky there I guess. T9`s are quite big innit.” That’s an understatement! The misnamed “Almostquickenough” which appears to be quite quick enough, almost glanced off a ship 20 times as heavy. A close shave indeed! This brought Sulu to the top of the OPen Unlimited board, holding onto a tight lead for the first three days of racing.

Then purple_rider came along in the long range Krait Phantom, famed for winning medium to long range races. It’s width was a bit of an issue though, and a Dolphin was more than a little jostled through the slot, and purple_rider’s shield went down upon landing. The wyvern survived though, and came in just under the half hour mark at a chill 29 minutes. We hope that fines get paid off quick, and advise making yourself scarce left some of those Dolphin passengers bring lawsuits with damages for pain and suffering. Classic Buckyballer move though!

The second pilot to take out a Regulation Eagle was Epaphus, zipping round the course in a speedy 31 minutes, a hair faster than Inga and bumping her out of first. When pressed after the race to describe his strategy and experience, the only comment was a demure “Didn't blow up and nothing fell off the ship… which is a bonus.” Apparently Epaphus is familiar with the “regulation” quality on some of these builds! Here’s to hoping for some time gains later on this week.

q3x4cB0.png

Hmmm, given the consistency of my runs in Horizons it looks like I will need to change something to catch Sulu and Shaye!

First thing I tried was changing to Odyssey. Three more runs, all about a minute slower than my Horizons runs ... OK, guess game mode isn't it then.

For reference, Odyssey was slower mostly just due to general fumbling. I don't like the bookmarks UI as much (and the galaxy map is slow to close), everything's so bright I often can't see the compass dot to tell where my pad is, nightvision (which I use when doing the loops to better see the exact outline of the station structure) is so horrible in Odyssey that I have to turn it off before landing and fumbled that a couple of times (accidentally opening the galaxy map), poor frame rate was occasionally a factor, and at Leonard Nimoy the game briefly hogs all the CPU leaving none for my Joystick Curves software (which means I lose all control for a couple of seconds). For what it's worth I don't think flight speed or handling in either supercruise or normal space is any different tho' ... I just generally felt slightly more out of control in Odyssey.

On the plus side tho' ... good beauty shot and, unlike Horizons, you can ACTUALLY walk away from a good landing.

TIF7vi3.png

Last edited:
As I suspected, the galaxy map and bookmarking are the real issue with Odyssey. It is not so pronounced in this type of race but it is still slower. I think I will race in future in Horizons unless it has to be Odyssey for any reason. As for walking away, I will usual have to climb out of a broken window or a hole in the side with my landings.

I also have had issues with compass dot, but as I have usually lined up and have my eyes closed by then I never gave it much thought, but the colour scheme I hate the most is the light coloured station with pink landing markers. Very easy to miss your pad then.

Intent to Crash!

Name: CMDR Seingalt
Class: OPEN
Ship: Full engineered Viper
Ship Name: 2 F4ST

My last unregistered attempt on this fully engineered viper was oven 31 minutes. So I really need to change stuff !
I think I am going to go for a chill run, without anything fancy but no mistakes, just to have a reference, and then try to improve from there with the regulation Eagle.
In my last run I managed to fumble 3 times at Cherry port : hit the back of the station, miss the mail slot, hit the building after the pad... I am certainly no racer, but that was a shamefull run that proved no shields were cleary not an option for me.

Crashing is just the Buckyball way. If you don`t crash you ain`t trying. I have destroyed 9 ships so far and as many can tell you this is not an exceptional amount for me at all.

Last edited:
Crashing is just the Buckyball way. If you don`t crash you ain`t trying. I have destroyed 8 ships so far and as many can tell you this is not an exceptional amount for me at all.
“if you’re not willing to damage your ship, you’re not really in a hurry,” is Stevenson’s Whirlwind Adventures’ motto for a reason. ;)

Though in my case, still less about ship destruction by missing the mail slot, and more getting caught by planets gravity thanks to cutting it too close to the edge. Still struggling to get my time below 31 minutes, though I am starting to get more comfortable about scooping from LHS 6309.

OK, open offers much more Thrill :D

Bumped a good number of times on this attempt and truly regret not being able to capture the runs instead of just taking screenshots with voice attack. I thought I hd lost the ship on a number of occasions. (3 if I recall correctly).
Managed to make an OPEN run in 26:11 (unofficial) which I am actually quite poud of, I get the feeling coming ! No regrets at all about getting the ship fully fitted for the event. I even got a 2D shield if I really feel reckless enough (I wonder if no shields at all wouldn't be the actual way to go).

The screenshots are really a pain because voice attack takes ages to trigger, and I don't have the shots I want. I will have to anticipate and make group shots for future attempts.
Any advice on what capture software to use ?
Screenshot_2623.jpg

OK, open offers much more Thrill :D

Bumped a good number of times on this attempt and truly regret not being able to capture the runs instead of just taking screenshots with voice attack. I thought I hd lost the ship on a number of occasions. (3 if I recall correctly).
Managed to make an OPEN run in 26:11 (unofficial) which I am actually quite poud of, I get the feeling coming ! No regrets at all about getting the ship fully fitted for the event. I even got a 2D shield if I really feel reckless enough (I wonder if no shields at all wouldn't be the actual way to go).

The screenshots are really a pain because voice attack takes ages to trigger, and I don't have the shots I want. I will have to anticipate and make group shots for future attempts.
Any advice on what capture software to use ?View attachment 285600
Easiest thing is to just video the whole run and then grab screenshots from the video playback at your leisure (if it was a good run). If you have an nvidia card then you can just use the shadowplay capture facility that comes with it (built into the GeForce Experience app, basically just press Alt+F9 to start recording and Alt+F9 again to stop). Otherwise, I think a lot of people use OBS (no experience of that myself tho).

Sadly my graphics card doesn't support that option. I will use OBS, but when I tried using it after a year or so, all the capture parameters seemed to have been lost. I will have to look into it.

Thanks a million !

Sadly my graphics card doesn't support that option. I will use OBS, but when I tried using it after a year or so, all the capture parameters seemed to have been lost. I will have to look into it.

Thanks a million !
Actually, isn't there also video capture built directly into WIndows 10 these days. Don't you just hit <Windows Key>+G to bring up the "game bar" and then hit record? Again, never tried this myself but I just suddenly remembered it.

...has played Elite since the beginning
...has somehow completely missed the fact that events such as this take place
...has no chance of winning, high chance of major Courier damage
...definitely is going to do this anyway for personal challenge and an excuse to use one of those fun paint jobs lol

If I find myself in open, you all have been forewarned that I do not keep the greens to the right when I am in a hurry lol

Top Bottom