Buckyball Racing Club and New Pilots Initiative present: New Pilots Hustle (8-16 January 3308)

I was dead excited to see this happening but I've hit a snag. I just got myself a shiny new oculus and want to play using it, I've spent two nights trying to learn to use the galaxy map and other things with it. But now even traveling to the event I'm getting motion sickness. I can't imagine what it will be like making screaming turns! How long before you lose the motion sickness does anyone know?

WARNING: Non-Expert Opinion! You might be better off asking the good folk in the Virtual Reality subforum.

In all honesty, the fact that you're getting motion sick seems kind of weird to me. I could see flyving in your SRV being a problem, but not simple travel... though the swirling clouds of Witchspace could be a trigger, now that I think of it. Motion sickness might also be triggered by your video card not being able to render 90 frames per second at each eye. Or it could be something else entirely. 🤷‍♀️

I was dead excited to see this happening but I've hit a snag. I just got myself a shiny new oculus and want to play using it, I've spent two nights trying to learn to use the galaxy map and other things with it. But now even traveling to the event I'm getting motion sickness. I can't imagine what it will be like making screaming turns! How long before you lose the motion sickness does anyone know?
The main thing I would say is not to try and push on through the motion sickness. When you start to feel queazy stop and do something else for a bit. If you're not careful you can actually build a mental association between VR and feeling sick, I've even heard stories of people feeling sick just from the smell of the headset. With time and patience nearly everyone gets acclimatised eventually. Of course time and patience are not ideal bedfellows of a Buckyball race.

One thing I did to help with my motion sickness in VR was to purhcase a small desk fan. A bit like with winding down windows in a car if you feel travel sick, having a gentle breeze on your face in VR can definitely help.

Last edited:
Well, last night's attempt wasn't very good, primarily because I switched to Horizons (definitely felt like a slight improvement, especially in the galaxy map) and I had to redo some bindings on the fly, but I got up early enough to squeeze in an attempt this morning. And what a run it was! I had only messed up one braking maneuver up, and stuck most of my landings. I could still improve my scooping times at LHS 6309, but I emerged at Tesla Station at the perfect angle to see the airlock without having to be directly in front of the station.

I was a minute and half ahead of my best time, and I was on my way to see Spock before heading back home, when this happened:

dang it.jpg

Well, last night's attempt wasn't very good, primarily because I switched to Horizons (definitely felt like a slight improvement, especially in the galaxy map) and I had to redo some bindings on the fly, but I got up early enough to squeeze in an attempt this morning. And what a run it was! I had only messed up one braking maneuver up, and stuck most of my landings. I could still improve my scooping times at LHS 6309, but I emerged at Tesla Station at the perfect angle to see the airlock without having to be directly in front of the station.

I was a minute and half ahead of my best time, and I was on my way to see Spock before heading back home, when this happened:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yep - I got an "Adder Attack" yesterday mid-run as well...I already have a low-30s run recorded - but I know I can improve so I'm holding off submitting...

(Glad to hear that I'm not the only one doing this in Horizons...My main issue with ODY [not even thinking about the GalMap Bookmarks] is the anti-aliasing frankly looks like crap IMO - compared with HRZs...Out in Deep Space I am generally OK with ODY if I feel like "getting my boots dirty" - but can't stand the looks of FC or stations..)

I suspect at least some of the recent crashes are down to the high numbers participating in the current CG. I would imagine that number will drop significantly in an hour or so when the CG hits tier 5.

Can't comment on the Oculus as I use HTC Vive Pro. What I find causes me motion sickness is when the FPS is low and the screen starts to stutter or if there is still image stuck on the screen and I'm moving my head and image isn't moving within the VR space.

If the motion sickness your seeing is due low FPS then it be worth seeing if Oculus has something similar to Steam VR's asynchronous reprojection. if a game can't reach the refresh rate of the headset, in my case 90FPS, reprojection will drop the frame rate of the game to 45 FPS and will synthesise every other frame to get the frame rate up and smooth out motion which can help out.

Also like Alec said, take breaks when the motion sickness starts to kick in.

Yes! This morning wasn't a fluke! :D (y)

Er... I mean my flying, not the yellow adder connection error. ;)

You can watch me fail to remember most of the good pads in about an hour here:

I'm rather happy with this run, so I'm going to see if I have a ship appropriate for the open unlimited!

edit:

Intent to slam into things at high speeds...
Name: Inga Stevenson
Class: Open Unlimited
Ship: Imperial Courier
Ship Name: Elegance of Virtue

Last edited:

Can't comment on the Oculus as I use HTC Vive Pro. What I find causes me motion sickness is when the FPS is low and the screen starts to stutter or if there is still image stuck on the screen and I'm moving my head and image isn't moving within the VR space.

If the motion sickness your seeing is due low FPS then it be worth seeing if Oculus has something similar to Steam VR's asynchronous reprojection. if a game can't reach the refresh rate of the headset, in my case 90FPS, reprojection will drop the frame rate of the game to 45 FPS and will synthesise every other frame to get the frame rate up and smooth out motion which can help out.

Also like Alec said, take breaks when the motion sickness starts to kick in.

One thing I did remember over night was when the jump animation changed in Odyssey, the movement it was showing did cause a little motion sickness. so I started to focus on something within the ship (usually something around the radar or bobbleheads) rather than directly out of the cockpit window looking at the star in the middle of the animation.
Now I'm used to the new animation it doesn't really bother me any more.

First Open Unlimited Run submitted. Time wasn't much of an improvement over my previous Regulation Eagle run. Messed up two braking maneuvers, slammed into a planet's orbital cruise zone (22:37 - need to remove my planetary approach suite for this race) trying to decelerate enough to visit Spock, and overshot my landing pad repeatedly until I adjusted to my iCourier's engine output, plus quite a bit of faffing about trying to actually dock, including not noticing that I hadn't hit "launch" before plotting my next jump. 🤦‍♀️ So plenty of room for improvement. :unsure: yay??? (y)

Also, there was an... incident... that occured at 17:11 that cost me some time.

Interference.jpg

You can watch me fumble my landings repeatedly (edit: in about an hour) here:

Last edited:
Top Bottom