Buckyball Racing Club and New Pilots Initiative present: New Pilots Hustle (8-16 January 3308)

Ok rough test round a station (not massively scientific but close enough). Boosting into the apex will give about 10 seconds quicker to circuit the station than just turning. So over a five circuit race this could save a whole minute. So in my very humble opinion always make sure there is a boost available as you turn. It looks quicker, it feels quicker and the stopwatch tends to agree.

Last edited:
Where did darplata94 sneak in from!?!
Did see them online yesterday, didn't know they were racing.

Ozric, really nice SC approaches, I definitely need to be more concious about turning away from the star.
Alec, that Leonard Nimoy ring thread approach 😘
@Darkfyre99 good racing and have been quietly enjoying your writing over the week o7

Yesterday was the only day I had real time to spend on the race, and it meant I bumped into loads of folk out on the course, including watching Bob Dubrovnik stick their final T9 landing.
Good fun seeing ships all around o7

Boosting into the apex will gives about 10 seconds quicker to circuit the station than just turning. So over a five circuit race this could save a whole minute. So in my very humble opinion always make sure there is a boost available as you turn. It looks quicker, it feels quicker and the stopwatch tends to agree.
Science!!!
I'm not clear what you mean, boosting while at the station's back to turn start moving to the front, or boosting before you're actually behind the station as you start the turn?
Edit: or somewhere in the middle?

First, thanks to @Bruski for hosting this race! It's a great way to start the year.

Second, thanks to @Alec Turner for the friendly competition at the end. Congratulations on the podium placement! It was the first race where I was comfortable enough with the proverbial death spiral to actually compete against others, rather than myself. Although @Darplata94 and @Ozric clearly demonstrate that I've got a way to go.

First you turn far more aggresively away from the star. Despite this being recommended in Bruski's excellent tutorial it was something I somewhat dismissed. Yes, I've always arced away from the star to get away from it first, but I generally don't literally point away from it, preferring something of a compromise between that and still heading in the vague direction of my destination. Perhaps I need to rethink that.

As for leaving a star, I must admit I tend to arc away, never really considered just blast away as quick as you can. I guess my brain can see why it would make sense to move from the gravity source asap but my instinct is to arc away towards my goal. Need to tray this in practice.

I'm in the same boat here. I tried turning directly away from the star several times, but that nagging voice at the back of my head kept telling me that doing a complete 180 was overkill.

The other big difference is that I did take heed of something else mentioned in Bruski's tutorial, that off turning off flight assist, both when exiting the station and when doing my runs along the length of the stations because of the claim that speed decays less rapidly with FA turned off. I'm beginning to think this one is a falacy, and that the fact that FA off means your vector isn't always in as straight a line to the back of the station as it could be means any vague benefits are lost in taking a slightly longer route.

I experimented with that myself, and I didn't notice any difference, and I'm far too heavy handed with my controllers for sufficient precision to take advantage of it if there was.

Last edited:
As you are about to turn at the rear of the station to come back, time the boost and you will zip around really quick to face the front without scrubbing much speed. It is not so much about the boost speed rather that the boost prevents the speed decreasing much as you change direction.

I am hardly the best candidate for the boost turn but I can show it on video if it helps

Source: https://youtu.be/3q6cU-OOAbQ
Cheers, i was often using my boost badly based on that, killing my speed rather than carrying it through.

On the subject of loops around the stations ... it felt kinda inconsistent that there was no loop around the final station so I decided to come up with a solution for the next time we run a race with loops that happens to feature a Coriolios!

Source: https://youtu.be/7WRu5PJl3yg

😁

You know I'll play 'does it fit' with a finish like that :)
Someone please make it so

Someone please make it so
Maybe I could modify "The Last Gasp" so you have to complete your long distance run with no life support by doing one of these circuits around the finish line Coriolis before you're allowed to dock and draw breath again!

Oj8zkQa.gif

Oh that`s evil, maybe you should at that. Never tried this so I suspect I will die a few times to begin either way.

Last edited:
And now, the conclusion of the Kit-Kat story.

Dressed in her NPI Navy dress uniform, Lieutenant Katarina "Kit Kat" Castro once again looked at the monogramed card in her hand.

You are cordially invited to 'A Taste of Achenar' for dinner and conversation.
-C. Inga Stevenson​

She had almost turned down the invitation. Despite her father telling her that the "issue" had been resolved, she had still felt a shiver of fear at the idea that she'd been identified by someone from back home. Still, she was curious what her idol had to say to her, especially given their only interactions to date.

Not to mention that "A Taste of Achenar" was one of the best restaurants on Leonard Nimoy Station, and normally way above of her paygrade.

She had no sooner passed through the entrance, when the hostess greeted her. "Lt. Castro? Welcome to 'A Taste of Achenar.' I am Mariko Vasylyshyn, your hostess for the evening. Your party is waiting. Follow me, please." The woman spoke with an imperial accent, which Katarina had always felt made one sound a bit like a petulant child.

Nether the less, she found herself instinctively slipping into the same accent. "Thank you."

As they approached what was obviously her table, two women stood up. The first was obviously Cmdr. Stevenson. Unlike most of her race interviews, she was dressed in an elegant flowing dress that showed off the muscles in her shoulders and upper arms. A string necklace of alternating emerald and jade gem stones, with a single fire opal at its center, adorned her throat.

The second was a darker skinned woman, wearing an elaborately embroidered sari, tiny beads of emerald, jade, and fire opals set along its edges. She felt a second sliver of fear enter her spine as she recognized the woman: Roshni Narang, Patron of Fort O'Brian and its suburbs, head of the extremely wealthy and influential Narang family, and the daughter of the man responsible for her father fleeing the Empire, his 12 year old child in tow.

"Lt. Castro? May I present my good friend and Patron, Roshni Narang of Emerald. Roshni? This is Lt. Katarina 'Kit Kat' Castro, expat of Jade, currently an officer in the New Pilots Initiative Navy. I've taken the liberty of ordering pinnekjøtt. I'm sure you've missed it over the years." Unlike her interviews, where she spoke with what was typically referred to as Galnet Standard, Cmdr. Stevenson also affected the more noticeable imperial accent.

"Uh... yes! It's nice to meet you both. And... uh... thank you." The three women sat down, one a little more unsteadily than the other two.

"While we wait for our meal, let's get the unpleasantness out of the way. First, I'd like to say that there are no hard feelings on my part. You were simply doing your duty, and I can respect that. I hope you had as much fun during our brief rivalry as I did?"

"Uh... yes I did."

"Good. Now, I believe Roshni had something to say?"

"Indeed I did, Inga. Lt. Castro, first, may I offer my deepest apologies for the wrongs my family has done to you."

Katarina stared at the woman in shock. "What? I don't understand... dad always implied he'd stolen something from your family."

Roshni Narang shook her head. "Not exactly. Your parents and my father had an agreement. After the... death of your mother, your father had a change of heart about his role in that agreement. When I learned about that agreement upon my father's death, I felt his actions were a stain upon our family's honor. As such, I feel we owe you compensation for the wrongs we've done to you."

"What was this agreement?"

"You'd have to ask your father that question. I will not say. Now, before they bring our dinners, would you like to discuss your compensation?"

"Yes, of course."

"First and foremost, I'm giving you ten doses progenitor cell treatments. I'm well aware of what happens to people who have been subjected to high-g adaptations, especially when they're subjected to long periods 'Earth normal' gravity. Use the treatments to reverse the damage, or if you prefer, to remove the adaptations completely, or however else you see fit.

"The second is to offer you a choice: if you wish to remain here, I'll give you 100,000 credits..."

Katarina stiffened. Assuming she was talking about the "Bank of Zaonce" credit, that was a fortune. She could easily live off the interest alone if she invested it wisely, and live well if she used said interest to supplement her income as an officer in the NPIN, or in the private sector if she decided not to renew her contract at the end of the year.

"As an alternative, if you wish to return home, I've got an offer for you from the Cemiess Home Guard, at the equivalent of your current rank. I will, of course, cover the expenses of transporting you and your family to Cemiess, as well a home on the planet of your choice."

She frowned at that. Her mother had served in the Cemiess Home Guard before her death, and growing up she had hoped to follow in her mother's footsteps. Her service in the NPIN was a poor substitute in comparison.

"Finally, if you wish to blaze your own trail across the universe, there's always joining the Pilots Federation. I'll cover the relevant entry fees."

That was also a tempting offer. Her father had been a member of the Pilots Federation, but had fallen on hard times. This was well before the invention of the FSD, and before it had morphed into entity it had become today. As a child of a member, she was eligible to join at a fraction of the cost an outsider would have to pay.

As she contemplated her options, the servers arrived with their meal: salted rib of lamb, stuffed baked potatoes, and a mix of vegetables. It was a simple meal served during special occasions in the pressure domes on Jade, but as expected the presentation was much fancier.

Katarina "Kit Kat" Castro took her first bite of the heavenly seasoned meat, contemplating the futures she suddenly had before her. She'd need to talk things over with her husband, of course, but she still missed the life she'd left behind, all those years ago.

Perhaps it was time to return home.

The other big difference is that I did take heed of something else mentioned in Bruski's tutorial, that off turning off flight assist, both when exiting the station and when doing my runs along the length of the stations because of the claim that speed decays less rapidly with FA turned off. I'm beginning to think this one is a falacy, and that the fact that FA off means your vector isn't always in as straight a line to the back of the station as it could be means any vague benefits are lost in taking a slightly longer route.
Oof, I will have to test this. I've been doing this for YEARS since I thought it gave me a slight edge, but it's entirely possible it doesn't work.

I'm in the same boat here. I tried turning directly away from the star several times, but that nagging voice at the back of my head kept telling me that doing a complete 180 was overkill.
Now this one I am much more certain of, because SCIENCE!!!

Now this one I am much more certain of, because SCIENCE!!!

Should have known Canonn would have scienced it, some light reading for when I'm more awake.
Going to have practice more on supercruising Buckyball style for future races.

Uploaded my Eagle run if anyone is interested.

Source: https://youtu.be/JRMMot3Ab1o

Summary time I guess.
I went for the Aganippe->Ovid->LHS 6309->LHS 3006->Rakapila->Meliae route (My Viper would need an extra jump on the last leg of the shortest route). Sidewinder was my first choice of ship because of it's supercruise handling and in my experience that is where Buckyball races are won or lost. Not so this time however, so I moved on to the iEagle wich was a massive disappointment (I rarely sell ships but this one might go in the bin). The Eagle positively surprised me with how much time it made up in corners and on braking/landing, it was also much easier to fly than the more untamed Viper which rounded up my entries. Nothing beats the raw power and the gentle purr of the Viper engines devouring any track in front of it and it's not as bad in supercruise as I remembered either. You can of course go a lot faster than what I did using the scoop boosting technique but that skill is beyond me :)

Edit: Eagle build is very standard but the Viper config might be of interest? https://s.orbis.zone/hyag

Viper run:
Source: https://youtu.be/C9W6Ea6dxVQ

Eagle run:
Source: https://youtu.be/d5xNw9bTowU

Some bloopers:
Source: https://youtu.be/AZtlpqVyE38

Top Bottom