Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Birthday Event: The BuckyBubble

eMPcA2X.png

OBJECTIVE

Starting at Lomas Orbiter in the Wolf 359 system, visit 60 systems in the order specified as quickly as possible, and then return to the starting station. Different classes have varying docking requirements, depending on the level of challenge you wish to pursue, and a variety of divisions help you race in your winning ship!

LEADERBOARDS

idNTBBf.png

ALL ENTRIES
0RuVvoa.png

BACKGROUND

Buckyball Racing has existed since the beginning of the current era of spaceflight, popularized by CMDR ElectricZ with The Buckyball Run. The enterprising ElectricZ is partnered with (or possibly works for?) a stoic kangaroo named Bucky.
dUem1TL.gif
Some history from ElectricZ:
The "Buckyball" Braben Star-to-Shining-Star Memorial Trophy Dash, widely known simply as The Buckyball Run, is an unofficial, unsanctioned spaceship race run from Xiaoguan Hub in Magec to the Vonarburg Co-Operative in the Wyrd system. The first run was not a real competitive race, as there was only one team running, but was intended both as a celebration of the Federation Interstellar Star Route System and a protest against strict traffic laws coming into effect at the time.

As it was found out, the newly imposed 9.8c relativistic limit imposed by the Federation Maximum Velocity Law (imposed as an energy conservation measure) was actually slower than the quickest average velocities of point-to-point travels of Commander Ian Buchanan "Buckyball" Braben (no relation) in the first half of the 32nd century. In 3102, Braben flew the route in a Cowell-MgRath model 57 Sidewinder, averaging greater than 12.5c, setting a 32 minute record that stood for nearly 140 years.

Another motivation was the fun involved...
To learn more about Bucky, please read "Behind the Ball".
8KwHcgBm.png
The original use of the name "Buckyball" was as a nickname for mankind's first manufactured nanomaterial: buckminsterfullerene, so the shape of its molecule is used as the race's symbol. The name is an homage to Buckminster Fuller, and the geodesic domes of his invention.
Truncatedicosahedron.gif
Buckminsterfullerene is a carbon-60 (or C[SUB]60[/SUB]) molecule with atoms arranged in a truncated icosahedron that was originally described by Leonardo da Vinci.

CMDR Jak thought it should be possible to find a race course that's shaped like a buckyball molecule. So numbers were crunched, the route modified (only slightly) to be more fun, and a course was plotted. Welcome to: The BuckyBubble.
The BubckyBubble is not perfectly shaped like a C[SUB]60[/SUB] molecule[SUB],[/SUB] but it's accurate enough to be recognizable. A couple of systems were manually changed to avoid very long supercruise times. It's also small enough for most ships to navigate easily, but with 60 destinations it is most assuredly an endurance race.

CLASSES

4 race classes are provided to allow for differing levels of race challenge and a variety of ships.
ClassEquipmentDockingTimeSC
Stock
Challenge
Only this shieldless Hauler build.
No engineer modifications.
No FSD injection.
Pit crews with limpets are not allowed.
No docking other than
finish at Lomas Orbiter.
1 hour53 ls
ProAny ship.
No engineer mods or enhanced thrusters.
No FSD injection.
Pit crews can refuel via limpets.
17 spaceports (no outposts).
1 per relevant system.
Finish at Lomas Orbiter.
2 hours34,610 ls
Top FuelAny non-large ship.
Any equipment and engineer mods.
FSD injections are allowed.
Pit crews can refuel via limpets.
29 spaceports or outposts.
1 per relevant system.
Finish at Lomas Orbiter.
2.5 hours29,775 ls
Funny Car
Challenge
Same rules as Top Fuel, except:

• Jump ranges are capped at 27 LYs for a full tank.
  • Can run the route in any order.
  • Start/finish remains unchanged.
Same stations as Top Fuel.2.5 hours29,775 ls
The Stock Hauler can be built for less than 1M credits at these stations, near Wolf 359.
You can replace its Basic Discovery Scanner with an Intermediate or Advanced one.
Please note the non-standard, reduced size fuel tank.

THE ROUTE

The race starts and finishes at Lomas Orbiter, in the Wolf 359 system. You must travel through all systems in the order specified below, docking at required stations in those systems containing them. The chart indicates which systems have docking requirements for each class.
Way-
point

System
LYs to
Next Sys
Stock
Docking
Pro
Docking
Top Fuel
Docking
0Wolf 35952.83
1Ao19.43
2LP 911-1319.52
3V886 Centauri25.23
4Khaka24.28
5LTT 694715.14
6L 484-3128.28
7Dumnona22.41
8Alrai Sector FG-X b1-520.58
9V379 Serpentis22.89
10Wolf 51519.78
11Wolf 42725.4
12LP 734-1125.2
13Shamash27.43
14LHS 28119.77
15LFT 56821.27
16Puppis Sector IC-M a7-122.33
17Crucis Sector OI-T a3-225.49
18Col 285 Sector QK-P a35-423.06
19Col 285 Sector RV-N a36-218.13
20LP 926-4021.07
21Chowei16.83
22LHS 350525.9
23LHS 343423.81
24Heracles25.83
2514 Herculis27.33
26Ross 101917.38
27LFT 89819.69
28LHS 30219.36
29LHS 221228.1
30Ross 43922.86
319 Puppis18.88
32Puppis Sector IR-W b1-420.56
33Puppis Sector VJ-R a4-214.17
34LP 374-623.73
35Djandji26.35
36Kinich Ahau23.12
37LFT 176518.88
38Col 285 Sector MK-P a35-020.71
39Piscium Sector ID-I a10-219.12
40LHS 641025.26
41LHS 638621.94
42Theta Cygni26.03
43h Draconis18.02
44LFT 107321.22
45LP 62-14727.58
46G 107-6516.74
47LTT 1804627.65
48Toog18.26
49LP 417-21328.08
50Shokwa22.38
51Saranyu24.31
52Ross 55519.49
53LHS 11323.13
54Piscium Sector YF-N a7-120.01
55Jastreb Sector XU-P a5-219.99
56Aeng Dimo27.15
57BD+75 5828.10
58Keer24.86
59Ndozins24.09
60LP 298-4256.1
61Wolf 359n/a
* Systems in orange have non-scoopable stars for their entry point.
** LYs distances are calculated from eddb.io data; use at your own risk.

5xlrQnT.png

EVIDENCE

Due to the large number of destinations in this race, some non-standard evidence will be required.
VISUAL REQUIREMENT
Submissions for the Stock Challenge can use screenshots to capture visual evidence, as described in the How To Enter section of the Buckyball Racing Club's official website. However all other classes require video submissions.

I highly recommend using the free, Open Broadcast Software project for video capture and streaming. I didn't think that my machine could handle video capture while playing a game, and then this software was recommended by another Buckyball racer. It has saved me a ton of trouble during races. Thanks, robinjb.

Please upload visual evidence to youtube.com, an imgur.com album, or another appropriate hosting service, and then include a link in in your submission.

VERBOSE NETLOGS REQUIREMENT
The use of verbose netLogs allows the race host to not check visual evidence in those systems where no docking takes place. By default, netLog files do not include the info needed to use them as evidence, so you will need to enable verbose logging. The process was summarized in this post by Executive Producer, Michael Brookes, but the detailed process is explained here.

First, please review the following support article to identify the location of your game installation's AppConfig.xml file.
https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=108

Next, create a file named AppConfigLocal.xml in that same folder, and open it with Notepad or another simple text editor. Copy/paste the following into the file, save it, and close the text editor.
Code:
[FONT=Verdana]<AppConfig>[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]    <Network[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]        VerboseLogging="1">[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]    </Network>[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]</AppConfig>[/FONT]

Finally, use the support article above to find the location of your game installation's NetLog files.

When you have completed a run of this race, please shut down the game client, and copy the most recent netLog.log file to include with your race submission. If you were disconnected one or more times during the run and still wish to submit it, include all relevant logs.

RULES & PROCEDURES

Make sure you are playing in open and park your ship at Lomas Orbiter, in the Wolf 359 system. Proceed as follows:
  • Collect visual evidence of your ship's outfitting (see the official How to Enter instructions).
  • Collect visual evidence of your start (see the official How to Enter instructions).
  • Travel the route above (or your own route for the Funny Car class).
  • Collect visual evidence at relevant spaceports along the way.
  • Return to Lomas Orbiter, in the Wolf 359 system and collect visual evidence of your ship back on the pad.
  • Log out of the game.
  • For the Stock Challenge:
    • Upload your screenshots to imgur.com or another appropriate hosting site.
    • Video may be used, following the instructions for other classes.
  • For other race classes:
    • Upload your video to youtube.com or another appropriate hosting site.
    • Create a list of video timestamps that show your ship docked at the required stations (see the official How to Enter instructions).
  • Copy the netLog(s) containing your run to include with your visual evidence.
  • Submit all visual evidence and other required info for your race entry via email to jhyrryl<at>buckyballracing<dot>org<dot>uk.

DECLARING INTENT TO RACE

Before racing, it is customary to declare your intent to race by posting in the thread, but it is not strictly necessary. To declare your intent, specify the following:
CMDR Name (forum alias)
Ship Name (ship type)
Race Class​

So my intent to race might look like:

CMDR Seneh (Jhyrryl)
Black (Adder)
Stock Challenge​

BEAUTY SHOTS

The final podium update requires a beauty shot of your ship, if you take 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in any class. To take a beauty shot:
  • drop out of supercruise next to a class F star in Solo;
  • orient the ship so that the star fills the upper-left screen;
  • open the classified camera (CTRL-ALT-SPACE by default);
  • position the camera between the star and ship such that the ship fills 3/4 of the screen;
  • take a screenshot;
  • upload the screenshot to imgur.com or other appropriate hosting service;
  • include a link to the shot with your submission

SUBMITTING ENTRIES

As noted in the Rules & Regulations section, evidence for your race entry (as described in the Evidence section) must be emailed.
Send entries to:
jhyrryl{at}buckyballracing{dot}org{dot}uk​

The email must include:

1. your CMDR name and forums alias;
  2. the ship name and type used;
  3. the race class for this entry;
  4. the duration of your run, from start to finish;
  5. a netLog.log file attachment for your run;
  6. the platform on which you play (PC, XBox, Mac)
  7. a link to your visual evidence;
  8. if video is submitted, please also supply a list of timestamps showing your ship on the pad at each required station;
  9. evidence of your your ship's outfitting;
  10. whether or not FSD injection was used
  11. whether or not limpets were used to refuel
  12. if limpets were used, the names of your pit crew members
  13. a beauty shot of your ship

FAQ

Q: What stations do I dock at?
A: In those systems where docking is required, you are free to pick any station of an appropriate type.

Q: So if a system with required docking has an outpost that is closer than a large starport, I can use the outpost?
A: If you are running in the Top Fuel or Funny Car classes, yes. The Pro class requires large starports for all docking.

Q: Why are we sending you our log files?
A: I have written a simple program to scan them for your arrival in a system, so you don't have to collect screenshots or video timestamps for systems that don't require docking.

Q: What if I'm playing on XBox and can't provide video or netLog files?
A: Then you'll need to do a little more work to provide all screenshot evidence. Take a screenshot of the GalMap in every system where you do not need to dock, and use them for your visual evidence. When uploaded, please, please make sure they are sorted in chronological order.

Q: What's the deal with limpet refueling?
A: There is a stretch of course where fuel management will be an issue for many ships trying to maximize their jump range. Limpet refueling can help mitigate that if you can find a friend to help out with your race attempts. Note that limpet refueling is not allowed for the Stock Challenge class.

Q: Can limpets be used anywhere else on the course?
A: Absolutely.

Q: Can I replace the Stock Hauler's Basic Discovery Scanner with an upgrade?
A: Yes, as long as it's another Discovery Scanner with the same mass. You cannot replace it with a different type of equipment, even if it has the same or greater mass.

Q: Can I visit system other than those on the route?
A: Yes, otherwise it would be impossible for the Stock and Pro class ships to reach Ao from Wolf 359.

Q: Why are Funny Car Challenge ships capped at 27 LYs?
A: The 27 LY cap on jump range for a full tank is to encourage finding a more optimized route than the default route used by other classes, and/or require the use of FSD injection.

GOOD LUCK!

Fly fast, CMDR!

SUPPORT JAQUE!

Can't participate because you're helping out Jaques Station? Check out The Long Haul.

Last edited:
Hi chaps I definitely want to give this a go.
Just so I'm clear on the rules Jhyrryl, you want a video of the run with the times for each station we have to dock at?
As I'm on the Xbox I can't provide a Netlog so do you want screen shots of each station chap.
I hadn't considered XBox players, my sincerest apologies. I'll happily take screenshots to makes sure you can participate. :)

For systems where docking is not required just capture the GalMap screen while routing to the next system. That should show your current location and time. I'll update the FAQ with this info, too.

Intent to race

CMDR Markzx59/racer1
Stock Challenge
Ship name: Transit

I'll probably run my Asp in Top Fuel as well will confirm later.

I assume the Stock Challenge is allowed to visit other systems in between the ones specified in order to scoop fuel?

Edit: Am I allowed to swap BDS for ADS? They are the same weight IIRC.

Last edited:
Intent to race

CMDR Markzx59/racer1
Stock Challenge
Ship name: Transit

I'll probably run my Asp in Top Fuel as well will confirm later.

I assume the Stock Challenge is allowed to visit other systems in between the ones specified in order to scoop fuel?
Yes, and the other classes can too.

Edit: Am I allowed to swap BDS for ADS? They are the same weight IIRC.
Yes. I'll add that to the relevant spots in the rules and faq. Thanks.

The following individuals have (more or less) staged their vehicles and are ready to go!

U48G80v.png

Tip Talon, I made an assumption about you running in Verity's Chance...is that correct? Also, in what class?

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

In the Submissions section of the OP, I've added additional required info:

1. whether or not limpets were used to refuel
  2. if limpets were used, the names of your pit crew members

Need to give credit, where credit is due! :)

The following individuals have (more or less) staged their vehicles and are ready to go!

http://i.imgur.com/U48G80v.png

Tip Talon, I made an assumption about you running in Verity's Chance...is that correct? Also, in what class?

In the Submissions section of the OP, I've added additional required info:

1. whether or not limpets were used to refuel
  2. if limpets were used, the names of your pit crew members

Need to give credit, where credit is due! :)

I have a question, which for the moment is purely hypothetical because I haven't looked at the route closely yet, but might be relevant.

Is it legal to swap fuel tanks in mid-race?

I have a question, which for the moment is purely hypothetical because I haven't looked at the route closely yet, but might be relevant.

Is it legal to swap fuel tanks in mid-race?
That's a very interesting potential solution, but I'm going to say no. The equipment you start with should be the equipment you use, but honestly I can't imagine that it would save you enough time to do the swap. I actually don't think limpets will save anyone any time, either but I don't want to discourage teamwork if someone wants to fly that way. :)

Maybe a future variation would be a challenge class that disallows scoops, like the Mischief Mile did. A Fuel-aconda should be able to short-cut around "inside" the bubble faster than the racer it is supporting "on the surface", especially since it only needs to hit one out of every two-three destination systems.

Btw, I added a pic of all 61 bookmarks to The Route section.

That's a very interesting potential solution, but I'm going to say no. The equipment you start with should be the equipment you use, but honestly I can't imagine that it would save you enough time to do the swap. I actually don't think limpets will save anyone any time, either but I don't want to discourage teamwork if someone wants to fly that way. :)

Maybe a future variation would be a challenge class that disallows scoops, like the Mischief Mile did. A Fuel-aconda should be able to short-cut around "inside" the bubble faster than the racer it is supporting "on the surface", especially since it only needs to hit one out of every two-three destination systems.

Btw, I added a pic of all 61 bookmarks to The Route section.

I've observed before that one of the things I miss, going back to BBR5, was having to balance your fuel consumption - the "fastest" route was not the fastest route, because you burned fuel too fast and needed more stops. The Mischief Mile introduced the same factor. In my winning Crazies class run, aside from the limpet refuels, another major factor was limiting the number of times I needed to refuel by not using max-distance jumps!

That said, this race is probably too long for that; it'd get tedious. CMDR Aitken and I spent hours on end working out the optimal route for the Mischief Mile, which was a much shorter race. I was doing the plotting, but he had to provide me fuel during the plotting runs so that we could replicate the actual fuel levels I would have in the race!

EDIT: Well, I suppose with Alot's plotting tools, you could just use that to work it out (the only tricky part would be figuring out the optimal jump range to use).

Last edited:
Cool this looks like fun and I am right next door... :D
I assume you can disable things like your cargo scoop and scanner to save on some heat?

I am looking and bookmarking right now, but I am not declaring intent to race yet.

Cool this looks like fun and I am right next door... :D
I assume you can disable things like your cargo scoop and scanner to save on some heat?

I am looking and bookmarking right now, but I am not declaring intent to race yet.

If you disable your sensors, be sure you re-enable them before approaching a station, or you won't be able to request docking. I discovered that the hard way once!

Hi Jhyrryl sorry yes I intend to race Pro and Top Fuel, I should be back in the bubble by Saturday

CMDR TIP Talon
Verity's Chance ( Asp X )
Race Class: Pro
Feist's Fortune ( Asp X )
Race Class: Top Fuel

Top Bottom