Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club: Day of the Dead Stars

irgsb3j.png

WmOUsUj.png

OBJECTIVE

Starting at Avogadro Enterprise in Tau Ceti, visit 7 stations that directly orbit white dwarf stars and take screenshots of their exteriors. No docking is required except at the finish line when you return to Avogadro Enterprise. Pilots are encouraged to utilize the supercharging of frame shift drives when near these white dwarf stars.

BASICS

This is a modified "scramble" race:

1. Get pre-launch screenshots while docked at Avogadro Enterprise in Tau Ceti.
  2. Launch.
  3. Visit the 7 other stations listed below in any order.
    1. Docking is NOT required.
  4. Take a screenshot of each station exterior, showing its name.
  5. Use white dwarf supercharging to travel farther, faster.

THE ROUTE

Start and finish at Avogadro Enterprise in Tau Ceti, then visit all of the other stations in this list, in any order.

StationSystemSupercruie Dist.
Avogadro EnterpriseTau Ceti10,214 ls
Stone's LegacyLAWD 2612,172 ls
Vasilyev VisionLP 131-66206 ls
Nusslein-Volhard TerminalNLTT 466211,255 ls
Levi-Montalcini TerminalLFT 3671,055 ls
Larson TerminalLP 825-5591,340 ls
Doi StationLP 542-33630 ls
Reightler StationPROCYON11,392 ls

CLASSES

• Stock Challenge
  • Pro
    • No engineer mods or enhanced thrusters.
  • Top Fuel
    • Engineer mods and enhanced thrusters are allowed.
Note: in order to give priority to white dwarf supercharging, for this race FSD injection is never allowed

EVIDENCE

This race is somewhat unique in that station visits are required, but docking is not. This is because the race is more interested in testing a pilot's supercruise approach when there is no opportunity for gravity braking, than in testing docking/launch accuracy, which most other races cover.

So instead of the usual screenshot taken on the pad, we will be taking screenshots of the station exteriors, as follows:

1. Target each station.
  2. Approach to within 1.5 km and take a screenshot. The shot must clearly show:
    1. The ship's HUD clock;
    2. Targeting info showing the distance to the station;
    3. The station's name printed on the station.

DECLARING INTENT TO RACE
Before racing, it is customary to declare your intent to race by posting in the thread, but it is not strictly necessary. To declare your intent, specify the following:

CMDR Name (forum alias)
Ship Name (ship type)
Race Class​

So my intent to race might look like:

CMDR Seneh (Jhyrryl)
Black (Adder)
Pro​

The same information must be submitted with your race entry.

RULES & PROCEDURES

Make sure you are playing in open and park your ship at Avogadro Enterprise in Tau Ceti. Proceed as follows:

• Collect visual evidence of your ship's outfitting (see the official How to Enter instructions).
  • Collect visual evidence of your start (see the official How to Enter instructions).
  • Travel your chosen route.
  • Collect visual evidence as described above.
  • Return to Avogadro Enterprise in Tau Ceti and collect visual evidence of your ship back on the pad.
  • Upload your screenshots to imgur.com or another appropriate hosting site.
  • Submit all visual evidence and other required info for your race entry to me via the forum's private message service (preferred) or email to jhyrryl<at>buckyballracing<dot>org<dot>uk.

F.A.Q.

Q: Is FSD supercharging required?
A: No.

Q: Can I provide video evidence?
A: Yes, but only if you provide timestamps for the moments when you would have taken a required screenshot.

Q: Some of these supercruise distances are really far away.
A: That's not a question.

Q: Why are some of these supercruise distances so far away?
A: These are the only stations that met the requirements of the race organizer. Besides, being farther away from a star makes it more difficult for pilots to sync up their speed for dropping out of SC, due to travelling faster in the outer reaches of a system, and are therefore better for testing the skills of this race.

Last edited:
I have a few bugs causing me in-game problems at the moment but in the hope that they get fixed this week I'll declare my intent to race:
CMDR Edelgard von Rhein
ship type: Adder
race class: Top Fuel
ship name: Swept Under the Carpet

A note: Reynolds Holdings in LP 542-33 is 122,870 ls away from jump point, not 630 ls, as the chart states.
bExRRmo.jpg

A correction: It is Levi-Montalcini Terminal, not Levi-Montakcini Terminal. EDTS threw an error, but it was a simple fix. :D

A conundrum: It's very difficult to get a station shot of Orbis Starports while within 1.5km.
I thought it was impossible, but it can be done.
XtaRhTj.jpg
However, it involves some tricky precision flying that seems against the stated intent to focus on supercruise. Was this intended and/or will the distance be amended?

A question: Is jumponium allowed? (please say no please say no :p )

A declaration of intent:

CMDR Bruski
Sugar Glider
Asp Explorer
Top Fuel

(might change to
Varangian Lightning
Imperial Courier
depending on jumponium)

Last edited:
A note: Reynolds Holdings in LP 542-33 is 122,870 ls away from jump point, not 630 ls, as the chart states.
http://i.imgur.com/bExRRmo.jpg

A correction: It is Levi-Montalcini Terminal, not Levi-Montakcini Terminal. EDTS threw an error, but it was a simple fix. :D

A conundrum: It's very difficult to get a station shot of Orbis Starports while within 1.5km.
I thought it was impossible, but it can be done.
However, it involves some tricky precision flying that seems against the stated intent to focus on supercruise. Was this intended and/or will the distance be amended?

A question: Is jumponium allowed? (please say no please say no :p )

A declaration of intent:

CMDR Bruski
Sugar Glider
Asp Explorer
Top Fuel

(might change to
Varangian Lightning
Imperial Courier
depending on jumponium)

Doh! Please say no one has run yet...it's supposed to be Doi Station, not Reynolds Holding. Dang it. I did most of the prep quite awhile ago, and then the date crept up on my and I forgot to verify.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Station names fixed.

Regarding the tricky flying...why are you trying to get a shot from inside of the toaster rack?

edit: in the Classes section I have a note saying that FSD Injection is not allowed

Last edited:
Doh! Please say no one has run yet...it's supposed to be Doi Station, not Reynolds Holding. Dang it. I did most of the prep quite awhile ago, and then the date crept up on my and I forgot to verify.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Station names fixed.

Regarding the tricky flying...why are you trying to get a shot from inside of the toaster rack?

edit: in the Classes section I have a note saying that FSD Injection is not allowed

Haven't run yet ... I just got back to the bubble this morning to pick up my ship, route plotting today. I think the point of that toastrack screenshot is to illustrate how close you have to get before the distance to the center of the station reads less than 1.5km ... it's a big station!

Haven't run yet ... I just got back to the bubble this morning to pick up my ship, route plotting today. I think the point of that toastrack screenshot is to illustrate how close you have to get before the distance to the center of the station reads less than 1.5km ... it's a big station!

If a Buckyballer is afraid to scratch some paint, is s/he really a Buckyballer? [big grin]

route plotting today

Course calculated and locked into navigation computer.

Looks like I'm off to LP 131-66 with a disco scanner!

pxS8slt.png

P.S. impressive bit of course planning there (all those planet-less white dwarf stations). Really looking forward to running this one! It feels great to have the Buckyball racing jacket back on again! :D

Last edited:

Speaking of which...just had a shot at EDTS, I've been able to have python installed and script up and running (and that's a feat in itself for me, I'm not the sharpest tool)...doesn't seem to ever get past the updating database bit...has been stuck on loading EDSM data for hours...with or without the -b attribute....

I'll have to plot a route the way our ancestors did. [sour]

UPDATE: apparently the coffee grinder just needed a reboot, everything's fine now, off to scouting. :)

Last edited:

Looks like I'm off to LP 131-66 with a disco scanner!

http://i.imgur.com/pxS8slt.png

P.S. impressive bit of course planning there (all those planet-less white dwarf stations). Really looking forward to running this one! It feels great to have the Buckyball racing jacket back on again! :D

If you want to rank up exploration "quickly" without having to leave the Bubble, detail scan all its white dwarfs and ADS their systems. :)

*checks Alec's jump range*

*checks his Courier's range*

*checks Alec's range again*

*slowly unplugs the hotas, stores it in its box, closes Elite launcher and stares at the crowded desktop, contemplating the void*

So, having done a recce of the course (and learned how to gain, and survive, an FSD boost) I have to question (again) the 1.5km range thing. Did you really mean that we have to get under 1.5km? Will a screenshot with the station name filling the view suffice or do I really need to press my shieldless Asp right up against the wall of the station?

Top Bottom