Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club present: Mid Week Madness - Musical Science (28th-30th June)

Bx9E1XZ.png

It's the annual Galactic Battle of the Bands festival held as ever at the Piano Ring in the Bang system.

Organised by the inimitable character Boss Nova, he of ageing years, receding hair and healthy beard with an amazing ear for a party tune. To add to the usual attractions I was approached to give something a little different and after much discussion, in the fabled Pyramid bar, we decided that chartered flights around some musically inspirational stations fitted the bill. Now, when we said 'chartered flights' I did state that most BRC pilots are quite relaxed about such things as speed limits and approach vectors, Boss seemed comfortable with it. I even took him out for a spin, but i think he was mostly asleep!

All the headline acts have signed up, so here's your chance to mingle with the stars. Simply drop into Piano Ring and pick up your band then whizz them on a round trip of the inspirational stations

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lSMNjsO.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules & stuff

Choose a race class
Slick - no engineer mods (this includes Enhanced Thrusters), no fsd boosts. stock items only
Dope - anything goes

Start at Piano Ring - Bang

Visit in any order
Bass Terminal - Oitbi
Hornblower City - Lamaku ***Outpost*** (don't take an Orca!, well maybe a screenie within 2km)
Hoerner Dock - Maiden
Glen's House of Lambada - Flesk

Finish (safely) back at Piano Ring - Bang

Race submissions:
Screenshot @ each checkpoint or video showing station clock
Screenshot of modules screen
Your CMDR name
Your forum name if not the same as your CMDR name
Your ship type
Your ship name
Race Class (Slick or Dope)
Game Mode (open/solo) - The official race is Open only. Times can be submitted in Private or Solo as a 'guest' time and will be marked accordingly.

refer to Buckyball Racing Club site for details

PM or email to lightspeed <at> buckyballracing <dot> org <dot> uk

NB: you dont actually have to pick up any passengers, it's an imagination thing!

Please state you intent to race in the thread below

Your CMDR name
Your ship type
Your ship name
Race Class (Slick or Dope)
{optional} Band you are picking up

I've tried to keep it simple, as given my recent race history of missed screenies, incorrect route plots and general ineptitude, I thought it best. Let me know if there's anything to clarify.

Fly funky
<-lightspeed->

Last edited:
the first few CMDRs have arrived and are taking advantage of Boss Nova's legendary hospitality. The regular punters have faced lengthy queues to gain entry to the festival venue, but BRC racers have been granted special VIP access and should present themselves to Clik al'Rhumba who is our designated liaison officer.

Let the good times roll
<-lightspeed->

Intent to play along with the gig, with my completely new, perfectly ear-tuned DBX "Fender Star O'Crasher" (that's absolutely NOT the old Bucket Of Bolts with a bunch of new bolts and a cardboard nameplate taped on top of its painted one :rolleyes:)

Cmdr Aken B.
Ship name: Fender Star O'Crasher
Ship type: Diamondback Explorer

Was playing some tracks from Percival minutes ago, I'll bring them along for the ride.

Ready to play an open slick jam [up]

First run done, got caught up on the lighting rig at hornblower.. which was annoying.. you know when you clip the lights and they put out grappling hooks to hold you there ... it could well have been the bands rivals 'hotplay' those sell outs.. yeah anyone can play a gig on the surface of a star.. its just a gimmick.

The first official time is in. CMDR Kliggish now holds first place in the Dope class after swinging Golden Mullet around the course and giving Lesbian Goat the time of their lives!

The pre race bar is certainly starting fill up with BRC racers and associated hangers on. We are starting to make quite a name for ourselves at the festival. Many queuing festival goers witnessed what has been described as "jaw dropping", "pad crunching" and "top shizzle" flight techniques. I'll leave the tales of bravado boosted daring do in the bar room for later, suffice to say CMDR Kliggish was last seen sitting atop a bar stool balanced on three Ceti rabbits wearing this 'crown'

hkH2dIJ.jpg

roll up racers, the party is here. come and impress the adoring hoards!

fly noteworthy
<-lightspeed->

Last edited:
I DO like hats, but I'm not sure I would wear that one at the Kowal City annual grand gala.*

*Unless hideously drunk, of course.

Intent to race:
CMDR Edelgard von Rhein
ship name: Head in the Clouds
ship type: Diamondback Scout
race class: Open Slick
guest band: After School Tea-Time (from the anime series K-On!)​
I thought about running my Cobra Mk3 or Adder but the name of my DBS was an ideal match for the band - and the girls didn't get parental permission to take part in a Doped run. If I can rig my Courier for 30LY+ jumps, another band might go on tour in Doped class, though...

Hornblower City - Lamaku ***Outpost*** (don't take an Orca!, well maybe a screenie within 2km)

Hmm. I'm away from home and this means a low-fps laptop, manual route planning and no HOTAS. Lemme take an Or... - noooo. Another race without an Orca card :p
I guess I need to think about a different stylish (=slow) ship...

Hmm. I'm away from home and this means a low-fps laptop, manual route planning and no HOTAS. Lemme take an Or... - noooo. Another race without an Orca card :p
I guess I need to think about a different stylish (=slow) ship...

Sorry, you know i love Orca racing too! I was a bit limited by station names that i could squeeze into the theme for this one.

I keep thinking of doing an Orca challenge, but it's probably self restricting to you, me & Alot. at least i'd get on the podium!

Sorry, you know i love Orca racing too! I was a bit limited by station names that i could squeeze into the theme for this one.

I keep thinking of doing an Orca challenge, but it's probably self restricting to you, me & Alot. at least i'd get on the podium!
No worries, I've just noticed that I totally failed running the Orca back in 'Spring Break', and there was a dedicated class for it :eek:
I'll be running in good ol' Redshift, BBR6 veteran and the 2nd ship I ever did a race in. :)

CMDR Cookiehole
Ship: Adder "Redshift"
Race Class: Slick
Band: Well, technically not a band but I'll have to go with the Boogiebots, predecessors of the Cookiebots.

No worries, I've just noticed that I totally failed running the Orca back in 'Spring Break', and there was a dedicated class for it :eek:
I'll be running in good ol' Redshift, BBR6 veteran and the 2nd ship I ever did a race in. :)

CMDR Cookiehole
Ship: Adder "Redshift"
Race Class: Slick
Band: Well, technically not a band but I'll have to go with the Boogiebots, predecessors of the Cookiebots.

+100 Rep if I could for Boogiebots, probably my favourite bit of a very funny movie. :)

Intent to race:

Commander name: Samwell Drakhyr
Ship name: Back of Beyond
Ship type: Cobra mkIII
Race class: Slick open
Band: Firestrings (though that might just reflect the state of their instruments after being subject to racescooping in a Cobra!)

Dusk settles over the festival site. Which can only mean one thing, the racing is about to get started!

eZoN3Fe.jpg

A few CMDRs have been spotted attempting to leave the bar, at least two actually made it to their ship. We have a new confirmed time and leader in the Slick class - Stern Winter. Stay tuned for the mornings update...

Top Bottom