Buckyball Racing Club present: Thargoid Structure Scramble

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Rd7P7HQh.png

There has been an increase in Thargoid activity recently. After encountering the Thargoids in the Coalsack Nebula where they have previously not been seen, Canonn Research Group want to check to see if there have been any changes to known Thargoid activity areas. In particular whether there has been any changes with the Thargoid Sites.

On her way back from the Pleiades Nebula to Varati a member of the research team stopped in at Rebuy Prospect to make a few repairs to her ship after getting a little too close to a P-Type Anomaly. She’d heard about Bucky’s bar and took the opportunity to grab a cold drink while waiting for the repairs to be completed.

“You have to be really careful around these anomalies, I’ve found out” she said to Bucky. “I’m supposed to be examining some of these Thargoid structures, but they just don’t have the same thrill as trying to research an object that fries your ship while you do it”

She knocks back her drink and asks for another.

“But I still need to gather some data. I need lots of it and as quickly as possible too.”

“Well” said Bucky “I think I know just the group of people to help you get something done quickly.”

So Bucky has put out a call to all pilots from the Buckyball Racing Club to help out Canonn with their research. Wagon Wheels have been promised in return.

Race Synopsis

The race will start at Reed’s Rest in the Merope system, where all Thargoid roads lead. Pilots will be required to visit 3 Thargoid structures and scan the central device to gather data to see if there have been any recent changes to the signals from them. However in order to access the bases you will need to have a Thargoid Sensor in your hold. Fortunately there is a crash site in a nearby system where the Sensors can be reliably found, and I don’t think you have to worry too much about your ship being eaten from the inside out… If you’re quick enough...

There is always a risk of Hyperdiction when flying around the Pleiades, and while the Thargoids will not attack unless they are provoked, they do not take kindly to pilots carrying around any of their things. If they catch you carrying a Thargoid Sensor, then you might not be around long enough to worry about the consequences. You can have one free pass by carrying two Sensors, that way if you are pulled out of Witchspace you can quickly jettison one and then escape while they are picking that up. The drawback to this, is that you will be taking more internal damage.

Route

Start docked at Reed’s Rest in the Merope system
Fly to the crashed Thargoid ship on planet A 4 A in the HIP 17403 system and collect a Thargoid Sensor
Fly to three different Thargoid Structures and scan the Thargoid Device in the central room of the structure
Return to Reed’s Rest in the Merope system

Details

You will need to do some recon for the race if you have not visited these places before. When you map the planet with the crashed ship and Thargoid sites they do not initially show in your nav panel, but you will be able to see them marked on the planet itself.
When you visit a Thargoid structure you can find various ‘Uplink Devices’ around the structure. If you scan one of these with your SRV, then it will put the structure into the Nav panel for future visits to the system.

An easily searchable list of systems and planets containing Thargoid structures can be found at http://elitedangerous.hozbase.co.uk/customtable/display?id=thargoidstructures&system=merope

Remember you don’t need to bring the Sensors back to the station, so if you want to reduce the risk on the last leg of your journey you can drop the Sensor as you leave the final structure.

Race Classes

Unlimited

Any ship. As the distances are negligible you may use any loadout and/or synthesis as required.

Regulation

There is only one ship that could be used for the regulation class for this race and that is the Cobra Mk. III. This is a link to the loadout you must use. Synthesis is not allowed.

https://s.orbis.zone/bozQ

Unfortunately you are unable to buy this loadout in the Pleiades sector, so you will need to buy it in the bubble and fly out to the Pleiades with it. The Cobra has some of the best paint jobs, so I look forward to seeing what you’re flying.

Evidence

The Regulation class will require one more screenshot showing the Modules panel.

1 - Docked at Reed’s Rest in the Merope system
2 - At the Thargoid crash site, in an SRV or ship, cargo scoop deployed, Sensor targeted within 20m
eqD2eUWl.jpg

3 to 8 - Underneath your ship showing the Thargoid Sensor being transferred into the SRV. And then inside a Thargoid Structure, within 50m of the Thargoid Device, once the scan has completed
cwi4lutl.jpg

HfIfCY1l.jpg

9 - Docked back at Reed’s Rest in the Merope system.

All screenshots (except the modules panel and cargo transfer) need the cockpit clock to be visible. There is a bigger risk when running the Cobra or other small ships that the final screenshot time will be obscured by the lights, but we can work with it. If necessary then you can send an additional screenshot either side of just touching down.

Screenshots should be uploaded to a hosting site such as imgur. Video entries will be accepted provided that there are timestamps included to the relevant points.

The race will begin at 00:00:00 6th of February and finish at 23:59:59 on the 14th. As long as your race starts before that time, you run will be valid

You can submit your run via this Google form
p.s a HUGE thanks to AkenBosch for taking the idea for a race banner I had in my head, expanding on it and turning it into something frankly too awesome.

SCOREBOARD

Unlimited
pfHVXiCh.png

Regulation
wj3kO5mh.png

Last edited:
Never been inside a Thargoid structure, for some reason I remembered it requiring a long and convoluted series of steps, involving anything from obscure game mechanics, to steam cooking to foreign politics. Nice to hear I just needed a sensor fragment. :LOL:

I expect to hear that beautiful sound design of the game many times over.

Never been inside a Thargoid structure, for some reason I remembered it requiring a long and convoluted series of steps, involving anything from obscure game mechanics, to steam cooking to foreign politics. Nice to hear I just needed a sensor fragment. :LOL:

It sounds like we don't need to activate the central device (which would also require a Thargoid Probe and a Thargoid Link and the careful placement of all three items into their respective receptacles around the device). Mind you ... it's definitely worth doing once for the spectacle.

Hmmm ... so I'm still out in Colonia having a whale of a time and reluctant to cut my trip short. However ... this sounds awesome!

What I think I'm going to try and do is find a fleet carrier that can give me a lift back to the bubble so I can take part in this and then another fleet carrier that will take me back to Colonia once it's all over.

I guess that's a sound plan. Might just do the same to reclaim back my Orca from Colonia without losing a full quarter of my net worth. 😅

It sounds like we don't need to activate the central device (which would also require a Thargoid Probe and a Thargoid Link and the careful placement of all three items into their respective receptacles around the device). Mind you ... it's definitely worth doing once for the spectacle.

Right, I had misread that then. Makes more sense to not have to look for a probe as well, silly me. :rolleyes:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

Just to mention that it is the Thargoid Sensor you need, and not the Sensor Fragments. The fragments are the things you need to unlock Palin, you get them from destroying Sensors and you can find them at the crash sites too.

So just make sure you pick up the big boi who's growling at you, and everything will be fine....

Nope. Too easy. I've almost definitely decided I'm going to Buckyball it back now!

going-to-colonia (DAY 42 - RIDGE RUNNING)
Lunatic :LOL:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Visiting the Thargoid Structures has been on my to list for a while, seems like the perfect time to tick that one off (y)
Excellent, glad to have you aboard. Looks like we'll have two cherries to pop at least :D

Top Bottom