Buckyball Racing Club present: Thargoid Structure Scramble

Intent to race!

Alec Turner
Unlimited
Imperial Courier "The Sans Serif"

I'm at the start and all prepped for a run (although I suspect better routes may well be available). Gonna get a time first and then analyse where it can be improved.

Also, stunning locations!

JDngAAl.png

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I'm quite excited to be at the start line. First time in a while. Is it like riding a bike?
Excellent stuff. Good to have you back, as Ashnak said you'll be smashing into things in no time :D

Just completed another couple of runs tonight, one research, one practice. Major pain in the rear I'm experiencing is finding the Thargoid Crash Ship quickly, doesn't seem to show up on Contacts until I'm right on top of it.
Just to say, that you should be able to target it on the planet's surface (it does mean it takes a bit longer to spot it sometimes, but it should still guide you there). Though I have noticed that it does often untarget once you hit glide, but you should have a good idea where you're aiming by that point.

Also, stunning locations!

They really are. I took this at one of the first Thargoid sites I visited not long after they were initially discovered, and it's still one of my favourites.
45081278025_5d38c39e81_k.jpg

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Well the first day's racing is over and we had a few entries come in and none of them were without their issues. It seems that somehow the Thargoids had heard about the upcoming race and were ready and waiting for our intrepid racers. Fortunately no one was harmed during the runs, but it did impact on people's times a bit.

First up in the Unlimited class we had Cmdr New Model 15 in their Imperial Courier 'Call Me The Breeze' with an entry that they best described themselves yesterday... Fortunately the second run went much better and they were only Hyperdicted twice, once on second leg, once on third leg, interdicted by a pirate on fourth leg. And they picked blocked entrances at first and second structure. Well as D:Ream said things can only get better. (D:Ream are obviously not as good as Marilyn Manson was)
Next up was Cmdr Sulu who decided to run his rather aptly named Cobra Mk. III 'Goid Bait' but had a few issues of their own. When approached for comment as they were disembarking at Reed's Rest, he simply said. Interdicted twice, forgot the sensor once, got lost once. I need a drink.
It's a good job Bucky sent a lot of liquor ahead of this race to the bar here!
lj81wxfl.png

There was also one entry into the Regulation class with Cmdr Epaphus in 'Tricorder', although the run was not without issues as they were interdicted three times. Though amazingly they managed to outrun the pulse and so escape death at the hands... tentacles... whatever they have, of the Thargoids.
HeJyQ9zl.png

Arrggghhh!, just managed my fastest run yet, despite hyperdictions and pirates, but the screenshot at the starting point didn't save... Invalid run.

If you have the possibility, I'd suggest to record a video of your runs, and then grab the screenshots from that afterward.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Arrggghhh!, just managed my fastest run yet, despite hyperdictions and pirates, but the screenshot at the starting point didn't save... Invalid run.
Oh no, gutted! We've all been there don't worry. I'd agree with Aken, if possible install something like OBS to record your run, it just means that you can relax a bit while racing.

As a general tip for ED screenshots (I record video for race screenshots but generally I still hate it when, for whatever reason, a screenshot I thought I took isn't there) I run a utility called TheFolderSpy (there's a fair few alternatives too) which I've configured to monitor my ED screenshots folder and play a camera shutter sound when a new file appears in it. The certainty that hearing that sound means I definitely just took a screenshot is VERY reassuring!

As a general tip for ED screenshots (I record video for race screenshots but generally I still hate it when, for whatever reason, a screenshot I thought I took isn't there) I run a utility called TheFolderSpy (there's a fair few alternatives too) which I've configured to monitor my ED screenshots folder and play a camera shutter sound when a new file appears in it. The certainty that hearing that sound means I definitely just took a screenshot is VERY reassuring!
Thank you, I shall look into this.

However in order to access the bases you will need to have a Thargoid Sensor in your hold.
Are you sure? Since last year updates (FCs etc.) it is possible to enter the Thargoid Structures without sensor or probe, or did it change back to original?
(I did try this in 2 or 3 sites not all of course)

Are you sure? Since last year updates (FCs etc.) it is possible to enter the Thargoid Structures without sensor or probe, or did it change back to original?

Not sure if its still bugged, but for the race you do need the sensor :)

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
My first run of the day went well 😂

Glad the detention facility was only 1 jump away.
Smooth with a capital smoo!

It was bugged and you didn't need a piece of Thargoid stuff to enter. Then FD said they fixed "some", but I haven't found any that still need them. There is an issue on the issue tracker that I raised last July if people would like to contribute for what it's worth. Maybe we can get it to 10 so it gets confirmed.

But as Epaphus said for this race you are required to carry one, hence the additional screenshot of transferring it to you SRV at each Structure. I wanted to make it as close to what it should be, but it also adds the extra peril of ship corrosion, and Hyperdiction worries :devilish:

Top Bottom