Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Advanced Options (24.03.3303 - 02.04.3303)

6Mw2jIk.jpg

kxSMsOr.png

DfPl0V9.png

The Race

Advanced Options is a short circuit race, starting and ending at Haisheng Orbital in Noatiaca.
The route is as shown:

zP5PwDI.jpg

To complete the race the pilot must do one circuit starting at Haisheng Orbital, visiting each waypoint in turn and returning to Haisheng.

There are two race classes:
Unlimited:
  • Any ship may enter
  • Engineer mods, Enhanced Performance Thrusters and FSD boost are allowed
  • Multiple leaderboard entries (best submission for each ship type will appear separately)
Old-School Cool:
  • Ships allowed: Cobra MkIII, Viper MkIII, Eagle, Hauler, Sidewinder (no restrictions on basic outfitting)
  • Engineer mods, Enhanced Performance Thrusters and FSD boost are disallowed
  • Single leaderboard entry (you can run as many times as you like, only your best time will be used)
As you can see, this is a very simple race with no additional complications.

Hm... Actually hang on, what does this button do?

ndMwNNz.jpg

... Oh.

The Options

You may choose to race according to certain conditions as defined above, to have time subtracted from your final race time.
Which options you take is entirely up to you - you can choose to do none, or if you really want to you can try to do all of them (although that may be a little optimistic!)

Certain options will require extra evidence as detailed below. A full run video is an acceptable (and highly recommended!) replacement for extra evidence.
Low performance impact video recording can be done on most PCs using OBS, or using Shadowplay for Nvidia GPUs or Raptr for AMD GPUs.

Additional details on specific options:
Clarifications/restrictions:
  • Pulling Your Weight: You can't be carrying shields - all optional internals must be full-size cargo racks.
  • Disregard the Constabulary: You must have at least one offensive weapon on board.
  • Disregard the Constabulary: Hardpoints must be deployed around or before entering the no-fire zone, and must be kept out at least until through the slot. 20% is removed from the bonus each time you forget.
  • Status: Friendly: You must do this every time you approach a station; 20% is removed from the bonus each time you forget.
  • Status: Friendly: Station name must be in full (both words) and spelled correctly in the sent chat message: 10% is removed from the bonus for typos! Also no copy-pasting or macros! :p
  • Ten Year Plan: The modules must spell DECADE in order, with the first D being the Power Plant all the way down to E Sensors.
  • Race-About-Face: You must be going fully backwards as you go through the slot - centre of forward view must be facing towards back of station/out into space as appropriate. 20% is removed from the bonus for each time this isn't the case.
  • Race-About-Face: You can head towards the slot however you like, as long as you are facing fully backwards when travelling through it.
  • Race-About-Face: Mass numbers are based on hull mass (as shown in the hull column on Coriolis), not with modules fitted.
Additional evidence requirements:
  • Pulling Your Weight: additional screenshot of cargo tab/commodities market before launch
  • Disregard the Constabulary: screenshots on approach and departure of each waypoint showing hardpoints deployed
  • Status: Friendly: screenshots on approach to each waypoint showing text in local chat
  • Race-About-Face: screenshots while passing through the slot facing backwards for each entry and exit.
If you intend to try these options, it is highly recommended to take video recording of your run rather than hammering your poor screenshot key. Also it means you have hilarious video evidence when things go wrong. :)

How do I enter?

The basics are covered in the BRC's guide on entering races.

During the event, you're allowed to submit provisional evidence consisting of a start and end screenshot. This is so you don't have to organise and upload a ton of screenshots only to produce a better time five minutes later.
By the end of the event, though, you'll have to produce full evidence for your best run(s), which will consist of:
  • Outfitting screenshots (1 x hardpoints, 1-2 x core internals, 1-2 x optional internals)
  • Start screenshot (on the pad at Haisheng Orbital)
  • Waypoint screenshots (on the pad at Covey Gateway, Lukyanenko Vision and Swanson Port)
  • End screenshot (on the pad at Haisheng Orbital)
  • Any extra screenshots for advanced options
As above, a full run video can be used as replacement for these screenshots as long as it shows the relevant information.

So, as a whole you'll need to provide the following information when you submit times:
  • CMDR name and forum username
  • Race class
  • Ship type and name
  • Race time without any adjustments applied (handy calculator)
  • Which Advanced options you used
  • Link to screenshots on image hosting site (e.g. imgur) and/or run video
Send that big pile of info to me either by forum PM or as an email to alot@buckyballracing.org.uk.

Please submit your times within 48 hours of running the race so the scoreboard can (hopefully) be updated in a timely manner. The race organiser reserves the right to penalise late submissions! :p

One final note: some racers have reported that using the non-Horizons client (the normal Elite Dangerous one) can result in faster hyperspace jumps. If you really want to shave those extra seconds, consider making the switch!

So... Tweak your ships, fire up your engines ... and choose wisely. Submissions are open. :D

Last edited:
Having seen the name of the options, it is clear that I need to at least attempt an entry in my Hauler, given that she is called Shirley Knot.

Beyond that, we shall see once I've finished laughing at the rules and digested them more fully over the next couple of days :)

Intent to Race
CMDR Hanekura Shizuka
Hauler (Old-school Cool)
Ship Name: Stryker

Looks like I picked the wrong week to fly into a neutron star...

EDIT: Opening run completed. Some people are going to post some very small times, I think; if I could do what I did, I shudder to think what an experienced in-bubble racer could do. Had some fun with this one; had the chaff, the weapons, the DECADE, the message to the stations...

Last edited:
Pulling Your Weight and Pulling Your Leg seem to be mutually exclusive? Or can I have shields and then fill every *other* slot with cargo to qualify for Pulling Your Weight?

Yes!!!
This is going to be hilarious :) (especially with this new t-flight)

Expect to see an orange asp hung up on the toaster rack by it's oversized spoiler at Haisheng :)

I'm thinking a Hauler for too-cool-for-school entry and the "Old Faithful" Asp for unlimited but really no clue.

Pulling Your Weight and Pulling Your Leg seem to be mutually exclusive? Or can I have shields and then fill every *other* slot with cargo to qualify for Pulling Your Weight?

Nope; in fact, to a large extent, they are complimentary. The point of Pulling Your Leg is to not have shields. If all of your optionals are stuffed to the gills with cargo, you're not going to have room for shields.

Nope; in fact, to a large extent, they are complimentary. The point of Pulling Your Leg is to not have shields. If all of your optionals are stuffed to the gills with cargo, you're not going to have room for shields.
There are some builds were taking shields instead of cargo would eliminate a jump, which is theoretically worth a lot more time than the bonus for not carrying shields, unless you *also* take no damage, at which point the in-practice arguments for smaller fuel tanks (and fuel scoops) also start creeping in. So I'd like to know, officially. :)

Last edited:
Hooray!! A new race begins and the Unlimited category looks good for quite a few ships (and with those jump distances the loadouts can be quite diverse). I'll just declare a couple for now and see how I get on...
Intent to race:
CMDR Edelgard von Rhein
Old-School Cool:
ship type: Cobra Mk 3
ship name: Null Geodesic
Unlimited:
ship type: Viper Mk 4
ship name: Rust Monster
ship type: Lakon Type 6
ship name: Bento Beauty

As Hanekura Shizuka noted - those two are, if anything, very complimentary.
Neither one allows you to carry shields; for Pulling Your Weight it's because you have to be stuffed to the brim with cargo, and for Pulling Your Leg it's because ... well, because that's what the option requires - "complete the race with no shields or repairs." :D

Re: Race-About-Face ... is it OK to use FA Off to flip at the last minute or do we have to do it properly ...

:D
I'll allow FA-off flipping - per the option-specific clarification, "You must be going fully backwards as you go through the slot - centre of forward view must be facing towards back of station/out into space as appropriate."
That's the only requirement - if you want to line it up going forwards and flip around that's fine, as long as you can show you're fully backwards when you're going through the slot (although I probably won't penalise in the cases where an attempt was clearly made but it, uh, didn't go quite right :D).

I'll add these two to the clarifications in some way :)

Errr.... how do you trigger a screenshot in Nvidia from VR?

Flail around blindly in an attempt to hit the F10 key! don't bind F11 to self destruct, oh, and make sure you're looking at the clock (the field of view is really narrow). Also worth increasing the screen res to fullscreen as it's quite low by default and this will maximise what you can capture in the image.

Last edited:
Top Bottom