Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Advanced Options (24.03.3303 - 02.04.3303)

I made very many attempts at Race-About-Face, most of which were aborted due to ship destruction or some other mistake that would ruin the time. The 3 or 4 attempts that were completed did not beat my regular run, so were never submitted. But I'm now much better at certain types of maneuvering!

Good race, Alot. Very challenging!

I made very many attempts at Race-About-Face, most of which were aborted due to ship destruction or some other mistake that would ruin the time. The 3 or 4 attempts that were completed did not beat my regular run, so were never submitted. But I'm now much better at certain types of maneuvering!

Good race, Alot. Very challenging!

Same here, though I feel I made a tactical error in sticking with the Cobra over the Hauler. I went with the Cobra initially because I felt that the Cobra's superior speed and agility would more than compensate for the extra jump I had to make, given the options I chose.

I then chose the friendly option.

Which required me to type.

In VR.

Quickly and accurately.

Before I reached the mail slot.

I'm a decent touch typer, but the Cobra's speed required me to find home row on my first attempt, each time. Fortunately for me, I had rudder pedals, so I could steer with my feet while typing, but I had some close calls in the trespassing department.

I agree the hauler was a decent choice for the friendly option. I began typing the next message when leaving a station, wrote another part in the acceleration phase of the supercruise (a bit risky, but worked well on all stations except Covey) and then I only had a few words left for the final approach.

Thanks Alot for this great race! o7

Oh dear, I had it in my head it finished in the 4th. It seems I have missed the boat.

Catch you at the next one CMDRs.

Thanks alot it was a cool race :)

I agree the hauler was a decent choice for the friendly option. I began typing the next message when leaving a station, wrote another part in the acceleration phase of the supercruise (a bit risky, but worked well on all stations except Covey) and then I only had a few words left for the final approach.

And the funny thing is, I completely thought of doing the same, write the messages during cruise time, but I also thought "naaa, the partial message would probably get deleted as soon as I change instance, pointless idea". Why didn't I even bother to try? Because my head just serves as a counterweight to drag the body around without stumbling, here's why.

Here are my final runs in both category, for everyone interested in a "Cookiehole - quite not" experience :p:

[video=youtube;WdN6UEGkeUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdN6UEGkeUY[/video]

[video=youtube;pVBuVJ9J9Uk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVBuVJ9J9Uk[/video]

Last edited:
I began typing the next message when leaving a station, wrote another part in the acceleration phase of the supercruise (a bit risky, but worked well on all stations except Covey) and then I only had a few words left for the final approach.

To quote a certain racer:
cookiehole said:
Why didn't I seriously think about that!

Last edited:
Why didn't I think about that! (at all)

I guess a race like this deserves a deep analysis (and I'm not quite in shape for that this evening). So first, here's DATAAAAAA!!!:
Videos:

Spreadsheet

Last edited:
Right, rather late in the day... provisional results!

kxSMsOr.png

A couple of final runs in unlimited over the last few hours - Raiko snuck onto the board in The Nomad, finding that forwards is still the optimal direction for an Asp Explorer.
Meanwhile, Bruski swapped the Courier out for the good ol' Cobra Mk III Flaming Onionhead Express to shave a little off his time, causing me to finally have to widen the "ship name" column at the very last.

That leaves the provisional podium with a biscuit, a Bosch and a bear - Cookiehole taking the win, followed by Aken B. and Bruski.

DfPl0V9.png

Bruski also made another last-minute entry in Old-School Cool, with ... the Cobra Mk III ... Flaming Onionhead Express. Hang on...
*compares entry forms carefully*
*notes that they're just the same one photocopied with the race class scribbled out*
Yes, Bruski has observantly noted that there was no rule against submitting the same run in multiple classes. Given that it only actually improves his position in one of the two classes, the marshals can make a guess at which one Bruski would pick if made to choose, so the sneakiness is allowed. :p

Oh, and pay no attention to the Alot behind the curtain - I thought I'd finally have a last-minute go and see what all this kerfuffle about flying backwards is about. Turns out it's quite fun, if a little tricky. I've given myself a non-scoring leaderboard slot - consider it a very late par time. :D

That leaves the provisional Old-School Cool podium looking ... exactly like the Unlimited one. Special mention to Drakhyr for steadily-improving times and lots of experimentation throughout, even if some pesky bear came and knocked him off the podium with about three hours to go. :p

Please shout at me if I've missed any runs, check marks and/or ship name spellings. Final results in a day or two. :D

Finally, I'd like to say sorry to everyone who's sent me interesting, thought-provoking PM commentary with their race entries over the last ten days or so and got no reply. It's been quite a busy couple of weeks for me, and keeping the race ticking over nicely took up enough time that I couldn't really spare more to chat to everyone!
It's been extremely good fun watching everyone finding their preferred tactics, and trying out lots of different ships and strategies (shoutout to Edelgard - I may have teased you in the updates but it's been great fun seeing your participation :D).
Thanks very much to everyone for taking part, and I'm glad everything worked out as well as it did - it was very difficult to try and come up with fair bonuses, but with a couple of exceptions it seemed like everything saw a fair amount of use!

Last edited:
Not that it helped me, and others may have shown off the same in their videos, but there were 2 tricks I was using.

First was the aforementioned typing while in hyperspace and/or supercruise, so that on station arrival, sending the message amounted to simply hitting ENTER twice.

Second, when flying in reverse with bigger ships that couldn't risk the FA-off flip maneuver, I still went FA-off, because you get full throttle speed, rather than only half.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I didn't manage to squeeze another run in on Sunday night as I unfortunately got a migraine which meant there was no chance. Though to be fair I may have just been able to scrape myself into 6th, but I doubt I would have gotten any higher than that. It was a really great race though and a huge thanks to Alot for organising it and especially coming up with all of the crazy options. And a massive congratulations to Cookiehole and Aken for somehow getting under that 10 minute barrier, my brain just can't really comprehend that...

And for Alec, yes EliteMeet was a very good day and the beermats were indeed distributed by Drakhyr across the tables :)

Many thanks to Alot for staging this race! o7. Congratulations to cookiehole for the win and well done to everyone who took part!
It was a really good short course race and it was great to see a variety of different ships taking part and being competitive. For me, this was the chance I had been waiting for to race a number of ships that I had been meaning to put through their paces for some time. Some of these I have been preparing for different roles and wanted an idea of how well they handled, e.g. my Sidewinder is meant for canyon racing, my Viper Mk IV is a multirole smuggler/missions runner/explorer, and my Vulture is a bounty hunter that can also go into conflict zones etc. . Others I want to race in more, especially my Eagle Mk2, and I think now I will be inclined to bring my Viper Mk IV back as well (and my Vulture if jump range isn't an issue). I've also learned a bit more about refining different aspects of my flying, so I'll see how well I can get on in future...
I also want to say that this was the first race in a while where I have bumped into (almost literally) so many other racers during the race itself. Maybe it's my networking or just the times I tend to race but this isn't something that I see so much that I take it for granted. I think it must have been Kick the Alien when I last was out on the course at the same time as so many other commanders. (Although this might also be because many races don't have a fixed course, so different people can be racing at one time but be passing through completely different systems). Good to see you all!
Fly fast everyone! o7

Thanks for a great race Alot - it was a lot of fun. :)

Despite my many cockups trying to the extra things needed to gain bonuses, I did get very fond of my lightweight chaff launchers! :D So seeing carrying them has zero effect on speed and only a tiny, tiny effect on jump range, The Nomad will be bringing fireworks to all future BRC races.

And now that everyone knows about the cunning idea of pre-typed greetings I expect stations all around the bubble will be "looking nice today" at future races. :)

And now that everyone knows about the cunning idea of pre-typed greetings I expect stations all around the bubble will be "looking nice today" at future races. :)

I must say, on the few occasions when I was out on the course with other racers it was a) hilarious and b) really useful to see "hello xxx, you're looking nice today" suddenly pop up in local chat as it was a nice advance warning that, in about 30 seconds time, a gun toting, chaff popping ship was about to come flying through the mailslot - possibly backwards - and that now might not be the best time to launch! Pre-typing never actually occured to me either so I might start doing that in the future, even when I'm not Buckyball Racing. Just some standard greeting/warning like "Buckyball Racer incoming!".

Again, great race Alot, you've raised the bar on what's possible for a race.

:D

Again, great race Alot, you've raised the bar on what's possible for a race.

All the while many of us raised several glasses at the bar :D

Given the last couple ones, I'll be happy if my race won't raise eyebrows, let' not even talk about bars. :p

A truly great and hilarious race Alot, thank you! ;)

Top Bottom