Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Armed and Dangerous (22-30 July 3303)

I've just watched the videos on the BRC website. Hilarious! I definitely need to practice docking manually, I usually use a docking computer because...well, I'm lazy. Some of the dockings in the video are insane! Should be quite amusing

I hear rumours that Sarah Jane "mistress of minions" Avory has souped up the docking computer to cope with agressively landing a fully engineered 800m/s unshielded ship so it can still touch down feather light without a scratch. If this is true then we may have to seriously consider outlawing the use of docking computers (it's certainly something I'll think about for future races). So yeah - get practicing! ;)

Incidentally, if you're doing some background reading on us and watching old Buckyball videos then I can also recommend ..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/217933-The-Buckyball-Fllight-Academy

.. and also ..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/291110-Alec-s-Buckyball-discography

Welcome to the BRC!

Last edited:
I've just watched the videos on the BRC website. Hilarious! I definitely need to practice docking manually, I usually use a docking computer because...well, I'm lazy. Some of the dockings in the video are insane! Should be quite amusing

Practice is good. Here are some examples of what not​ to do...

[video=youtube;6ZNKG7TrP1c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZNKG7TrP1c[/video]

I'm in! I will also advertise the event on my faction's forums. I'm sure some of our 300-community will be interested in this race :D

Expect Team Hussars to give it all! [hotas]

If you can wait 20mins I have a video uploading that you can use for advertising purposes! ;)

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I need to translate the OP anyway (hope you don't mind; I'll link to this thread of course) - that's gonna take me a while :)

I'll make sure to include the video as well.

Having done another 5% towards my final Corvette rank this morning (just 5% to go now!) I grew weary of Niu Hsing and decided to pay Viete Colony a visit.

This is the end result. :D

[video=youtube_share;K7R9_T-56AY]https://youtu.be/K7R9_T-56AY[/video]

Feel free to share far and wide (assuming Edelgard is happy with the additional publicity).
I'll post this on the ED Community and Hutton Orital facebook groups and tweet it to @EliteDangerous.

Intent to race. (Relatively slowly)

Forum name: aRJay
Commander Name: Roger J Smith

Class Adder Special:-
Wilson Accountant - The only Adder to take part in the Space Rats follow up on Planet Wilson.

Unlimited Class
Dolphin - Streaker.
Cobra III - Lazy Eight.
Orca - Jackhammer.

Note these are not truly unlimited ships as they are barely engineered and worse I am flying them

You cannot take that off, so I guess no...
I think it is possible to sell it and I think it should be possible to buy one wherever there is outfitting when you want it back afterwards. I'm not sure if it is worth anything, though (it has no mass, at least). I'm not going to require people to sell it if they have Horizons - it is up to them if they want to keep it as it is not an advantage to have one. In fact, it can even be a disadvantage to really close flybys, although that will only apply to the approach to Bushkov Dock as all the other stations orbit worlds with an atmosphere. Then again, having one but running the game in non-Horizons mode has the same effect and I'm not going to be asking people to tell me which mode they ran in. So basically don't worry about it - I don't need to know and whether you run with or without it is up to you.

Last edited:
Exactly as Edelgard wrote, the planetary suite has no mass or power requirements so it doesn't contribute to ship performance, can be sold and bought anytime and the only difference it makes is in adding the blue exclusion zone around landable planets. So if anything, it makes gravity braking maneuvers trickier for Horizons users keeping it equipped, since the blue exclusion zone has the habit to pop up at the last moment, usually when it's also unexpectedly large.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Stating my intent to race... 1 maybe more things. I imagine, but clarification would be nice, that only 1 unlimited run will be valid? I'd quite like to get the Cobra out as it's been a while, but only the FSD is engineered and I really don't know if I want to sully the rest of it. But the Isil won't be quick enough to trouble the top half of the table I reckon.

Don't have an Adder yet...

Well if you want to know how to dock a T6 :)

[video=youtube;RiHiNs4rMXU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHiNs4rMXU[/video]

Welcome to the loony bin by the way, great to have you on board and don't worry I have a lot more videos of me crashing that I do docking well :D As has been said the enjoyment and amount of tips you will pick up from the race thread alone is worth it. Don't get disheartened in the first few races if you end up near the bottom, apart from anything else, the tips you pick up here will help every other aspect of your game experience. Plus you'll never fly at a station without boosting again :p

I'm in! I will also advertise the event on my faction's forums. I'm sure some of our 300-community will be interested in this race :D

Expect Team Hussars to give it all! [hotas]

Yeah, got ya hooked :) Where's Ian?

Me, either... in fact, that's one of the very few small ships I've never flown. Maybe if I find myself with a bit of extra time I might give it a go. It can't be worse than the Viper IV (never again!) that I tried out in BBRX.

Well if you want to know how to dock a T6 :)

That's probably the hardest I've ever seen anyone set down a T6 without exploding it. o7

Welcome to the loony bin by the way, great to have you on board and don't worry I have a lot more videos of me crashing that I do docking well :D As has been said the enjoyment and amount of tips you will pick up from the race thread alone is worth it. Don't get disheartened in the first few races if you end up near the bottom, apart from anything else, the tips you pick up here will help every other aspect of your game experience. Plus you'll never fly at a station without boosting again :p

Seconded on all counts... except, frighteningly enough, the last one! Joyeuse is so fast with her new thrusters (640m/s unboosted, 868m/s boosted) that if I boost on approach at some stations, I won't get my docking confirmation before I enter the slot! So I've had to adopt unboosted approaches in some situations! (The other frightening thing is that I now have to push the landing gear button before I enter the toast rack if i want them down before I get to the pad. That's the one drawback to Gutamaya ships, that blasted slow landing gear of theirs...)

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
That's probably the hardest I've ever seen anyone set down a T6 without exploding it. o7

Seconded on all counts... except, frighteningly enough, the last one! Joyeuse is so fast with her new thrusters (640m/s unboosted, 868m/s boosted) that if I boost on approach at some stations, I won't get my docking confirmation before I enter the slot! So I've had to adopt unboosted approaches in some situations! (The other frightening thing is that I now have to push the landing gear button before I enter the toast rack if i want them down before I get to the pad. That's the one drawback to Gutamaya ships, that blasted slow landing gear of theirs...)

Why thank you, it's all about the angle of impact with a T6! Though that was most definitely not planned I did the classic, realise I'd boosted 1 too many times and hope for the best :D

Isil is the only ship I've done full DD tuning on and that was mainly as she's my exploration ship. To be honest, and as shocking as this may sound, I don't really like really fast ships for normal travelling. Even with G5 DD the Asp only does ~420 boosting as it's so weighed down with gear.

Why thank you, it's all about the angle of impact with a T6! Though that was most definitely not planned I did the classic, realise I'd boosted 1 too many times and hope for the best :D

Isil is the only ship I've done full DD tuning on and that was mainly as she's my exploration ship. To be honest, and as shocking as this may sound, I don't really like really fast ships for normal travelling. Even with G5 DD the Asp only does ~420 boosting as it's so weighed down with gear.

I am way too much of a speed demon for my own good. I won't fly anything that can't make at least 500*. Even my FdL boosts to about 508 in full combat trim.

*Exceptions include my Keelback, which is purely a hangar for my SLF, and my A* Challenge builds as they spend 99% of their existence in supercruise and hyperspace).

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
OK so I just brought an Adder and went into livery, obviously I haven't brought any paintjobs and so the only one I had was the Black Friday one. Well that sorted out the naming at least :p

CMDR name: Ozric
Race class: Adder Special
Ship name: Slackbladder

gfQMh9hh.jpg

Practice is good. Here are some examples of what not​ to do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZNKG7TrP1c

Thank you for putting this together, absolutely hilarious. The audio commentary is mostly crap though.

Pun very much intended. :D:p

Me, either... in fact, that's one of the very few small ships I've never flown. Maybe if I find myself with a bit of extra time I might give it a go. It can't be worse than the Viper IV (never again!) that I tried out in BBRX.

An A-specced Adder is something similar to a Fiesta ST. A bit quirky looks and not a real racing car, but you'll be surprised by how much it's fast and fun to drive. Problem is, Edelgard is giving us the base trim, 1.0 Ecoboost version of it. We'll have to make a virtue of necessity. :p

Top Bottom