Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Buckey Ball Raleigh (15th - 17th March) midweek madness

The current leaderboard after coming up to 13 hours of exciting and close-fought racing is as follows.

In the lead is CMDR Kliggish.
Lol. :)

It will probably be Thursday when I make a run. I bought the raikobot an Asp last night, for this event and the mining CG, but it's currently got a 5C FSD. I need the two Varati CGs to fund a suitable drive!

Lol. :)

It will probably be Thursday when I make a run. I bought the raikobot an Asp last night, for this event and the mining CG, but it's currently got a 5C FSD. I need the two Varati CGs to fund a suitable drive!
this is gonna sound like im telling you how to play.. which is not my intention.. its just some info that may help.
I do smuggling runs to almagest for my new chars money.. 3 or 4 trips..in a cobra... so 2 hrs.. if the random gods are with you will get you asp money, you don't need robigo.. which always has someone on the med pad.
I dont relog out to solo unless there are no missions available at all.. I also don't sell the cargo.. and stack.. I try and take what's there.. sometimes its 1 or 2 mil.. sometimes its one mission for 7mill.
I buy in li rong yu or what evers territory for the 15% discount..
im in the 33% bracket for the mining cg with a couple of hundered tons of palladium, the time that took I could have got 10 mill + from smuggling or long distance delivery.
as a long distance racer.. smuggling runs or long distance cargo fits the bill for our skillset best imo.
could have raced furrys course 4 or 5 times in the time it took to get 50 palladium.. ;) the mining cg would be less frustrating if they allowed any mined precious metal / ore.. like platinum painite and osmium as well as palladium.. just finding the one type.. is randomness. nooo roid with 50% osmium.. nooo bertrandite.. indite.. noooo roid with 50% painite.. .. oh go on then.

back on topic.. it took me a while to realise the name of the race is the name of the stations.. durrrr

Last edited:
EDIT: Run Done, and time submitted, nice little quick one furry I loved it. 15 mins is easy to do.

Run Done, this is a nice quick buckey ball raleigh and it looks like it allows for some good results without much planning.
Now onto shaving some jumps off... :rolleyes:
Where's Alot? There's a 10-minute-barrier to be broken* :D

*actually this is probably very very difficult/only doable in the Anaconda jump-wise/impossible

Last edited:
In the lead is CMDR cookiehole.

In second place is CMDR Kliggish.

In third place is CMDR AELSONGUERRA from dimension X.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I'm going to try it in my shiny golden Asp :D

Cmdr Ozric
Isil (the name doesn't sit quite as well now it's painted gold, but I had to give the skin a run out sometime ;))
Asp Explorer

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Of course, in this race it really doesn't work if you forget to re-fuel at Ball Dock...

Yeah, I certainly didn't do that either... [uhh]

It really was another one of "those" nights tonight. I shared the racetrack with Aken B but I made a lot of mistakes including messing up getting through the toast rack at both stations! I forgot how hard the Asp was to handle (still in explorer thrusters/PD mode) compared to the racing Hauler :)

Still I managed to get a time of some sort at least.

It seemed to me your stop at CD-37 641 was abnormally long, that should explain...sorry to hear! It happens, I think we all know too well. :rolleyes:

I finally took the plunge and decided that if I was to race, I was to race hard, fast and to the top without compromises, the best route for the best ship, for the prize and the glory!

Who am I kidding, I raise you a Sidey. Arriving late, but doing it in style. Somewhat. :D

Cmdr Aken B.
Ship name: Superluminal Coffin
Ship type: Sidewinder
Racing in Open

Submitting time and stuff asap.

Last edited:
The leaderboard at the end of day one:

In the lead: CMDR cookiehole in the Hauler Cookiebox.

In second place: CMDR Ozric in the Asp Explorer Isil.

In third place: CMDR Kliggish in the Asp Explorer Khaki Mullet.

In fourth: CMDR Samwell Drakhyr in the Diamondback Explorer Black Maria.

In fifth: CMDR Aken B. in the Sidewinder Superluminal Coffin.

Bringing up the rear: CMDR AELSONGUERRA from Dimension X in the Cobra Mk III AELSONGUERRA's Cobra Mk III.

CMDR Jak did not submit an official time but would have been in fourth. CMDRs Heat Shield, Stern Winter, the raikobot and ADT OOPHOI are yet to take to the track.

The full leaderboard and times will be revealed after I reconfigure the race-o-matic to show a table without the laps and speed stats sufficient anticipation has built...

[size=+2]CLASSIFICATION[/size]
RSECMDR nameForum nameShip nameShip typeRaced
11cookieholecookieholeCookieboxHauler00:11:--
21OzricOzricIsilAsp Explorer00:13:--
32KliggishrobinjbKhaki MulletAsp Explorer00:13:--
43Inodoro PereyraOnaneDegraded ControlsAsp Explorer00:13:--
54Heat Shieldracer1JackAsp Explorer00:13:--
61Samwell DrakhyrdrakhyrBlack MariaDiamondback Explorer00:13:--
71Aken B.AkenBoschSuperluminal CoffinSidewinder00:17:--
81AELSONGUERRAaelson.guerraAELSONGUERRA's Cobra Mk IIICobra Mk III00:20:--

In case anyone wondered I am watching this race from the side lines, not because I'm too busy mining (you guys didn't seriously think I'd forego a race for the sake of a few rocks did you?) but because I'm suffering from the worlds worst case of man-flu and am finding that even Catchphrase is beyond my mental capacity right now, let alone Buckyball racing. That said, I might actually have a go later on today. If you don't see a submission from me then it probably didn't go well.

P.S. great to see some new names turning up, out of curiosity how did you find out about us? Was it the Galnet article?

Last edited:
Aaarghh..Had two runs this morning, but are missing the screenshot from Ball Dock for both. Think I need to install one of those big red electric door opener buttons for screenshots.

EDIT: Or this
I had not been a fan of video capture, due to an ancient machine not performing well while simultaneously racing and recording. However I tried out the open source project that Robin linked to a few races back, and I'm a total convert. No more missing a screenshot, at the relatively minor expense of having to use the Windows Snipping Tool to extract the necessary shots.

https://obsproject.com/

Sorry. :( I'll get that taken care of, real soon now.

Thanks for capturing my slowness. ;)

Initial report for other racers...the Hauler probably isn't going to cut it, despite a lack of fuel concerns. If I don't do better with another ship, I'll be posting a difficult-to-read 13:17 with The Mini Enigma, but I'm going to circle around and come back with:

Intent to race...

CMDR JAK
Scrum Me​ (Diamondback Scout)
You know...it would help if I flew an appropriate ship.

Lots of useful advice
Thanks. :)

My reply is quite off topic, so using spoilers:
I'm avoiding the smuggling runs for a couple of reasons:
  1. I thought that I'd use CGs only to raise cash for my new CMDR, for no reason other than a few others in the CG thread were doing the same thing.
  2. My play sessions with CMDR Raiko at the moment consist of travelling 5-6kly in ~2hr runs following a series of pre-planned waypoints. Doing those long-haul 'smuggling' and 'poo hauling' missions would be too similar.

To be honest although the credits they pay are nice, I think that the long range missions are just the same 'lazy' game design as CGs, PP, etc that annoys you. This is confirmed by the 'poo hauling' missions for 1M+ that are available in the same stations, and the pirates who are soooo despirate to rob you of that precious 'Sothis Poo' (other long distance excrement is also available). lol :D

I'm hoping (without holding my breath) that 2.1 will do something to fix this. Long range missions generated in rares stations or faction capitals to haul rare commodities or mission specific documents 400ly to those frontier stations would be better (and would allow pirates back into the game).

I do appreciate the advice though, it's very helpful for anyone wanting to save up credits with a new CMDR quickly. :)

I think I'll have my 5A FSD for tomorrow anyway. I've only used the raikobot for a few hours so far (at last week's LHS 3447 CGs), and he's got a viper, type-6 and asp. I was planning to avoid asps entirely with this account, but a mining CG in the same week as this race kind of pushed me into it. ;)

I've got enough palladium to know that I'll get a few million as a bonus (as far as I know 1t currently puts you into the top 66%!!!! lol), and 30 minutes in a RES will be enough to guarantee at least top 50% in the bounty hunting CG which is at least another 3M.

could have raced furrys course 4 or 5 times in the time it took to get 50 palladium.. ;) the mining cg would be less frustrating if they allowed any mined precious metal / ore.. like platinum painite and osmium as well as palladium.. just finding the one type.. is randomness. nooo roid with 50% osmium.. nooo bertrandite.. indite.. noooo roid with 50% painite.. .. oh go on then.
Totally agree, the mining CGs never seem to work well. The worst problem with them is that as soon as the mined product is transferred between players it's no longer "mined" and so doesn't count for the CG.

This makes it harder than it should be for groups of miners to work together filling up a "mothership" that hauls the ore and returns with fresh limpets (it is supposed to be a community goal after all!). It also prevents pirates from contributing anything they steal to the CG, which just further frustrates those players who actually try to pirate properly rather than just slaughtering anyone they can interdict (see also my thoughts above on long range missions).

The last couple of hauling CGs (Free the slaves and building a new station in LHS 3447) ended up being immensely profitable by the way. They compared far more favourably with Robigo runs, etc. I don't enjoy hauling much, so I just make a few token runs, but a newbie player could have gotten into at least a python, possibly a conda just from one of those hauling CGs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom