Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Buckey Ball Raleigh (15th - 17th March) midweek madness

I'd be up for it, after the Wasat cup I thought that the possibility of a race from 1 system to a planetary base on another, then SRV to another base, then fly to another system would be pretty awesome...

That was exactly my idea originally but alas, after Wasat (and my own lengthy search for pairs of landable bases around 20-30k apart ... total found so far = 0) I've had to put that one on hold.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
The gold paintjob may not come up well in photos, but it makes its impression in video quite well. Even Ozric's attempt at bringing the Asp in the slot made its impression. :)

Hehe, that actually looks more dignified than I remember :)

I reckon I must have done around 9 or 10 runs and for the first time I am rather annoyed I didn't manage to beat Cookie as I know I could have, though considering he only did 1 run he could have easily improved his time I'm sure.

My biggest issue with the trials I did with the hauler was the fact I went for 2 Fuel Tanks so that I didn't have to refuel along the way, definitely not the fastest way it appears.

I did two runs, it's only that I didn't hand my first run in (the second one is practically always faster, 56s in my case). The second one was relatively good though, not much room for improvement apart from route optimization / maybe ship change to an Asp. :)
More detailed stuff probably coming this evening, video is still loading...

[SIZE=+2]CLASSIFICATION[/SIZE]

CMDR Cookiebot in the Cookiebox holds on to the lead despite a late charge by CMDRs Ozric in Isil and Jak in The Less Obvious Enigma.

Congratulations to the cookiebots. Their prize is a tastefully desaturated rendering of their chariot, adorned with the logos of the Buckyball Racing Club and the Buckey Ball Raleigh.
<snip>

[SIZE=+2]STATISTICS[/SIZE]
The Asp Explorer was the most popular ship for this race, ahead of the Hauler. Racers chose wisely; those two ships monopolised the top five places and held eight of the top ten spots.
<snip>

There was a fairly even number of entries on each of the three days.
<snip>

CMDR Jak was the most enthusiastic racer with three attempts. Aken B., Adt Oophoi and Ozric all improved on their first attempt with a subsequent entry.
<snip>

As expected, the second leg of the race was a minute faster than the first on average; for most builds it would have been a jump shorter.
<snip>

Here's the time plot of each entry.
<snip>

[SIZE=+2]RACE BALANCE[/SIZE]
I tried to balance the race so that a range of ships would be in with a chance. And because I hate Asps I tried to weight it so that one wouldn't win. Although it was a humble Hauler which achieved victory, Asps dominated the rest of the leaderboard.

With its long jump range the Asp would have been a shoo-in for victory in a fair race, hence the fuel rules which were designed to prevent it, the Anaconda and the Diamondback Explorer from completing the course in nine short jumps. I used Alot's edts tool to calculate the shortest route for thirteen commonly (and not so commonly)-raced ships and how much fuel it would require to run that route, then adjusted the rules so that the three favourite ships would not have enough fuel to complete the journey without refueling. The class 1 fuel scoop rule ensured that even with aggressive scooping you would still need to scoop for long enough that you would only gain a few seconds' advantage over an eleven-jump ship. In most cases those ships would be faster and could make up the time.

I estimated that the Adder, Anaconda, Asp Explorer, Asp Scout, Diamondback Explorer, Courier and Hauler should be able to achieve roughly comparable times. As it turned out only four of those ships were even entered.

I also used edts to locate all the "Buckey" stations, all the "Ball" stations and all the "Raleigh" stations in the bubble, then calculated the distances between them. The fact that the three stations were close to the star and in low orbit was a nice bonus; they were chosen primarily for the distance between them. Other stations would have been much harder to balance and/or much longer to race.
Very well done, furry. :)

For what it's worth, I experimented with both the Asp Scout and Diamondback Explorer, and simply couldn't make them work. I probably just didn't have the right loadouts.

Also...what's edts?
edit: found it

Last edited:
Here's a vid of the Imperial Courier run with a brief cameo of Ozric there doing the bumpy. My supercruise needs work, I guess.

[video=youtube;YhelXGJNJp4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhelXGJNJp4[/video]

Stripped it right out to get eleven jumps and still had to scoop a little bit, which is asking for trouble in a Courier. Some general observations; outfitting takes just about as long as a hyperspace jump, 40ish seconds, considered selling a two ton gas tank before I refueled at Ball, borderline illegal? Didn't do it anyway. A Courier without shields is real weak. Undercarriage time is too long, saved me probably from being too reckless in dock.

Video is finally up:
[video=youtube_share;32Gbx2910BA]https://youtu.be/32Gbx2910BA[/video]

Loadout: Hauler with 4t fuel tank and optimized for maximum speed, as the 9 jump route seemed to be only doable with the 2t tank and a lot of scooping.
Route: I'm too lazy to look that up, but I just used the ingame route planner after having pre-planned the loadout with Coriolis and EDTS. Not perfect fuel consumption-wise, but it did the job and only needed a bit of scooping during the first leg.
Supercruise and Docking: The usual stuff. Raleigh Orbital was ideal for the direct approach and Ball Dock was a good distance for one braking loop. Landing and takeoff posed no problems as there was enough hull for the two dockings :D
Stats: Two attempts, second one submitted (first try was 56s slower than that, mainly due to overshooting Raleigh Orbital by 100km or so), no insurance claims :eek:
Optimization: Seems I got the flying part right; looks like that is one of the biggest factors in MWM events.
A lightweight Hauler or an Asp could do the whole thing in 9 jumps with a bit of scooping (and as I didn't test, I'm not sure on how much that would counterweight the 1:30 saved in jumps). Maybe the Courier would have been a great option aswell, depending on how much it would have to scoop though. :)

Last edited:
Putting clips together in the correct order: Check
Awful video compression: Check
Forgetting to add any kind of title or descriptive text: Check
Catchy speed rock tune: Check
Subsequent copyright infringement: Check (sorry to all my countless followers in Guadalupa, Martinica, Saint Martin and Saint-Barthèlemy)

Here's the race with commander Ozric, where I had plentiful occasion to admire his golden paintjob from a rear point of view. Sad that in the end he got lost in scooping somewhere, chances were high that we could have stuck ourselves in the slot at Raleigh. :p

[video=youtube;0E5r6oqrOAo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E5r6oqrOAo[/video]

Highlights: the start at Buckey and the arrival and departure at Ball (starting around the 2:00 mark), the rest is sped-up fluff with Motley Crue and Metallica as added bonus.

Last edited:
Here's the race with commander Ozric, where I had plentiful occasion to admire his golden paintjob from a rear point of view. Sad that in the end he got lost in scooping somewhere, chances were high that we could have stuck ourselves in the slot at Raleigh. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E5r6oqrOAo

Highlights: the start at Buckey and the arrival and departure at Ball (starting around the 2:00 mark), the rest is sped-up fluff with Motley Crue and Metallica as added bonus.

Brilliant! As you know I'm a sucker for a good music video :D

14769354__346274c.jpg

... and that's nothing like a good music video ... ah ha ha ha (joke!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom