Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents :- BuggyBall 2 :- Jailbreak (Ao Kang 31st May -2nd June)

hmm.. ok sorry about the lack of images for the board. I cant work out how to point to the images on the BRC site.. too many letters and symbols and shhiite. theres been one more submission from Orange sheets..
fingers crossed my over the top angry rant will have got through to my website guys and they'll have sorted it by the morning.
EDIT:- Ok sorted... here's the board for the end of Day 1
BB2_LB01c.jpg

1 new submission in 2 classes for the end of Day 1 :- Orange Sheets finds top gear in his buggy 'Folsom Train' to take 3rd in Jailbreak and County line, edging out Alec T's 'practice' runs.
I fully expect alec to down a bottle of Castrol GTX and be back out there in the morning. only 2 days left.. Good luck to all.

Last edited:
fully expect alec to down a bottle of Castrol GTX and be back out there in the morning.

Done and done. One SRV down so a name change for today's submission which sees some slight improvements but alas still no Border Run time from me yet.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Well I got half way but I was down to 8% by then. Any tips anyone?

Go straight & don't hit stuff.

Last edited:
I decided to embrace the sensitivity and set it to maximum precision along with a mild dampening curve with TARGET which reduced the force required to reach maximum deflection. Just reaching for - not even pulling - the trigger is enough to register enough force to begin pitching, and relaxing my grip is counterintuitively a bad move because tensing it again in preparation to make an input is in itself enough to send the ship off course.

I gather the F-16, after which the force sensor system is modelled, has a special arm rest to allow the pilot to relax his grip on the stick when not manœuvring. That sounds like what I need next; planting my elbow on the desk to brace my arm was a big help.

After an hour or two of twitching and stuttering around like a grandfather parking a Ford Fiesta I got to the point where I could basically wrangle the ship under control. Straight and level flight isn't reliably attainable just yet though at least I can correct the twitchiness in short order.

The SRV itself is still hard work; too much pressure on the stick causes it to enter an uncorrectable death spiral and too little makes it too slow to react to bumps or pitching forward to gain speed. I made a brief Jailbreak class run this morning and the buggy was wobbling in the air and drifting off course before I could bring it under control. More practice needed.

Overall I suspect that this mod was not the best purchase for space games. I fired up X-Plane and it was great in its natural environment. Nonetheless I have now purchased it, and snipped wires in the original Warthog base's controller board to install it, so the practice I require will surely be forthcoming.

dUuqu22m.png

I should be able to shoot that rock. Why can't I shoot that rock!?

Morgan Freeman's character from "Wanted" would have something to say about that rock, but I can't repeat here.

Folsom Train #4 is taking the short track this evening, if collaboratos can keep the warden busy.

Been hyping myself up to break the five minute barrier by digging further back in my computer game playing history.

Thrust.gif

Last edited:
Intent to race. I've not got much better at SRV driving since last, but it's still fun.

Buggy name: Bandit-One

I'm currently docked at the Diamond Frogs CG station in a Type-9 so I'll have to switch to a hauler-taxi or something. Are SRV bays available at Zalyotin?
I probably need another hour at the CG to make sure I'm safely in the Top 10% until the end, so I'll hopefully have enough time to run tonight.

At any rate, I'm not nearly good enough as a SRV jockey to try an event like this, but I salute you brave souls who are!
I'd be impressed if you're worse at SRV driving than me. :)

Leaderboard update
BB2_LB02.jpg

Hold on to your helmets.. here comes Tannick Seldon with some blistering times in all 3 classes taking the 'Skipping Stone' to wells in an amazing time of 25 and a half minutes..
20 minutes ahead of 2nd place Aken in border run.. and first place in County line and jailbreak to boot. wow. Igor is impressed.
Furrycat wrangles the catmobile into 3rd place in the jailbreak class just getting under 5 minutes.
Seneh's 'Fifty eggs' precariously makes it to wells to take 3rd in the border run , 5th in county line and 7th in Jailbreak.
Alec T, drunk on castrol GTX and with a brand new buggy after biting off more than he could chomp with a rock... improves his times in jailbreak and County line.
the 'Ice breaker' Stern winters 'glass' buggy brings up the rear with some admirable times for all classes.
Theres been some murmurings that cheetah, raiko and drakhyr will make a run.. youve got igors hopes up now..
Well I think that update gives us all plenty to think about.. and the thinking is .. your going to slow ;)

Last edited:
Have a go Rankaze, the Jailbreak class takes less than 10 mins. and like every buckyball you can repeat it and improve your time. all you've really got to do is turn assist off and drive like the wind! or drive like you've got wind! eithers good on an airless planet!

When I say I'm not good enough at driving the SRV to try something like this, I really do mean it. I would be very unlikely to actually complete the course trying to go fast. I've spent only a couple of hours in the SRV since coming back and the first thing I discovered is that I've completely forgotten how to drive the thing.

When I say I'm not good enough at driving the SRV to try something like this, I really do mean it. I would be very unlikely to actually complete the course trying to go fast. I've spent only a couple of hours in the SRV since coming back and the first thing I discovered is that I've completely forgotten how to drive the thing.
np rankaze.. just looked like a good opportunity to get better.. which I think after that last update we are all feeling it. buckyballs make you a better pilot and buggyballs make you a better driver. that's kind of the point of buckyballs really.. just with an added competitive edge...but Igor understands.

Last edited:
np rankaze.. just looked like a good opportunity to get better.. which I think after that last update we are all feeling it. buckyballs make you a better pilot and buggyballs make you a better driver. that's kind of the point of buckyballs really.. just with an added competitive edge...but Igor understands.

Yeah, there's just a limit of how embarrassingly bad I'm willing to be :p

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
As much as I'm trying my hardest to fight my way through this permit locked area of space to get back tonight to stick in a run, I've just looked at the leaderboard...

Considering my time on Wasat was 24:45 and the Wasat course was only 50Km compared to the 90 here, I think I can safely say no chance!

As much as I'm trying my hardest to fight my way through this permit locked area of space to get back tonight to stick in a run, I've just looked at the leaderboard...

Considering my time on Wasat was 24:45 and the Wasat course was only 50Km compared to the 90 here, I think I can safely say no chance!

This course is actually a lot easier than Wasat, it's very flat with no big craters.

But that's not the point. If you get a chance, do it anyway, just for the thrill of flying across the surface in an SRV!

Last edited:
One thing is very clear from watching the faster SRV racers - it is impossible to drive an SRV that fast, you have to fly the SRV to go that fast.

By my reckoning, Tannik's time works out at an average speed of 58.8m/s, or roughly 210 km/h (130mph). In an all-terrain vehicle, across rough ground.

Last edited:
One thing is very clear from watching the faster SRV racers - it is impossible to drive an SRV that fast, you have to fly the SRV to go that fast.

By my reckoning, Tannik's time works out at an average speed of 58.8m/s, or roughly 210 km/h (130mph). In an all-terrain vehicle, across rough ground.

Yeah, I was just telling robin that we need to find some courses on heavier planets with more G. Now that we have the clock.

Leaderboard update

Tannick Seldon | Skipping Stone | 25:30
Tannick Seldon | Skipping Stone | 8:24
Tannick Seldon | Skipping Stone | 3:16
Game over man, GAME OVER! I'm off to do some ice mining. ;)

Seriously tho' ... holy crap! Those times are ... staggering. We are not worthy. :eek:
(but we'll keep on trying)

Edit: SushiCW - when the race is over I sincerely hope you'll grace us all with a video of those runs 'cos I for one really want to know how to do that.

Alec T, drunk on castrol GTX and with a brand new buggy after biting off more than he could chomp with a rock... improves his times in jailbreak and County line.
Should point out that the Impromptu Circle Pit was responsible for both my new County Line time AND my new Jailbreak time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom