Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents :- BuggyBall 2 :- Jailbreak (Ao Kang 31st May -2nd June)

It's been really fun and frustrating in equal measures this race, but would definitely do it again :D

It's been infuriating, but fun :)

Totally agree. I can see exactly what I need to do in my head, the "perfect" run is totally in there, I just struggle to actually make it happen.

Thanks for a terrific race robin and congratulations as ever to the winners.

after this, I really need to take a break from racing and start "playing"

God, tell me about it - I've got a TODO list a mile long now. I'm starting to wish this game had LESS content :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the race and grats to winners!

The racing was hellish, but it sure did teach me a thing or two. About buggies too.

(Don't ask, forgot.)

I could watch this all day, 'tis a thing of beauty. Congratulations! In my head this is EXACTLY how I drive and on rare occasions exactly how I do drive. I guess the "trick" is doing it consistently for 25 minutes. :D Some terrific recoveries in there from where you've ended up going backwards and I love the fact that you pass a couple of interesting POIs on the way.

Would you mind if I posted this video in the Buckyball Racing academy thread (if I can find it) as an exemplar of how to do buggy racing?

Yeah, I was just telling robin that we need to find some courses on heavier planets with more G. Now that we have the clock.
I just realized that my statement could be interpreted as negative towards SushiCW. That is *not* the case. You have excellent skills and they should be celebrated. :) I've no doubt that they'll transfer 100% to heavier Gs worlds with more complex environments.

So my take aways from this are:
a) I clearly need to remap my controls back to joystick;
b) I need to use something other than [SPACEBAR] for jump;
c) I need to practice more.
d) I still want to race ground vehicles in a way that has more to do with driving than flying. ;)

Question: are you an XBOX player?

Video of my Jailbreak run is up:
[video=youtube_share;Q1RjXUx9ka0]https://youtu.be/Q1RjXUx9ka0[/video]
A bit surprised but happy that it seems to have been enough for 3rd place. :D

If there was a race for post-race video posting too, I'd be a solid last place every time :eek:

Hold tight, videos incoming, steam engine pumping at full pressure!

Some great vids have been posted.. I haven't had anymore submissions.. <looks about sheepishly> so I'm tentatively declaring the race over...I guess RL prevented a few runs from a few guys..
SushiCw thanks for the vid upload.. check. Cookie vid check,. Aken and terrosidic. let me know when you've uploaded.
I will be emailing you or PMing you cookie for a beauty shot of your buggy to do the final leaderboard and race round up.

A bit surprised but happy that it seems to have been enough for 3rd place. :D

I was going to say that you're too modest but it does go a bit bluetits up towards the end there! :D Still, nicely recovered and as for that banked mid-air turn at the start, that was just beautiful man! Did anyone manage to do a start where they flew over the Keep Clear sign that I totally failed to clear in my video?

Last edited:
Would you mind if I posted this video in the Buckyball Racing academy thread (if I can find it) as an exemplar of how to do buggy racing?

Go right ahead! Feel free to check some of the other SRV racing vids on my channel too, they use the same techniques in more interesting terrain.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

So my take aways from this are:
a) I clearly need to remap my controls back to joystick;
b) I need to use something other than [SPACEBAR] for jump;
c) I need to practice more.
d) I still want to race ground vehicles in a way that has more to do with driving than flying. ;)

Question: are you an XBOX player?

Nope, PC player.

I normally fly with dual joysticks, but for SRV racing I tend to use the keyboard instead of my left stick (WASD for throttle/steering + space to jump). It's less exhausting and easier to keep the inputs I want than pushing the left stick all the way forward for 25 minutes. 2.1's increased steering sensitivity may have me revisit that.

Yay, by conicince it looks like all ship losses incurred during the race are going to be refunded!

Good news Commanders,

Due to the recent surge of unsanctioned and illegally modified weapons from the NPC AI over the recent days. The Pilots Federation have agreed to reimburse all insurance payouts made over that period (Between The Engineers (2.1) update and this mornings update).

The Pilots Federation would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your patience and continued support.

Fly safe.

(We'll let you know once this update has gone live)

Shame it wasn't something like the Bump'n'Grind, I lost a fortune on that one. No. Wait. That was my own race. Nope, nothing to see here. Certainly wouldn't have raced competitively in my own race, heaven forbid!

Thanks so much for organising this Robin, it was a great race and a huge congratulations to the top 3.
It was my pleasure as always. thank you guys for turning up and making a run.
final round up will come hopefully later tonight.. maybe even tomorrow as I wind up the formalities.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Yay, by conicince it looks like all ship losses incurred during the race are going to be refunded!
Good news Commanders,

Due to the recent surge of unsanctioned and illegally modified weapons from the NPC AI over the recent days. The Pilots Federation have agreed to reimburse all insurance payouts made over that period (Between The Engineers (2.1) update and this mornings update).

The Pilots Federation would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your patience and continued support.

Fly safe.

(We'll let you know once this update has gone live)

ignore this grumpy man

Last edited:
Some great vids have been posted.. I haven't had anymore submissions.. <looks about sheepishly> so I'm tentatively declaring the race over...I guess RL prevented a few runs from a few guys..
SushiCw thanks for the vid upload.. check. Cookie vid check,. Aken and terrosidic. let me know when you've uploaded.
I will be emailing you or PMing you cookie for a beauty shot of your buggy to do the final leaderboard and race round up.

Sorry I didn't manage to join in, MWM doesn't work out for me sometimes.

I wouldn't have been challenging for anything though anyway, unless there's a prize for most spectacular flaming cartwheel explosion!

I've enjoyed following the race though, congrats to the winners, I'm looking forward to watching the videos to see if they help me figure out how to drive fly these buggies. :D

Thanks for organising Robin, it was a nice little challenge, and I felt that having the three different distance classes at the points you did worked really well.

Next time we run a Buggyball event we possibly ought to do it for more than three days - I'd like to have the time to get more attempts in! I'm pleased to have managed to improve my times between attempts. I'm also pleased to report that my running on this course (2 x 90km border runs, 1 x 30km to the county line, plus a couple of false starts) has more than doubled my total SRV distance travelled :D

Top Bottom