Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Cinco Maxxxxxer Mixer!

Sacrificing some Old Smokey and Onionhead to the gods of Cupinook.

XAGMkh2.png

Run completed. I'll be submitting my evidence later.

Edit: much later, I've left the darned evidence files at home!

P.S. what actually happened re: the above screenshot is that on my second run I had an absolutely appalling SRV drive up to Gelfand Lab (basically all over the place, more donuts than Krispy Kreme, got stuck in the infrastructure and then couldn't find a garage). Decided to abort the run and was just about to head back when I noticed this really lovely crater on the sunny side of the Cupinook potato. Decided to repeat my 4001 Space Odyssey adventure, parked on the lip of the crater and then drove across to the peak of the crater nipple mound (at least, I believe that's the correct astronomical term). I am DEFINITELY going to stage a MWM event based on this idea 'cos it's brilliant fun (and very challenging).

Last edited:
You sure can!

Oh :(

I actually assumed you'd say no since that option (at least on the face of it) would seem to make all other routes competitively redundant.

Ah well. I DIDN'T do that.

Besides, I've heard that mixing Tanmark Tranquil Tea with Lucan Onionhead can cause hangovers so bad that sufferers rarely manage to get out of bed ever again, due to soul crushing waves of inescapable guilt and paranoia, and eventually die of starvation. But don't take my word for it. If people want to use this route then feel free. Just don't say I didn't warn you tho!

:cool:

Evidence now submitted.

That may well be my first and last run as I think I'm going to busy playing in VR for a while now and I strongly suspect that doing sommersaults in my SRV would just make me hurl.

I haven't done a run yet or come up with a final route so feel free to tweak the rules if you want ;)
Will do!

Oh :(

I actually assumed you'd say no since that option (at least on the face of it) would seem to make all other routes competitively redundant.

Ah well. I DIDN'T do that.

Besides, I've heard that mixing Tanmark Tranquil Tea with Lucan Onionhead can cause hangovers so bad that sufferers rarely manage to get out of bed ever again, due to soul crushing waves of inescapable guilt and paranoia, and eventually die of starvation. But don't take my word for it. If people want to use this route then feel free. Just don't say I didn't warn you tho!

:cool:
I would've happily said no for that exact reason, except I'd already received a race submission using that route, so it seems unfair to change it afterwards.

HOWEVER!

Marie "Curie" Rodrigues, Drinx Inx Chief Chemist, has informed me that all the test subjects from CMDR <- lightspeed ->'s concoction spent the entire day "feeling like a pig shat in their head."

A quote heard while passing her lab: "Who the hell put a SEDATIVE on the ingredients list?! Mayte, if this was your idea of a prank, you have some      coming your way! You wouldn't imagine the mess those subjects left behind. There's tea bags growing in here now! I think they've only slept and shat for 60 hours!"

She was unavailable for further comment.

Tanmark Tranquil Tea will only be accepted on "Big is Beautiful" runs from now on.

Evidence now submitted.

That may well be my first and last run as I think I'm going to busy playing in VR for a while now and I strongly suspect that doing sommersaults in my SRV would just make me hurl.

This flip challenge isn't mandatory. :p Congrats on the VR! :D

Tanmark Tranquil Tea will only be accepted on "Big is Beautiful" runs from now on.

Clever thinking. Been waiting for that excuse to purchase an Orca...

I have worked out how to work out a route lol so hopefully will get some runs in over the weekend :)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Evidence now submitted.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with VR.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with VR.

I've got the whole weekend blocked out on the home calendar as OCULUS. :D

Believe it or not, I haven't even plugged it in yet. Wanted to save the experienece for when I've got the time to savour it (Wednesday was Bake Off night, Thursday was reserved for watching the 2nd half of Wolf of Wall St and tonight it's curry, Mojito and Ex Machina night).

Expect a report in Monday.

And at the end of the first week of the race, we have our first scoreboard update!

Sadly, Drinx Inx. marketing division has been so busy working on luncah promotions that I've been left to work the scoreboard, and having only sub-par graphics skills, I'm still working out a few kinks.

In our first completed run we have CMDR <-Lightspeed -> finding the optimal route, which incorporated some underhanded exploitation from Mayte Rodrigues. Congrats on your handling of that big yellow Orca!

And in the first entry to "High as a Kite", CMDR Alec Turner managed to evade the coppers by fobbing htem off with a dose of unadulterated child's urine. Those feds are so easily bamboozled! Well done CMDR, keep them guessing.

WOjGL3B.png

Last edited:
Congrats on your handling of that big yellow Orca!

but not so much my SRV skillz! hence the very helpful video. Hoping to get another couple of runs in tonight as the missus is out. It should be better than my attempt to revisit the Spirograph Nebula last night where i found out the whole area is now 'Unknown Permit Required'. Ho hum, still on the list. #WinterIsComing

This race seems fr#####g fun. But sadly will not be able to run due to an unexpected assignment across the ocean. :(
Will fly with degraded controls next months (w/o HOTAS).

Last edited:
So all is not going to plan so far...

Run 1: Went to Azeban Orbital instead of Azeban City. Azeban Orbital is in an awesome low orbit though, there should be more stations like that.
Run 2: Bought tea instead of onion heat at start...
Run 3: Boosted into ground at Cupinook, cue insurance screen.

All good fun though. Run 4 will be attempted later and I'm sure will proceed without incident :)

Last edited:
Damn, out of rep. That's absolutely awesome lol.

Having an absolutely amazing time with the Oculus, it is a total game changer as people say. I do have some concerns about Buckyball Racing tho'

- motion sickness in SRV
- how to take evidential screenshots
- how to easily start ED in non-VR mode

Don't know if Oculus works the same, but I disconnect the Vive, and ED will start normally... if connected will start in VR.
I get sicked with SRV and when the landing pad rotates on launch. The rest of the time... you're really flying a real space ship.

Last edited:
Time submitted :) I did have an infinite hyperspace jump requiring me to kill the game and restart but apart from that all went ok.

I did wonder about eligibility as I noticed I didn't actually get my distance to the lab less than 100m, I just went straight to my docking bay. Let me know CMDR.

I'll be back for more anyway :)

So all is not going to plan so far...

Run 1: Went to Azeban Orbital instead of Azeban City. Azeban Orbital is in an awesome low orbit though, there should be more stations like that.
Run 2: Bought tea instead of onion heat at start...
Run 3: Boosted into ground at Cupinook, cue insurance screen.

All good fun though. Run 4 will be attempted later and I'm sure will proceed without incident :)

You have my sympathy. In my dry run (from which the video excerpt was taken) I managed to have to replot my course not once, but twice, since I tried stopping at Erlich Orbital for Void Extract Coffee, which is 773,777 ls away from the nearest nav point, and then Pinzon Dock for Motronoa Experience jelly, which is a whopping ONE POINT SEVEN MILLION lightseconds away from Dea Motrona.

I was deliberately trying to have a suboptimal course, but dang, those stations are ridiculous, I can't imagine they ever see much traffic.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Time submitted :) I did have an infinite hyperspace jump requiring me to kill the game and restart but apart from that all went ok.

I did wonder about eligibility as I noticed I didn't actually get my distance to the lab less than 100m, I just went straight to my docking bay. Let me know CMDR.

I'll be back for more anyway :)

That'll probably balance out, with a slight penalty for not following the rules exactly. ;) Glad you made it! :D

Top Bottom