Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents Close Encounters (16-24 June 3304)

closeencounters_banner.png

Starports can be found in a wide variety of locations, some of them close enough to their parent body that the supercruise approach becomes much more of an art than a science. Many will have heard of Robert Aitken Orbital in Firdaus, where the station famously skims remarkably close above the clouds of a gas giant. Not far away is Votatini, where last year Cmdr TheMadOll, with assistance from Cmdrs Rinzler Black, Frank and Edward Robinson, managed to pilot an SRV from King Terminal on the planet's surface all the way into the dock of the orbital starport Valigursky Orbital.

Close Encounters is a race around some of the area's lower orbits, including Firdaus and Votatini along with a starport orbiting inside the rings of an earthlike world, and an asteroid base within the rings of a gas giant.

The Course

Start and finish docked at Kuchner Vision in Kured
In between, call at the following stations:
  • Robert Aitken Orbital in Firdaus
  • Iben Hub in Iota Hydri
  • Big Pappa's Base in Andhrimi
  • Valigursky Orbital in Votatini *

Note: The recommended and expected route is to follow the order listed above, or the same in reverse. However, as the low orbits mean that this race has a much greater than normal chance of obscured jumps, I will accept entries calling at the waypoint stations in any order.

* Don't worry, I'm only asking you to dock your ship here, not your SRV!

Entry Classes

Entries will be accepted in two classes: Open Unlimited and Scout.

For Open Unlimited class, you may use any ship type, and engineer-modified modules are allowed (as are experimental / Guardian technologies).

For Scout class, Lakon Spaceways invites commanders to try out one of the least common amongst the current stable of ships, the Diamondback Scout (yes, that reads Scout, not Explorer). You may outfit your Diamondback Scout with any modules you like, within the following rules:
  • (Engineer-)modified modules are not allowed
  • Experimental technology (including Enhanced Performance Thrusters, Guardian modules and anything else only available via technology brokers) is not allowed
  • Your ship must have a shield generator fitted and active (too many images of heavily damaged or exploding ships wouldn't help Lakon's publicity aims!)

FSD injection is not allowed in either class.

How to Enter

Race entries must start any time after 00:00:00 GMT on Saturday 16th June, and finish any time before 23:59:59 GMT on Sunday 24th June.

Standard information on how to enter, including example screenshots, can be found on the Buckyball Racing Club website.

In addition to evidence from the start, finish and waypoints, entries in Scout class must provide evidence of outfitting; either screenshots from outfitting at a starport, or (preferred if video) a view of the modules list in the right-hand cockpit panel immediately before or after the race run. Entries in Open Unlimited are not required to provide any evidence of outfitting.

Entries should be submitted through the online entry form (click here).

Last edited:
Sadly (for you lot at least) I won't be able to make this race as I'm heading off on Saturday in a brand new class of ship on a expedition of atmospheric planetary discovery (I may even get out of my seat occasionally and go wondering around on foot, at least as far as the all-inclusive bar!).

1516981413.jpg
Have a good race everyone and perhaps I'll take an informal run at it myself when I get back!

Au revoir!

Sadly (for you lot at least) I won't be able to make this race as I'm heading off on Saturday in a brand new class of ship on a expedition of atmospheric planetary discovery (I may even get out of my seat occasionally and go wondering around on foot, at least as far as the all-inclusive bar!).

Have a good race everyone and perhaps I'll take an informal run at it myself when I get back!

Au revoir!

Happy to see that you managed a safe water landing in your Beluga. Enjoy the trip:cool:

For Scout class, Lakon Spaceways invites commanders to try out one of the least common amongst the current stable of ships, the Diamondback Scout (yes, that reads Scout, not Explorer).

Oooh nice that! I remember having once a racing DBS, sadly I had to leave it a few inches above a landing pad inside a Coriolis while deploying its landing gear, a couple years ago. I'm still in contact with the maintenance guys over there, they tugged the ship away from the pad and left it hovering in an unused hangar for the time being. They affectionately nickamed it "Mr. Slowpoke"...last I heard from them was about a month ago, they sent me an holo of the ship with the tagline "Landing gear almost fully out, could be any year now!". Funny guys.

Aside from that little peculiarity, the DBS could be a killer racing ship.

OMG! Sea-legs confirmed! :eek:

Last edited:
Did a quick recce (despite not being able to make the race) 'cos I wanted to see what these stations were like (I've been to Robert Aitken before but not the others).

LOL ... this race is gonna be very "interesting". I predict obscured jumps and exclusion zone crashes galore! Might do a timed practice run tomorrow.

9MCL9zU.png

And the Turner pace car time is in, look away now if you don't want to know the time to beat ...

23:47
Obviously this is completely unofficial but I couldn't resist taking a proper crack at it. That was in "Bananery Fandango" (my DBX). I have video so I might turn that into a little music vid later today.

This is a nice one folks ... have fun!

No time for a quick official run after midnight on Saturday?

Interesting - in theory yes, in practice I have an early flight on Saturday morning so I think it's best that I make a clean break with Elite: Dangerous until my return on the 27th June! :p

Interesting - in theory yes, in practice I have an early flight on Saturday morning so I think it's best that I make a clean break with Elite: Dangerous until my return on the 27th June! :p

That's probably very sensible. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Still if you can't sleep, or if anyone else fancies an impromptu live race, I'm hoping to be online for an early run myself.

This is a nice one folks ... have fun!

"Have fun!" - *proceeds to embark for a week of holiday on a cruise ship*

Are you kidding us? :D

Seriously though, relax and enjoy the trip!
(and whatever you do when you hop down for some exploration, DON'T dismiss the ship!)

Always hoped to have again a holiday on a cruise ship sooner or later, then life took a u-turn for the worst and, well...one day maybe :rolleyes:...

Top Bottom