Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Double Action Jackson (01.07.3303 - 09.07.3303)

a8S3v7g.png

SUBMIT ENTRY

Description
The Buckyball Racing Club, sponsored by MetaDrive Inc., presents an event to test the mettle of even the most reckless courageous racers! Seeking information on the effects and mechanics of Frame Shift Drive Supercharging, pilots are invited to swing around and through Jackson’s Lighthouse, the bubble’s only primary neutron star. This event also commemorates beloved science fiction hero Doctor Daniel Jackson’s original discovery of the first “Stargate,” by passing through stations Carter and O'Neill.

This race does not require Horizons content.
Estimated time to run is under 20 minutes.
Regulation hauler class is available for <200k, and perfect for new racers!

Objective
Dash in loops around Jackson's Lighthouse while straining and supercharging your Friendship Drive to the limit.
Embrace danger.
Ride the purple wave.
Submit FSD data to MetaDrive Inc. For Science!

Scoreboard
NXdKB6H.png

Staging Area - The Greasy Drive Bar
m0LIS3H.png

Classes and Courses

Open Unlimited

Any ship, any modules, any engineer upgrades.

No FSD injection. MetaDriva Inc. already has ample data on Jumponium FSD charging, and does not believe this is a fruitful area of research.

Route:
HIP 27980, Hammond Gateway (2763 ls, Orbis Starport)
--- 107.80 ly --- > Jackson’s Lighthouse
--- 193.35 ly --- > HIP 41817 (HIP 41817 B, 64ls, Neutron Star)
--- 193.35 ly --- > Jackson’s Lighthouse
--- 192.93 ly --- > O'Neill Settlement, Chacocha (34 ls, Ocellus Starport)
--- 192.93 ly --- > Jackson’s Lighthouse
--- 240.99 ly --- > Beta Sculptoris (Beta Sculptoris B, ~1300 ls, Neutron Star)
--- 240.99 ly --- > Jackson’s Lighthouse
--- 107.80 ly --- > HIP 27980, Hammond Gateway (2,763 ls, Orbis Starport)

Note: Travel to HIP 41817 B and Beta Sculptoris B is optional, you must visit those systems, but use of the secondary neutron star for boost is up to you!

Regulation Hauler

A basic exploration loadout for the Hauler. It’s pretty much a tin can with drives at this point. Excellent for experimentation.

Changes from default loadout:

• A-Rated FSD
  • All other modules D-rated
  • 3D Fuel scoop added
  • Cargo racks sold
  • Shield sold
  • Weapon sold
  • Fuel tank shrunk
  • Adv or Int Disco Scanners are fine
  • Cosmetic changes are encouraged

Route:
--- 133.99 ly --- > Ackwada, Carter Hangar (54 ls, Coriolis Starport)
--- 133.99 ly --- > Jackson’s Lighthouse

Tips and Tricks
New to racing? Please refer to the following instructional video, generously commissioned by Anthony and Enoch Lonnegan, produced by CMDR Furrycat:
[video=youtube;6Pk5rjMu11Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pk5rjMu11Q[/video]

Been awhile, looking for more advanced tips and tricks? Check out the recent video from Lavecon made by CMDR Alec Turner:
[video=youtube;6PLCYL4qCqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PLCYL4qCqU[/video]

Confused as to how FSD Supercharging works? Consult this handy graphic from CMDR MackTheHunter
gnYD0a0.jpg

Ready to push the limits of stress and sanity? Try double charging!
[video=youtube;apYNwGjwcB0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apYNwGjwcB0[/video]

How to Fly

1. Choose race class: Regulation Hauler or Open Unlimited
  2. Outfit your ship.
  3. Get yourself to Hammond Gateway, in HIP 27980, and take a screenshot on the pad.
  4. Fly to Jackson’s Lighthouse, take a screenshot, supercharge your FSD, and jump towards <Station2>.
  5. Land at Station2, take a screenshot, and take off heading back towards Jackson’s Lighthouse.
  6. Arrive at Jackson’s Lighthouse, take a screenshot, FSD charge, and boost to the finish line!
  7. Return to Hammond Gateway, and take a screenshot once docked.
  8. Submit your run using this form.

Proof and Submissions
It’s highly recommended that you use video capture to record your run, and obtain screenshots from the video capture later. Most video cards have software that will enable video capture without excessive performance impact, for example, Plays.tv for AMD, Shadowplay for Nvidia, and Game DVR for Xbox.

Screenshots are the fastest and lowest bandwidth way to submit your run, but if you wish to upload a full video and link to that instead, that would be great!
If you’re feeling kind, please provide timestamps for the start and end screenshot times.

For the Regulation Hauler, you'll need 6 screenshots.
1. In Hammond Gateway on landing pad with station clock showing
2. In Jackson’s Lighthouse with system name and Clock showing.
3. In Carter Hangar on landing pad with station clock showing
4. In Jackson’s Lighthouse with system name and Clock showing.
5. In Hammond Gateway on landing pad with Station clock showing.
6. After Race end, screenshot of module damage and loadout. (right panel, modules, single shot fine, no data link scanner required to be visible)

For Open Unlimited, 10 screenshots.

1. In Hammond Gateway on landing pad with station clock showing
2. In Jackson’s Lighthouse with system name and Clock showing.
3. In HIP 41817 with system name and Clock showing.
4. In Jackson’s Lighthouse with system name and Clock showing.
5. In O'Neill Settlement, Chacocha on landing pad with station clock showing
6. In Jackson’s Lighthouse with system name and Clock showing.
7. In Beta Sculptoris with system name and Clock showing.
8. In Jackson’s Lighthouse with system name and Clock showing.
9. In Hammond Gateway on landing pad with Station clock showing.
10. After Race end, screenshot of module damage and loadout. (right panel, modules, multiple shots might be necessary)

Note: Travel to HIP 41817 B and Beta Sculptoris B is optional, you must take screenshots in those systems, but not necessarily next to those bodies.

You will need to upload screenshots or a video somewhere safe and link it. I recommend imgur or youtube. Submit your run using this form.

Intent
Is it customary (but not required) for Buckyballers to declare their intent to race before doing so, in something like the following format.

Intent to Race
CMDR Name (forum alias)
Ship name (ship type)
Race Class

Example:
Intent to Moon the Lighthouse
CMDR Bruski
Sugar Glider (Asp X)
Open Unlimited

FAQ
Have any questions? Please post them in this thread and I'll answer as soon as possible!

Q: Is stacking double jumps acceptable if the arms line up?
A: Yes, the more dangerous option is always encouraged!

Q: Is mooning the Lighthouse advisable?
A: It's a lawless system, what can I say?

Q: Can I submit runs from multiple CMDRs?
A: If you have them, yes, feel free!

Q: Can I submit runs for multiple ship types in the Open Unlimited Class?
A: Yes, variety is encouraged! Only the fastest ship will count for placement, though honorable mention will be given to the fastest ship of each size category.

Q: Can I begin the race with a supercharged FSD? (from using the double charge technique above)
A: Yes! The name of the race is DOUBLE Action Jackson after all.

Last edited:
Tentative intent to race - my schedule is pretty messed up at the moment:

CMDR Stern Winter
AspX "Polar Express"
Open Unlimited

Looking forward to finally trying out the Neutron Star mechanic in anger :)

Are you sure that's a good idea?

Intent to race:
CMDR Polly
Ship and class TBD

Probably not, but since when do I only do things that are good ideas? :D

Is stacking double jumps acceptable if the arms line up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apYNwGjwcB0

Yes! I was hoping someone would bring this up. I'll add the video to tips and tricks. The course for Open Unlimited is designed to make this possible. However in my (limited) testing, it's going to be very tricky.

Last edited:
Intent to consume mass quantities of popcorn while following the action of double action Jackson.

I'm still on the Small World's Two expedition. The expedition ends on the eighth. I'll have to see if I can Buckyball it Back to the Bubble without bumbling and facing a rebuy.

*grumbles about having to work every weekend*

Open Unlimited

Any ship, any modules, any engineer upgrades.

No FSD injection. MetaDriva Inc. already has ample data on Jumponium FSD charging, and does not believe this is a fruitful area of research.

Route:
--- 193.35 ly --- > HIP 41817 (HIP 41817 B, 64ls, Neutron Star)
--- 193.35 ly --- > Jackson’s Lighthouse
--- 192.93 ly --- > O'Neill Settlement, Chacocha (34 ls, Ocellus Starport)
--- 192.93 ly --- > Jackson’s Lighthouse
--- 240.99 ly --- > Beta Sculptoris (Beta Sculptoris B, ~1300 ls, Neutron Star)
--- 240.99 ly --- > Jackson’s Lighthouse

Open Unlimited route finalized! It's a hot one, time to get out your good ol' copy of EDTS. Except, well, that doesn't actually help much with neutron stars. Maybe Spansh? Anyways, best of luck. :D

You know how to sell your stuff, don't you? :p

Intent to ride the purple wave like a wild unicorn tripping on acid!
Everything else TBD, as soon I make it back from the outer rim and drop the cartographic load.

Hah, thanks! I'm going to whip up a poster before this weekend if I have time, glad to know my advertising speak is appreciated. :D

Intent to consume mass quantities of popcorn while following the action of double action Jackson.

I'm still on the Small World's Two expedition. The expedition ends on the eighth. I'll have to see if I can Buckyball it Back to the Bubble without bumbling and facing a rebuy.

Oh noes! I know the feeling though, weekends are the worst time for racing for me. (spending time w/ family instead of spaaaceships)

Well, I'm going to miss this one most likely (a shame, it would be a good chance to try some of my experiments in figuring out why I find the visual effects of neutron star jumps so completely disorienting, and how to combat it), because I am going to be taking my Imperial Eagle to Sadge on Saturday and who knows when I will be back? I am considering dropping by Colonia while I am out there (though I may wait until I take my Fer-de-Lance for that, since I will be taking scanners on that run, and not on this one), as I have yet to see it.

At any rate, y'all have fun. I'm looking forward to someone posting a video in which they manage to survive getting dropped out of SC in one of the cones (because if anyone can do it, it's a Buckyballer... and if it would happen to anyone, it'd be a Buckyballer!). If I do get back before the end of the race, expect me to enter something ludicrous like, oh... my Imperial Eagle. :p

Which is the most manoeuvrable of the 'big three' in supercruise? I have an Anaconda and find it just a bit too slow to turn to be enjoyable for a long period (OK for going long distances quickly but for stopping to explore it is frustrating). This race would be a good way of putting a new ship through its paces, before I start spending hundreds of millions on outfitting. If the Anaconda is more manoeuvrable than the other two, though, then maybe I just need to practise more and learn to get the best out of it...

Spare CMDRs are only 10 quid at the moment. 23 if you want to use Engineers.

Come on, you know you want to do it.

Which is the most manoeuvrable of the 'big three' in supercruise? I have an Anaconda and find it just a bit too slow to turn to be enjoyable for a long period (OK for going long distances quickly but for stopping to explore it is frustrating). This race would be a good way of putting a new ship through its paces, before I start spending hundreds of millions on outfitting. If the Anaconda is more manoeuvrable than the other two, though, then maybe I just need to practise more and learn to get the best out of it...

Are you talking big three in size (Anaconda/Corvette/Cutter), or big three in Buckyball (Anaconda/Asp/DBX)? If it's the former, I have no idea. If the latter, definitely the DBX, though the Asp handles very well compared to an Anaconda in supercruise.

I suppose I could enter as CMDR Crystal Starblade, but that would mean entering an unengineered ship (Crystal's account has Horizons, but I have not unlocked any engineers for her).

Given that Crystal hisorically prefers to enter full-combat-rigged Eagles in Buckyball events...

Oh, what the hell, it should be funny if nothing else, and I just got through creating her holo-me last night.

Let's see... BBR5 was Thrillseeker Ii, BBR7 was III, Old World Hustle was IV, so...

Intent to race!
CMDR Crystal Starblade
BRC-00 Thrillseeker V
Eagle
Open Unlimited

I should ask, though... is there a minimum jump range requirement for this course?

Last edited:
Are you talking big three in size (Anaconda/Corvette/Cutter), or big three in Buckyball (Anaconda/Asp/DBX)? If it's the former, I have no idea. If the latter, definitely the DBX, though the Asp handles very well compared to an Anaconda in supercruise.
The former: I just got my promotion to Duke yesterday and have been mulling over some builds for long range exploration with a fighter on board. After the race in Okinura last weekend, I think I might like to have a Condor with me the next time I go out into the black for a couple of months. Otherwise, I'd just take my Asp or Python. I have found it difficult to get the FSD supercharge in the Anaconda and might bring that to the race anyway but I'm not sure how much time I'll get this week to run so I just want to focus on one ship for now rather than running several.

Oh my gosh, it's that cheap? I'm going to get one too. :D

Agreed, try out the DBX and/or AspX, both wonderful ships.

Would it be worth putting a link to this thread in the PS4 forum to welcome the new commanders there?

That would be great! The Regulation Hauler class is perfect for new commanders, I even downgraded the Fuel Scoop to class D for the least expenditure.

I don't know the PS4 community at all, so I'm wary to post there, but feel free to yourself!

In my opinion it's the corvette but I admit I've not been in it lately. I have all three though.

Top Bottom