Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Falling With Style : An SRV base-jumping festival (19-27 May 3304)

I've been doing finals for school for a solid three weeks and haven't touched elite once during that time. Now finals are over and as fate would have it a completely nutso srv race has been conceived! Count me in!

Yay! To quote Ed Lewis "All the best one's are here!" (except for the best one's who aren't here yet).

Damn, I forgot to do the "Magnificent Seven" thing, oh well, I think we're at least ...

vBlj2j0.png
(ish)

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
*pokes head in*

Oh, an SRV race hosted by Alec. Well it would be rude not to try and enter this and certainly lose a lot of SRVs in the process!

Ozric is out in the black at the moment, heading on a tribute pilgrimage, so I may have to see if I can entice Elastul to come racing. She's still fairly young and may not have much in the way of SRV repairs, but she's certainly feisty!

I should probably also mention that she is a techno mage, though I'm sure she'll promise to not use that to her advantage...

*comms static*

"Smith Base, do you read?"

"Loud and clear, CMDR. How can we help?"

"I'm on approach to Beta Sculptoris as we speak - how the situation on the ground? Landing pads? Hotel rooms? SRV maintenance?"

"Thank you for asking, we have everything prepared for the Buckyball Festival, discounted rooms for participants are available for card carrying members of the BRC."

DdREn7sX4AAu_IH.jpg

*GLIDE engaged*

"Smith base, is that the mountain?"

"Yes CMDR, that is the main attraction of the Buckyball Festival."

"Pretty steep, huh?"

"Indeed. It's gradient goes all the way to nearly vertical cliff faces, with Smith Base situated near the foot of the mountains."

DdRJknJW0AAf-Ht.jpg

*Landing pad secured*

"So, rooms for participants. How about SRV maintenance bays? I barely had time to load my ship, I will need to perform some checks before throwing myself off those cliffs."

"Do not worry CMDR, every room comes with an assigned garage and workshop for SRV maintenance."

"Err, yes. How about, more than one SRV?"

DdRJkp5XUAANubI.jpg

"I can see you are a sensible Buckyballer, a rare breed. We can easily accomodate two SRV per CMDR, so you can take out one to drive and have the other restored to pristine conditions at the same time."

"Hm. Hmmm. Uh. How about, more than two SRV?"

*whispered conversation over Comms*

"How many SRV are we talking about, exactly, CMDR?"

"Eleven."

"I... Ele... WHAT?"

DdRBXbgX4AULUo6.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post.

But on a more serious note...

- Check your headings when starting out. It's super easy to get thrown off course and end up 40 or 50km from Smith Base.
- Reserve at least 10km as braking zone...

My first trial run, totally inofficial, was slightly above 10 minutes - that is with 5km overshoot and not knowing where the bloody garages are! Oh, and 242m/s at 4.78km altitude. Just a first benchmark to throw about. I predict winning times of 6 to 7 minutes, judging from what would've been possibly without the overshoot.

DdRXsrdW4AAIusp.jpg

I got to the hill last night to get a bit of practice in for tonight's practice. It was night-time when I got there. I didn't think there was any point in leaping off into a dark abyss.

It might be a good idea to find out the moon's rotational cycle so the same thing doesnae happen to anyone else

WOW - don't know what you've done to the colours in those images @PrimeTimeCasual but I LOVE it!

So I completed my ascent of the mountain this morning and I can highly recommend it! It's a terrific climb which takes between 45mins and an hour (I recommend heading slightly left initially and then following the more gentle slope to the top). I was being fairly leisurely because the views were absolutely spectacular and I had to keep stopping!

hWmSs6y.png

wAxUey7.png

UqofVRO.png

I was joined (and guided) by Cmdr Tannik Seldon who was busy surveying the site. Unfortunately he had a run in with some bounty hunters which left him WANTED in system. Not only that but, because I was in a wing with him, they then decided to start firing on me as well which turned the climb into something of an adventure but left the bounty hunter with a WANTED status of their own which allowed Tannik to, ahem, "deal" with the problem. Thanks man, much appreciated!

Once at the top (yay!) the only sensible option was a tandem jump.

[video=youtube_share;4gDbuVMI95A]https://youtu.be/4gDbuVMI95A[/video]

n.b. I cut the video fairly short because the ever growing distance between Tannik and myself became too embarassing to allow it to continue! :p

P.S. He did overshoot tho ... massively! [haha] (still beat me by MILES).

IMPORTANT UPDATE TO RULES
Runs should be submitted within 48hrs of completion! In other words, if you complete a run at 22:00 on Monday 21st May then you should submit the entry for that run no later than 22:00 on Wednesday 23rd May. The reason for this is to prevent people from simply sitting on their best runs all week without engaging with the forum thread and the other participants. Part of the ethos of the Buckyball Racing Club is one of active involvement with the group and friendly sharing of times, tales and tips. It's fun for everyone to see the new times being submitted throughout the duration of the event and to see the best racers competing for those coveted top spots on the leaderboard. I do realise that the SRV HUD doesn't show the date. I could change the rules to say that you have to dock in the garage at the end and have the station clock visible in the screenshot but I don't really want to so take this as an informal request to play fair OK? If anyone who hasn't posted all week submits a winning run on Sunday night then chins will be stroked!

Last edited:
IMPORTANT UPDATE TO RULES
Runs should be submitted within 48hrs of completion! In other words, if you complete a run at 22:00 on Monday 21st May then you should submit the entry for that run no later than 22:00 on Wednesday 23rd May. The reason for this is to prevent people from simply sitting on their best runs all week without engaging with the forum thread and the other participants. Part of the ethos of the Buckyball Racing Club is one of active involvement with the group and friendly sharing of times, tales and tips. It's fun for everyone to see the new times being submitted throughout the duration of the event and to see the best racers competing for those coveted top spots on the leaderboard. I do realise that the SRV HUD doesn't show the date. I could change the rules to say that you have to dock in the garage at the end and have the station clock visible in the screenshot but I don't really want to so take this as an informal request to play fair OK? If anyone who hasn't posted all week submits a winning run on Sunday night then chins will be stroked!

Um, what does this mean if you had an early run that you'd sort of like to keep? :D

Um, what does this mean if you had an early run that you'd sort of like to keep? :D

It means a) somebody did a competitive run BEFORE the race had even started and now needs to go and stand in the corner for 5 minutes and b) that they'll need to do at least one more run AFTER the race has started (and BEFORE the race has finished) and submit that instead. :D

Top Bottom