Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Falling With Style : An SRV base-jumping festival (19-27 May 3304)

It's why this race is brilliant and also a nice change of pace. It's not just about going really fast and blazing across the finish, but quickly and safely coming to a stop.

The difficulty of this is wonderfully compounded by the literal mountain of momentum behind you.

A mountain of momentum behind you ah... Ok. I'll post today's run after I've uploaded it tomorrow. It will give you a good laugh at the very least... The last 15km was a cross country slog of gargantuan proportions because it's one of the worse planets I've had the misfortune to find myself trying to cross in an SRV. Skiddy doesn't do it justice!

I fished (it sure as hell wasn't in a straight line!) the course but was it a good time...? [haha]

The only upside was the 2+ km altitude I managed at one point. I'll find the actual figures from the video footage tomorrow.

PS... The fun part was speaking to my wife Zoe, (lesbian couple) on the phone just before I got to the base as I was supposed to go pick her up at 4.30 (you'll see the timings tomorrow, the UK is on summer time atm). I had the phone in one hand, the joystick in the other and the throttle but my elbow! It may have got a little erratic around that point...

PSS needless to say, I didn't explain that I was also trying to drive an SRV across an alien planet in order to get my SRV into the garage of a planetary base while saying I'd be right there... Darling! [redface]

Last edited:
Back on site this morning (I won't be competing in my own race but nevertheless can't seem to tear myself away from this place) and what a glorious morning it was! Bumped into Timmy Brabston enjoying the view ..

V4dL5BU.png

.. and started a run down with him but had a bump that left me on 50% and then, really bizarre, I just exploded in mid-air .. I mean I was several hundred meters off the ground and then BANG! Must have ruptured a fuel hose or something.

Oh, and we had a celebrity on the mountain today!

1U1IU0a.png

Never had Peter O'Toole down as an Anaconda kind guy!

I did a second run (which took a really long route but included some fairly epic freestyling so I'll make a video of that one I think) and then left the mountain with Mr Brabston tackling the SRV ascent.

Last edited:
A mountain of momentum behind you ah... Ok. I'll post today's run after I've uploaded it tomorrow. It will give you a good laugh at the very least... The last 15km was a cross country slog of gargantuan proportions because it's one of the worse planets I've had the misfortune to find myself trying to cross in an SRV. Skiddy doesn't do it justice!

I fished (it sure as hell wasn't in a straight line!) the course but was it a good time...? [haha]

The only upside was the 2+ km altitude I managed at one point. I'll find the actual figures from the video footage tomorrow.

PS... The fun part was speaking to my wife Zoe, (lesbian couple) on the phone just before I got to the base as I was supposed to go pick her up at 4.30 (you'll see the timings tomorrow, the UK is on summer time atm). I had the phone in one hand, the joystick in the other and the throttle but my elbow! It may have got a little erratic around that point...

PSS needless to say, I didn't explain that I was also trying to drive an SRV across an alien planet in order to get my SRV into the garage of a planetary base while saying I'd be right there... Darling! [redface]

EDITED:

Here is the video if yesterdays test run...

[video=youtube_share;EF9KhEzxq6E]https://youtu.be/EF9KhEzxq6E[/video]

My highest point was 2.88km, which wasn't too bad. Pity this is only a test run before the competition starts tomorrow - it was the only redeeming feature of this disastrous run!

Last edited:
I did a second run (which took a really long route but included some fairly epic freestyling so I'll make a video of that one I think) and then left the mountain with Mr Brabston tackling the SRV ascent.

Video is up - YEAHHH BOI!

[video=youtube_share;5Z2DAYAMFK4]https://youtu.be/5Z2DAYAMFK4[/video]

Added to the OP along with a message from our sponsors! :D

Last edited:
After another thoroughly frustrating run today of bouncing down the mountain - I quit!

Yeap, I quit even before the racing has started... Just too damned annoying for me!

Enjoy your race though! And Good Luck!

I usually enjoy base jumping - but not this one! Too annoying for words. [blah]

Last edited:
After another thoroughly frustrating run today of bouncing down the mountain - I quit!

Yeap, I quit even before the racing has started... Just too damned annoying for me!

Enjoy your race though! And Good Luck!

I usually enjoy base jumping - but not this one! Too annoying for words. [blah]

:(

Annoying how? I just watched your test run, looked OK to me. It was a bit dark but it's not like that all the time.

:(

Annoying how? I just watched your test run, looked OK to me. It was a bit dark but it's not like that all the time.

Too much bumping around on very uneven terrain making it hard to cover any distance. The couple of runs I have done have required 15km+ or so of ground treking because the base is some distance from the mountain. That makes it not fun for me.

Sorry Alec, this one just doesn't work for me. I know you have shown that its possible to 'fly' pretty much the entire distance to the base, but I haven't been able to even remotely reproduce that... and a long slog over uneven terrain to the base just isn't fun to me.

Too much bumping around on very uneven terrain making it hard to cover any distance. The couple of runs I have done have required 15km+ or so of ground treking because the base is some distance from the mountain. That makes it not fun for me.

Sorry Alec, this one just doesn't work for me. I know you have shown that its possible to 'fly' pretty much the entire distance to the base, but I haven't been able to even remotely reproduce that... and a long slog over uneven terrain to the base just isn't fun to me.

What if you allow yourself to go to the left of the base? Clear the mountain and then turn right towards the base?

That's my plan if the direct approach is too hard for me.

Not that I'm even there yet. :)

Sorry to hear that Susanna - but if it ain't fun it ain't fun, no sense torturing yourself (you're not the first person to get frustrated at a Buckyball Race). Maybe next time?

[heart]

(still secretly hoping you might change your mind next week and put a time on the scoreboard!)

.. and started a run down with him but had a bump that left me on 50% and then, really bizarre, I just exploded in mid-air .. I mean I was several hundred meters off the ground and then BANG! Must have ruptured a fuel hose or something.

I guess this means the weird collision bugs with multiple people in the instance are still a thing. :(

Couple of pics:

That first pic is fantastic.

Sorry to hear that Susanna - but if it ain't fun it ain't fun, no sense torturing yourself (you're not the first person to get frustrated at a Buckyball Race). Maybe next time?

[heart]

(still secretly hoping you might change your mind next week and put a time on the scoreboard!)

Cheers Alec :)

I may come back just to put a time on the scoreboard... We'll see :)

IThat first pic is fantastic.

Thanks Sushi :)

Well, this looks like a fun race. I bought a couple of alt accounts in the Christmas sale and have been developing those so it is a long time since I last competed in a bb race. I just finished the last task my main account was doing so I just have to head back home to pick up a suitable srv carrier and join in the falling.

My fliving skills haven't got any better so it will be an achievement if I make a complete run :D

[video=youtube_share;okBUdadP34I]https://youtu.be/okBUdadP34I[/video]

Massive thanks to everyone at Sagittarius Eye for being awesome!

Last edited:
What if you allow yourself to go to the left of the base? Clear the mountain and then turn right towards the base?

That's my plan if the direct approach is too hard for me.

Not that I'm even there yet. :)

The direct route would be on top of a very rough ridge line. I'd suggest going to the far right, heading 70 degrees and turn left near the bottom. Seems easier than recovering from a "too left" approach.

But yeah, Susanna, absolutely have at least ONE go. Try an dismissive start and go for an early speed or altitude lead.

Top Bottom