Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Falling With Style : An SRV base-jumping festival (19-27 May 3304)

And so we come to the end of what I think we can all agree has been an extremely successful first Buckyball base-jumping festival.

The final scores are as follows:

P6VN1Bv.png

One last time working up from the bottom then ...

First we have our final brand new entry of the race as Cmdr Phelbore hesitantly submits a closing day time of 28 minutes exactly which puts the "Crash and Burn" into 22nd place. No shame whatsoever there sir! I think most people would agree that this has been a pretty tough course so bravo for finishing and welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club!

Next we have an improved time for jumpingclear in the Bling Bang Boom who finishes just 3 seconds ahead of Niuulh Wyrm in 14th place with a time of 14m 8s. Nice going!

In the top half of the scoreboard Cmdr Bruski submitted two more runs, finally breaking through the 7 minute barrier in his new SRV "The Self Smashination Society" and completing the course in 6m 56s to take 9th place.

That would have left Bruski finishing ahead of fellow long-time Buckyballer Aken B. except that Aken also submitted a final improvement on his time with a superb 6m 19s run which left him just ahead of PrimeTimeCasual in 7th place.

And then we come to the top 3. We had a superlative final run from Cmdr Timmy Brabston which, with a 5-barrier breaking time of 4m 56s puts him exactly level in 3rd place with Cmdr Tannik Seldon - and what a fantastic pair of competitors they've been too so I'm really delighted they both get to stay on the podium. Timmy also takes 4th place in the "Falling Fast" challenge with a maximum speed of 412 m/s.

No more improvements for Cmdr Nookie Mr.Smith but, with a blinding last minute entry from the other lead Candy Crew SRV driver (who's main problem was getting to the garages), the "Falling With Style" gold medal goes to Cmdr Darth Raijiin with an incredible final time of 4 minutes and 45 seconds!

So, the medals go to:

Falling with Style (main challenge)
Gold: Cmdr Raijiin
Silver: Cmdr Nookie Mr.Smith
Bronze: Cmdr Tannik Seldon & Cmdr Brabston, Timmy

Falling Fast (speed challenge)
Gold: Cmdr Bruski (478m/s or 1,720 km/h)
Silver: Cmdr Stern Winter (419 m/s or 1,508 km/h)
Bronze: Cmdr Cookiehole (418 m/s or 1,504 km/h)

Falling Upwards (height challenge)
Gold: Tannik Seldon (39.7km)
Silver: Bruski (18.5km)
Bronze: Brabston, Timmy (6.79km)

Congratulations to the winners for once again pushing the boundaries of what we thought was possible in the SRV, welcome to all the newcomers (hope you'll come along to future Buckyball Races - keep an eye on http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk/ for details) and massive thanks to EVERYONE for making this race an absolute damn privilege and pleasure to organise.

5gSOVC8.png

P.S. if you enjoyed the experience of hurling your SRV off the top of a mountain and are looking for other places to go and try out your new found skills then I'm compiling a list over here which you might find useful: A-guide-to-good-base-jumping-locations

See you on the way down commanders!

e2ec509589d64dd0fe8dbc873b2eef75--base-jumping-bungee-jumping.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! 4:45. Amazing well-deserved win Raijiin.

Congratulations to you, to the other 3 podium winners, to Alec for organising this wonderful event, and to everyone who took part.

o7

This has been an excellent event Alec! And it's awesome to see so many really great times on the board. Falling down this mountain is no easy feat and it's amazing that people were able to continue to improve times throughout the week. Great racing everybody and seeya at the next one! I'm gonna be off somewhere furiously boosting toward the horizon trying to reach the SRV orbital leisure cruise threshold achieved by Sushi.

Thanks to Alec for hosting a truly fun and exciting event. The live cheese run was great. I feel I've learned a lot about making the SRV fly more and bounce less.

Congratulations to the winners. Well deserved indeed.

Even though I was lucky enough to end up right at Smith Base in around 5 minutes a couple of times, I was never able to stop there. Give enough tries, I would eventually have been able to replace blind luck with a modicum of skill, but the weekend was reserved for RL stuff.

Fly fast, CMDRs. 07

My closing congratulations to the winners (the usual suspects high up there) and really everyone who made the board, me included (congrats Aken, you're the cat's pajamas, best thing since sliced bread!). :D

Some special mentions to all the new participants for their first time in a Buckyball event, and one of the wackiest nontheless. Fellow Planetary Circumnavigation Club members, Speedbowl crazies :p, a slow-paced but relentless Capitan AceRimmer :p and all the new faces altoghether. Speaking of which, Cmdr Toberious: you managed to arrive 9 seconds shy of Cookiehole at your first Buckyball foray. Trust me, it's quite something.

Alec, your SRV races are top-notch as usual, can't wait for next one! (no actually not, I can wait, need some time to restock on iron and nickel first)

Given I had some pretty bad days the last weeks I wasn't sure I could have been able to take part in this, I'm very glad I could in the end even if with very limited time (and even tumbling down the mountain chasing for cheese, whoo-hoo!).

Until next time. o7

A final request.

If you've enjoyed this event and fancy hosting a Buckyball Race of your own then please post your ideas and/or willingness to do so in our general forum thread over here.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/193467-Buckyball-Racing-Club

If you've taken part in this race then you're now a member of the Buckyball Racing Club and are definitely entitled to do so!

We have races lined up for both June and July (see http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk/) but are always on the lookout for more race ideas and/or hosts for the future.

These don't have to be SRV races (in fact in general we'd prefer that most aren't since, although brilliant fun, these exclude non-Horizons players and are slightly outside of the original remit of the BRC) and they don't have to be complicated or long (in fact, personally, I prefer simple).

You can get a pretty good idea of the sort of things we've done in the past from some of the race descriptions I've written over here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/291110-Alec-s-Buckyball-discography

Basically you need a concept, a bit of background text for the race (not essential but always fun to set the scene), some kind of race banner (we can help with that if necessary) and the ability and willingness to check people's submissions and record scores on a semi-daily basis during the race (not as onerous as it sounds unless you come up with an incredibly complex race which requires dozens of screenshots or hours of video as evidence).

00122e59eb74fe0acab5f6838951c280.jpg

Excellent race Alec. Although busy stuff in real-life has kept me out of the game for most of the event, I did make it to 'Mount Smith' late on the final evening. I gave it a couple of goes - the first attempt was very quickly aborted as I slipped to the left almost immediately and couldn't recover, the second was a much better attempt until an ill-judged 'bounce' about 10km from Smith Base took my SRV from 65% to fireball in an instant. :eek:

The seconds were ticking away then and I didn't have enough time for any more official attempts, but I made one more attempt at an unofficial run for myself, unfortunately gravity took a hold again and I veered off to the left of Smith Base - still over 60km away when I got to the bottom of the mountain.

So no times either official or unofficial from me on this one, but great fun anyway and something that I've never tried before, despite following Alec's base-jumping threads forever.

Congratulations to the usual suspects with their awesome sub-5-minute times, and also especially congratulations to those who weren't awesome SRV-flyvers before this, but still made it to the end - you were better than me. o7

I'll hopefully see you all at the next race. Some of my busy real-life stuff should be less-busy by then, as my eldest daughter finally heads off on her Camp-America trip, so I should get a bit more time to concentrate on the next couple of races. :)

Thank you to Alec for organising the race. It has been a while since I have done a bb race owing to limited time and when I did look in the races were too complex for me to understand. This was a nice simple and fun event.

I am rubbish at fliving but I did find this base jumping style less frustrating than the flat races. I started off not really expecting to make a complete run so I am quite happy with my final result. It put me in my usual just below mid table position which was higher than I expected at the beginning.

Thank you to Alec for organising the race. It has been a while since I have done a bb race owing to limited time and when I did look in the races were too complex for me to understand. This was a nice simple and fun event.

I am rubbish at fliving but I did find this base jumping style less frustrating than the flat races. I started off not really expecting to make a complete run so I am quite happy with my final result. It put me in my usual just below mid table position which was higher than I expected at the beginning.

Glad you enjoyed it! For someone who's allegedly "rubbish at fliving" 14 minutes is a pretty decent time ... well done! [up]

Top Bottom