Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Fat Tony's Festival of Racing (30 September - 15 October 3303)

Buckyball Racing Club presents: Fat Tony's Festival of Racing (30 September - 15 October 3303)

grrgPf0.png

> > > SUBMIT SINGLE RUN HERE < < <

> > > PRE-REGISTER IRONBUCKY START TIME HERE < < <

> > > SUBMIT IRONBUCKY RUN HERE < < <

IT'S ALL OVER FOLKS

Fat Tony's Festival of Racing is over now, the full final standings for all events are given below.

Check inside the spoiler tag for full details of the events, rules, etc.

The Lonnegan Brothers will be back at Weyl Gateway in the Alacarakmo system very soon hosting The Bootlegger Challenge Rebootlegged, which incorporates an updated version of the Black Riband.

In the meantime CMDR Polly is hosting a Norse themed BRC race YGGDRASIL from 21-29 October 3303, and CMDR Jak is running the BRC Road Rally Racing, season 1 until the end of December.

For details of all scheduled BRC events and a history of all past events please take a look at the www.buckyballracing.org.uk website.

Fly fast CMDRs! o7

Long time Buckyball Racing fans Anthony "Fat Tony" Lonnigan and Enoch "Little Nuk" Lonnigan - AKA the Lonnigan Brothers - have just finished their time in Hughes Enterprise Jail [Kunti] for a minor misunderstanding about 200 tons of Tarach Spice found in their warehouse after the 3301 Bootlegger Challenge. Warden Kitty Bomb of the EDA Kunti League runs the best prison that the Lonnigan Bros ever spent time in, but after nearly two years behind bars they need to relax and have a bit of a party before they get down to the serious business of getting their criminal empire back on track and revamping the Bootlegger Challenge and Black Riband.

Coincidentally they heard that the Buckyball Racing Club had recently completed fifty successful racing events (as best as any of those maniacs can count anyway), so what better way to celebrate their freedom than a Festival of Racing? Preferably a racing festival with a few crazy rule tweaks so that Nuk can see a few racers go boom (or maybe just have their ships melt around them while dancing to heavy rock music).

Their normal haunt of Weyl Gateway in the Alacarakmo system is right out at the edge of the bubble, so for this event the Lonnegan Brothers took a rare trip closer to the middle of the bubble, picking Brash Dock in the Siren system because every Buckyball Racer loves gravity braking past a twin Earthlike. Don't worry Tony and Nuk will be back at Weyl Gateway for the revamped Bootlegger Challenge right after the festival finishes.

03Kiwi3.jpg

Fat Tony and Little Nuk - The Lonnegan Brothers

THE FESTIVAL

The festival includes three separate races, each requiring roughly 20-30 minutes in an optimal and engineered ship - The Station Scramble, The Bubble Tour and The Wasat Rally. Each of these races begins and ends at Brash Dock in the Siren System. A different ship can be used for each race, with an SRV hangar plus Scarab SRV required for the Wasat Rally. An overall leaderboard will give a combined time, using each commander's best time for each of the three races.

Additionally racers may enter the Ironbucky Trophy a limited number of times during the festival. Ironbucky Trophy runs require the commander to attempt to complete The Station Scramble, The Bubble Tour and The Wasat Rally in a single session without making repairs or using synthesis. A single ship swap can be made during the run while docked at Brash Dock, but no outfitting changes, so one ship must be fitted with an SRV hangar. Ironbucky runs require pre-registration of an approximate starting time, and the run must begin no more than 15 minutes after this time. A maximum of five attempts per commander can be made in the Ironbucky Trophy - one during the opening weekend, two during the final weekend and one additional run taken at any time during each half of the festival (one in the first half, one in the second half). The 15 minute starting window gives a limited opportunity to restart after an early mistake.

SUMMARY:

Over the course of the Festival racers have the opportunity to win the following categories:

• The Ironbucky Trophy:
    • Open Unlimited Class
    • Cobra Classic Class
  • Festival of Racing:
    • Open Unlimited Class - Fastest Overall Time
    • Open Unlimited Class - The Station Scramble
    • Open Unlimited Class - The Bubble Tour
    • Open Unlimited Class - The Wasat Rally
    • Cobra Classic Class - Fastest Overall Time
    • Cobra Classic Class - The Station Scramble
    • Cobra Classic Class - The Bubble Tour
    • Cobra Classic Class - The Wasat Rally
  • Additional Events:
    • Wasat Cup SRV Section - Fastest Time (from all modes / events)
    • Open Unlimited Class - Fat Tony's Barbeque Challenge
    • Open Unlimited Class - Little Nuk's Dangerous Landings Challenge
    • Cobra Classic Class - Fat Tony's Barbeque Challenge
    • Cobra Classic Class - Little Nuk's Dangerous Landings Challenge

With the exception of the five "additional event" categories, each category could be entered individually. So you could turn up with a viper or eagle and just enter the open-unlimited station scramble, or you could make that run as a part of the combined three-event festival of racing.

You can run each individual festival of racing event as many times as you like, with your position on the overall leaderboard always using your best times from each individual event.

The Ironbucky however can only be entered a limited number of times, within five predefined slots that between them cover the entire festival, with most slots concentrated on the opening and closing weekends. See below for more detailed instructions.

ENTRY CLASSES

Race classes are Open-unlimited and Cobra Classic.

Entries in Open Unlimited class may be in any type of ship, and may be engineer-modified.

Entries in Cobra Classic class may be either Cobra Mk IIIs or Cobra Mk IVs, no engineer-modifications are permitted.

Rather than the traditional regulation class the Lonnegan brothers prefer to allow you to outfit as you wish, within the limitations of the Cobra design. However for those who prefer to stick with an regulation build, Fat Tony has reluctantly released the latest specifications of his personal Cobra Mk III The Hotrod, available for less than 2 million with the Li Yong-Rui discount.

Cobras and a full range of modules for them, including everything required to copy The Hotrod are available from these local stations:
Branglal / Skripochka Gateway (full price) 12.32LY
Tao Ti / So-yeon Port (Li Yong-Rui discount) 37.36LY

Open Unlimited Class Rules
You may enter any ship class. If entering the Ironbucky Trophy, you have the option to enter two ships.
Engineer mods are permitted.
The use of jumponium synthesis is not allowed.
The use of neutron star or white dwarf FSD boosting is allowed, but you may not begin a run with your FSD pre-charged from a double-charge.
Despite the name, you may compete in open-unlimited class in any game mode (open / PG / solo). Most of the BRC race in open mode though, so playing in open gives you the best chance to bump into other racers on the course. :)

Cobra Classic Class Rules
You may enter in either a Cobra Mk III or a Cobra Mk IV
Engineer mods, jumponium synthesis and NS / WD FSD boosting are not allowed.
Note: For those without access to the Mk IV, it is a bigger, heavier version of the Mk III, with more internal slots and hardpoint, but the same drives. So it's inferior to the Mk III for most Buckyball activities.

THE EVENTS

The Station Scramble
  • Start docked at Brash Dock in the Siren System
  • Dock at each the following five stations in any order:
    • Gauss Terminal [OU Geminorum]
    • Harrison Terminal [LP 254-26]
    • Ehrlich Terminal [Pepper]
    • Vittori Terminal [LHS 1914]
    • Lucid Port [HIP 28774]
  • Return to dock at Brash Dock.

byuCaMB.png

The Bubble Tour
  • Dock at each the following five stations in any order:
    • Winne Gateway [80 e Piscium]
    • Greg's Legacy [LTT 4961] *Asteroid Base*
    • Cheranovsky City [Ngurii]
    • Smeaton Port [Njikan]
    • Mitzi's Den [Runo] *Asteroid Base*

hspTFE5.png

The Wasat Rally
  • Travel 22.32ly to the Wasat System.
  • Land at either Elwood Camp or Ferguson Prospect on Wasat A 2E
  • Deploy your SRV
  • Drive approx 50km to the other starport.
  • Request docking permission when 5-7km from your destination and drive into the hangar that your ship lands at.
  • Take off
  • Take a look at robinjb's Original Wasat Cup Race Thread for more details of the route once you're down on the ground.

The entry forms allow you to submit start and finish times for your SRV section, this will use the landing screenshot at the first surface base and the screenshot when you arrive back in your ship at the second base. The original Wasat Cup Buggyball used runs from Elwood Camp to Ferguson Prospect only and AkenB's winning time was 24m30s. Since then the Elite Racers have held an event using the same Elwood to Ferguson route and Nookie Mr Smith set a course record time of 10m34s. For this event you can run the course in either direction, although Elwood Camp to Ferguson Prospect is expected to be the quicker direction anyway.

SRV section times will be tracked on their own leaderboard, as there's no advantage / disadvantage to open-unlimited vs cobra classic other than possibly hangar location. During the original Wasat cup there was a bug that meant that when your SRV docked at the second base you were instantly teleported back to the first base, if this still happens don't worry about it just grab a screenshot and get flying back to Siren.

THE IRONBUCKY TROPHY

• Preregister your start time!!
  • Your starting screenshot time must be this time or later, and must be within 15 minutes of this time.
  • Complete the Station Scramble, Bubble Tour and Wasat Rally in any order, returning to dock at Brash Dock after each event.
  • The clock keeps running from your starting screenshot until you dock back at Brash Dock for the third time after completing all three events.
  • No repairs are permitted to either your ships or your SRV during the Ironbucky.
  • You have the option to swap ships once during the Ironbucky while docked at Brash Dock, the clock continues to run while you swap ships.
  • You may not make outfitting changes during the Ironbucky, so one of your ships must carry an SRV hangar.
  • You may make a maximum of FIVE attempts at the Ironbucky:
    • ONE during the opening 48 hours of the Festival.
    • ONE PER DAY during the final 48 hours of the Festival.
    • ONE additional run made at any time during the first half of the festival (30 September - 07 October)
    • ONE additional run made at any time during the last half of the festival (08 - 15 October)
  • You may enter the Ironbucky in both open-unlimited and Cobra Classic classes if you wish, giving a maximum of 10 attempts.

HOW TO ENTER

Please let us know if you intend to take part, by posting an intent to race in this thread with the following:
  • Commander name
  • Ship name(s)
  • Ship type(s)
  • Event(s) (Ironbucky, Station Scramble, Bubble Tour, Wasat Rally)
  • Class (Cobra Classic or Open-Unlimited)

Standard information on how to enter, including example screenshots, can be found on the Buckyball Racing Club website.

Please take particular note of the information above on the special requirements for Ironbucky Trophy runs.

In addition to evidence from the start, finish and waypoints, entries in Cobra Classic class must provide evidence of outfitting; either screenshots from outfitting at a starport, or (preferred if video) a view of the modules list in the right-hand cockpit panel immediately before or after the race run. Entries in Open Unlimited are not required to provide any evidence of outfitting.

Optionally you may also provide the following evidence as entries in the Lonnegan Brothers' daring challenges (see below):
  • A screenshot showing hull temperature and a visible hyperspace countdown timer, for entry into Fat Tony's Barbeque Challenge. The cockpit clock must also be visible, and the displayed time must be within a submitted complete run.
  • A screenshot showing ship speed during docking, for entry into Little Nuk's Dangerous Landings Challenge. The cockpit clock must also be visible, the displayed time must be within a submitted complete run and must be no more than 30 seconds prior to a successful docking screenshot. The station interior must be visible. The station exterior must not be visible.
  • If submitting video evidence for these challenges, please include an approximate time for your best speed / temperature in the notable / funny happenings section of the online entry form - or in the notes of your YouTube upload.

The race runs from 30th September to 15th October, so runs will be accepted with start times between 00:00:00 GMT on Saturday 30th September and 23:59:59 GMT on Sunday 15th October.

Please submit entries through the online entry forms (see above).

ADDITIONAL CHALLENGES

Not fun enough already? Okay the Lonnegan brothers are fetching back their favourite pair of challenges after their success in Glorious BAST-erds. The Lonnegan Scale of Hotness needed recalibrating after events in more recent races.

Fat Tony's Barbeque Challenge:
Fat Tony loves the smell of burning meat, so he's bringing the experience to your own cockpit with his Barbeque Challenge. The winner(s) of Fat Tony's Barbeque Challenge will be the CMDRs who attain the highest hull temperature during a hyperspace countdown during a completed run. See the "How to Enter" section above. This temperature should not result in ship destruction, but Fat Tony can't really verify that unless you upload a video of the full run, so he'll take your word for it. There will be a separate challenge winner for both open-unlimited and cobra classic.

Little Nuk's Dangerous Landings Challenge
Little Nuk on the other hand loves to see things go boom. So he's devised a cunning little challenge to encourage the occasional explosion. The Little Nuk's Dangerous Landings Challenge winner(s) will be the CMDRs who post the highest speeds inside the slot/docking bay prior to a successful landing. See the "How to Enter" section above. Again there will be a separate challenge winner for both open-unlimited and cobra classic.

2012FrH.png

Fat Tony's Festival of Racing - Final Standings

THE IRONBUCKY TROPHY

iDqH7Xa.png

d3Tipf7.png

OPEN UNLIMITED CLASS

SpyUwh6.png

PUR27Xg.png

atL7brw.png

qVZkJYE.png

KdP2bVR.png
zBSFHWZ.png

COBRA CLASSIC CLASS

RjY8UUA.png

odusRT4.png

bdDqpvM.png

xQZKgzp.png

aUV8Cby.png
fSqovNX.png

WASAT CUP COURSE - SRV TIMES

wpPL4cO.png

Last edited:
Looks awesome (and really glad to hear you're feeling better). I'm definitely on for an Iron Bucky run.

One request tho ... is there any chance we could extend this by a week. The problem is that the following weekend is the Expo and I'm going to be involved as a Frontier ambassador from the Friday right through until the Sunday.

One request tho ... is there any chance we could extend this by a week. The problem is that the following weekend is the Expo and I'm going to be involved as a Frontier ambassador from the Friday right through until the Sunday.

That's fine by me. Drakhyr?

As the race is already delayed, it would mean that it overlaps with the dates of Polly's Yggdrasil race though.

On the other hand it would allow one or two extra attempts per commander at the Ironbucky as well. :)

That's fine by me. Drakhyr?

As the race is already delayed, it would mean that it overlaps with the dates of Polly's Yggdrasil race though.

On the other hand it would allow one or two extra attempts per commander at the Ironbucky as well. :)

I gladly postpone Yggdrasil for a week.

P.S. If it were just me I wouldn't have mentioned it (well, I might) but I imagine quite a few people will be at the Expo all day Saturday (and feeling a bit sore headed on Sunday).

P.S. If it were just me I wouldn't have mentioned it (well, I might) but I imagine quite a few people will be at the Expo all day Saturday (and feeling a bit sore headed on Sunday).
That's a very good point, I hadn't thought about FX. Okay then, as long as Drakhyr doesn't mind I'll extend the race to 15th October. The Ironbucky will be changed to allow a single run on the middle weekend and possibly a second "anytime" run - although a maximum of five total runs sounds more 'right'.

Having spent about 5hrs dabbling with the new 2.4 Thargoid content I've come to a shocking realisation (shocking because I'm a massive fan of Frontier and have true faith that they're trying their best to do the right thing with the updates) ... Buckyball racing provides far more truly engaging content. The post from a lone OP and what I know that will mean for my coming week vs. months of effort from a team of full-time developers ... well ... one will totally engross me, the other ... err, not so much.

That's quite shocking.

Sorry, I'm in a pub and had to just share that with someone.

Carry on.

o7

Having spent about 5hrs dabbling with the new 2.4 Thargoid content I've come to a shocking realisation (shocking because I'm a massive fan of Frontier and have true faith that they're trying their best to do the right thing with the updates) ... Buckyball racing provides far more truly engaging content. The post from a lone OP and what I know that will mean for my coming week vs. months of effort from a team of full-time developers ... well ... one will totally engross me, the other ... err, not so much.

That's quite shocking.

Carry on.

o7

Funnily enough, I came to roughly the same realization this morning, with the launch of the Thargoid content (which I've mostly been watching from youtube, since I'm lazy and time-constricted). From what I hear, some MMOs/games might have been able to overcome this mismatch with with custom user-generated content (City of Heroes? Skyrim and Fallout certainly.), but it's very difficult for the developer to ever produce enough, even massive studies like Blizzard face accusations of "there's nothing to doooooo!" (Source: played WoW for 6 years.)

One of the things I love best about Elite is that I get awesome content from play groups, whether it's Buckyballing, Iridium Wing, or the Fuel Rats, it's new and fresh stuff. Buckyballing most of all, the other two are repetitive, but with more human interaction.

Also questions for Raiko:

For Wasat, there's only one leaderboard, right, no Open/Cobra split?

Does the Iron Buckyball Trophy have a Cobra version, or Open Only?

That's quite shocking.

Carry on.

o7
In the industry there's a saying that goes, "Content is King." There's another that goes, "Content is Killer."
Nothing sells a game like the polish that goes into making it look and sound right, but nothing slows a game's development more than making it look and sound right.

For Wasat, there's only one leaderboard, right, no Open/Cobra split?
There is a Cobra/Open split, as you still need to fly from Siren to Wasat and back as part of the Wasat Rally - and your best Wasat Rally time together with your best Scramble and best Tour times give you your position on the overall leaderboard. I'll be breaking out the actual SRV section times though, using the same start / finish rules as robinjb's original Wasat Cup Buggyball and all SRV section times will be put into a single SRV leaderboard.

There's nothing stopping you from entering an unengineered Cobra into the Wasat Rally part of the open-unlimited event - you could even enter the same run into open-unlimited and cobra-classic so long as your ship is an unengineered cobra.

Does the Iron Buckyball Trophy have a Cobra version, or Open Only?
Both, and if you wish you may make a full set of runs in both versions of the Ironbucky, so up to 10 attempts in total now the race is extended to two weeks.

The latest tweaks to the OP clarify both these questions hopefully.

Last edited:
Looks awesome (and really glad to hear you're feeling better). I'm definitely on for an Iron Bucky run.

With the extension to two weeks, I've adjusted the Ironbucky Trophy slots so that nobody will be disadvantaged by attending FX - other than the possible distractions of hangovers. :)

Also - for any Black Riband runners out there, the Ironbucky pre-declaration system is a prototype for the new Black Riband, really to go after the festival ends.

Last edited:

That's quite shocking.

Carry on.

o7

That said, Buckyball could never have fulfilled my childhood dream of seeing attacked megaships on fire off the shoulder of Orion!

No, really ...
YE7JhRZ.png
2.4 has wonderous sights to reveal!

Approximately fourteen hours to the start of the festival, so seeing as the first post is quite long, I thought I'd clarify the events.
Over the course of the Festival racers have the opportunity to win the following categories:

• The Ironbucky Trophy:
    • Open Unlimited Class
    • Cobra Classic Class
  • Festival of Racing:
  • Additional Events:

With the exception of the five "additional event" categories, each category could be entered individually. So you could turn up with a viper or eagle and just enter the open-unlimited station scramble, or you could make that run as a part of the combined three-event festival of racing.

You can run each individual festival of racing event as many times as you like, with your position on the overall leaderboard always using your best times from each individual event.

I'm not planning to break out individual section times from the Ironbucky except for the time that you're actually sat in a Scarab SRV (which will go towards the best SRV time with everything else).

I'll tweak the OP later, to add this clarification to it.

Before the festival begins, is there anything that does need clarifying better?

I hear the call of the Ironbucky, badly, but suspect that time will plot against my intentions...I can see myself doing quite the number of attempts at the Wasat Rally though, loved that one. :)

Intent to do stuff, of any kind, in the near future. Send my best regards to the brothers.

Approximately fourteen hours to the start of the festival, so seeing as the first post is quite long, I thought I'd clarify the events.

• The Ironbucky Trophy:
    • Open Unlimited Class
    • Cobra Classic Class
  • Festival of Racing:
  • Additional Events:

I'm not planning to break out individual section times from the Ironbucky except for the time that you're actually sat in a Scarab SRV (which will go towards the best SRV time with everything else).

I'll tweak the OP later, to add this clarification to it.

Before the festival begins, is there anything that does need clarifying better?

It's probably already been described but I'm lazy ... can we submit the separate parts of our IronBucky run for the individual races too?

It's probably already been described but I'm lazy ... can we submit the separate parts of our IronBucky run for the individual races too?
I'd been considering this during planning, and just hadn't gotten around to writing something up about it (because I'm lazy too ;)).

Yes you can submit parts of your Ironbucky runs for the individual races if you like. In this case, I'm even prepared to take your ship clock time from any point before the main scanner display reappears - rather than the station clock. So you're not disadvantaged by the turnaround time after hitting launch when you've just landed.

By the way, since Ironbucky Runs are all 'one shot' and are lost if your ship or SRV is destroyed (after the initial 15 minute starting window anyway) - please could you provide details of any DNF runs? Whether you just aborted your pre-registered run, or had your SRV explode 5 metres from the destination, Little Nuk loves those kind of details. In the unlikely event that nobody survives the Ironbucky then Nuk will be one very happy little gangster. ;)

I'm genuinely curious who'll win the two Ironbucky events, as Tanack and Nookie normally finish a few minutes ahead in SRV rallies, Cookiehole, AkenB and furrycat are faster in ships and not too far behind in SRVs and Alec is good at both and likes "no repairs" events. Plus so many other racers who are good at one or other of the three styles. I know that I'd do dreadfully 'cus I'm rubbish racing SRVs! :D

Top Bottom