Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Fat Tony's Festival of Racing (30 September - 15 October 3303)

Just registered for my first attempt at the Ironbucky.

Did a full run of the Wasat rally at a relatively good pace and ending with no less than 27% hull. It. All. Went. AWESOME!

TbvR5Uk.jpg

How 'bout that race marshal? Do I qualify for another attempt? As soon as I recover my full gear from the street four stories below, that is.

Last edited:
Managed 2 complete runs and 2 aborted runs on the Bubble Tour. Best run could still have been better, had an interdiction and got stuck in a beluga.

I never used to like the DBX but it is growing on me now I'm flying it a bit more.

Not sure I'll have time for an Iron Bucky run.

Edit: And while I'm here intent to race in the Scramble

CMDR Markzx59/racer1
Ship: Cobra mk3 - 59
Open/unlimited

Last edited:

Did a full run of the Wasat rally at a relatively good pace and ending with no less than 27% hull. It. All. Went. AWESOME!

https://i.imgur.com/TbvR5Uk.jpg

How 'bout that race marshal? Do I qualify for another attempt? As soon as I recover my full gear from the street four stories below, that is.

Arghhhh! That happening was my worst fear in the closing minutes of my own Ironbucky run!

Fat Tony's Festival of Racing - Current Standings - 00:00 GMT 11-OCT-3303

THE IRONBUCKY TROPHY

No new Ironbucky Trophy entries have been submitted. CMDR Aken B. attempted a run, but it was aborted due to galactic instability. All was not lost though, driven by rage Aken had one more shot at the Wasat Rally...

CxjuCiD.png

OPEN UNLIMITED CLASS

Nxh9lUb.png

Powered by the pure rage of his aborted Ironbucky run CMDR Aken B. launched again from Brash Dock in Preemptive Exploder and flew an inspired run of 18:40 in the Wasat Rally, smashing the 20 minute barrier and also snatching back the best Wasat Cup SRV time from Tannik with a time of 11:32 in his Scarab SRV The Tumbling Initiative.

Aken also improved his Station Scramble time with a great run of 20:17 in Preemptive Exploder, to close within 30 seconds of Bruski. However he still found himself slipping to third place in the scramble thanks to a brilliant run of 19:26 by CMDR Polly in her Imperial Courier Pollywog. Polly's run nearly ended in disaster as she hit a Beluga on entry to Brash Dock, but a lucky bounce via a support strut took her straight to her assigned pad.

Further back in the scramble is CMDR Markzx59 in his Cobra Mk III 59. At 23m55 CDMR Mark is 5 seconds adrift of Alec Turner, but his run was hampered by Pilot Cadet racer1 Jr needing to use the Mk III's toilet mid-race and the ship's cat manually dropping the ship out of supercruise, so not a bad run at all under those circumstances. I would say never race with animals or children, but the guy who started it all races alongside a kangaroo, so what would I know!

Mark and Polly were also in action action in the Bubble Tour: CMDR Markzx59 flew his DBX Hellfire and got a good time of 32:12, he lies in 4th place less than two minutes behind tour leader CMDR Bruski. Polly meanwhile slipped into second place with an excellent run of 31:21 in her Asp Explorer Regina Noctis. With me stuck in the bar at Brash Dock, coordinating the race and reassuring Little Nuk that someone's bound to go boom sooner or later, it's nice to see a fellow Asp racer giving the Diamondbacks a run for their money.

pl62KhW.png

45twoaE.png

2kIfbAO.png

VcxgjRx.png
GgIr8H2.png

COBRA CLASSIC CLASS

nEs2MAE.png

In Cobra Classic class CDMR Stern Winter becomes the first CMDR to register a time in all three events, and is therefore currently unopposed on the overall leaderboard with a total time of 1h49m54s.

Stern made an improved Station Scramble run of 24:21 in Bi-Weekly Penguin to overtake Bruski and close the gap on Samwell Drakhyr to less than two minutes.

Stern also ran in the Wasat Rally, setting a baseline Cobra Classic time in this event of 38:06, with a very respectable SRV time along the Wasat Cup course of 26:37 in Snowmobile, despite claiming to be really, really bad at fliving.

jLn4hm9.png

LcsRq66.png

LbKpS7A.png

f5sYEFh.png
MLaEqeU.png

WASAT CUP COURSE - SRV TIMES

TzbzOJi.png

Last edited:

https://i.imgur.com/TbvR5Uk.jpg

Ouch, that's harsh. :(

Since the server disconnect is out of your control, I've spoken to Fat Tony and he's prepared to give you back your Ironbucky slot #3 if you need it.

Also, apologies to CMDR Jak. Due to a scoreboard malfunction his time has been randomly swapping around, but is now correct.

Cookiehole may not have registered a time yet, but it seems the cookiebots are out in force.

Last edited:
That is a serious amount of score boards you're updating there cmdr :)

I did also manage to go through the slot at 500m/s but on reviewing the evidence the clock was not visible during the experience. I could upload some video but, hopefully I can improve upon it to make unnecessary.

Had time for all three this morning. My Bubble Tour was slower than the one I did as part of my Ironbucky run, my Station Scramble (submitted) was marginally better but doesn't change my leaderboard standings and as for my Wasat run, well ... there was a rock with my name on it (circled at the beginning) ..

[video=youtube_share;XtaXcuIZZK4]https://youtu.be/XtaXcuIZZK4[/video]

I've had better mornings.

Hi guys ... just stumbled across an old video somebody made for the Tunnel Vision race. Was gonna post it on the original race thread but it's been locked. It's good fun so I thought I'd post it here instead.

[video=youtube_share;UcYYB_d97Cw]https://youtu.be/UcYYB_d97Cw[/video]

whoop!

managed to get a Bubble run in, just before the servers went down ! (nothing like a deadline to focus the mind)

having done next to nothing for several weeks i was a bit race rusty, but managed to have fun and that's the main thing.

Last edited:
Finally the last exam lies behind me, so there's time for racing now!
Unfortunately, this SRV stuff is hard. I did 5 wasat practice runs so far, and on the only one that didn't end in an explosion I had to use repairs. Driving instead of flyving isn't a good solution to this problem, since I'd be way too impatient for this. Maybe going faster? Higher speed means fewer landings, but it feels like there's a coin toss when going > 80 m/s: Either a perfect bounce with 0 % damage, or a double impact with 2 * 50 %...

*walks into the bar, and picks up a drink*

Okay, I've arrived!

More importantly my ships' systems have been hand tuned by their maintenance crews, the optimal routes for the various races have been plotted, bookmarks have been set, and the pilot is all set to go! My Lakon Type-9 Heavy, complete with that delightful new ship smell, is on the docking pad, ready to leap into action!

Right after I do some real life fetch quests. :p

Unfortunately, this SRV stuff is hard. I did 5 wasat practice runs so far, and on the only one that didn't end in an explosion I had to use repairs. Driving instead of flyving isn't a good solution to this problem, since I'd be way too impatient for this. Maybe going faster? Higher speed means fewer landings, but it feels like there's a coin toss when going > 80 m/s: Either a perfect bounce with 0 % damage, or a double impact with 2 * 50 %...

Yeah there's definitely an unpredictable factor that gets worse the faster you go. You can influence it (speed, angle, finding ideal LZs) but can't entirely control it, so you have to balance the need to go fast with the need to get to the end in one piece and come to a safe stop. I love no-repair SRV races. :)

easily confused.com and i didn't do the original Wasat Rally.

seeking clarification on screenshots. i think it's a screenie from Elwood Landing pad (prior to deploying SRV) and one from Ferguson landing pad (once SRV has boarded ship). am i correct?
oh, and i can repair if im not doing the ironbucky, right?

Last edited:
Yes exactly as Drakhyr says. :)
The SRV time is between docked ship screenshots, that's how Kligg did it, because there wasn't a cockpit clock at the time. And SRV repairs are fine, but not in the Ironbucky.

Also welcome back cookiehole, please could you remove the cookiebots from the leaderboard(s) - anyone would think that I can't handle 15 boards without making mistakes! :)

Last edited:

I missed the first four ironbucky slots because of bad timing and time zone confusion (slots end at 6pm here, which is right before my free time of two kids in bed at 7PM), and my fifth slot ended in a double explosion. I tried racing with a new SRV after one blew up, I'm not sure that's allowed, but it might be the only way I can complete an Ironbucky run, and I'm not even sure if that will do it. Disappointing, since the last leaderboard I missed was the Alphabet of Science.

Currently accepting any and all tips on just how to complete the Wasat section. My last attempt ended up with me crawling below 20m/s over 10km on 2% hull, then bumping a tiny rock at 15 m/s, and blowing up I then proceeded to curse the Wasat Rally, the Ironbucky Trophy, Buckyballing, SRV driving, SRV flivving, Elite's stupid damage model, the incomprehensibly ineffective SRV shields, and generally everything within a 50 km radius. :p

Yeah there's definitely an unpredictable factor that gets worse the faster you go. You can influence it (speed, angle, finding ideal LZs) but can't entirely control it, so you have to balance the need to go fast with the need to get to the end in one piece and come to a safe stop. I love no-repair SRV races. :)

I have found my archnemesis. :p ;)

Top Bottom