Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Kick the Alien (and run like hell)

k1nOpeq.png

The Alien shipwrecks have been scanned, mapped, photographed, recorded, refuelled, patrolled, defended, mined, worshipped and shot at.

It's time for the Buckyball Racing Club to step in and do their thing.

Presenting: Kick the Alien (and run like hell)

A 26km round-trip SRV race, commencing Saturday 26th November 3302 and running until Sunday 11th December 3302*1.

[B]*1[/B] in order to allow my American cousins a full evening of last minute racing the final deadline is actually GMT 6am Monday 12th December.

Instructions:

• Fly to Pleiades Sector AB-W B2-4 planet 9A and land your ship at the Noctrach-Ihazevich Research Facility (sorry, yes it is quite a long way out of the bubble but it should only take you about 25mins to get there and the race itself is really short).

• Deploy your SRV but don't move yet.

• When you're ready take a screenshot from inside the garage (making sure you can see the clock in the top-right corner of your HUD) and then head on out.
Note: you can drive your SRV to a different garage before starting if you prefer.​

• Drive as fast as you can to the nearby alien crash site (it's easy to spot since the Buckyball Race marshals are hovering directly over it in a dirty great big majestic class interdictor).
MmKxtbA.png

• Kick the alien! (for the purposes of race adjudication this requires a second screenshot showing the HUD clock, taken from within the kicking zone highlighted in the following image).
5C7PxC5.png

Note: there is no need to stop your SRV while taking this screenshot ... every second counts right?​

• Run like hell back to Noctrach-Ihazevich and take a third and final screenshot of the HUD clock with the SRV parked safely back in its garage.
Here's what your screenshots should like:​

27BR4qA.png
BrZUfAn.png
FklwLlh.png
Pace car time: 17m 34s 20m (don't want to be accused of being competitive in my own race)​

• Race submissions will be accepted from 00:00 Saturday 26th November until 06:00 Monday 12th December (GMT).
Warning:

Don't even think about sneaking into your ship to fly between the base and the wreck. The ever vigilant Buckyball race marshals will hunt you down like a dog, chase you back to the research facility and pop your ship like a hydrogen filled party balloon!​

Really?

n5NriTm.png
Yes really.​

Other stuff:

• Planetary vehicle hangars and SRV's can be purchased from Noctrach-Ihazevich (or they could at the time of writing).

• While you're in the area why not visit the other crash sites:
System : HIP 17403​
Planet A 4 A​
Coord: -34.96 / -141.37​
System: HIP 17862​
Planet 6 C A​
Coord: 30.33 / -98.58​

• Or maybe go and write something in the sand outside "Pre Research Base" on HIP 17225 planet 1:
2qoVGta.png

Register your interest by completing the following sentence:
I want to take part in "Kick the Alien" because ...

Prizes
Although we don't normally hand out physical prizes for Buckyball Races (Kudos and Fun should be your just rewards), since it's nearly christmas I'm offering some (not very) limited edition Buckyball/FuelRat beermats to anyone finishing in the top 10. In addition, I'm being sent some goodies from those kind folks at Lave Radio (thanks Ben) which I'll also throw in for the winners.​

o7

QJSdyF6.png

Last edited:
For now, register your interest by completing the following sentence:

o7

...it ate my babysitter!

(yes, you're old if you know of this :p)

Longing for some SRV fun...and this time with a proper joystick, I'll have no excuses for crappy driving!

(seems like my personal rep reserve in your regard has leaks at the bottom, it's permanently empty...sorry Alec!)

(seems like my personal rep reserve in your regard has leaks at the bottom, it's permanently empty...sorry Alec!)

That's OK, I can't rep you either ... we'll call it quits. See you at the start line!

P.S. I've left it until next weekend so I can try and publicise it a bit more first. Should have a banner ready tomorrow and then I'll see if I can get it on Galnet and Lave radio and a few other places.

I want to take part in 'Kick the Alien' because I want to check if it's really dead. Also, I've not yet taken part in a SRV race.
I should be back from Hawking's Gap in time but I won't be able to race with my laptop because of a terrain generation problem, so I'll need to find the time on the family desktop - but there should be at least two evenings when I can take part.

http://i.imgur.com/k1nOpeq.png

The Alien shipwrecks have been scanned, mapped, photographed, recorded, refuelled, patrolled, defended, mined and shot at.

It's time for the Buckyball Racing Club to step in and do their thing.

Presenting: Kick the Alien (and run like hell)

A 26km round-trip SRV race, commencing Saturday 26th November 3302, for one week only[B]*1[/B].

https://youtu.be/hosK2C3VvzE

[B]*1[/B] maybe two, definitely no more than three

Pace car time: 17mins 20mins (don't want to be accused of being competitive in my own race)

Details closer to the time or when I've written them (whichever comes first).

For now, register your interest by completing the following sentence:

o7

... because I'm all out of bubblegum.

edit:

SRV: Prospector 1

Last edited:
You know, the funny thing is that I finally got my hands on some modular terminals, so I just engineered Slave of the Empire and Haulier than Thou with grade 4 and 5 FSD boosts (had a really good grade 4 rolls with both). And what's the next BRC race? An SRV one.[haha]

You know, the funny thing is that I finally got my hands on some modular terminals, so I just engineered Slave of the Empire and Haulier than Thou with grade 4 and 5 FSD boosts (had a really good grade 4 rolls with both). And what's the next BRC race? An SRV one.[haha]

If it's any consolation it's quite a long way out to the start line!

Full race details coming early next week (although you've probably all figured it out already).

Last edited:
Race instructions now up!

Slightly premature (remember - race doesn't start until Saturday) but I wanted them to be in place for when the news hits Galnet and Lave Radio (hopefully).

Top Bottom