The Alien shipwrecks have been scanned, mapped, photographed, recorded, refuelled, patrolled, defended, mined, worshipped and shot at.
It's time for the Buckyball Racing Club to step in and do their thing.
Presenting: Kick the Alien (and run like hell)
A 26km round-trip SRV race, commencing Saturday 26th November 3302 and running until Sunday 11th December 3302*1.
[B]*1[/B] in order to allow my American cousins a full evening of last minute racing the final deadline is actually GMT 6am Monday 12th December.
- Fly to Pleiades Sector AB-W B2-4 planet 9A and land your ship at the Noctrach-Ihazevich Research Facility (sorry, yes it is quite a long way out of the bubble but it should only take you about 25mins to get there and the race itself is really short).
- Deploy your SRV but don't move yet.
- When you're ready take a screenshot from inside the garage (making sure you can see the clock in the top-right corner of your HUD) and then head on out.
Note: you can drive your SRV to a different garage before starting if you prefer.
- Drive as fast as you can to the nearby alien crash site (it's easy to spot since the Buckyball Race marshals are hovering directly over it in a dirty great big majestic class interdictor).
- Kick the alien! (for the purposes of race adjudication this requires a second screenshot showing the HUD clock, taken from within the kicking zone highlighted in the following image).
Note: there is no need to stop your SRV while taking this screenshot ... every second counts right?
- Run like hell back to Noctrach-Ihazevich and take a third and final screenshot of the HUD clock with the SRV parked safely back in its garage.
Here's what your screenshots should like:
Pace car time:
17m 34s 20m (don't want to be accused of being competitive in my own race)
- Submit your entry by sending your set of three screenshots (link to an imgur album preferred) to me via forum pm (or email to email@example.com) along with your commander name, the name of your SRV and your race time (this is the difference between the times shown in your first and last screenshots and can be calculated using the following website: https://www.timeanddate.com/date/timeduration.html).
- Race submissions will be accepted from 00:00 Saturday 26th November until 06:00 Monday 12th December (GMT).
Don't even think about sneaking into your ship to fly between the base and the wreck. The ever vigilant Buckyball race marshals will hunt you down like a dog, chase you back to the research facility and pop your ship like a hydrogen filled party balloon!
- Planetary vehicle hangars and SRV's can be purchased from Noctrach-Ihazevich (or they could at the time of writing).
- While you're in the area why not visit the other crash sites:
System : HIP 17403
Planet A 4 A
Coord: -34.96 / -141.37
System: HIP 17862
Planet 6 C A
Coord: 30.33 / -98.58
- Or maybe go and write something in the sand outside "Pre Research Base" on HIP 17225 planet 1:
Register your interest by completing the following sentence:
I want to take part in "Kick the Alien" because ...
Although we don't normally hand out physical prizes for Buckyball Races (Kudos and Fun should be your just rewards), since it's nearly christmas I'm offering some (not very) limited edition Buckyball/FuelRat beermats to anyone finishing in the top 10. In addition, I'm being sent some goodies from those kind folks at Lave Radio (thanks Ben) which I'll also throw in for the winners.