Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Kick the Alien (and run like hell)

DSkoQCU.png

This looks like fun.

Time permitting I'll come out of my Buckyball Semi-Retirement and give this a go.
Also, there's a higher than likely chance I'll be able to cover the race results on RSW again.
(If you Buckyballers are still into that kind of thing)

Absolutely, the more coverage the better. Buckyball attendance has dropped recently, partly because some of the usual suspects have drifted away, partly because FD (curse them) have given us too much actualy gameplay to allow any spare time for racing and partly because (for reasons I've never fully understood), it's bloody hard to reach out to people who've never tried a race and encourage them to do so.

Nothing would make me happier than to see 3 or 4 brand new commanders sign up for this race (if you're reading this and are new to Buckyballing then this means YOU!).

To this end I've publicised this one a bit more heavily than usual. I've created this thread way in advance, I've got my signature link setup and have been deliberately posting all over the forum to get it noticed, I've got a Galnet article way in advance (today!), I've timed a post on the ED community fb page today to coincide with that, I've asked Lave radio to give us a plug tonight and I've asked Brett and Zac to put it in Fridays newsletter.

We'll see.

Last edited:
Hey Alec! To make up for not being able to make a video for the last race, We are going to do this event on our Live Stream on Monday! It'll be on our Twitch channel (aGhostGiraffe) probably from 10am-12noon EST. If we get viewers dropping in we might just do it en-mass for the lols. We've been making up some original srv races lately and this comes at a good time to do something new again =D

Hey Alec! To make up for not being able to make a video for the last race, We are going to do this event on our Live Stream on Monday! It'll be on our Twitch channel (aGhostGiraffe) probably from 10am-12noon EST. If we get viewers dropping in we might just do it en-mass for the lols. We've been making up some original srv races lately and this comes at a good time to do something new again =D

That's awesome news! I'll be at work (that's between 3-5pm UK time if my calculations are correct) but I'll try and tune in anyway.

Good luck!

P.S. in other news I've invited Cmdr reloooops to give it a try - if he accepts then I have to say the #1 spot on the podium is probably spoken for! (or is it?)

:D

Quick update - I've been setting up the scoreboard and just realised we don't have a ship name column for this race ... boo! Instead I've now changed the submission rules slightly to ask that you supply an SRV name instead ... yay!

Oh, and a preliminary starting grid is slowly taking shape at the bottom of post #1.

Last edited:
I want to take part in "Kick the Alien" because ... I haven't been publicly humiliated in a while.

CMDR brianpmack
SRV name: Yellow Fever

I want to take part in "Kick the Alien" because ...
... been kicking them since 1994.

CMDR ufo.mesh

o7

I want to take part in "Kick the Alien" because ...
... they took er jerbs!

CMDR Admiral Spoon
SRV: Mud Crab

Oh my god, new people :eek: ... quick Raiko! tidy up those beer cans, Cheetah! toss out those old pizza boxes.

straightens dressing gown

Welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club! So nice to see some new faces around here. I hope you enjoy the race and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

o7

Meanwhile, somewhere in the Epsilon Indi system ...

[video=youtube_share;6kPn3VlOIws]https://youtu.be/6kPn3VlOIws[/video]

Last edited:
Hanger: 21-Charlie
Station: MacKenzie Relay
Planet: Emerald
System: Cemiess

Chief Engineer Gyeong Castro (a proper engineer, not one of those mad tinkerers, thank you very much) scratched off another item on the refit of her current job, a truly classic Cobra Mk III, the Slave of the Empire. The over-"engineered" yet tiny reactor was a pain to work with, the power management adjustments were a nightmare, and yet was sufficient to keep the Slave powered up with all weapons extended, and somehow also let the ship jump, without taking damage, while still close enough to scoop scoop from a sun. She shook her head. She personally thought Commanders mad to jump through hoops to have those "engineers" experiment with their ships, but she couldn't deny the results.

"Chief, incoming," technician Eric Watanabe called out, as he double checked the SRV retrieval modifications to the cargo hatch. Gyeong looked across the hanger, and saw her patron, Commander Inga Stevenson, striding across the deck, a huge grin on her face. It was grin #5: I just had a brilliant idea, and you're not going to like it.

"Chief Castro," Inga began as she approached the worried engineer. "I've been thinking..."

"No."

"I beg your pardon?"

"I said 'no.' You are not going to take that overpowered monstrosity of a Hauler out to the Pleiades. You're going to want to do some exploring out there, and Haulier than Thou simply doesn't have the room to bring everything you'll need out there. You need to bring your SRV, Prospector 1, with you, which means you'll also need a shield generator. That leaves you with your choice of a discovery scanner or surface scanner, but not both. Plus you'll have no room to bring back any interesting items you find out there. Which in turn means you will need to bring the Slave like you originally intended. Now why don't you go over the specs of the Emerald Dawn refit you'd been planning one more time, so it'll be ready when you get back?"

"Yes, ma'am." Commander Stevenson turned around and headed back to the door of the hanger, a slightly confused look on her face.

'Commanders,' the engineer thought, shaking her head. 'A real pain to work with, unless you got to know them. Once you did, they became very easy to work with.'

"Okay, Eric! Get Prospector 1 loaded, and then get started on one more inspection. The Slave is going to be gone several weeks, and I don't want our patron dying out there because we didn't do our jobs!"

"Yes, ma'am!"

SRV: Prospector 1

"Okay, Eric! Get Prospector 1 loaded, and then get started on one more inspection. The Slave is going to be gone several weeks, and I don't want our patron dying out there because we didn't do our jobs!"

"Yes, ma'am!"

SRV: Prospector 1

Well if that doesn't warrant an update to the starting grid I don't know what does!

loud banging and sawing sounds start to emanate from the INV Dreadnought

Done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom