Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Kick the Alien (and run like hell)

Hello all...

I m here .. and I want to take part in "Kick the Alien" because ... for a kicked to ride..

Good ride ..

Sorry folks, race is over.

HseQOoR.png

:p

But seriously, bienvenue!

P.S. Is "Good ride" actually the name of your SRV? I'm assuming not. :)

Last edited:
Good ride ..

Is "Good ride" actually the name of your SRV? I'm assuming not. :)

If it wasn't before.. It is now.
For it has been recorded in the detailed data being kept by myself as a reporter for Radio Sidewinder News.

If you wish to petition a name change of your Ship/SRV you must complete and submit a form '52-71 A' [Request to Change Vehicular Details in Radio Sidewinder Information Archives] this must be signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.

Last edited:
I'm dizzy after watching the demo video. Goodness knows how you feel doing that in VR, Alec (is there a brown paper bag behind the seat?). I'm not remotely optimistic for my time, as I've never flown an SRV before (flown being more appropriate than driven for this course...) and struggle to control my direction at anything more than 10 m/s - but that's why I want to at least attempt the course.
SRV name: Matchbox

I'm dizzy after watching the demo video. Goodness knows how you feel doing that in VR, Alec (is there a brown paper bag behind the seat?).

:)

Much as I'd like to take credit for an iron stomach, I wasn't using the Oculus when I did that. Frankly if I do much more than bump, very slowly, over a small rock in VR I just want to hurl (actually, getting my framerate up to 90 has helped but I'm long way off being able to do anything at speed).

On a serious note, I really hope that video doesn't put people off having a go. On a scale from 1 to 10 for SRV driving I reckon' I'm nearly a 7 these days. I'm hoping this race might have some 9's or maybe even a 10 but I also really hope we get some 1's and 2's as well. Buckyball racing for me has always been a learning experience and nothing would please me more than to see someone who's never driven an SRV at speed give it a shot, tumble head first down the hill, blow up, try again, struggle all the way to the crash site and back, lose miserably but have an absolutely hilarious time in the process, and come away with a better feel for the vehicle's handling and a passion for doing more of it.

This was me nearly two years ago ...

Keep scrolling!

JLX4o9i.jpg

35 MINUTES slower than the fastest time ... LOL

Last edited:
That's a very impressive display, and so the video above pretty much covers it with regard to the professional SRV flyers...

Now, here's what the actual expectations are for normal people and the "regular buckyballer" in general:

https://youtu.be/ECOmBh4RXvc

Remember, if you aren't feeling dizzy at the end, you are doing it wrong :D

Rhello all ..

This , perhaps less dizzy ...
https://youtu.be/Xxv9Zhpysi0

Have fun

Absolutely beautiful. I forsee the 15 minute barrier being broken.

That's a very impressive display, and so the video above pretty much covers it with regard to the professional SRV flyers...

Now, here's what the actual expectations are for normal people and the "regular buckyballer" in general:

https://youtu.be/ECOmBh4RXvc

Remember, if you aren't feeling dizzy at the end, you are doing it wrong :D

Absolutely hilarious. I forsee many SRVs being broken.

Starting grid updated, 18 racers now lined up!

3ISqmbs.png

P.S. if anyone is going to be practicing, either around 6am UK time tomorrow (Friday) or else around 8pm UK time tomorrow, could they maybe let me know via pm (and also send me an in-game friend request) so I can come and video you from the air.

Last edited:
On a scale from 1 to 10 for SRV driving I reckon' I'm nearly a 7 these days. I'm hoping this race might have some 9's or maybe even a 10 but I also really hope we get some 1's and 2's as well.

On a scale from 1 to 10 for SRV driving I reckon I can definitely cover one of those "1's and 2's" spots for you!

But I'm going to have fun anyway, and maybe improve to a 3 by the end. :D

SRV Name: Bandit One.

Well...

It's night right now at the crash site. Of course, I didn't allow a little thing like it being pitch black out there stop me, so I foolishly tried to run the course anyways.

31 minutes later, me and my extremely battered SRV limped back into the research facility, never seeing the [alien] crash site, despite being right underneath the Capital Ship. It doesn't show up on the WAVE scanner either. Boo. :(

On a positive note, my SRV can apparently tumble end over end over end in VR, and I won't get sick. Yay. :p

If I'm reading this correctly, this moon's day is about 34 hours long. From what I can see, it's only a couple of hours past sunset right now. If my calculations are correct, there won't be daylight when I can drive for at least three days.

:mad: Argh. [mad]

Here's hoping I'm wrong about this, otherwise I may be doing some exploring rather than some racing for a while.

Last edited:
So i have two questions:

1. Just wanted to ask if the modifications, I made to the SRV are ok to use in the race?
http://i.imgur.com/s26FlHo.jpg
It's such a beauty. [haha]

2. If the Synthesis for repair was allowed or not, and if yes, are there some time penalties for using one?

LOL ... are you sure that SRV is even roadworthy? It's wheels look kinda loose to me.

Re: repairs ... yes, they're allowed, no penalty. In fact, if you watch closely, I actually do a repair in my demonstration video.

Well...

It's night right now at the crash site. Of course, I didn't allow a little thing like it being pitch black out there stop me, so I foolishly tried to run the course anyways.

31 minutes later, me and my extremely battered SRV limped back into the research facility, never seeing the [alien] crash site, despite being right underneath the Capital Ship. It doesn't show up on the WAVE scanner either. Boo. :(

On a positive note, my SRV can apparently tumble end over end over end in VR, and I won't get sick. Yay. :p

If I'm reading this correctly, this moon's day is about 34 hours long. From what I can see, it's only a couple of hours past sunset right now. If my calculations are correct, there won't be daylight when I can drive for at least three days.

:mad: Argh. [mad]

Here's hoping I'm wrong about this, otherwise I may be doing some exploring rather than some racing for a while.
Thanks for the information! I think it should be daytime there on Saturday evening (GMT) so that might be a good time for me to make my first run, although I find it easier to make time in the afternoon. A practice run in the dark might be interesting, or close to sunrise/sunset when the canyon is in shadow.

Quick shout out to Cmdr Cosby714 who was checking out the course this morning (in beautiful sunshine I hasten to add). I'm afraid I didn't capture any video of your antics as I was in the Oculus and not set up for video capture.

o/

Hope you decide to enter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom