Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Mid Week Madness - Fly Me To The Moon (19th - 21st July)

Someone once said "we'll go to the Moon and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"...judging from the first reports that are coming to the race committee, things appear to be hard indeed :)

Spectators at Moon Prospect were attending a reenactment of the construction of the first permanent structures on Earth's Moon by autonomous robots in the late 21st century, when they witnessed a small, high speed object coming down from the sky and impacting the ground in the far distance, raising a big cloud of dust and sending sparkling debris all over. At first they thought it was part of some exhibition about the first human probes reaching the Moon at the start of the space age. It turned out be just CMDR Bruski performing a by-the-book lithobraking maneuver. Watch out for that hull, Eagles are cheap for a reason! :D

Also I forgot to target Moon Prospect directly after SRV deployment so I don't have that required screenshot with distance and clock while standing still. Let me know if that's a reason for a DSQ (it definetely is with a strict interpretation of the rules) or if I should submit anyway and upload the video of that part of the run.

A small clarification about that part of the rules: since the boards will show both flight time and SRV time, I opted to have both a screenshot with the landed ship, counting for the hull penalty, and a SRV screenshot in view of the base to use as starting reference for the SRV time. The final time won't be flight+SRV+penalty, but will also include the seconds needed to deploy the rover and point it in the right direction. Since the SRV time is in the board just for added information and won't count for any particular award on its own, there's no need to be too tight with the relative rule.
To sum it up, if you grab the screenshot in the correct way, it will just count for showing more precisely your SRV time in the board. If you miss the first SRV screen, I'll count your landed ship one for SRV start time. The landed ship one is mandatory, if you miss it it will be a DSQ run.

Stay tuned for first boards update, coming soon!

P.S: @Bruski - I like "Finietur in Ignis" very much, it's more in the fiery Bucky spirit than "Lacryimis", I'll do the change if you are ok with it ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification! I've grabbed a screenshot of SRV deployment aswell, that should allow for a more precise SRV time.

The Falcon has landed, submissions for both runs incoming (maybe just in time for the board update).

I'll probably try the Courier tomorrow as the FSD roll on the Asp was juuuust not good enough to make the second leg in one jump aswell. Those 45s difference might be well-invested in more speed and elegance :D

Last edited:
The first results have finally arrived:
VjFY5sz.png

In Open Unlimited Cmdr Cookiehole starts by doing what he usually does best, that is to see others from above, even if there's only Cmdr Stern Winter to be seen for now with a respectable time of 28:08 made in is "engineering-free" Asp Cool Runnings. Sadly, this seems to have been his ship's last race effort ever, having encountered a (probably) fiery demise while in the making of an improved second run. Ships come and go, but good memories are forever. As are the holes that the insurance fee leaves in your bank account. Don't give up!

qKv04Oc.png

In the Eagle Lander class it's still Cookiehole doing its thing, this time at the expense of poor Cmdr Bruski that still had the merit of being the first to complete the course, even if he barely made it back with what remained of his ship. I'm confident things will heat up soon in this class. Well, judging from reports from these first brave pilots, there are things that have been heating up already. Does a fried eagle smell like chicken?

Last edited:
If anyone else is interested, I tried to create a custom HUD to match the race graphics, since I liked them and I needed to appease my inner OCD nerd.

Ignore the extra glowiness, that's from EDFX, and my addiction to shininess.

lqph1FL.jpg

Last edited:
A small update from the second day of racing:

hzebS6Z.png

It's Cmdr Bruski again, this time in the Open Unlimited class, gliding his Asp Explorer Sugar Glider comfortably in 2nd position. This class remains an Asp affair for now, more updates hopefully soon!

Does a fried eagle smell like chicken?
You're right on the money with that observation! :D

I'll try the Courier now. The flight profile might be too complicated though (I could really use a flight engineer for all the power- and fuel-management)...

CMDR Cookiehole
Open Unlimited
Imperial Courier Crater Creator
Will have to change the motto to
"Temperature critical"

Edit: Dammit, messed up the final jump and lost around 50-60s. Lost another few seconds with the hangar and in the SRV, but the overall drive was a bit better. Proof of concept established though :D

Last edited:
Asp Explorer, Big Bird
Motto: "Terrain warning, pull up"
Pulling up won't work in an Asp :p

Second Courier run was a success, with a bit more luck and routine in power- and fuel management and the best (read luckiest) SRV drive I've probably ever done.
Surprisingly I was mostly below 100% heat (with 2d PP), probably due to not having to scoop as often as the Eagle :eek:
Problems were mainly caused by that slow landing gear and bad approach speed management leading to an 'artificial gravity test' right above the pad at Aldrin Terminal. :D

I had a live regulation Eagle race with Bruski, which was fun. We both weren't great in supercruise and we both forgot about the lack of refuel thing, leading to us both scrabbling around to replot via - as it turned out - the same system. I at least avoided interdiction, if not a continuing inability to fly the SRV with the 2.1 physics/my force sensing joystick/a combination of both.

Well... Joyeuse isn't quite finished yet, but... if I can think up a sufficiently clever motto for the mission, I might show up.

EDIT: Got one.

EDIT 2: After further research, I fail at Latin. Corrected (I think).

CMDR Timothy Knight
Joyeuse
Imperial Courier
Unlimited (very)
Ex velocitas victoria

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Cmdr Mutesquash, a Cobra Mk IV is a very rare beast to be seen around these woods, good luck and godspeed! ;)

Though I like the quote you have chosen as motto (you can't argue with what it says [big grin]), I'm obliged to ask you something quite a bit shorter, preferably something that can fit in the last column of that table at the bottom of the first post. Thank you!

Welcome aboard Cmdr Mutesquash, a Cobra Mk IV is a very rare beast to be seen around these woods, good luck and godspeed! ;)

Though I like the quote you have chosen as motto (you can't argue with what it says [big grin]), I'm obliged to ask you something quite a bit shorter, preferably something that can fit in the last column of that table at the bottom of the first post. Thank you!

I had to fix my motto also, please take note. Thanks!

Just done my first run. I probably won't submit the time ;) Hopefully get another run in tomorrow.

I properly melted my eagle after you all mentioned fuel management lol. But loosing 70% hull just from heat damage I guess is going to cost me in penalty time...

I had to fix my motto also, please take note. Thanks!

Noticed, I'm updating the staging area as I'm writing this. I fail at latin too (my far ancestors wouldn't be proud of me, shame, shame, shame [sour]), but since "ex" means "from", it sounds correct to me too.

I properly melted my eagle after you all mentioned fuel management lol. But loosing 70% hull just from heat damage I guess is going to cost me in penalty time...

Just a quick tip for all the poor souls roasting their Eagles to rush to the finish line: as racer1 has probably guessed, going fast at all costs doesn't equal to being the fastest. Two or three seconds lost in refueling are still better than a dozen one evaporating with your hulls. Same goes for landing the thing. In a race, it's usually the cleanest line to get the fastest time ;)

With the second (and second to last) day of racing coming to a close, together with several pilots enlisting to test their skill in the course, there's a new time entry together with a couple of substantial improvements:

Ae10glb.png

In Open Unlimited, Cmdr Cookiehole mothballed his Asp to take out of the hangar his basking-in-the-glory-of-the-Emperor Courier. And it served him well, shaving another two minutes from an already scorching time. A truly "breathless" run, wasn't it? :p

MjuwHfs.png

In the Eagle Lander class, Cmdr Bruski improves his time in the Charred Briquette, this time with 64% less charring! We also welcome Cmdr Stern Winter and his Bloody Penguin, who took him to the finish line in a solid 36 minutes, through all kinds of misfortunes. Bloody misfortunes.

We saw a couple of the top Buckyball boys enlisting for the race, together with the freshly arrived Cmdr Mutesquash67283. We can truly say there are "A lot" of expectations right now... (sorry, I know I know, it gets old after some time, can't help it :D)

Last edited:
Well, that may have been the most humiliatingly terrible performance I've ever put up in a race. I don't have time for another run, though, so it'll have to stand.

Mostly because of the SRV. I cannot drive that thing fast. No, I mean, I'm really bad at it. Probably because I almost never use the thing unless I absolutely have to. Usually don't even carry one.

I think I had maybe 30% SRV hull remaining when I made it to Moon Prospect.

Still, it was fun. I'll parse the video and extract the screenshots and submit the time later.

I should proabably change my motto for this mission to "How do you drive this #@$@ thing again?" :p

EDIT:

Oh, never mind. My video cannot provide a valid SRV screenshot (with the clock, and the distance, and speed at 0). Because I use headtracking and I was looking down at the only moment that I came to a complete stop after selecting the base, the clock isn't visible.

And there's a reason I don't want to just post the whole video (yet).

Guess I have to disqualify myself! :|

Well, honestly, that may be a relief. :p

EDIT 2: Meh. As terrible as my time was, I don't want to not post one. Would you accept the snippet of video from when I disembark from the ship to when I set off toward Moon Prospect (which includes all of the required data - just not all on screen at once) in lieu of the screenshot?

Last edited:
Welp, I survived!

There may have been some minor turbulence.

I didn't get nearly as good a time as I was hoping for, I might have cut the fuel a little closer than I should have at one point...

Top Bottom