Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Multi Ship Madness (12th - 14th July)

sKshRZ3.png

So far in Buckyball history, pilots always tried to race one ship around a course in the fastest possible way. But studies reveal that it's more profitable for shipyards, starport operators and insurance companies if pilots own and operate multiple vessels. This is why Wolf 562 Major Inc. and Cookiebot Industries proudly present a short race in cooperation with Faulcon DeLacy and RemLock: Multi Ship Madness!

This event is now over.
For more races like this, visit buckyballracing.ork.uk

RULES
You will need to perform two laps with two different ships on the following course:
  1. have a ship for each lap docked at Wolf 562 / Hopkins Port and ready to go
  2. start docked at Wolf 562 / Hopkins Port in ship 1
  3. visit Neto and take a screenshot in the GalMap
  4. visit G 141-21 and take a screenshot in the GalMap
  5. return to Wolf 562 / Hopkins Port and take a screenshot when docked
  6. switch to ship 2 and return to the surface. Take a screenshot of the station clock before hitting 'launch'.
  7. dock at Neto / Ising Vision and take a screenshot
  8. dock at G 141-21 / Kimberlin Enterprise and take a screenshot
  9. return to Wolf 562 / Hopkins Port and take the finish screenshot when docked
Pit-Stop Time
The end of lap 1 is when the station clock appears at the docking of ship 1. Lap 2 starts just before the station clock disappears at the launch of ship 2.
The time between both laps doesn't count towards the duration of the run if it is shorter than 60s. If it's longer only the time difference between the 60s pit-stop-regulation time and the actual pit-stop time will be added to the time sum of the laps. More information about how times are calculated in the full regulations.
There is an Exception for already submitted runs in place.

RACE CLASSES

Unlimited
Any two different ships are allowed, as are Engineer mods and FSD injection.
Fly fast!

One-Design
  • In this class you have to race an Adder and a Viper with the following loadouts:
    Regulation Adder: This is the ship and loadout you will have to use for lap 1.
    Regulation Viper: This is the ship and loadout you will have to use for lap 2.
  • The ships and modules for the Regulation Class should be available at Hopkins Port.
  • For the Regulation Adder the Basic Discovery scanner may be exchanged for an Advanced Discovery Scanner.
  • It's strongly recommended to sell the Planetary Approach suite.
  • Engineer Mods, Performance Enhanced Thrusters and FSD injection are not allowed. Different Paintjobs, Bobbleheads and ship kits are of course allowed.
  • Keep an eye on the Route Planner. It's evil.

REGULATIONS

All runs have to be completed between 00:00:00 on Tuesday July 12th 3302 and 23:59:59 on Thursday July 14th 3302 ingame time. Entries have to be submitted until 9:00:00 on Friday July 15th.

All runs have to be made in Open Play to be ranked. Entries made in Private Groups or Solo mode will be added to the leaderboard but not receive a ranking.

Ship 1 and ship 2 have to be of different ship types. Two ships of the same type with different loadouts are not allowed. I. e. you may race an Asp Explorer and an Asp Scout but not an Insane-FSD-Hauler and an Insane-Thrusters Hauler.

Lap times are elapsed time between the start and end screenshots of the respective laps at Hopkins Port. If the time between the end of lap 1 and the start of lap 2 is 60s or less, the total time is the sum of both lap times. If the time between the end of lap 1 and the start of lap 2 is more than 60s, the total time is the elapsed time between the start of lap 1 an the end of lap 2 minus 60s. This means that you have 60s to switch between your ships and return to the surface for the start of lap 2.

Evidence:
All entries need evidence in form of screenshots or video to document the visits of all checkpoints. Screenshots can be taken using the F10 (standard) or F12 key (Steam) or can be extracted from video.
The video needs to show each system visit and docking but may be shortened in between. The following Screenshots / Frames of a video are necessary (8 during the run + at least one for each ship loadout):
  • Modules Tab of both ships. If there are Engineer-modded modules a screenshot of the Modification values in the Outfitting menu. Multiple screenshots if scrolling is required.
  • Docked at Hopkins Port in Wolf 562 in ship 1 (Start of lap 1)
  • Galaxy map in Neto showing location and clock
  • Galaxy Map in G 141-21 showing location and clock
  • Docked at Hopkins Port in Wolf 562 in ship 1 (end of lap 1)
  • Docked at Hopkins Port in Wolf 562 in ship 2 (start of lap 2)
  • Docked at Ising Vision in Neto in ship 2
  • Docked at Kimberlin Enterprise in G 141-21 in ship 2
  • Docked at Hopkins Port in Wolf 562 in ship 2 (end of lap 2)
'Docked' is when the station UI with time and date is visible.
For further information on evidence visit http://buckyballracing.org.uk/entry.html
It is recommended to record your run on video. You won't ruin a run by missing a screenshot and you can extract single frames if you don't want to upload the whole video. Also you can analyze and compare your runs and rewatch or share all the funny and not-so-funny accidents and fails.
Upload your screenshots/video to an openly accessible hosting service such as imgur.com or youtube.com. If you submit a video, please provide timestamps. Alternatively, screenshots can be submitted as an email attachment.

Submissions:
All entries have to be completed between 00:00:00 on Tuesday July 12th 3302 and 23:59:59 on Thursday July 14th 3302 ingame time. Entries have to be submitted until 9:00:00 on Friday July 15th.

To submit a run, send a PM to cookiehole or an email to cookiehole[at]buckyballracing[dot]org[dot]uk including:
Your CMDR name
Your forum name if different from your CMDR name
Ship 1 ship type and name
Ship 2 ship type and name
Game mode (Open / Solo / Private Group)
Race class (Unlimited / One-Design)
Link to your screenshots / video or email attachment

When submitting multiple entries per class the fastest one will be displayed on the leaderboard.

RESULTS
IF5pAbF.png

If you have any questions or might have spotted a secret Cookiebot attack on the rules or leaderboard please let me know ;)

Edits:
Clarification about 'different' ships
Added Warning about Route Planner
Added clarification about the pit-stop time
Added Exception for pit-stop-times
Final Board Update

Last edited:
Intent to race:

CMDR Stern Winter
Ship1: TBD
Ship2: TBD

I'm wondering: If you happen to think that the Orca is the best ship for racing in the game and you found the perfect loadout for it, would it be permitted to use two Orcas with identical loadouts ?
They would still be two different ships.

I might have to skip this one. I've just got to some planetary base where I need to start grinding rep with the local faction in order to get an invite to the next engineer (sorry, can't remember the names) and I'd quite like to pursue this endeavour for the next couple of days. And then of course it's Lavecon so no racing at the weekend for me.

I'm wondering: If you happen to think that the Orca is the best ship for racing in the game and you found the perfect loadout for it, would it be permitted to use two Orcas with identical loadouts ?
They would still be two different ships.
I thought I had included this in the rules, but apparently I forgot it. Sorry. By different ships I mean different ship types so that there's a bit more variety on the track, so sadly no two Orcas.

Riband 2.0 Diamondback Explorer
Blue Asp Fly Asp Explorer
Wait wait wait! An Asp? Explorer? :eek:

Asp Explorer

What the heck?

And there's no need to call your DBX horrible, it's not that bad.

CMDR Raiko
Ship 1: The Nomad (Asp Explorer)
Ship 2: Spirit of Icarus (Imperial Courier)

I'm not 100% sure that I'll manage to join in this one, but I'll do my best.
I keep thinking that I've had enough of the dangerous games Piracy CG, but then I go and try again - it's been the most fun/frustrating non-Buckyball thing that I've done for a while in ED.

Wait, is this... a race that Cookiehole might... not win? :p

I'll speculatively sign up, but I have a presentation to finish with a rather rapidly-approaching deadline, so attendance may vary... (What's that you say, Lavecon's this weekend? Must be a coincidence... :D)

CMDR Alot
Ship 1: Asp Explorer, Big Bird
Ship 2: Hauler, Explodes on Contact

Last edited:
Intent to race

CMDR Bruski

One-Design
Ship 1: Adder; Onyx Tail
Ship 2: Viper Mk III, Violet Fang

Looking forward to the novelty of a set course! :D

P.S. Can I get confirmation that the Viper is supposed to have a 3E Fuel Scoop?

Last edited:
P.S. Can I get confirmation that the Viper is supposed to have a 3E Fuel Scoop?
This is correct. These E-grade scoops get way too little love, so I thought why not including it? :p
It shouldn't have much of an effect anyway, as the route requires very little scooping if you don't forget filling up at the stations.

Looking forward to the first times :)

Last edited:
This is correct. These E-grade scoops get way too little love, so I thought why not including it? :p
It shouldn't have much of an effect anyway, as the route requires very little scooping if you don't forget filling up at the stations.

Looking forward to the first times :)

Worked fine! Poor little E-Class scoops. They do need hugs.

First time submitted. :D

first regulation run submitted. really enjoyed it, the SC approaches are interesting and I managed to pull of a sweet double planet brake at Kimberlain. My exit from the station - not so sweet. down to 14%! When i reviewed my video i chuckled as I 'gingerly & carefully' entered Hopkins Port at over 200ms :) [up]

more to come

fly like you mean it
<-lightspeed->

Looks tasty! I hope I can try something tomorrow, if Unlimited or One-Design still to be decided, I'll need to take a look at the course before. And at my bank account too, looks like I've set a course at full speed for "Broke planet" again :rolleyes:...

And we have our first two entries in the One-Design-Class!

First on the course was CMDR Bruski in the Adder Onyx Tail and the Viper Violet Fang. But less than an hour later, CMDR <-lightspeed-> did a run with Drum and Bass completing both laps over a minute faster. Both racers lost some amount of their Viper's hull, much to the delight of Wolf 562 Ship Repair ltd.

zMVe3zG.png

The staging area is filling with BRC regulars and the classic Asp Explorer seems to be the favourite ship in the Unlimited class so far.

pRwvEKn.png

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone racing and well done to cookiehole for a neat new idea.
I'm hurrying back from Jaques but I don't think I'm going to make it in time to put a run in (more than 13KLY away as I logoff tonight; even in a 40LY Anaconda it's too far). Once I'm back I plan to head out there again with another shipment of needed commodities, so it could be a while before I'm back racing, although I'm certainly learning a thing or two handling the Anaconda.

I'm in with a One-Design team, about time I took an Adder around again!

Cmdr Aken B.
Ship 1: Adder - Bud Spencer
Ship 2: Viper - Terence Hill
One-Design, Open

Submitting...or should I say, "incoming"! :p

Top Bottom