Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: My True Love Sent To Me (25 Dec - 6 Jan)

It seems this will be a no go for me for now....

First run, hit launch and....stuck for more than a minute, already launched but with the clamps not being released by station...ok never mind, I'll count this as a test run...all goes well until Rapa Bao, not enough snake skins...ok I'll come back after the next stop...I come back for the remaining skins, only to be greeted with a stuck station menu (could move mouse around, but couldn't select anything not even with the joystick)...oook I'll count this as scrap, restart!

Second run, no bugs this time...dock at Aerial, not enough apples, alas, on to Rapa Bao...not enough skins again...back to Aerial for the remaining apples, then back to Rapa Bao for the remaining skins (and 15 minutes down the drain), then on to Arouca...where they're one unit short of the required sweets...an hour and a half later, I'm calling it quit, before of a rage quit :(...

I'm ok with being out of luck, but I didn't expect to need a whole cargo full of it!

I hope to have time to try again another day...

Intent to race, when im back home from my holiday on my proper machine.
User: Robinjb
Cmdr: Kliggjr
Ship: Asp X
Ship name: Grey mullet
Class: Albatross

hmm , everywhere ive gone to put a ship as a marker that requires high numbers has 2 rares available.. so I think when you say theres a certain amount of luck involved, I think its an understatement drakhyr. the main factor determining times will be luck. I don't like that.
I was going to propose a race that involved fetching a ton of painite.. but decided against it because of luck determing the outcome. may as well pull names out of hat.

Last edited:
Declaring first intent to race.

CMDR: Jak
Ship Name: The Mini Enigma
Ship Type: Hauler
Class: Wren (open)
Scratch that. Even though I got it rebuilt and into position before going to bed, my spreadsheets corrected me.

CMDR: Jak
Ship Name: Nonlinear Jak-et
Ship Type: Diamondback Explorer
Class: Wren (open)

Last edited:
Following feedback, and having finally completed the pace run I didn't manage to do before Christmas, I am going to make a slight tweak to the rules:

Rules Update

Breaks, as previously described, may be made at any of the waypoint stations (not just Windt Terminal); but a maximum of 6 (six) breaks in total may be made at stations other than Windt Terminal. You can have any number of breaks at Windt Terminal, but the total number of breaks at other stations must be no more than six.

Following feedback, and having finally completed the pace run I didn't manage to do before Christmas, I am going to make a slight tweak to the rules:

Rules Update

Breaks, as previously described, may be made at any of the waypoint stations (not just Windt Terminal); but a maximum of 6 (six) breaks in total may be made at stations other than Windt Terminal. You can have any number of breaks at Windt Terminal, but the total number of breaks at other stations must be no more than six.
Presumably this is to assist with RNG not cooperating?

I've submitted my screenshots from a run I made on Christmas Day in my T6. Hopefully the buckyball email accounts can handle 7MB+ attachments. It needed multiple visits to about half the stations, including three visits to West Market, Karsuki Ti, and two breaks. I expect to finish last but I'm not sure if I will be making another attempt so I'd rather have a time on the board: it also seems like other racers are having to make multiple stops as well.
The interface freezing bug mentioned by @AkenBosch is something I also encountered during the run. I've had it happen, apparently at random, with the latest build but it has been reported as a bug so hopefully it will get fixed soon. Some people might be back at work tomorrow but I'm doubtful that any new patches will be released this side of the New Year - but there's still a chance it could happen before the race finishes on 5th Jan. If you log out to the main menu and then log back in again, then the menu interface is cleared but you return to the hangar - it's not disastrous for the run but it's certainly extra time you don't want. I lost much more time from a disconnection, which I imagine is fairly likely to occur for most people racing, given the loads over the holiday period.
Fly fast!

We have some entries!

mtlstm_albatross_dec28.jpg

mtlstm_falcon_dec28.jpg

In the Albatross class for larger ships, Cheetah and Edelgard von Rhein both managed to complete the course. Cheetah's Asp Explorer Millenium Robin came out top in this round, completing the course in one go with a wait at each station where necessary to be able to pick up the required quantity of items. Some way back was Edelgard's Type 6 Bento Beauty, delayed a little by making a couple of breaks back at Windt Terminal and having to backtrack a few times.

In the Falcon class, I finally managed to complete a pace run in my Cobra mkIII Back of Beyond. My approach was to keep going to new stations and just double back where needed, but the supply at Momus Reach led to me needing to make five visits in order to pick up five bog spaniels! Anyway, the time recorded is approximately half way between Cheetah's and Edelgard's times.

Do please note the updated rules on breaks above - the rules update was issued after all the above times were set, but should have a positive impact on the experience. This is indeed primarily to help with the RNG not cooperating, though it is also in response to the course taking longer than I realised!

I can also now add that the time added for each break will be 35 seconds (being an approximation of the time required after touching down to refuel, buy or sell a couple of items, get your landing pad turned round, and be released to go on your way).

I can also now add that the time added for each break will be 35 seconds (being an approximation of the time required after touching down to refuel, buy or sell a couple of items, get your landing pad turned round, and be released to go on your way).
Cool, I can add this too the rebroadcast tools suite.

I considered having my Type-6, "Attractive Nuisance", make its racing debut, but given likely supply shortages it seems like a smaller but more agile ship might be the better choice. The T6's advantage goes away if I can't do the whole run in one trip. So, I'll be racing my faithful Adder yet again.

CMDR Birdnose
Ship: "Gravitas Catastrophe"
Type: Adder
Class: Wren

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Also, thanks to drakhyr for that chart, which will be taped to my dashboard for the duration. ;)

Last edited:
The race is then to purchase, and return to Windt Terminal with, the following:
  • 12 x Karsuki Locusts (from West Market, Karsuki Ti)
  • 11 x Nguna Modern Antiques (from Biggle Hub, Nguna)
  • 10 x Tauri Chimes (from Porta, 39 Tauri)
  • 9 x Eden Apples of Aerial (from Andrade Legacy, Aerial)
  • 8 x Damna Caparaces (from Nemere Market, Damna)
  • 7 x Arouca Conventual Sweets (from Shipton Orbital, Arouca)
  • 6 x Rapa Bao Snake Skins (from Flagg Gateway, Rapa Bao)
  • 5 x Momus Bog Spaniel (from Tartarus Point, Momus Reach)
  • 4 x Ethgreze Tea Buds (from Bloch Station, Ethgreze)
  • 3 x Helvetitj Pearls (from Friend Orbital, Helvetitj)
  • 2 x Giant Verrix (from Greeboski's Outpost, Phiagre)
  • 1 x Kinago Violin (from Fozard Ring, Kinago)

Hiya folks ... been doin' christmas so this is one of the first times I've been on the forum for a while. Anyway, just wanted to point out a fairly serious flaw with the list of rare goods required for this race which I think will become apparent if you attempt to sing "5 Momus Bog Spaniels" ... see what I mean? it doesn't scan.

Having attempted to sing each of rare goods listed might I suggest that we go with "5 x Tauri Chimes" next year.

OK, that's all ... Happy ongoing Christmas everyone!

I tried to give it a shot again today, but after three stations out of supply in a row (Aerial, Rapa Bao and Karsuki Ti), two of which were I had to go back two times each to stock the required quantity (Aerial and Karsuki Ti), and having again to do back and forth twice between Arouca and 39 Tauri...and that's just for half the stations of the course...sorry but my fun factor run out of supply as many of the required wares, I am permanently retiring my previous intent to race. :(

Sorry if I'm coming along as the grumpy one, it's just that I still feel there's too much luck involved in this, to the point of making having to plan a route, and also trying to be as fast as possible on approaching, docking and departing, almost pointless...probably it's just me approaching the race with the wrong predisposition, and not having that much time to dedicate in these days (I planned on a race time around one hour and a half...it's been barely enough for half the race as it turned out in my case)...I'll keep the ship warmed up for the next event!

Sorry again, and best of luck to all participants! ;)

I just hope that all that trucking around for this Miss Heath will be worth the effort, she must be planning on one hell of a party! :D

I tried to give it a shot again today, I am permanently retiring my previous intent to race. :(
Sorry if I'm coming along as the grumpy one, it's just that I still feel there's too much luck involved in this, to the point of making having to plan a route,
Sorry again, and best of luck to all participants! ;)
I just hope that all that trucking around for this Miss Heath will be worth the effort, she must be planning on one hell of a party! :D

fantastically british way of saying jeez drakhyr.. if you hadn't had so much on your plate this xmas.. with the livestream and your other race just before this one you may have included a shorter 1 rare per stop class.. that people with shorter times to play could do. ;)
The good thing about raikos bootlegger race was the total could be made up of any rares. but I get you needed to stick to a song.
I think the race missed any thorough testing because of all that was going on.. Buckybear wants a word with you Drakhyr. ;)

EDIT:- so I just had a race, and I have to say congratulations you've managed to simulate the experience I used to have with Christmas shopping before they invented the internet ;)
Its one for the hardcore I think.. I did it in 4 legs, so 3 breaks. I was half lucky, a player tried to dict me in Tauri 39, he needed his chakras realigned. I had some terrible gravity loops of shame. and a gnawing worry that the amount of rares I needed would be at the station when I got there. im still not 100% I got everything on the list or even the right screenshots lol. we shall see.. cheers drakhyr it was a trip. pics link email coming at you.
Good luck xmas runners and may the gods of the rare cargo spawn be with you.

Last edited:
I'm not likely to get a run in until after my wife goes back to work next week, as we've been playing HotS together in the evenings. Between that, prepping for Distant Worlds, and working on the rebroadcast tools, which have been unexpectedly complicated due to cargo and breaks, I just haven't had any free time.

p.s., I'm still enjoying working on those tools, there's just a lot more to keep track of for a "real-time" leaderboard that shows ongoing progress, than one that only needs to show finishing times.

Started a run last night, but after my third docking mishap decided I wasn't sober enough and abandoned it. (Damn you, Fremont Bonfire Ale!)

I think my strategy is going to be to preferentially hit the high-number stations first (filling in with low number ones on the way back) since they're the ones I'm most likely to have to come back to later to get the needed amount. I'll probably just fly it as a casual 'seat of the pants' route; this doesn't seem like an easy one to compute an optimal route for.

Top Bottom