Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: On The Rocks 20-27 August 3304

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
0yYujUBh.jpg

Final Leaderboards

xsuouvsh.jpg

sxhRUPmh.jpg

Bucky's bar is normally full of pilots coming back from a race telling of some beautiful sights they'd seen while blasting through systems, they like the place and Bucky likes racers because they sure know how to party after a race. Following one of the recent races though there's been an influx of miners in the Fullerene C60 system, brought by the recommendations of the racers who passed through their system, and as well as keeping Bucky busy they've been talking about the new Asteroid bases that have been constructed over the last year in the core systems. They love being assigned to work at them as the water preserved in the asteroid itself makes the most amazing ice to put in their drinks, but the bars are run down, poorly managed and struggling to sustain the trade.

Bucky was never one for understanding why people insist on putting ice in their spirits, but these visitors had cleared him out of it, he needed some more and saw an opportunity to expand his empire into the asteroid market. So he needs your help!

giphy.gif

Take 5 Buckyball Beer Mats and deliver one to each of the asteroid bases nearby, to offer them the help they need if they join Bucky's empire. And on your way back make sure to pick up 5t of water from Jack's Town, which has the purest water of them all, and deliver it back to Bucky so he can keep his punters happy.

The Course

Start at Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system and then call at each of the following asteroid stations in any order:

Lone Rock - Othime
Freeholm - Artemis
Jack's Town - Felkan
Simbad's Refuge - Nu Tauri
Big Pappa's Base - Andhrimi

Then land back at Rebuy Prospect

There is no requirement in Open Unlimited as to when you buy the Water from Jack's Town, but in the Regulation Dolphin it will need to be your last stop.

Entry Classes

Entries will be accepted in two classes: Open Unlimited and Regulation Dolphin

For Open Unlimited class, you may use any ship type, and engineer-modified modules are allowed. Guardian FSD Boosters are not allowed. Neutron/White Dwarf boosts are allowed, however FSD Synthesis boost is not.

For the Regulation Dolphin class you need to use this specific build. If Bucky's really going to grab the attention of these bar owners, then you need to deliver the Beer Mats in style! At time of writing the closest source with all of the required items is Scully-Power Station in Ix 94.71Ly away.

The Equaliser

In order to try and encourage variety in ship types for the Open Unlimited class, I have implemented a timing system based on the jump range of your chosen ship. I am using 35Ly as the base jump range, if you are over that then you incur a time penalty at the end of your race, if you are under that then you get a bonus. This will allow you to use your favourite/fastest ship, even if the jump range might normally exclude it. The penalty/bonus is 45 seconds per jump (calculated by using EDDiscovery), it will be based on your current jump range in the Outfitting Screen when unladen, with full fuel tank (I will require a screenshot of the Optional Internals screen in Outfitting to show that you have a cargo rack big enough) and you will be graded on the closet higher value. For example if your jump range is 35.01Ly you will take the penalty for having a 40Ly jump range, just as you would if you had a 40.00Ly range. 5t of cargo should only reduce your jump distance by roughly 1Ly.

90w1Xnmh.jpg

How To Enter

State your intent to race in the thread below.

Race entries must start any time after 00:00:00 game time on Monday 20th August, and finish any time before 23:59:59 game time on Monday 27th August (as long as your run is started before 23:59:59 Monday 27th it will be accepted).

Standard information on how to enter, including example screenshots, can be found on the Buckyball Racing Club website.

Entries can be in any play mode, but joining the regulars in open play is encouraged.

Entries must include:
  • For Open Unlimited a screenshot of your ship outfitting showing Optional internals and your jump range and cargo capacity.
  • For Regulation Dolphin 2 screenshots of your ship outfitting showing Core and Optional internals and your jump range and cargo capacity.
  • The normal starting screenshot, showing your ship on the pad at Rebuy Prospect, with the station clock visible - THIS IS YOUR START TIME.
  • Screenshots of the Commodity Screen at each of the stations showing you about to sell 1t of Beer Mats
  • Screenshot of the Commodity Screen at Jack's Town showing you about to buy 5t of Water
  • A landed screenshot on the pad at Rebuy Prospect, showing the station clock - THIS IS YOUR FINISHING TIME
  • Screenshot of the Commodity Screen at Rebuy Prospect about to sell 5t of Water

This should make for 9 screenshots for Open Unlimited and 10 for Regulation Dolphin.

Send me a PM on the forums with a link to an imgur album containing your screenshots, as well as your CMDR name (and forum name if different), your ship type, your ship name and the entry class.

Fly Fast o7

Last edited:
Are Guardian FSD Boosters allowed? I think your handicap system probably covers them - but given the ranges of the ships flown in the last race you might have to extend the table of penalties on another 10 LY.
This could be a good race for my Python, as it has a range that would not receive penalties or bonuses, so:
Intent to race
CMDR Edelgard von Rhein
Open Unlimited
Python Beyond Twilight's Veil

"MacKenzie Relay, this is Sierra Whiskey Alpha Zero Zero One, requesting power feed for main reactor start. Over." Commander Inga Stevenson said, grinning at the woman in the copilot's seat of Slave of the Empire. Switching off the microphone on her headset, whispered, "Wait for it."

"Roger that, Sierra Whiskey Alpha. Power feed has been approved. Over."

Inga's chief of staff, Gyeong Castro, rolled her eyes at the older woman. "Main circuit is open and receiving power. Charging primary capacitors." She paused, looking up from holofac on her right. "They're late. I know it's been a while, but you'd think they would've said something by now. Capacitors are charged."

"Maybe they're asleep over there." Inga switched back on her headset. "MacKenzie Relay, this is Sierra Whiskey Alpha Zero Zero One. We are green on primary capacitors. Requesting a go for main reactor start. Over." Muting the microphone again, she returned the look of one of her closest friends. "Do you think he retired?"

"You should be so lucky..."

"Roger that, Sierra Whiskey Alpha. You are go for main reactor start. Over."

Gyeong's fingers danced across the controls on her chair. "Alright, here we go. Starting in three... two... one... ignition!" Behind and below them, there was a loud high pitched wail, which soon faded into the low rumble of the ancient Cobra Mark III's fusion reactor. Around the Slave's bridge, status displays came to life, and outside the view port, there was a brief shimmer as the ship's shields came online. Chief Castro looked at the system status report. "Reactor online. Engine online. FSD online. Distributor online. Shields online. All systems nominal. The Slave is ready to be moved from long term storage. This is going to be fun. It's been a while since you've been in a race."

"I know. I'm probably a bit rusty." Inga swiched her mic back on again. "MacKenzie Relay, this is Sierra Whiskey Alpha Zero Zero One. Requesting docking pad assignment for launch. Over."

"Roger that, Sierra Whiskey Alpha. You have been assigned docking pad Zero Four. You may launch when ready. Please be mindful of incoming traffic, and welcome back, Commander. MacKenzie Relay Out."

"I guess he's no longer working this shift," Inga said with a pout.

"Look at it this way. You get to prematurely grey the hairs of a whole new group of ATCs. That's always fun."

Slave of the Empire rose up into the docking bay of MacKenzie Relay, the elegant buildings and tall trees befitting a station that served one of the Crown Jewels of the Empire. Commander Inga Stevenson rolled her shoulders, placing her hands upon the stick and throttle attached to her chair. "You ready?"

Former crew chief, and now chief of staff, Gyeong Castro grinned back at her boss. "I'm ready! Let's do this!" The Cobra Mark III's thrusters forced her down and back into the seat, as the refitted ship hurtled towards the narrow opening to space.

"Be careful, Commander! There's other traffic... please make way for larger ships... ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL SOMEONE????"

At the back of MacKenzie Relay's Command and Control Center, Station Chief Carlos Passereau smiled at the Cobra Mark III that had just barely squeezed between the toaster rack and an incoming Beluga Liner. He raised his cup of tea in salute. "Welcome Back, Commander Stevenson. Things have certainly been too quiet with you who knows where."

Intent to Race:

Open Unlimited
Cobra Mark III
Slave of the Empire

Regulation Dolphin
Faster than Lightning

I'm assuming the stations can be visited in any order?

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Are Guardian FSD Boosters allowed?

I had not thought about them to be honest, I'm not sure how much benefit they give, or if it actually shows up on the outfitting screen the extra range they give? I will look first thing in the morning and see what the penalty for 65 and 70Ly would be.

I'm assuming the stations can be visited in any order?

Great write up as always! You can indeed visit them in any order (I've updated the OP to reflect that), but as the Regulation Dolphin only has 6t of cargo space you will need to visit Felkan as your last stop.

Another question: is the Regulation Dolphin missing a fuel scoop by design?

I'm asking because I don't think it has the range to return to Rebuy Prospect from Jack's Town on a single tank of fuel.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Another question: is the Regulation Dolphin missing a fuel scoop by design?

I'm asking because I don't think it has the range to return to Rebuy Prospect from Jack's Town on a single tank of fuel.

Oh my... No you're completely right, I pasted in the link to the build before I gave it a test run (I knew I'd make some mistakes sorry). Have updated the OP with the correct link.

Guardian FSD Boosters are not allowed! Having looked at it there's some funky combinations of routes you could do with a range over 70Ly and so as I had not factored them in from the start, I'll leave them out.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Intent to race.

Not sure I understand the equaliser, guess because units are not specified in the table - is it mins:secs or secs:fraction of secs?
mins:secs go for the 25 ly drive
secs:fractions go for highest jump

and is the penalty applied once, or per jump

I am a bit confused :rolleyes:

It is in mins:secs. I used the route planner in EDDiscovery to work out how many jumps it would take, on what I think is the optimum route, for the different jump ranges. So a 25Ly range would take you 28 jumps, 35Ly 22 jumps and 40Ly 18 jumps. So as a 40Ly range could do the course in 3 less jumps than 35Ly that's 3x 45 seconds, which is 2 minutes 15 seconds to be added to the end of your run.

I did 2 complete runs and timed how long each jump took me, all were between 42 and 45 seconds. Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer?

*Edit* slight miscalculation as it's 4 jumps not 3, so it's a 3 minute penalty :p

Last edited:
It is in mins:secs. I used the route planner in EDDiscovery to work out how many jumps it would take, on what I think is the optimum route, for the different jump ranges. So a 25Ly range would take you 28 jumps, 35Ly 22 jumps and 40Ly 18 jumps. So as a 40Ly range could do the course in 3 less jumps than 35Ly that's 3x 45 seconds, which is 2 minutes 15 seconds to be added to the end of your run.

I did 2 complete runs and timed how long each jump took me, all were between 42 and 45 seconds. Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer?

A lot clearer, thank you.

Isn't that 4 fewer jumps for the 40LY range and not 3, so the penalty should be 3 min not 2 min 15s?
You seem to jump faster than me - I am not able to do better than about 48s per jump even if I'm engaging the FSD the instant the cooldown is over, so technically that means I will still gain a little from using a ship with a longer range. I'll see how I do in my Python but maybe I'll switch to my Asp Explorer Orpheus that I ran in the Fram race later and compare...

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Isn't that 4 fewer jumps for the 40LY range and not 3, so the penalty should be 3 min not 2 min 15s?
You seem to jump faster than me - I am not able to do better than about 48s per jump even if I'm engaging the FSD the instant the cooldown is over, so technically that means I will still gain a little from using a ship with a longer range. I'll see how I do in my Python but maybe I'll switch to my Asp Explorer Orpheus that I ran in the Fram race later and compare...

Oh for goodness sake... :D I'm glad you're spotting my... deliberate... mistakes before the actual race starts [uhh] OP updated, I won't bother explaining how I made that mistake, but I know how, and it was the only one that was wrong.

Oh my... No you're completely right, I pasted in the link to the build before I gave it a test run (I knew I'd make some mistakes sorry). Have updated the OP with the correct link.

*checks link*

I have a 4A scoop on my Cobra, and I installed a 4D scoop on the Dolphin before I transferred it from MacKenzie Relay, just in case. I’ll have to check and see if I even own a 4B scoop. At least I know where to go if I need to buy one. :)

Oh for goodness sake... :D I'm glad you're spotting my... deliberate... mistakes before the actual race starts [uhh] OP updated, I won't bother explaining how I made that mistake, but I know how, and it was the only one that was wrong.

I am getting an extra jump for the 25ly

Unable to access regulation specs for the dolphin class.Also seeking clarification on final stop in this class.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I am getting an extra jump for the 25ly

In game or using EDDiscovery, it is possible you have a different route to the one I was using too. There was always likely to be variations as I was sure the avid route plotters would be able to outdo EDDiscovery even.

Unable to access regulation specs for the dolphin class.Also seeking clarification on final stop in this class.

Not sure why the link isn't working, but here:

Gfwe5fIl.jpg

The Dolphin only has 6t of cargo space. You need to take 5t of cargo from the start and drop it off one at a time as you visit the stations, so you won't have enough space to pick up the 5t of Water from Felkan until at least the penultimate Asteroid base, but given it's position it makes sense to leave it till last. Not that you have to, obviously.

If that's the clarification you were after?

Top Bottom