This April the Buckyball Racing Club celebrates the whimsical old tradition with a race between Poisson Orbital in the Kappa system and Poisson Enterprise in Trevakat. Racers must visit four fish-themed stations along the way, and can earn bonus time by carrying out various optional challenges.
|R||S||E||CMDR name||Forum name||Ship name||Ship type||Route||Challenges||Raced||Bonus||Total|
|1||1||Bruski||Bruski||Ecco||Dolphin||[size=-2]Kappa, Okinura, Rod, Liu Baja, Oitbi, Gorynich, Kathaima, Trevakat[/size]||[size=-2]So long, Thanks for all the fish (5m26s), Fly fishing, Turbot hour, Poisson d'avril[/size]||00:36:45||00:20:26||00:16:19|
|2||2||MostlyEvilKiwi||MostlyEvilKiwi||Regulation||Dolphin||[size=-2]Kappa, LTT 4461, Okinura, Rod, Wailladyan, Liu Baja, Kathaima, Trevakat[/size]||[size=-2]So long, Regulation Dolphin, Fish in a barrel (1m29s), Fly fishing, Turbot hour[/size]||00:35:43||00:18:49||00:16:54|
|3||3||t||Azzie Elbub||Ashnak||Lollipop||Dolphin||[size=-2]Trevakat, Pole, Ross 130, Okinura, Rod, Jambaraya, Gliese 4261, Shany, Kappa[/size]||[size=-2]So long, Fish in a barrel (1m15s), Fly fishing, Turbot hour[/size]||00:34:41||00:17:15||00:17:26|
|4||4||t||Alec Turner||Alec Turner||Champagne Charlie||Dolphin||[size=-2]Kappa, Okinura, Rod, Ross 130, Pole, Shany, Oitbi, Jambaraya, Trevakat[/size]||[size=-2]So long, Fish in a barrel (1m35s), Fly fishing, Turbot hour[/size]||00:35:52||00:17:35||00:18:17|
|5||1||t||Inodoro Pereyra||Onane||Tuna Can II||Asp Explorer||[size=-2]Trevakata, Pole, Ross 130, Okinura, Rod, Jambaraya, Gliese 4261, Shany, Kappa[/size]||[size=-2]Fish in a barrel (1m30s), Fly fishing, Turbot hour, Poisson d'avril[/size]||00:33:03||00:13:30||00:19:33|
|6||1||t||Milner||Milner||Maiden Voyage||Diamondback Explorer||[size=-2]Trevakat, Pole, Shany, Ross 130, Okinura, Rod, Jambaraya, Oitbi, Kappa[/size]||[size=-2]Fish in a barrel (1m31s), Fly fishing, Turbot hour[/size]||00:32:18||00:11:31||00:20:47|
|7||2||t||Raiko||Raiko||The Nomad||Asp Explorer||[size=-2]Kappa, Okinura, Ross 130, Rod, Jambaraya, Gliese 4261, Manidone, Trevakat[/size]||[size=-2]Fish in a barrel *18s), Fly fishing, Turbot hour[/size]||00:28:53||00:07:18||00:21:35|
|8||5||Edelgard von Rhein||Edelgard von Rhein||Whisper of Freedom||Dolphin||[size=-2]Kappa, Liu Baja, Oitbi, Gorynich, Kathaima, Trevakat[/size]||[size=-2]So long, Regulation Dolphin, Fish in a barrel (1m40s)[/size]||00:36:28||00:12:00||00:24:28|
|9||6||Stern Winter||Stern Winter||Frozen Flipper Filet||Dolphin||[size=-2]Kappa, HIP 46007, LTT 4461, Ross 130, Kathaima[/size]||[size=-2]So long, Regulation Dolphin, Fish in a barrel (1m40s)[/size]||00:44:40||00:12:00||00:32:40|
|10||7||Gunthar||Gunthar||CeN'est Pas Une Poissn||Dolphin||[size=-2]Kappa, HIP 46007, LTT 4461, Ross 130, Okinura, Rod, Kathaima, Trevakat[/size]||[size=-2]So long, Thanks for all the fish (5m47s), Regulation Dolphin, Fish in a barrel (1m5s), Fly fishing, Turbot hour, Poisson d'avril[/size]||01:16:58||00:25:12||00:51:46|
|11||8||t||Crotalus||crotalus||Delphinus||Dolphin||[size=-2]Trevakat, Hamlet's Harmony, Pole, Okinura, Rod, Manidone, Gliese 4261, Jambaraya, Ross 130, Kappa[/size]||[size=-2]So long, Thanks for all the fish (1m51s), Fish in a barrel (1m8s), Fly fishing, Turbot hour, Hypoplectrus space, Poisson d'avril[/size]||13:15:41||00:51:59||12:23:42|
[size=+2]RACE RULES AND REGULATIONS[/size]
- Start at either Poisson Orbital in Kappa or Poisson Enterprise in Trevakat.
- Visit - in any order - at least four of sixteen waypoint stations named after the bass, pike, ray and sturgeon fish.
- Optionally complete one or more of the challenges listed below to earn a time bonus.
- Finish the race by docking at either Poisson Enterprise or Poisson Orbital. You must not start and finish at the same station!
- Optionally fly the course in reverse!
The race runs from Saturday March 31st 3304 at 00:00:00 to Sunday April 8th at 23:59:59. Entries made wholly or in part outside this period will be rejected. All times are server time.
Only entries made in Open mode will be eligible for classification. Entries from Solo or Private Group mode will be added to the leaderboard as exhibition runs with their entry endorsed with an x notation. They will not receive an official position.
The race can be flown from the start line at Poisson Orbital in Kappa to the finish line at Poisson Enterprise in Trevakat. Alternatively it can be flown in reverse, with the start line being at Poisson Enterprise and the finish line being at Poisson Orbital.
To complete an entry, a competitor must dock at at least four of the waypoint stations listed below, in any order.
- Bass Dock in HIP 46007
- Bass Landing in Gliese 4261
- Bass Port in Wailladyan
- Bass Terminal in Oitbi
- Pike Landing in Kathaima
- Pike Landing in Shany
- Pike Terminal in HR 5716
- Pike Terminal in Manidone
- Ray Dock in Liu Baja
- Ray Port in Ross 130
- Ray Terminal in Kamchadal
- Ray Terminal in Uteran
- Sturgeon Dock in Jambaraya
- Sturgeon Landing in Avaticus
- Sturgeon Port in Gorynich
- Sturgeon Terminal in LTT 4461
Each waypoint station counts towards both sets of name requirements. For example, Bass Dock is both a Bass _ station and a _ Dock station.
It is permissible to visit more than four stations in order to check off all of the eight name requirements.
The following table summarises the available stations according to the two sets of names you must visit.
|Bass||HIP 46007||Gliese 4261||Wailladyan||Oitbi|
|Ray||Liu Baja||-||Ross 130||Kamchadal|
For example, a valid selection would be Bass Dock in HIP 46007, Ray Terminal in Kamchadal, Sturgeon Port in Gorynich and Pike Landing in Kathaima.
Racers can submit as many entries as they like within the race period. They are free to choose a different start and finish line for each entry, and to vary the choice of visited stations and attempted challenges.
Earn a time bonus by completing one or more challenges during a race entry. The benefits are cumulative so if you complete multiple challenges you can save more time. The time it takes you to race to the finish line will be reduced by the sum of all challenge bonuses to yield your final leaderboard time.
Earn a 6 minute bonus by competing in a Dolphin, Orca or Beluga. The bonus increases to 10 minutes 20 seconds if you fly this Regulation Dolphin build.
Thanks for all the fish
Earn bonus time by carrying fish in your cargo hold. The bonus available is calculated on a per-ship basis according to a scrupulously fair formula which takes into account each ship's maximum potential laden and unladen jump ranges as well as their maximum cargo capacity. The more fish you
You must leave the start station with an empty hold. You must visit each of the waypoint stations with at least one unit of fish in your hold and you must arrive at the finish station with at least one unit.
Your bonus will be assessed based on the lowest amount of fish you had at any waypoint, rounded down to the nearest second. Refer to the table below for the amount of bonus time awarded for each ton of fish you deliver.
For example, suppose you carried 24T of fish in a Cobra Mk III. The bonus factor for the Cobra Mk III is 6.5920 so you would earn 158 seconds for delivering the cargo.
You will forfeit all bonus time from this challenge if you arrive at any waypoint station or the finish station with no fish in your hold. Cargo other than fish does not count.
Expand to see the list of bonus time (in seconds) per ton of cargo for each ship type.
|Alliance Chieftain||3.2859||Imperial Courier||17.3518|
|Asp Explorer||1.8781||Imperial Cutter||1.0570|
|Asp Scout||4.8286||Imperial Eagle||28.8563|
|Cobra Mk III||6.5920||Orca||1.8571|
|Cobra Mk IV||6.9667||Panther Clipper||3.1415|
|Federal Assault Ship||5.1354||Type-9 Heavy||2.1316|
|Federal Corvette||2.2567||Type-10 Defender||1.1913|
|Federal Gunship||5.4407||Viper Mk IV||7.8414|
Fish in a barrel
Earn a bonus for flying without shields, armour or hull reinforcement packages, and without engineering your lightweight alloys, hand completing the whole course without repairing your ship. Each percentage point of hull remaining when you arrive at the finish line is worth a second, up to a maximum of 100 seconds, ie 1 minute 40 seconds. This bonus stacks with Regulation Dolphin.
Earn a 3 minute bonus by visiting either the Rod or Pole systems. The bonuses stack if you visit both systems.
Earn a 4 minute bonus by docking at Fisher Terminal in the Okinura system.
Earn a 30 minute bonus by visiting the Hamlet's Harmony system.
Earn a 2 minute bonus by causing a canister of fish to come into contact with another ship.
Complete all the challenges in one entry for a special bonus.
Except to comply with the requirements of the optional challenges listed above, there are no ship type or outfitting restrictions. You may outfit any module - including engineered modules - on any ship.
However the use of frameshift drive injection is not allowed.
[size=+2]HOW TO ENTER[/size]
See How to enter on the Buckyball Racing Club homepage for general details on entering the race.
Entries may be posted to this thread, sent by forum private message to furrycat or emailed to furrycat <symbol: commercial at> buckyballracing <symbol: dot> org <symbol: dot> uk.
Only entries made wholly within the period 3304-03-31 00:00:00 to 3304-04-08 23:59:59 server time will be accepted.
Only entries made in Open play will be eligible for the race leaderboard.
Entries must include:
- Your CMDR name.
- Your forum name if not the same as your CMDR name.
- Your ship type.
- Your ship name.
- Game mode (Open, Solo, Private Group).
- For Regulation Dolphin and Fish in a barrel: A screenshot of your ship outfitting showing your jump range and cargo capacity. For Fish in a barrel you should also show that you do not have shields, armour or reinforcement packages and you have not engineered your lightweight alloys.
- For Fish in a barrel: Screenshots of your credit balance at the start and end of the race, demonstrating that you did not spend money on repairs. If you don't have a fuel scoop, for instance because you are attempting Regulation Dolphin, you can include screenshots of station services after refueling, showing that the Repair All button remains unclicked. If you are also attempting Thanks for all the fish, a screenshot of your transaction at the commodities market will validate that a reduction in credit balance was due to buying fish, not repairs.
- A screenshot of your ship on the pad at either Poisson Orbital or Poisson Enterprise showing the station clock. The time shown will be your start time for the entry.
- For Thanks for all the fish: A screenshot of your empty cargo hold on the pad at the start line.
- A screenshot of your ship on the pad at each waypoint station.
- For Thanks for all the fish: A screenshot of your cargo hold on the pad at each waypoint.
- For Fly fishing and/or Hypoplectrus space: A screenshot proving you visited the challenge system(s), showing the clock. For example a screenshot of the galaxy map showing the navigation tab with your ship's jump range or of your ship's HUD showing the jump-in star.
- For Poisson d'avril: A screenshot demonstrating that you completed the challenge. For example a screenshot showing the canister in proximity to an other ship, or a zoomed-in radar showing that the canister and ship occupy the same space.
- For Turbot hour: A screenshot of your ship on the pad at Fisher Terminal.
- A screenshot of your ship on the pad at either Poisson Enterprise or Poisson Orbital showing the station clock. The time shown will be your finish time for the entry.
- For Thanks for all the fish: A screenshot of your cargo hold on the pad at the finish line.
Screenshots may be taken using the in-game screenshot function (F10 key) or your choice of third-party software. If you are recording a video of your entry you can submit snapshots of individual frames showing each checkpoint.
Alternatively you can submit a link to a video of your race entry. Video recording guides can be found at the links below:
Who can enter?
Anyone can enter! However some of the waypoint stations are planetary bases so you will need Horizons to visit them. You can choose a different route if you don't have it. The Beluga and Regulation Dolphin challenges also require Horizons so you won't be able to attempt them without Horizons.
What about console players?
Console players can enter as well.
Do I have to post an intent to race before competing?
Not if you don't want to. It's cool if you do, so other racers can look out for you on the course, but it's optional.
Are Engineer modifications allowed in this race?
Yes. For the Fish in a barrel challenge you must not engineer your bulkheads.
Is frameshift drive injection synthesis allowed in this race?
I refuse to play in Open
You are welcome to run the course in Private Group or Solo mode and submit an entry. Your attempt will appear on the leaderboard as an exhibition run and be excluded from ranking but you will still be able to compare your efforts to others'.
Just how "scrupulously fair" is the handicap system for the fish hauling challenge?
It should be reasonably fair. It is designed to be. Any real or perceived unfairness is due to an oversight or mistake on the part of the race organisers and not a deliberate attempt to favour any particular ship type. The bonus is calculated from an elaborate formula which is aimed at giving a bigger time bonus to the ships which lose the most jump range from carrying cargo.
The DBX gets the least bonus and the T9 the most so the system can't be all bad.
Where can I buy fish?
Anywhere. But you must buy the fish after undocking to start the race and before arriving at the first waypoint. You are allowed to visit challenge systems before buying the fish as long as you have it in your hold when you arrive at each of the Bass _, Pike _, Ray _ and Sturgeon _ stations.
Can I substitute rare goods / precious metals / some other cargo for fish?