Buckyball Racing Club presents: Real Men Race In Lederhosen

Before we get to the Leaderboard update for 05.09.3306, a public service announcement:

This link will lead you to a countdown. You have to start your last run before this countdown expires (06.09.2020, 23:59:59 UTC) https://www.timeanddate.com/countdo...eal+Men+Race+In+Lederhosen&font=cursive&csz=1

And now to back to our scheduled programming:
nRSpyQy.jpg

4 new entries, and each of them worth of a special mention.
In Watschentanz, new contestant CMDR Shattermage in his Hauler B E E R R U N enters immediately into second place, with a high tech run and a good time estimate. Especially considering that he only remembered to bring along some Kongga Ale 10 minutes before the shops close.
Everything else happened in Schickeria. CMDR NWSpacek submitted two runs, the first again improving the race time for his Python Oktoberfest In A Tin and giving the Bavariggan economy another boost with 184 tons of goods. Putting the experience from flying a heavy hauler to good use, he then switched to his DBX Flying Under The Influence in a bid for the top, and immediately joining the ranks of the sub-1-hour pilots, despite hauling another 18 tons of goods.
But the real surprise here is CMDR Jude McCullers. The first CMDR to join the competition on an XBox, and the first CMDR to race in a Sidewinder, he finished the course in True Love II with an excellent time estimate in 1 hour, 16 minutes and 30 seconds, delivering 12 tons of goods - and leaving the shields at home.

FdJOMaZ.jpg

Four (well, three) entries today.

The owner of this carrier was not convinced that I could go from Bavarigga to Rebuy Prospect to his carrier in 10 minutes, nor that the timing of the jump was critical. I was present in Fullerene C60 when he punched in the carrier's jump, went all the way back to Bavarigga to start the race, came back, and landed before lockdown. The 'my way or the highway' jump schedule resulted in this good time, but poor score.

Source: https://imgur.com/a/XB98GcH

Source: https://youtu.be/0XnpnQ5hMWE

Before we get to the Leaderboard update for 05.09.3306, a public service announcement:

This link will lead you to a countdown. You have to start your last run before this countdown expires (06.09.2020, 23:59:59 UTC) https://www.timeanddate.com/countdo...eal+Men+Race+In+Lederhosen&font=cursive&csz=1

And now to back to our scheduled programming:
nRSpyQy.jpg

4 new entries, and each of them worth of a special mention.
In Watschentanz, new contestant CMDR Shattermage in his Hauler B E E R R U N enters immediately into second place, with a high tech run and a good time estimate. Especially considering that he only remembered to bring along some Kongga Ale 10 minutes before the shops close.
Everything else happened in Schickeria. CMDR NWSpacek submitted two runs, the first again improving the race time for his Python Oktoberfest In A Tin and giving the Bavariggan economy another boost with 184 tons of goods. Putting the experience from flying a heavy hauler to good use, he then switched to his DBX Flying Under The Influence in a bid for the top, and immediately joining the ranks of the sub-1-hour pilots, despite hauling another 18 tons of goods.
But the real surprise here is CMDR Jude McCullers. The first CMDR to join the competition on an XBox, and the first CMDR to race in a Sidewinder, he finished the course in True Love II with an excellent time estimate in 1 hour, 16 minutes and 30 seconds, delivering 12 tons of goods - and leaving the shields at home.

FdJOMaZ.jpg
Uh oh ... I can feel a 59:10 (at the very least) coming on from NWSpacek and I'm probably not gonna have time to do anything about it today. Also, I'm fairly sure I saw Shaye Blackwood in Bavarriga yesterday ... fingers crossed he was just there to drink the beer and not to deliver it.

Last edited:
Only did one run in Shickeria, wanted to do a lot more including a few runs in Taxi class but circumstances conspired against me this week (and last week tbh). Plenty of mistakes made as well, starting with sitting in the hangar until I was going to launch instead of on the pad (which gave me a better time).

Getting nervous now.
Last night I also suffered a fairly hefty joystick mechanical failure. Been trying repair since as there are just none available to buy. So after completely dismantling it, heavy use of a dremel and much luck I have just plugged it in. Seems ok but time will tell.

With less than 7 hours to go, here is the penultimate Leaderboard update on 06.09.3306. The next update will likely be on Tuesday, and I will accept submissions until I start compiling the final leaderboard - but your runs must have started before the countdown finished.

sdhl1Wx.jpg

To summarize: it hasn't been a good day for CMDR NWSpacek.
In detail: In Space Taxi, his uber driver in command of the carrier Tenshir Neigua (LZL-4KX) declined to follow instructions regarding the jump schedule and ruined what could otherwise have been a very good run.
In Schickeria, a bad landing at one station made him miss the deadline by 9 seconds, necessitating the use of his cargo for emergency sedation and therefore, naturally, making it impossible to deliver the same cargo or recognizing this run. In the first of the remaining two runs, a slight miscalculation of the starting time prolonged the recognized time more than necessary. As for the remaining third run in Flying Under Influence - that one put him into first place, with a run time of 58 minutes and 59 seconds. For about 15 hours - or until CMDR Shaye Blackwood came along in his proven Asp Explorer Blackbird and claimed first place with a near perfectly timed run in 58 minutes and 49 seconds.

So right now, 6 and a half hours before the end of this race, the podium in Schickeria class is separated by 11 seconds, with CMDR Sulu in third place with the best raw elapsed time. Watschentanz and Wir Steigern Das Bruttosozialprodukt look pretty much settled in (but I've been known to be wrong more than once), but looking at the elapsed times in Space Taxi, there still is a lot of room for improving that first place.

kUUxtrO.png

As for space taxi..44 minutes is highly doable..sadly I do not have the time I suspect with a following wind 35 is possible.

Lined up a run in the Asp for edit the last available jump-off time /edit before 23:00:00.... got interdicted on the way to Rebuy, with no cargo. Fine, I suppose. Turned around and headed back to the start.. got interdicted again on the way there lol. Hopefully that's my quota for today! Launching again in a bit

Last edited:
Ummmm.. got interdicted about 1.2Mm outside of Rebuy..... literally when you're hovering over the disengage button.. smh. Back to the start, jumping off in a bit

<edit>this run is not going to threaten the leaderboards, in case anyone was wondering lol</edit>

Commander: Jude McCullers Ship: The Black Goose Type: Asp Explorer Class: Schickeria Race Time: 1:36:20

Interdictions notwithstanding, pilot error in not pressing the "yes, refuel me please" button in a sufficiently authoritative (or timely) manner at one station meant I had to do an out-and-back at one point along the way, nevertheless I think the target was about right and in any case lined up nicely with a "10 minutes faster or gtfo" challenge :D

Hopefully these two clips from the last day of racing will tide everyone over until the final announcement:

I met a race fan doing laps in Open:
Source: https://youtu.be/fBY8LRPj0ss

I had a very bad no good terrible docking attempt:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwOB3bvKRBI

Unfortunately neither of these runs succeeded in making their mark, but that's what the challenge is all about: are you really as good as you think you are?

Last edited:
What a race. Oh man I thought I was gonna cause a storm...and I nearly did. I will take heart in the speed that I actually got round and absolutely roll over with laughter on the fact that I lost on administration rather than speed. This is a first for me. If only I declared 58:20 instead of 59:00. On the plus I am better than I thought (a little bit). It has been a blast Ashnak..and genuinely well done to those winners. This was a much harder race than it appeared on paper. Oh and for the record my last attempt was going well for a declared 58:00 until I got a T9 in my face. An essentially paper DBX at 510 m/s and a T9 at 99 m/s equals No DBX. And I got jailed for it to boot. This is Buckyball.

Last edited:
Top Bottom