Buckyball Racing Club presents: Real Men Race In Lederhosen

The party is over!

d38UlcK.png

This will be the final leaderboard update for "Real Men Race In Lederhosen". But before we get to the interesting part (i.e., the actual final Leaderboard and the winners of the raffle), let me continue in the tradition of all such things and start with the boring stuff.

In August 3306, the people of Bavarigga were in the immediate danger of running out of beer. Not the cheap stuff you can buy at every agricultural station all over the bubble, but real beer. And so, the Buckyball Racing Club rose once again to the challenge: bring at least one of each of a number of rare beers and associated stuff to Bavarigga:
  • Gerasian Geuze Beer from Yurchikhin Port in Geras
  • Kongga Ale from Laplace Ring in Kongga
  • Buckyball Beer Mats from Rebuy Prospect in Fullerene C60
  • Kachirigin Filter Leeches from Nowak Orbital in Kachirigin
  • HR 7221 Wheat from Veron City in HR 7221
  • Wuthielo Ku Froth from Tarter Dock in Wuthielo Ku
Use a cheap ship and show you're a real man in the Watschentanz class (flying a basic Hauler), become a true working class hero in the Wir Steigern Das Bruttosozialprodukt class (bring your own ship - but no engineering or similar baloney), let your bling glitter in the Schickeria class (anything goes, as long as it impresses the neighbours) or use a chauffeur in the Space Taxi class (fly with style in a carrier).
12 pilots from all over the Galaxy accepted this challenge. During the 9 days of the race, they performed 44 timed runs (and left the remenants of countless unsubmitted runs littering the stations along the course), delivering 1328 tons of beer and associated goodies to the small port of Shaver Stop in Bavarigga. They evaded pirate interdictions as well as military inspections, put a lot of new dents into old landing pads, made some very fast spaceport mechanics very rich and tried to bribe carrier owners into scheduling precise jumps. Sometimes, though, just to despair on a special property of Bavariggan time-keeping: in order to prove that they are indeed as good as they think they are, these pilots had to schedule their start times so that they arrived - as close as possible - before the clock struck the half hour. Drop in a couple of seconds too late, and you're lumped in with the next batch, effectively being burdened with a 30 minute penalty for over-confidence. And even so, the first three places in Schickeria class were separated by 10 seconds each.
The effect on the small system of Bavarigga were profound. The leading faction was pushed into boom - and is now facing a hangover for which the word "epic" may be justly applied. When asked for a comment, Senator Miller from the Bavariggan council stated: "Sure, let's do this again. Just... maybe... not within the next year."
I guess you could say that their thirst has been throughly slaked - for now, at least.

NK5J8PR.png

Enough of the talk - let's get to the point all of you have been waiting for: the final Leaderboard. All the times, all the embarassment and all the prizes. As promised, the leaders in each class (with the exception of Space Taxi, as this class didn't reach the required minimum of three entries) will receive a genuine Buckyball Racing Club coaster. Unfortunately for the rest of you, CMDR NWSpacek managed to take the lead in each and every class except Space Taxi. With a daring run in Schickeria, he managed to snatch victory from CMDR Shaye Blackwood during the last few hours of the race. To be fair, he is also probably singlehandedly responsible for Bavarigga's economic boom and a few of the more embarassing failures in estimating his run time.
A mere 10 seconds later, CMDR Shaye Blackwood takes second place in Schickeria, followed by CMDR Sulu a further eleven seconds later and CMDR Alec Turner again 20 seconds later on fourth place.
A special mention goes out to CMDR Jude McCullers, who managed to run the course in his Sidewinder True Love II and was able, by omitting everything else, to deliver 12 tons of cargo.
Check the rest out for yourselves - you all did a great job on this race and yes, you really are as good as you think you are.

62uVl0J.jpg

The green lines denote the winners of the raffle - determined by a set of random numbers from random.org from all valid submissions, minus the first places in each class.

AxtxcAJ.jpg

Fly fast, CMDRs!

Last edited:
The party is over!

d38UlcK.png

This will be the final leaderboard update for "Real Men Race In Lederhosen". But before we get to the interesting part (i.e., the actual final Leaderboard and the winners of the raffle), let me continue in the tradition of all such things and start with the boring stuff.

In August 3306, the people of Bavarigga were in the immediate danger of running out of beer. Not the cheap stuff you can buy at every agricultural station all over the bubble, but real beer. And so, the Buckyball Racing Club rose once again to the challenge: bring at least one of each of a number of rare beers and associated stuff to Bavarigga:
  • Gerasian Geuze Beer from Yurchikhin Port in Geras
  • Kongga Ale from Laplace Ring in Kongga
  • Buckyball Beer Mats from Rebuy Prospect in Fullerene C60
  • Kachirigin Filter Leeches from Nowak Orbital in Kachirigin
  • HR 7221 Wheat from Veron City in HR 7221
  • Wuthielo Ku Froth from Tarter Dock in Wuthielo Ku
Use a cheap ship and show you're a real man in the Watschentanz class (flying a basic Hauler), become a true working class hero in the Wir Steigern Das Bruttosozialprodukt class (bring your own ship - but no engineering or similar baloney), let your bling glitter in the Schickeria class (anything goes, as long as it impresses the neighbours) or use a chauffeur in the Space Taxi class (fly with style in a carrier).
12 pilots from all over the Galaxy accepted this challenge. During the 9 days of the race, they performed 44 timed runs (and left the remenants of countless unsubmitted runs littering the stations along the course), delivering 1328 tons of beer and associated goodies to the small port of Shaver Stop in Bavarigga. They evaded pirate interdictions as well as military inspections, put a lot of new dents into old landing pads, made some very fast spaceport mechanics very rich and tried to bribe carrier owners into scheduling precise jumps. Sometimes, though, just to despair on a special property of Bavariggan time-keeping: in order to prove that they are indeed as good as they think they are, these pilots had to schedule their start times so that they arrived - as close as possible - before the clock struck the half hour. Drop in a couple of seconds too late, and you're lumped in with the next batch, effectively being burdened with a 30 minute penalty for over-confidence. And even so, the first three places in Schickeria class were separated by 10 seconds each.
The effect on the small system of Bavarigga were profound. The leading faction was pushed into boom - and is now facing a hangover for which the word "epic" may be justly applied. When asked for a comment, Senator Miller from the Bavariggan council stated: "Sure, let's do this again. Just... maybe... not within the next year."
I guess you could say that their thirst has been throughly slaked - for now, at least.

NK5J8PR.png

Enough of the talk - let's get to the point all of you have been waiting for: the final Leaderboard. All the times, all the embarassment and all the prizes. As promised, the leaders in each class (with the exception of Space Taxi, as this class didn't reach the required minimum of three entries) will receive a genuine Buckyball Racing Club coaster. Unfortunately for the rest of you, CMDR NWSpacek managed to take the lead in each and every class except Space Taxi. With a daring run in Schickeria, he managed to snatch victory from CMDR Shaye Blackwood during the last few hours of the race. To be fair, he is also probably singlehandedly responsible for Bavarigga's economic boom and a few of the more embarassing failures in estimating his run time.
A mere 10 seconds later, CMDR Shaye Blackwood takes second place in Schickeria, followed by CMDR Sulu a further eleven seconds later and CMDR Alec Turner again 20 seconds later on fourth place.
A special mention goes out to CMDR Jude McCullers, who managed to run the course in his Sidewinder True Love II and was able, by omitting everything else, to deliver 12 tons of cargo.
Check the rest out for yourselves - you all did a great job on this race and yes, you really are as good as you think you are.

62uVl0J.jpg

The green lines denote the winners of the raffle - determined by a set of random numbers from random.org from all valid submissions, minus the first places in each class.

AxtxcAJ.jpg

Fly fast, CMDRs!
And the award for best race roundup goes to ... Ashnak. Brilliant stuff sir, we shall have to get you to host more races in the future! And I think (as if he hasn't already won enough) we should give a special "most enthusiastic newcomer" award to NWSpacek who probably spent more hours racing this week than most of us have managed this year. o7 and fly fast!

What an event! This was my first Buckyball Racing Club event, and first time racing in Elite in general. I'm sure most will agree that what I lacked in pure skill I made up for in raw tenacity - it's safe to say I've flown to Yurchikhin Port at least 40 times during and in preparation for the event. Enough entries to annoy the judges into giving me first place in three classes, but not enough to steal away the magnets too ✈

To capture the evidence, I recorded full runs and clipped the screenshots - that's why I've had clips to accompany most of my daily recap posts. Below are the builds and full runs of my three winning entries, with chapters for each run segment so you can skip directly to the bests parts.

Source: https://youtu.be/YkPD2AjdgnM

The regulation hauler build, with a snappy orange paint job, performed this run:

Source: https://youtu.be/vUr_UWrq2n8

Yes, it's true, I had a 3A powerplant and 4E thrusters on this winning run. I tried to rectify this with a 2A powerplant and 4A thrusters, but I was too overconfident. This ship stands as the winning ship:

Source: https://youtu.be/7Yzrus6ChZg

I opted for 4D thrusters G3 Dirty Drag Drive for weight savings instead of 4A thrusters like most people. The weight savings meant nothing in this race, other than I was slower in normal space than Sulu's Crimson Haybaler and probably a number of other Buckyballers, but I stuck to my thrusters and toured it all over the bubble:

And, because I put way too much effort into this joke:
Source: https://youtu.be/v7VEYjs4ZTY

This ship started as an addendum to the joke of flying a Type-7 in this race, necessary because Type-7 requires a large landing pad. In the end, the joke of hauling as much cargo as possible in a python outgrew the joke of getting as much cargo as possible in a Type-7, and the Type-7 was dropped. Originally, this ship used A-rated life support that was disabled, necessitating a life support synth during Geras supercruise. By this run, I had replaced it with D-rated life support and suffered through the overheating. I ran this ship backwards compared to my other runs because the biggest suppliers - 60 tons in Geras and 57 tons in Fullerene C60 - would have been at the front and I would have to tote them all over the bubble.

Is there any analysis to be performed on winning entries? They're by no means the fastest entries in their class (except the winning Schickeria entry) but they are fast.

I had a ton of fun flying in this event, and during Geras supercruise I had a nice time making dinner, cleaning the house, and taking walks. When's the next one?

Last edited:
Many thanks to Ashnak for staging such an interesting race and congratulations to NWSpacek for your fine wins! o7
It was a bit of a shame that all the cargo was legal at all of the stations... ;)
Well done to everyone who took part! See you around the galaxy :)
(Just the right icon for the Hangover state, btw!)

Thanks for running a brilliant race @Ashnak - although I only submitted a single run I did have quite a few goes at this (not quite as many as @NWSpacek) lots more than I expected when I saw that Geras was one of the waypoints. :)

Making us challenge ourselves with the Barvarian clock was the act of an evil genius, and made the time-to-go timer during the long deceleration in Geras all the more frustrating! I loved it. :cool:

Congratulations to everyone who took part, especially NWSpacek - what a way to start Buckyball Racing, you're definitely mad enough to be one of us - o7 Cmdr!

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I am sorry I didn't get to do more runs of this than I tried, but things conspired against it. A big belated thanks to Ashnak for running a good and interesting race. Even if the E rated hauler and 20 odd minute SC journey was a little on the excessive side ;) there were a lot of great things about it. Another race to push the boundaries of "normal" racing :D

Which is quite poetic as we had that very discussion on Rootsrat's 24hr charity stream, because I wanted to get across to people that we have a lot more depth than just A > B racing. I think the BRC manages to strike that balance very well.

Congratulations to (both ;) ) the winners and to Ashnak for putting on the race.
giphy.gif

Top Bottom