Buckyball Racing Club is pleased to welcome racers new and old to its very first team event! Teams of three are invited to wing up and show their racing prowess in a relay race round a short lap. The course will take racers to the second star of each system; but don't worry, the longest supercruise distance is still less than 400 light-seconds.
The start/finish line is at Gardner Ring in Katukilal. The course runs from Gardner Ring to Yu Orbital in Damnon, then Silverberg Orbital in En Kungu, and back to Gardner Ring; or in reverse (Katukilal -> En Kungu -> Damnon -> Katukilal).
Second Star Relay is a relay race for wings of three. Each member of the relay team in turn must complete a lap of the course, recording their times in the normal way (screenshots of start, finish and intermediate waypoints). The start time for racer 2 must not be earlier than the end time for racer 1; the start time for racer 3 must not be earlier than the end time for racer 2. Overall time recorded for the wing will be from the start of racer 1's lap to the end of racer 3's lap.
If you're having any trouble finding wingmates to form a team, the normal place to look is the bar nearest the finish line in Gardner Ring. Strike up a conversation in the bar (either here in this thread, or on the Buckyball Racing Club Discord channel) and you should find some wingmates. If that really doesn't work, drop the organiser a line (PM to drakhyr either here or on Discord, or email drakhyr <at> buckyballracing <dot> org <dot> uk) and I'll make sure to hook you up with some wingmates at a suitable time.
Entries will be accepted in two race classes:
Open: Racing takes place in the main Elite Dangerous universe. FSD injection is NOT permitted. Enhanced thrusters and (engineer-)modified modules are not available.
Beta Unlimited: Racing takes place in the Beta universe (2.1 / 1.6). FSD injection, enhanced thrusters and engineer-modified modules are all allowed. Enjoy!
- Participating wings may contain no more than one of the following commanders: Aken B., Alot, Cookiebot, Cookiehole, furrycat.
- Evidence screenshots must be submitted for each racer in a wing (bundling the evidence for all three racers together is preferable, but it's OK if you submit separately)
- Evidence screenshots required are:
- Start at Gardner Ring, Katukilal
- 2 x Intermediate waypoints at Yu Orbital, Damnon system, and Silverberg Orbital, En Kungu system
- Finish at Gardner Ring, Katukilal
- Evidence screenshots must be on docking pads at each station so that they show location and time
- Video recording may be submitted instead of evidence screenshots, providing the video includes frames showing the required screenshot information
- Laps may be run in either direction (Katukilal -> Damnon -> En Kungu -> Katukilal or Katukilal -> En Kungu -> Damnon -> Katukilal) but all racers in a wing must complete the lap in the same direction
- The start time for each racer (as evidenced by screenshot or video) must not be earlier than the finish time for the preceding racer
- Recorded time for each wing will be from the start of the first racer to the finish of the third racer
- The use of wing functionality (wing beacons, navlock, etc) is permitted and encouraged
- Permitted uses of wing functionality include those coming from a fourth wing member
- Entries must start before 23:59:59 GMT on Saturday 21st May, and be submitted by 08:00 GMT on Sunday 22nd May.
- Any ship may be used (the waypoints are all starports, so large landing pads are available and the open class is available to racers without Horizons)
- Get to Gardner Ring in Katukilal, and form a wing with two wingmates.
- Make repairs, fill with fuel, and ensure your ships are outfitted to exactly how you want for the race.
- Racer 1 return to the surface and prepare for launch.
- Racer 1 take a screenshot (normally F10), or start video capture, showing start location and time
- Racer 1 call at each intermediate waypoint, taking a screenshot on the landing pad showing location and time
- Yu Orbital in Damnon
- Silverberg Orbital in En Kungu
- Racer 1 returns to Gardner Ring in Katukilal, taking a screenshot on arrival
- Racer 2 takes screenshot and launch - the time on racer 2's starting screenshot must not be earlier than that on racer 1's finishing screenshot
- Racer 2 repeats steps 4-6
- Racer 3 repeats steps 7 and 4-6
- Send a PM to me (drakhyr), or email drakhyr <at> buckyballracing <dot> org <dot> uk, with the following:
- Names of each commander in the team
- Forum names for each commander if different from commander names
- Ship names and ship turns for each member of the team
- Race time
- Either a link to your screenshots, or a link to your video. If submitting as screenshots there should be 12 in total: each of the 3 racers should have a start from Gardner Ring, 2 x intermediate waypoints and finish at Gardner Ring.