Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Second Star Relay (17-21 May)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Team Beta! Who's with me?

Should really have read the OP a bit better to see that there was a chance I could compete in this. I can join Team Beta, I need to get myself a better ship as the only tuned up one I have is a Viper Mk III and I don't think it's jump range will be enough. I should be able to get on tonight at some point, thought I probably have to nip out for a while and over the next few days. So if Seneh is still up for it then we could try and get a team together.

Not 100% sure if I can make it for this race, I do want to, but my playtime is too unreliable to commit to team-play during the week.

If a couple of you are only available during the final couple of hours on Saturday evening (or you're just struggling to find a last teammate), then I'll do my normal thing of turning up totally unprepared for an eleventh hour run. :D

Brilliant!

had some fun on that. very nerve racking trying to get everything right. no instanceing issues, but we did have numerous other small problems (one crash, one possible early change over, a broken hyperspace key that needed rebinding and two obscured targets - oh and i forgot one screenie!), not least my forgetfulness (goes and updates shadowplay - again)

thanks drak for organising and cookie for the planning

Last edited:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

In theory Team Beta is formed with Kligg*, Ozric and myself. In practice we failed to get together for practice and I'll be out delivering hoodies this evening. Maybe tomorrow if no one gets bored and joins another team.

I'm not enjoying this one as much as i would like to. and the reasons for that are you are forcing me to be sociable. which is well out of order. ;) its not been a good few weeks for buckyballing in my book..

Last edited:
I'm not enjoying this one as much as i would like to. and the reasons for that are you are forcing me to be sociable. which is well out of order. ;) its not been a good few weeks for buckyballing in my book..

Tell me about it. I've got to have a pint with furrycat tonight when I should be hunched over in the dark somewhere watching Sandro's Q&A livestream ;):p[haha]

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

In theory Team Beta is formed with Kligg*, Ozric and myself. In practice we failed to get together for practice and I'll be out delivering hoodies this evening. Maybe tomorrow if no one gets bored and joins another team.

Well I'm out tonight too, but I'll be around tomorrow evening (from around 7) and Saturday. Who needs practice :D

Well I do as I'm sure the first time I try and fly a souped up ship into a station, it's going to be... interesting.

I love the idea of this event, but I think teams of 3 is too big given the limited number of regulars available during such a small time frame. That's further complicated by having 4 of those regulars be designated as "team leads" and there literally may not be enough others around for each to put a team together.

And finally, timezone and other availability coordinations takes considerable effort for which there isn't enough time...I feel a little like the last kid on the playground bench. I spent a few hours putting multiple ships together in both live and beta so I could be a flexible team member...and I'm not even going to get a run in.

Given the lack of entries so far, I might change to rules to allow wings of 2 to have a go - though that does mean a team probably doesn't have enough members to easily support wing beacons at every stop. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Given the lack of entries so far, I might change to rules to allow wings of 2 to have a go - though that does mean a team probably doesn't have enough members to easily support wing beacons at evety stop. Thoughts?
how about go totally crazy and do 3 leaderboards... team of 3, team of 2, team of one. ;)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Well I've got an Eagle quite nicely souped up to give that a go 480ms/s Boost speed, which to be fair by comparison seems quite slow now ;) I really should have checked the route first though as there's no way an Eagle's going to cut it on this course :( I've got to go out for half hour or so but then I'll be back in and aiming to get a better ship.

No one around this evening on the live servers :( . I was getting horrible lag, anyway, so I'm not sure I would have done a good job - my trial runs involved numerous fluffed sc approaches. On the plus side, I've left a ship on site ready to go and, whilst waiting to see if anyone turned up, I stopped by HIP 67921 and did some exploring (just over 20LY away so I could get back in one jump and sell the data): it turns out there are two Ammonia Worlds in the system! I have only rarely encountered this elsewhere whilst exploring well outside the bubble, so it was quite a surprise to find two in an inhabited system.

I probably won't be able to do any further attempts as I don't have enough time tomorrow :(
Sorry to Edelgard and Lightspeed that we couldn't really get a complete and valid run in, at least it has been great fun racing with you!
I really like the concept as it is, but it would probably need to run over a longer time (maybe including two weekends) so that there are more opportunities to get a run in.
I guess that will be my first real DNF...
But when you can get around the scheduling problems, team racing is awesome! :)

In the interests of trying to encourage a few entries to make sure the concept gets a bit of a test:

I will be hanging around near Gardner Ring from about 1700 - 2200 GMT tonight, seeking to get wings together with whoever is around.
I also have a plan in mind of how a wing of three can effectively be using wing beacons at every stop which I will publish before then.

Top Bottom