Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Seven Sisters Speedway. 13-Jul-3305 to 21-Jul-3305

Then you have my respect Sir. Orcas have always been highly regarded in Buckyball races historically. They win in a class of their own, for the simple fact of being Orcas. :)

Nice plug for the race courtesy of the ever wonderful Buur Pit ...

HERE
(for some reason I just can not get this to work as an embedded forum video)

Gah, even that doesn't work. No idea why. Search in youtube for VYJroJU1-

Edit: oh, and Rheeney already posted it ... I'll go back to bed I think.

Last edited:
A Homage to
Buckyball racing….

The pilot sat there in his cabin, the cockpit lights gently glowing all around. He appeared calm and relaxed without a single sign of what he was about to do.

The ship, an imperial courier appeared almost normal except for some interesting body modifications. This however was not the case. It was a Buckyball special. Millions of credits and hundreds of hours had transformed the already quick ship into a powerhouse of speed and handling. Much of the detailed work was done by the very secretive engineers and their almost magical touches. No part of the ship was in fact stock or even close. It was dedicated to the task without any compromise for comfort or luxury.

The pilot watched his clock tick down to his designated launch time. A smile gently crossed his face as he lifted up in line with the letterbox. He rammed the throttles open, even the inertial dampening could not fully compensate for the acceleration.

The computer called out from the space station "warning, keep below 100 m/s" The pilot, now with a full grin on his face as he hit 300..400...500..600..700..he was fully committed now, stopping would be impossible. 800...850...and he was out in space already lining up for his first jump. The only time he ever showed expression was during take off and landing. Nothing else came close to the sheer joy of high-speed manoeuvres.

Now the race could begin.

This is how Buckyball racers live every single time they race. There is no holding back, no finesse, no local regulations for them. The race is all!

The first jump over, the ship is skimming fuel, the speed is high and climbing. The temperature warning alarm is at 150%. To the semi insane racer this means he is trying hard enough. Not quite enough to break the ship, but enough that no one would ever buy it used. The fuel gauge climbs to ⅔ full so the pilot pulls out of the stars gravity well heading towards the first landing point. At no point does he consider the life of the equipment or the damage taking place as the g forces climb along with the heat.

Meanwhile a fellow buckyballer has winged up and they begin to feed off each other, his Diamondback vastly different to the Courier, but just as modified. Both taking more and more risks just to save one or two seconds. The ships buck and scream, taking damage all the time. The buckyballer is satisfied as his ship slowly cracks under extreme conditions. This he thinks is how it should be. If he ended the race with no bits missing, he would be laughed out of the bar for being "soft".

The two ships blast towards the station, coming out of supercruise at full throttle and almost together. They both hit the slots at over 500 m/s, their landing gear extends as they line up for touchdown at an insane 250 m/s, both depending upon the landing pads buffer fields to reduce the impact. This is why they were built by the engineers, otherwise they would explode on impact. Both ships enter the hanger and within seconds they reappear and without warning the engines flare into full power. The launch begins again!

So the cycle continues until the race ends or the ships explode.

After the race the surviving pilots pay their fines and fix their ships. They talk in the bar and figure out how to go faster and faster. They salute the fallen pilots. They all expect to go this way sooner or later. It’s the Buckyball way!

At the end of the race these reclusive (and likely insane) pilots disappear into the galactic night, only to reappear when a new race is declared.

Buckyball Racing Club
Commander Ikaru Sulu

BBRC

Last edited:
A Homage to Buckyball Racers….

The pilot sat there in his cabin, the cockpit lights gently glowing all around. He appeared calm and relaxed without a single sign of what he was about to do.
The ship, an imperial courier appeared almost normal except for some interesting body modifications. This however was not the case. It was a Buckyball special. Millions of credits and hundreds of hours had transformed the already quick ship into a powerhouse of speed and handling. Much of the detailed work was done by the very secretive engineers and their almost magical touches. No part of the ship was in fact stock or even close. It was dedicated to the task without any compromise for comfort or luxury.
The pilot watched his clock tick down to his designated launch time. A smile gently crossed his face as he lifted up in line with the letterbox. He rammed the throttles open, even the inertial dampening could not fully compensate for the acceleration.
The computer called out from the space station "warning, keep below 100 m/s" The pilot, now with a full grin on his face as he hit 300..400...500..600..700..he was fully committed now, stopping would be impossible. 800...850...and he was out in space already lining up for his first jump. The only time he ever showed expression was during take off and landing. Nothing else came close to the sheer joy of high speed manoeuvres.
Now the race could begin.
This is how Buckyball racers live every single time they race. There is no holding back, no finesse, no local regulations for them. The race is all!
The first jump over..the ship is skimming fuel, the speed is high and climbing. The temperature warning alarm is at 150%. To the semi insane racer this means he is trying hard enough. Not quite enough to break the ship, but enough that no one would ever buy it used. The fuel gauge climbs to ⅔ full so the pilot pulls out of the stars gravity well heading towards the first landing point. At no point does he consider the life of the equipment or the damage taking place as the g forces climb along with the heat.
Meanwhile a fellow racer has winged up and they begin to feed off each other, taking more and more risks just to save one or two seconds. The ships buck and scream, taking damage all the time. The pilot is satisfied as his ship slowly cracks under extreme conditions. This he thinks is how it should be. If he ended the race with no bits missing he would be laughed out of the bar for being "soft".
The two ships blast towards the station, coming out of supercruise at full throttle and almost together. They both hit the slots at over 400 m/s, their landing gear extends as they line up for touchdown at an insane 250 m/s, both depending upon the landing pads buffer fields to reduce the impact. This is why they were built by the engineers, otherwise they would explode on impact. Both ships enter the hanger and within seconds they reappear and without warning the engines flare into full power.
And so the cycle continues until the race ends or the ships explode.
After the race the surviving pilots pay their fines and fix their ships. They talk in the bar and figure out how to go faster and faster. They salute the fallen pilots. They all expect to go this way sooner or later. It’s the Buckyball way!

At the end of the race these reclusive (and probably insane) pilots disappear into the galactic night, only to reappear when a new race is declared.

Buckyball Racing Club
Commander Ikaru Sulu

BBRC
Holy hell - that sir is magnificent.

Have I missed something, is it galactic Buckyball poetry day or something?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/buckyball-racing-club.193467/page-130#post-7888864

I've got a bit of a journey back home to take part in this (out in The Void), so I might not have time to swap ships and try new things. I have the DBS that I ran in the Pleiades Hip Hop (though it lost out in that race to the Cobra MkIII that is my entry on the leaderboard) that has been engineered but I'm not sure what state it's in so if I'm short on time I'll race in the AspX I'm flying at the moment.
Intent to race!
Good job getting another BRC race set up, Raiko! o7

I've posted the rules now.

I'll tidy up the formatting this evening when I'm at home. :)

The main course is straightforward. Just get within 250m of the listening post for your screenshot, or during the video recording.

Kamikaze cup is a bit mad, video evidence strongly advised. Take care because repairs are banned during Kamikaze runs (of course!).

Note that there are two listening posts close by in Merope. I'll add a couple of images to the OP later to show which one (it's the one closely orbiting Merope-1B)

I'll also add "how to submit evidence" tonight, I'm not sure if I've time to do a google form or not yet.

Beginning some preliminary test flights in a heavily modded asp...The Sports Asp rides again!...it has the necessary jump and fuel to make a difference. I have faster ships, but not with this sort of range (66ly) and 450 ly without refuel. Will run it around tonight and then go away and think about it some more.

Tested Sports Asp against Celeste..with odd results. While Asp has 15ly better jump it gains only one jump in entire route. Courier needs to collect fuel at final stage but can easily skim enough to make the six jumps without major loss.
Now the nitty gritty..Courier is twice as strong as the Asp and is(politely coughs) 330 m/s quicker..yes quicker..560 vs 890.

I will need to do speed runs in both to gauge difference in real racing though.

Will be a busy weekend lol.

Good luck all!

Oh for the record I put Asp through tunnel at 550 m/s..only half the hull came out the other side!!!!

Top Bottom