Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Sidewinder Fuel Finder

Hey thanks for including my dumpsterfire run in the leader boards! That note is the perfect elevator pitch for that run. This was also my first time doing something with the community and I really enjoyed it.
Thanks for taking part!

If you feel up for it we gladly hear what actually happened!

For folks who enjoyed this event and are interested in taking part in the next Buckyball Race (currently scheduled to take place at the end of January or start of February) there are a few places you can keep an eye on to make sure you're notified when the race is announced.

Our official website will have a link to the race in the week leading up to its start (and you can also check the upcoming events calendar).

We'll post a message about the race to ping @everyone in the #announcements channel of the Buckyball Discord server.

I'll announce the race in my Best of Forum thread.

I'll typically post a link here in this race's forum thread linking it to the events thread for the next race (although I confess I forgot to link here from the last of 3306's races).

I'll change my forum signature to point at the new race's forum thread.

We'll also try to get shoutouts for the race on regular podcasts like Lave Radio, Elite Week, Loose Screws, etc as well as posting about it in several Elite Dangerous facebook groups and on Twitter.

With luck Jack Shaftoe will get the race added to his excellent Elite Dangerous Google Calendar.

Hopefully Frontier will pick up on the race and give it some shoutouts on their Supercruise News livestreams and maybe even in their news letter.

So subscribe to the appropriate information sources and maybe we'll see you for the next one!

And lastly, congratulations to the winners and thanks again to Hojo for organising.

I guess I can add some more details here than I did in the READ ME file I left Hojothefool

Like I said earlier this is the first time I've done anything like this and I'm pretty new to the game. I also took a small break from the game as I usually do when I clock around 150h on any game.

I got to Artemis lodge without any problems (after all I do have a DBX half set for exploring) and I'm like "cool this cant be that hard I'll have time for a single run just for the lols". As I was going for Ngalia I was fumbling around with the controls and remembering how this game worked ON ROUTE. I also didn't know how search for systems with stations in them so I every time I would get about halfway through my fueltank I would check EDDB.io for the nearest system with a station in it. However I misjudged the distance and was left a couple of jumps away from 42 N Persei with enough fuel to wait for the Fuel Rats without leaving the game. This is the first time I've had to call the Fuel Rats ever. So I was resqued by the two wonderful rats CMDR Menchi and CMDR FluffyMcCuddles who also told me how to use the Galmap to find systems with stations in them.
So after that new experience for me I went back to Artemis to start my second attempt.

As I took of I decided that it would be a great idea to boost though the mailslot with my UNSHIELDED Sidewinder. I'm not a
great pilot so I crashed 5m from the mailslot leaving my poor ship at 4%. I decided to push through to the first pit stop
and then repair the White Crow. I actually managed it although my terrible landing did almost got the ship blown up.

I got to the Yuracani system without problems and I docked at a station there because I needed one last refuel to make the
jump to Ngalia. So I took the screenshot... launched... and boosted through the mailslot right into a beluga flattening my
ship against its shields and got sent to a detention facility in the Tascher Sector AV-Y B5 system (for those of you who dont know Tascher is about as far from Ngalia as Celaeno is of not further) . At this point I dont have enough time to start over. "I'll just have to make my way back to Ngalia and carry on from there." I said to my self "Plus it doesnt say anywhere in the rules that you cant carry on the run after getting sent to a detention facility because you decided it was a good idea to splat your ship right into a beluga one jump away from the mid point"
And that is why Hojothefool got two screenshots of my gal mat on aproach to Ngalia.

The rest of the journey was pretty calm with the exception of me cooking my self alive a couple of times.
PS. Never boosting through a mailslot ever again.
PPS. I am still baffled how I never got interdicted ONCE in all that mess.

Last edited:
I guess I can add some more details here than I did in the READ ME file I left Hojothefool

Like I said earlier this is the first time I've done anything like this and I'm pretty new to the game. I also took a small break from the game as I usually do when I clock around 150h on any game.

I got to Artemis lodge without any problems (after all I do have a DBX half set for exploring) and I'm like "cool this cant be that hard I'll have time for a single run just for the lols". As I was going for Ngalia I was fumbling around with the controls and remembering how this game worked ON ROUTE. I also didn't know how search for systems with stations in them so I every time I would get about halfway through my fueltank I would check EDDB.io for the nearest system with a station in it. However I misjudged the distance and was left a couple of jumps away from 42 N Persei with enough fuel to wait for the Fuel Rats without leaving the game. This is the first time I've had to call the Fuel Rats ever. So I was resqued by the two wonderful rats CMDR Menchi and CMDR FluffyMcCuddles who also told me how to use the Galmap to find systems with stations in them.
So after that new experience for me I went back to Artemis to start my second attempt.

As I took of I decided that it would be a great idea to boost though the mailslot with my UNSHIELDED Sidewinder. I'm not a
great pilot so I crashed 5m from the mailslot leaving my poor ship at 4%. I decided to push through to the first pit stop
and then repair the White Crow. I actually managed it although my terrible landing did almost got the ship blown up.

I got to the Yuracani system without problems and I docked at a station there because I needed one last refuel to make the
jump to Ngalia. So I took the screenshot... launched... and boosted through the mailslot right into a beluga flattening my
ship against its shields and got sent to a detention facility in the Tascher Sector AV-Y B5 system (for those of you who dont know Tascher is about as far from Ngalia as Celaeno is of not further) . At this point I dont have enough time to start over. "I'll just have to make my way back to Ngalia and carry on from there." I said to my self "Plus it doesnt say anywhere in the rules that you cant carry on the run after getting sent to a detention facility because you decided it was a good idea to splat your ship right into a beluga one jump away from the mid point"
And that is why Hojothefool got two screenshots of my gal mat on aproach to Ngalia.

The rest of the journey was pretty calm with the exception of me cooking my self alive a couple of times.
PS. Never boosting through a mailslot ever again.
PPS. I am still baffled how I never got interdicted ONCE in all that mess.
I love this so much ... it really reminds me of my own "just go with it and see what happens" approach when events don't unfold quite as I'd planned. And even better, it reminds me of perhaps the all-time greatest Buckyball gone wrong adventure (now imortalised in a tourist beacon in 241 G. Aquarii) where Tannik Seldon's ship blew up while he was in the SRV stage of a race, and rather than give up, he drove to the nearest planetary base to get a new ship ... a base which just happened to be 5 days drive away on the opposite side of the planet!

Hey Cheetah - shame you couldn't make it, woulda been cool to have a veteran from the original EZ Buckyball Runs turn up at the 11th hour! Maybe the next one?

:cool:
I would love to. I actually did start to get it together, took the Type 9 to Jamieson to get a ship with a better jump range to get to Maia but looking at the time, it just wasn't happening

@Hojothefool Thanks for organising such a fun event, Makes you think about how capable the Sidewinder is.

Now I'm looking at the other Buckyball's to see what I can do :)

I have no idea how some of you got ~35 minutes runs, I was struggling to get close to 40 minutes. Clearly missing something 🤔

Firstly, spotted this rather wonderful piece of architecture at Artemis Lodge

Screenshot_0228.jpg

Secondly, it would appear that even after the race has finished, I can't get away from the Thargoids (going back to Jameson's in my iCourier)

Screenshot_0229.jpg

Screenshot_0230.jpg

Top Bottom