Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge V2.0

Apologies for the wall of text. this has taken longer to write than some of my race event OPs.
TLDR: Ravenov is very fast indeed and lots of Cmdrs have found time to make A* Runs during the pandemic.

UPDATE - JUNE 3306 - LittleFool Bests Dr. Chives in Phantom Head-to-Head.

June was looking relatively quiet early on, with just a single run by Cmdr @Iceangel in his Dolphin Tea and Medals. This was the first ever unlimited class run in a Dolphin, and so Iceangel not only sets a nice baseline time for the Dolphin of 03:19:36, but also manages to snatch a vacant class record before @crotalus gets it - a notable achievement in itself.

But June livened up on the 11th with an epic head-to-head between Beagle Point record holder Cmdr @Dr_Chives and his friend Cmdr @LittleFool flying as a wing in identical Krait Phantoms aptly named Chasing the Fool and Chasing the Chives. Things were neck-and-neck for most of the race, until 20 jumps from Sadge Dr. Chives hit an area of galactic instability. When he rebooted his navigation computer he discovered that he'd been dumped out of hyperspace 140,000ls from his targeted Neutron Star. Dr. Chives eventually made it to A* with a great time of 02:33:44, but was quarter of an hour behind LittleFool who won the duel with a run of 02:17:00 - setting a new class record for the Krait Phantom.

The following day Cmdr Crotalus added to his huge personal haul of class records, arriving at Sadge in his Alliance Challenger Pearl in a great time of 04:04:16.

UPDATE - JULY 3306 - There's a new Sheriff in Town and the Sagittarius Sprint.

Back in April Cmdr @goosefraba19 made a series of runs that culminated in him claiming the A* Record. At the same time, the reigning Asp-X record holder Cmdr @Ravenov improved on her own record by making the first sub-2hr run in a non-conda, and also made a great run in her Anaconda Wake Turbulence that was just a few minutes slower than Goosefraba and Alot's times.

Well that third placed run turned out to be just a warning shot, 'cus Cmdr Ravenov is back and she means business. Beginning on 19th July Ravenov broke the A* Star-to-shining-Star record with a time of 01:37:12, the first of an unprecedented 4 record runs in 4 days, and she wasn't finished there - the record fell twice more before the end of July.

Even during the Original Buckyball Run A*, the record didn't tumble so fast. Mind you, back in the classic days it took 9 hours or so to make a run, so nobody was crazy enough to make runs back-to-back...

Well nobody expect Cmdr Alot (@Esvandiary)

But this time, so far even Alot can't match Ravenov's pace, he arrived at Sadge midday on 20-JUL after an outstanding run in Rhonda with a time of 01:36:50, better than the record from the 19th, but Ravenov had arrived earlier with a new run of 01:36:43.

By the end of the July, Ravenov had brought the record down to 01:31:59, tantalisingly close to breaking the 90 minute barrier.

Earlier in the month rookie racer Cmdr Golden-Knight (@The Golden Knight) had arrived at The Center in his classic Cobra mkIII Freedom's Beginning 18h21m00s after launching from Sol. After that epic run Golden-Knight had the cool idea to launch a new event called the Sagittarius Sprint where Cmdrs raced their classic ships from Sol to Sag A* in real time, only to be surprised to find that a Texan Space Cowboy and a Kangeroo had beaten him to the idea 5 over years ago, and that the BRC had carried on hosting the event after Bucky decided to call it a day back in July 3301

However, since we all know that it really is a great idea, I've arranged with @ElectricZ for a special video message from the architect of the original Sol-Sag A* speedrun challenge, none other than Bucky himself.

bucky.gif

Damn! Now that was emotional for all us old-timers, hopefully Bucky will be back here one day to announce Buckyball Run XI.

Joking aside Golden-Knight has been a great sport on the forums and on Discord, and not discouraged he returned to the challenge in August in an even more epic adventure...

Also making runs in July were A* Challenge newcomer Cmdr @Ryphon, arriving at Sadge in an excellent time of 2h35m18s in the Anaconda Wet Paper Bag, and Cmdr Crotalus who claimed the Fer-de-Lance unlimited record with a run of 04:57:48 in Nausicaa.

UPDATE - AUGUST 3306 - Ravenov Domination Continues, Golden Knight's Classic 65k and new Neutron Class record.

And so my wall of text reaches "this month" and August 3306 begins how July ended, with Cmdr Ravenov dominating all-comers. On the 2nd she made a new Conda run in Wake Turbulence, becoming the first to break 90 minutes with a time of 1:28:45. This was perfectly timed once again, as a little later that day Cmdr @goosefraba19 arrived at Sadge in Phoenix after a run of 1:31:50, which would have been fast enough to reclaim his record had Ravenov not already posted her new time. That was Ravenov's 7th record breaking run in 2 weeks.

Also challenging the record on the 2nd was Cmdr Dr. Chives in his conda Racing Rodent - a fantastic run of 01:39:36 was good enough to place Dr. Chives 4th on the leaderboard.

Not content with the A* record, Cmdr Ravenov then turned her attention to the Colonia Speedrun Record, and claimed that with a run of 1:18:08 dock-to-dock.

Dr. Chives then took the opportunity to claim the non-conda Sol-Sag A* record while Ravenov was busy flying the big-snake - his run of 01:57:06 in his renamed Krait Phantom Technical Difficulties was fast enough to get revenge on Cmdr LittleFool and to beat Ravenov's Asp-X record, making him the fastest non-conda pilot in the Galaxy.

However it turned out that Cmdr Ravenov also had a brand new Asp-X route ready...

After first breaking her Anaconda record yet again with the current Sol-Sag A* record time of 1:26:57, Ravenov swapped to her Asp Explorer Redshift Revolution and retook the non-conda record with a great time of 01:45:44. Then 3 days later returned again with a new Asp-X record of 01:43:26.

After taking a few days to recover from first trip to and from Sadge, Cmdr Golden-Knight embarked upon a new adventure. Arriving at Sadge in his classic DBX Lonely Bachelor in an excellent time of 09:32:19, he then continued all the way to Beagle Point, joining the 65k Club and completing the 48 hour challenge in 38h30m49s a damned fine achievement in a non-engineered ship (without the use of either jumponium or neutron boosting). o7 Cmdr!

A* Challenge regular Cmdr Crotalus claimed another class record, this time the unlimited Hauler record, with a run of 03:43:46 in Helena.

Buckyball newcomer Cmdr Bob Dubrovnik (my old friend from SEPP @Coslany) made the first Neutron Class run in over two years, setting a new record in his classic Orca Night Riviera with a time of 5:19:24. This was slightly embarrassing as I announced that I was planning to retire Neutron Class on the BRC Discord while Cmdr Dubrovnik was half way through his run! Of all the days! 😆

Anyway Neutron Class will remain a thing until the end of September - more on that later - so if you fancy making a run in that Class, then get it in now.

And last, but most definitely not least another newcomer Cmdr @markyp4334 made an unlimited run to Sadge in his conda TFS lifeline in a great time of 02:37:38. As far as I am aware, this is the first ever A* Challenge entry on the PS4, so welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club Cmdr! o7

CURRENT LEADERBOARDS

PZz5nZq.png

Neutron_Board.png

Unlimited_Board.png

Legend.png

Last edited:
Apologies for the wall of text. this has taken longer to write than some of my race event OPs.
TLDR: Ravenov is very fast indeed and lots of Cmdrs have found time to make A* Runs during the pandemic.

UPDATE - JUNE 3306 - LittleFool Bests Dr. Chives in Phantom Head-to-Head.

June was looking relatively quiet early on, with just a single run by Cmdr @Iceangel in his Dolphin Tea and Medals. This was the first ever unlimited class run in a Dolphin, and so Iceangel not only sets a nice baseline time for the Dolphin of 03:19:36, but also manages to snatch a vacant class record before @crotalus gets it - a notable achievement in itself.

But June livened up on the 11th with an epic head-to-head between Beagle Point record holder Cmdr @Dr_Chives and his friend Cmdr @LittleFool flying as a wing in identical Krait Phantoms aptly named Chasing the Fool and Chasing the Chives. Things were neck-and-neck for most of the race, until 20 jumps from Sadge Dr. Chives hit an area of galactic instability. When he rebooted his navigation computer he discovered that he'd been dumped out of hyperspace 140,000ls from his targeted Neutron Star. Dr. Chives eventually made it to A* with a great time of 02:33:44, but was quarter of an hour behind LittleFool who won the duel with a run of 02:17:00 - setting a new class record for the Krait Phantom.

The following day Cmdr Crotalus added to his huge personal haul of class records, arriving at Sadge in his Alliance Challenger Pearl in a great time of 04:04:16.

UPDATE - JULY 3306 - There's a new Sheriff in Town and the Sagittarius Sprint.

Back in April Cmdr @goosefraba19 made a series of runs that culminated in him claiming the A* Record. At the same time, the reigning Asp-X record holder Cmdr @Ravenov improved on her own record by making the first sub-2hr run in non-conda, and also made a great run in her Anaconda Wake Turbulence that was just a few minutes slower than Goosefraba and Alot's times.

Well that third placed run turned out to be just a warning shot, 'cus Cmdr Ravenov is back and she means business. Beginning on 19th July Ravenov broke the A* Star-to-shining-Star record with a time of 01:37:12, the first of an unprecedented 4 record runs in 4 days, and she wasn't finished there - the record fell twice more before the end of July.

Even during the Original Buckyball Run A*, the record didn't tumble so fast. Mind you, back in the classic days it took 9 hours or so to make a run, so nobody was crazy enough to make runs back-to-back...

Well nobody expect Cmdr Alot (@Esvandiary)

But this time, so far even Alot can't match Ravenov's pace, he arrived at Sadge midday on 20-JUL after an outstanding run in Rhonda with a time of 01:36:50, better than the record from the 19th, but Ravenov had arrived earlier with a new run of 01:36:43.

By the end of the July, Ravenov had brought the record down to 01:31:59, tantalisingly close to breaking the 90 minute barrier.

Earlier in the month rookie racer Cmdr Golden-Knight (@The Golden Knight) had arrived at The Center in his classic Cobra mkIII Freedom's Beginning 18h21m00s after launching from Sol. After that epic run Golden-Knight had the cool idea to launch a new event called the Sagittarius Sprint where Cmdrs raced their classic ships from Sol to Sag A* in real time, only to be surprised to find that a Texan Space Cowboy and a Kangeroo had beaten him to the idea 5 over years ago, and that the BRC had carried on hosting the event after Bucky decided to call it a day back in July 3301

However, since we all know that it really is a great idea, I've arranged with @ElectricZ for a special video message from the architect of the original Sol-Sag A* speedrun challenge, none other than Bucky himself.

Damn! Now that was emotional for all us old-timers, hopefully Bucky will be back here one day to announce Buckyball Run XI.

Joking aside Golden-Knight has been a great sport on the forums and on Discord, and not discouraged he returned to the challenge in August in an even more epic adventure...

Also making runs in July were A* Challenge newcomer Cmdr @Ryphon, arriving at Sadge in an excellent time of 2h35m18s in the Anaconda Wet Paper Bag, and Cmdr Crotalus who claimed the Fer-de-Lance unlimited record with a run of 04:57:48 in Nausicaa.

UPDATE - AUGUST 3306 - Ravenov Domination Continues, Golden Knight's Classic 65k and new Neutron Class record.

And so my wall of text reaches "this month" and August 3306 begins how July ended, with Cmdr Ravenov dominating all-comers. On the 2nd she made a new Conda run in Wake Turbulence, becoming the first to break 90 minutes with a time of 1:28:45. This was perfectly timed once again, as a little later that day Cmdr @goosefraba19 arrived at Sadge in Phoenix after a run of 1:31:50, which would have been fast enough to reclaim his record had Ravenov not already posted her new time. That was Ravenov's 7th record breaking run in 2 weeks.

Also challenging the record on the 2nd was Cmdr Dr. Chives in his conda Racing Rodent - a fantastic run of 01:39:36 was good enough to place Dr. Chives 4th on the leaderboard.

Not content with the A* record, Cmdr Ravenov then turned her attention to the Colonia Speedrun Record, and claimed that with a run of 1:18:08 dock-to-dock.

Dr. Chives then took the opportunity to claim the non-conda Sol-Sag A* record while Ravenov was busy flying the big-snake - his run of 01:57:06 in his renamed Krait Phantom Technical Difficulties was fast enough to get revenge on Cmdr LittleFool and to beat Ravenov's Asp-X record, making him the fastest non-conda pilot in the Galaxy.

However it turned out that Cmdr Ravenov also had a brand new Asp-X route ready...

After first breaking her Anaconda record yet again with the current Sol-Sag A* record time of 1:26:57, Ravenov swapped to her Asp Explorer Redshift Revolution and retook the non-conda record with a great time of 01:45:44. Then 3 days later returned again with a new Asp-X record of 01:43:26.

After taking a few days to recover from first trip to and from Sadge, Cmdr Golden-Knight embarked upon a new adventure. Arriving at Sadge in his classic DBX Lonely Bachelor in an excellent time of 09:32:19, he then continued all the way to Beagle Point, joining the 65k Club and completing the 48 hour challenge in 38h30m49s a damned fine achievement in a non-engineered ship (without the use of either jumponium or neutron boosting). o7 Cmdr!

A* Challenge regular Cmdr Crotalus claimed another class record, this time the unlimited Hauler record, with a run of 03:43:46 in Helena.

Buckyball newcomer Cmdr Bob Dubrovnik (my old friend from SEPP @Coslany) made the first Neutron Class run in over two years, setting a new record in his classic Orca Night Riviera with a time of 5:19:24. This was slightly embarrassing as I announced that I was planning to retire Neutron Class on the BRC Discord while Cmdr Dubrovnik was half way through his run! Of all the days! 😆

Anyway Neutron Class will remain a thing until the end of September - more on that later - so if you fancy making a run in that Class, then get it in now.

And last, but most definitely not least another newcomer Cmdr @markyp4334 made an unlimited run to Sadge in his conda TFS lifeline in a great time of 02:37:38. As far as I am aware, this is the first ever A* Challenge entry on the PS4, so welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club Cmdr! o7
Heavy Metal ensues! 🤘

Fun-fact, "Lonely Bachelor" is practically ADVERTISING the fact I'm single and need a lady in my life! ;)

Last edited:
Once again, bravo @Raiko and thank you so much for keeping the updates coming.
It's been great to watch the reports of all of the various runs to the Core as they come in. A huge o7 Cmdrs.
I have that growing feeling that I'll do another run (maybe a Cutter!) but I'm currently a bit handicapped by a poorly wrist. I'm grounded until the medtechs work their magic ...

o7 everyone and thank you :).
(maybe a classic Dolphin after how Tea and Medals did ... although that would probably finish off my wrist !)

Oh, and more "seriously", about that "finding time during the pandemic"...no joke, my attempts were made possible because of the pandemic. No, seriously, this event is sponsored by the Coronavirus. Coronavirus: take a vacation...NOW! :p
(It IS a grizzly situation, if I'm being frank, but to look on the positive, pollution is down and millions of people are suddenly noticing things that they couldn't when scrambling from the full-time routine.)

Just wanted to add my appreciation for @Raiko's truly excellent work in continuining to organise and maintain this Buckyball challenge. That's one of the best race news updates I've seen in a long long time! I know from experience how the enthusiasm to do these really well can wane over the years so again, thank you Raiko for taking the time and effort to prepare such an excellent write-up and do proper justice to everyone's attempts at the A* run.

👌

Just wanted to add my appreciation for @Raiko's truly excellent work in continuining to organise and maintain this Buckyball challenge. That's one of the best race news updates I've seen in a long long time! I know from experience how the enthusiasm to do these really well can wane over the years so again, thank you Raiko for taking the time and effort to prepare such an excellent write-up and do proper justice to everyone's attempts at the A* run.

👌

Amen!

A couple of rules tweaks - I'll edit the OP in the next couple of days, plus news of how you can enter the A* Challenge and the Colonia Speedrun Challenge at the same time.

IMPORTANT NEWS - EVIDENCE SCREENSHOTS RULE UPDATE!

Due to the redesign of the launchpad menu, it's no longer possible to verify the start date of a run using that screen.

For this reason, for all runs that launch from this date forward, please include a screenshot showing the station services menu at either Galileo or Lomas prior to departure.

You can use this as your departure screenshot if you wish - like @Ravenov has been doing - or you can provide it as an extra "pre-departure" screenshot - like @Dr_Chives has been doing - in which case please make sure that the screenshot is taken no more than 5 minutes earlier than your launchpad screenshot.

This is mostly just to ensure the same degree of integrity that existed prior to the menu redesign. It also verifies how many days your run was, if you're flying a slower classic class ship, or just making a more leisurely journey to Sadge.

If you forget, then I'm likely to be lenient about this new rule, so long as your run doesn't set any kind of record. But for any run that breaks a record of any kind, I will need evidence of your start date, so you might need to dig out your journals or direct me to your EDSM flight log or something if you forget.

1. Station Services Starting Screenshot, verifying time, date, location and ship.
  2. GalMap Finishing Screenshot, verifying time, date and location.
Ravenov_Start.jpg

Ravenov_Finish.png

1. Station Services pre-run Screenshot, verifying date and location.
  2. Launchpad Starting Screenshot, verifying time, location and ship.
  3. GalMap Finishing Screenshot, verifying time, date and location.
Chives_Station.jpg

Chives_Start.jpg

Chives_Finish.jpg

THE COLONIA SPEEDRUN COMPETITION - DOUBLE OR NOTHING!

As you are all probably aware by now, Cmdr @Exigeous is hosting the excellent Colonia Speedrun Competition in association with the Buckyball Racing Club until at least 6th September. A couple of commanders have expressed an interest in temporarily having a combined Bubble → Colonia → Sadge leaderboard / event; and @Ravenov even gave it a name DOUBLE OR NOTHING!

However there are a couple of minor problems to address in order to cater for runs that attempt both challenges, namely:
  • The Speedrun starts at Rebuy Prospect (Fullerene C60) home of the BRC, rather than Sol, home of humanity.
  • The Speedrun is Solo only, the A* Challenge is Open only.
  • @Exigeous would like Cmdrs to keep their run times secret until the end, whereas the BRC like to have regular updates.
  • Only one submission is allowed, per Cmdr, for the Speedrun, whereas the BRC tend to encourage multiple retries.
  • It's a long way to Colonia and then a long way again to Sadge.
In order to resolve the rules incompatibilities between the two, I'm going relax the requirements of an A* Challenge run if it goes via Colonia (see Fun Runs below for the full extent of the relaxation).

So with regard to making "DOUBLE OR NOTHING!" entries, in order to be valid entries for both the Colonia Speedrun and the A* Challenge, and therefore eligable to appear on the "DOUBLE OR NOTHING!" leaderboard, all runs must:

1. Begin Docked at Rebuy Prospect in Fullerene C60 in SOLO mode.
  2. Optionally purchase some Buckyball Beer Mats - see the "Don't Forget Your Beer Mats!" timeout rules below.
  3. Take the required evidence screenshots before departure (for me) and start recording your video evidence (for @Exigeous)
  4. Travel to Colonia, abiding all the rules of the chosen class in the Colonia Speedrun Competition AND all the rules of the chosen class in the A* Challenge.
  5. Dock at Jaques Station.
  6. Take a station services screenshot (for me) when docked and optionally stop recording your video now.
  7. Optionally sell your surviving Buckyball Beer Mats at Jaques Station, taking a screenshot while you do so, then take your well earned timeout. You'll need another screenshot before relaunching if you do.
  8. Switch to OPEN mode, and launch again heading for Sadge.
  9. You are now only subject to the rules of your chosen class in the A* Challenge - don't worry about video, I won't be watching unless it's Fateful 8 standard.
  10. Arrive at the Sagittarius A* system and take a final screenshot of the galaxy map as evidence.
Video evidence for the Colonia Speedrun Challenge is required by @Exigeous by Midnight PST Sunday September 6th, and the winner of that challenge will be announced on Tuesday September 8th.

So please don't send your DOUBLE OR NOTHING! screenshots to me until at least September 6th.
I'll take submissions for DOUBLE OR NOTHING! until 23:59 GMT Wednesday 30th September, in order to encourage BRC Cmdrs to remember to take part in Real Men Race In Lederhosen. So don't miss out on @Ashnak's brilliant race just to try this.

From October the DOUBLE OR NOTHING leaderboard will move into the History of the A* Challenge section. It might make a return again, as @Exigeous has mentioned that he plans to run the Colonia Speedrun every six months. It could also stick around if there is sufficient interest, but I don't want to dilute the A* Challenge itself, so maybe just as an occasional event.

To keep a level playing field, all DOUBLE OR NOTHING! runs must abide by the Colonia Speedrun rules (eg Solo mode until Colonia) even if made after the end of Speedrun itself.

I'll provide a Google entry form for the DOUBLE OR NOTHING! event before September 6th.

Don't Forget Your Buckyball Beer Mats!

MKvDnKz.jpg

Okay, so as mentioned, it is a very long way from Sol to Colonia, and when you get there it's still a very long way to Sadge - and not everyone has the time or inclination to make a double run.

In order to encourage Cmdrs to try out a double run, especially if you find yourself in Colonia after doing the speedrun and have never got your name on the A* Challenge board, I'm offering the chance of a timeout. This will ONLY affect your DOUBLE OR NOTHING! run time, it will not affect your time if eligible for the A* Challenge.

This is also a little light-hearted, and will slow down your Speedrun attempt, so hardcore racers might want to avoid it, certainly during the duration of the Colonia Speedrun Competition itself. I must declare here that as I plan to participate in the Speedrun competition, albeit in an Asp-X rather than a racing-Conda, I do stand to benefit from your slower Colonia run! :rolleyes:

The "Don't Forget Your Beer Mats!" time-out rules are as follows:
  • While at Rebuy Prospect purchase some of the rare commodity Buckyball Beer Mats.
  • Take a commodities marker screenshot as you purchase them - showing time, date, purchase price and quantity.
  • Each ton of Beer Mats successfully delivered to Jaques Station will allow you a 1 hour time-out before leaving Jaques. (e.g. deliver 24 tons to have a full day rest).
  • Remember to take a station services screenshot as soon as you arrive at Jaques, this will stop the clock.
  • You must take a screenshot before confirming the sale at Jaques - showing time, date, quantity, sale price and profit. This verifies that they're the same Beer Mats that you bought at Rebuy
  • Seeing as you've now got time, why not have a go at @Edelgard von Rhein's Colonia Trophy Dash for a lightning tour of the region! Let me know and you'll get a special note on the board.
  • Take a station services screenshot before you launch from Jaques. This restarts the clock, unless your timeout has already run out, in which case it just verifies when you left Jaques.
  • So for example, if you sell 4 tons of beer mats, and then depart after 3 hours then your clock restarts then, however if you depart after 5 hours, then the clock restarted an hour ago (when the 4 hour timeout ended).
I'll provide some screenshot examples soon, but I'm sure you all get what I mean.

NEUTRON CLASS TO BE RETIRED

This was slightly embarrassing as I announced that I was planning to retire Neutron Class on the BRC Discord while Cmdr Dubrovnik was half way through his run! Of all the days! 😆

I've reconsidered retiring Neutron Class due to @Coslany's run, plus the potential increase in interest due to:
  • Colonia Speedrun Competition Unengineered Class = A* Challenge Neutron Class
So I'll see how things go. If a few more months go by with no further interest in this class, then I'll retire it and merge the entries into Unlimited Class (with the final Neutron Class boards archived into the "History of the A* Challenge" section). If interest picks up, then I'll keep it going forever. :)

NEW RULE - FLEET CARRIERS

The use of Fleet Carriers for any purpose is banned for A* Challenge participants during their runs.
Between departing from Sol / Wolf-359 and arriving at Sag A* you must remain in control of your own starship and must not dock at a Fleet Carrier.

Fun Runs (see below) are not subject to this rule.

FUN RUNS

One or two Cmdrs have objected starting from a Federation system, and Sol in particular.
One or two Cmdrs have also wished to make runs from their favourite system / station in the game.
One or two Cmdrs have been discouraged from entering as they never fly in Open mode.

But you can't have a speed run challenge without a fixed start line.

So, for all these commanders and also in order to allow the DOUBLE OR NOTHING! event to run, I will now accept Fun Run entries.

Fun Run entries to the A* Challenge are not serious attempts to break any A* Challenge records and so the rules are relaxed for them a little. However they must abide by one important new rule:
  • All Fun Run entries MUST dock at Jaques Station (Colonia) enroute from the Bubble to Sag A*
  • A station services screenshot from Jaques must be provided as evidence that this is a fun run and not subject to the full A* Challenge Rules
Providing your visit Jaques on the way to Sag A* some of the normal rules are relaxed - and so:
  • You may depart from any station within 350ly of Sol, or within 20ly of Maia.
  • You may make your run in any game mode.
  • You are free to make use of one or more Fleet Carriers, but please let me know which ones!
All other rules apply, so the clock keeps ticking from launch in the Bubble until arrival in Sag A*.

Last edited:
o7 Cmdr and welcome to the A* racers club ! Due to a change to the info in the first screen (cockpit view, docked), the date isn't there any more so I think Raiko was looking for confirmation (station services screen has it) that the screenshots were on the same day.

@Hojothefool that's perfect with the screenshots that you've included in the post now.
The outfitting shots that are included in your album are optional for unlimited, but needed for classic & neutron class runs. Welcome to the BRC, nice run and the first ever unlimited Asp Scout run. :)

@markyp4334 great run again. :cool:
Just a reminder, as you're very close to breaking the console record: I need a station services screenshot now, as either the starting time or taken a maximum of 5 minutes pre-launch with a traditional launchpad screenshot.
No worries though, as I've not updated the OP yet.

One more quick rule update:

MULTICREW

I had been told that this was fixed in the latest patch, but it's now confirmed as NOT fixed so it's about time I mentioned it:
  • The use of multicrew is banned in all classes.
  • This does not apply to Fun Runs via Colonia, however it does apply to "Double of Nothing!" attempts.
This is due to a bug that means that malfunctions, including FSD malfunctions, will not occur if you have a multicrew companion.

For consistency this rule will remain, even it the Devs ever fix the bug.

We may need to verify if this bug is still in the game.Tried it a few weeks ago and it seems fixed.
It's been confirmed in the Colonia Speedrun thread that the bug is still present. I'm making it a rule that multicrew isn't allowed regardless of whether the bug ever gets fixed.

I ran the speed run again today !

CMDR: iceangel
Ship: Zoomnarr
Ship Type: Krait Mk II
Class: Unlimited
Time: 3 hours, 10 minutes and 49 seconds
Not quite under 3 hours yet but I shaved a few minutes off the personal best. Pictures to follow :

Zoomnarr Galileo Departure.jpg
Zoomnarr departure 1080p.jpg
Zoomnarr arrives Sagi A star.jpg
May have had a little accident along the way ...
Zoomnarr too close to neutron.jpg
Zoomnarr at Sagi A star 2.jpg

My own Colonia Speedrun has been delayed as I've stuck around in the bubble for all of Real Men Race in Lederhosen seeing as the Speedun competition was extended by a week.

Because of this, I've not yet set up the promised Google form for Double or Nothing entries.
If anyone would like to submit Double or Nothing entries immediately, rather than waiting for the Google Form, then you can, but please send them by Private Message Only (ie use the forum "start conversation" function) - please do not post your Double or Nothing screenshots in this thread, as the Colonia Times are supposed to be a secret until the end.

I'll post a Double or Nothing leaderboard on here, as soon as I have at least three submissions.
I won't be entering Double or Nothing myself, as I'll be staying in Colonia for a few days - and my Asp Explorer entry to the Colonia Speedrun Competition shouldn't be in contention for any prizes, so there's no harm in me knowing your run time, as long as I keep it to myself.

The Double or Nothing leaderboard won't actually show the full times until into the last week (so after the Speedrun competition has ended).

Reminder - to enter the Double or Nothing event I need the following, via Private Message:
  • Cmdr Name
  • Ship Name
  • Ship Type
  • A* Challenge Entry Class (Classic / Neutron / Unlimited)
  • Run Time (taking into account any timeout that might apply)
  • Station Services screenshot at Rebuy Prospect (Fullerene C60)
  • {optional} Launch pad screenshot docked at Rebuy Prospect - This will be your start time, if less than 5 minutes after the Station Services screenshot, otherwise the station services screenshot is your start time.
  • Screenshot while docked at Jaques Station (Colonia)
  • Screenshot of the Galaxy Map showing you at Sagittarius A* - This is your end time.
Also:
  • If you entered in Classic or Neutron Class, you also need to provide outfitting screenshots, or module tab screenshots showing that no engineered or guardian tech modules are fitted.
  • If you hauled Buckyball Beermats to Jaques in order to take a timeout, then you need to provide extra screenshots as described above in this post, showing the purchase and sale of the mats, and you need to provide a screenshot ending your timeout prior to launching from Jaques.
@The Golden Knight and @Ravenov - I know that you've both made runs, so you can either PM me the evidence now, or hold off for the Google form when I make it to Colonia. I've received a submission already from @crotalus so if I get two more then I'll post a Double or Nothing leaderboard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom