Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge V2.0

Commander Crotalus
Ship type Type 9
Ship Name Theia
Time 3 hours 56 Minutes 39 Seconds
Class Unlimited

0IHNApc.jpg
nH40hkl.jpg

Hi. I don't know if this allows this entry to qualify, but I do hope so. I did the challenge using a fleet carrier, trying to stick as close to your rules as I could.

I left (in a ship of course) from Lomas Orbiter in Wolf 359:
1DKASH7.png
and travelled to my carrier:
ZcWgvUu.png

I then jumped to Sagittarius A* non-stop (that is, in the spirit of it being an endurance trial), and completed the journey thus:
09osycA.png

I also confirm that I did not use any kind of assisted jumping system (commonly referred to as a "nav computer"). Full disclosure, though, I believe Cervidian did a Sag A* run during the beta which may also be considered.

Does this count as an entry?

Hi. I don't know if this allows this entry to qualify, but I do hope so. I did the challenge using a fleet carrier, trying to stick as close to your rules as I could.

I left (in a ship of course) from Lomas Orbiter in Wolf 359:
1DKASH7.png
and travelled to my carrier:
ZcWgvUu.png

I then jumped to Sagittarius A* non-stop (that is, in the spirit of it being an endurance trial), and completed the journey thus:
09osycA.png

I also confirm that I did not use any kind of assisted jumping system (commonly referred to as a "nav computer"). Full disclosure, though, I believe Cervidian did a Sag A* run during the beta which may also be considered.

Does this count as an entry?
It's unconventional and might have to be in a leaderboard all of its own ... but I love it! 😄

@GlowyHedgehog, I'll include a Carrier Class in the update, your run will be listed as the first A* Challenge Carrier Class entry, and therefore the first record holder, even if someone else beats the record before I post the update. :)

@everyone: Sorry for the delay posting a leaderboard update, I've got other stuff going on that distracted me from firing up the spreadsheet. I'm still committed to running the challenge, so bear with me and I'll update the tables ASAP.
I've not lost track of the entries, just haven't had time to update the tables yet. :confused:

@GlowyHedgehog, I'll include a Carrier Class in the update, your run will be listed as the first A* Challenge Carrier Class entry, and therefore the first record holder, even if someone else beats the record before I post the update. :)

@everyone: Sorry for the delay posting a leaderboard update, I've got other stuff going on that distracted me from firing up the spreadsheet. I'm still committed to running the challenge, so bear with me and I'll update the tables ASAP.
I've not lost track of the entries, just haven't had time to update the tables yet. :confused:

I must've missed this part. Anyway, I totally get it, reality sucks and takes away all the fun and nice things in the world. I won't hold that against anyone personally, and will file my complaints on with the Maker up high.

I'm updating the spreadsheet now, so I should have the tables updated and posted today including new boards for Double or Nothing and Carrier Class. If I get interrupted, then I'll have time to finish the updates tomorrow.

I don't expect to have time today to write up a full commentary, but I'll try to do that in the next few days. That won't be tomorrow, as that's going to be my first day in the office for a few weeks, but I should hopefully get time on Friday when I'm working from home.

I really need to update the rules in the original post, especially with two new tables added, so I'll be prioritising that over writing the commentary summary post. So don't expect a summary posted here before the updated rules appear.

Going forward, I'm going to try to make sure that I update the leaderboards in the OP once per week , even if I still only make commentary summary posts every 1-3 months. This might slip to fortnightly if I'm busy and there's several runs. :)

The leaderboards in the OP are all up-to-date now.
I'll revamp the OP on Friday to include the recent rules updates, and the two new race classes (Double or Nothing and Carrier Class). I've not added those two boards to the OP yet, because I'm already at the 10 attachment limit - plus other images stored on imgur - so I need to have another think about which images go where.

Here are the drafts of the two new tables, they'll be added to the OP on Friday:

Double_or-Nothing.png

Fleet_Carrier_Class.png

As with any large update of the leaderboards, I might have made a mistake or two - if you spot an error (or I missed your run out) then let me know ASAP and I'll fix it or explain why it's correct.

In this case I've actually reduced a couple of times as I spotted mistakes in submissions where the submitted time was slower than the actual run. :)

I'll do my best to write up a summary of the last ten weeks or whatever it is, in the next few days.

EDIT: One last thing - if you are planning to emulate Cmdr GlowyHedgehog in making a FC run to Sadge, then you must begin docked at Lomas or Galileo in a ship (your start time), must dock at your carrier in the Sol / Wolf 359 system, and you must reach Sag A* in that Carrier in less than 24 hours without using any out-of-game fleet carrier nav tools - the new class will be the Carrier 24 Hour Challenge. It's supposed to be a race, and I'm not interested in week long leisure cruises in fleet carriers.

Last edited:
Commander: Crotalus
Ship Type: Type 7
Ship Name: Celosia
Class: Unlimited
Time: 2 Hours 48 Minutes 11 Seconds
I'm still working on tidying up the OP - I was too tired on Friday and too busy until this evening.

However, while tidying up my spreadsheet I noticed that Cmdr @crotalus' latest run is the 300th unique ranked entry in the combined Classic/Neutron/Unlimited/Carrier classes (Double or Nothing only count for this if they make those A* Challenge tables - ie you haven't made a faster run in the same class & ship type).

Here is the full list of all 300 A* Challenge Entries in order (inside a spoiler as it's a big list):

F8i8XKK.png

Here is the latest breakdown of entries by ship type:

Total Entries.png

That last run was Cmdr Crotalus' 40th unique ranked entry to the A* Challenge, and I think I'm correct in saying that it also gained him his 34th Class Record! Right on Commander! o7

Entries_per_Cmdr.png

Last edited:
That also brings me back to my other table, which I've posted once before and was planning to wait until we've had 200 separate Cmdrs entering, but I've wheeled it out again as we've had 300 ranked runs.

This table is the fastest single entry for each of the 190 Commanders in order. So if there was only one A* Challenge Leaderboard and each Commander could only appear on it once - this is what the leaderboard would look like:

4NNG3pe.png

I've kept this board up-to-date ever since I put it together a while back, and I'll probably include it in the OP now that I need to revamp it anyway. :)

Note: I reserve the right to separate Carrier Class out of both the combined tables if FD ever buff fleet carriers to a level that I'm offended by. ;)

Last edited:
That also brings me back to my other table, which I've posted once before and was planning to wait until we've had 200 separate Cmdrs entering, but I've wheeled it out again as we've had 300 ranked runs.

This table is the fastest single entry for each of the 190 Commanders in order. So if there was only one A* Challenge Leaderboard and each Commander could only appear on it once - this is what the leaderboard would look like:

4NNG3pe.png

I've kept this board up-to-date ever since I put it together a while back, and I'll probably include it in the OP now that I need to revamp it anyway. :)

Note: I reserve the right to separate Carrier Class out of both the combined tables if FD ever buff fleet carriers to a level that I'm offended by. ;)
Ugh don’t make me do a “proper” race entry in addition to the memes <.<

Top Bottom