Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge V2.0

Hi. Some of you may remember me, some won't, most likely the latter as I haven't been on in almost 2 years.

Firstly, thank you Raiko for keeping this alive. Upon relocating the original thread I was disappointed to hear about Drakhyr's departure but real life is a at times.

Secondly, the hell are you guys doing that my Beluga Time is still the fastest one out there? It's not even sub-24!!! (Not that I'm ungrateful to have had a record stand for 2 years mind, that much is actually quite awesome). Some nutter needs to step up their game, I had my account reset and now I have a goal to reach. Acquire and outfit an unengineered 'Luga and set an actual time.

Now the main reason for my sudden reappearance.

Those of you who were around 'back in days yonder' might recall I volunteered to cut my teeth in some factual writing. Namely, a document that would hopefully detail and keep a collection of the records and milestones of this challenge. Sorry to say, such a document never got finished. I can only apologise for this, but a combination of self-inflicted drama, as well as real life got in the way and despite getting some stuff documented and written out, I never got much further. Perhaps if I was to get back into the game again and the resulting playtime sparked my interest in writing it may get completed. But I don't want to leave it at 'maybe' when there is the wonder of the internet. This document contains my work. Anyone who wishes to fill out their own document and record the history of this challenge can use as much, or as little, of my scribblings as they wish. I only request appropriate credit is given. It's honestly not much to be fair so if you wanted to ignore it entirely and begin your own from scratch that's also fine of course.

(As a side note:- How am I still the ONLY Xbox runner!?!? Still, that gives me two brags then. Fastest 'Luga and Fastest Console Runner... ;-P )

Edit:- I tracked down the original post where I volunteered, people started giving me some help after that and any other potential writers may benefit from the advice I was given, or the information provided. Some of the biggest help were from Alec Turner and Rankaze in the links provided to the original A* Challenge thread. The comments were provided after I showed a work-in-progress off to gather feedback. There are more feedback posts (which didn't go ignored I assure you all) further along but if I linked each page individually I'd be here all night searching for them again, but there's only another 20-ish pages to read so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to see what was said.

Last edited:
CMDR: Alot
Ship: Anaconda, Rhonda
Class: Unlimited
Time: 01:37:47

1-Galileo.jpg
2-SagittariusA.jpg
Legend. I saw this in the pub so the least I could do was put Spirit in the Sky on the Jukebox.

SUMMARY REPORT 18-SEP-3305

RECORD FALLS THREE TIMES IN ONE WEEK!

That's right, even the current period of Galactic instability can't stop the Buckyball. As promised, Commander turkwinif improved on her previous run and broke the existing record twice in two days with runs in her Anaconda Liberty One, the second of which brought the best time down to 01:46:32.

Then as fierce warp-storms interfered with hyperspace travellers throughout the galaxy, it was expected that no further serious attempts would take place. However, multi-time A* Challenge record holder Commander Alot judged the hyperspace conditions perfectly and arrived in Rhonda at The Centre in a most impressive 01:37:47, reclaiming the record yet again.

That is quite a substantial lead, can anyone challenge it?

History_of_the_record.png

Unlimited_Board.png

SUMMARY REPORT 10-OCT-3305

Just two runs to report this time.

Firstly in unlimited class, Cmdr Crotalus makes another run, this time to take the unclaimed Federal Assault Ship record in his ship Athena with a run of 04:58:44.

Unlimited_Board.png

Then in Classic Class another A* Challenge regular Cmdr Darplata94 made a great run of 08:04:59 in his Anaconda Eunectes, as the Classic Class board is so big I've just attached the pertinent part here - the full board has been updated in the OP.

top21.png

Yes that's right, as well as making the second fastest Classic Class run ever, Darplata94 has also been the one who finally pushed my old Buckyball Run A* run out of the top 20 - thanks for that! :cry:

Seriously though - well done @Darplata94 that's an outstanding run :D, especially as many consider Cmdr Alot's first place time to be unassailable since the fix to system drop-in locations made obscured jumps much more likely. I remember that Rusticulous' Asp-X run was also thought to be unbeatable with the current game and Darplata94 has already bettered that, so perhaps a sub-8 hour run is on the cards. o7 Cmdr.

Official Intention to Run
Nov 2, 9:00am est (USA)
Unlimited (Not going for the "top spot", closer to Neutron route. I just want to be able to get back to the bubble quickly after)

Doing this for my 24hr livestream for charity. 24 Hours to do the 4 standing Bucky Ball Challenges. Maybe I will see some of you guys on the way. :)
  • Pilot: Lynx Savage
  • Ship: Hellscream
  • Ship Type: Krait Phantom
24hr_stream_Challenge_charity.png

Official Intention to Run
Nov 2, 9:00am est (USA)
Unlimited (Not going for the "top spot", closer to Neutron route. I just want to be able to get back to the bubble quickly after)

Doing this for my 24hr livestream for charity. 24 Hours to do the 4 standing Bucky Ball Challenges. Maybe I will see some of you guys on the way. :)
  • Pilot: Lynx Savage
  • Ship: Hellscream
  • Ship Type: Krait Phantom
That's super cool! I wish you the best of luck and many donations for charity! I will be engaged in a charity event myself on that day in a completely different game, so I cannot be there to watch your progress :(

Commander Crotalus
Ship Type Federal Gunship
Ship Name Circe
Class Unlimited (Neutron Stars, Guardian)
Time 5 hours 17 Minutes 55 Seconds
8hB9Wbz.jpg

inF7N4C.jpg

I will cast my hat into the ring for this challenge. Have a long-range trip planned and this will be a good way to start.

CMDR Captain-MD
Ship - Anaconda (The Great Jumper)
Class - Unlimited
I plan on streaming the run on Friday evening (01-Nov).

SUMMARY REPORT 15-JAN-3306

FASTEST A* RUN ON CONSOLE.

Since CMDR Alot reclaimed the overall record, things have quietened down again on the A* Challenge, so I've taken a while to post a new update. However it's about time I pulled my finger out, so here is the latest update.

First off, a couple more class records claimed by CMDR Crotalus who made unlimited class runs to Sadge in both his Federal Gunship Circe and his Viper Mk.IV Angelensis in times of 05:17:55 and 04:04:31.

The other new run to report is by CMDR Razor16251 in the Anaconda Razcue. With a time of 02:48:48 on the Xbox-One, this is the fastest ever A* Challenge run made on a console. Congratulations @Razor16251 and thanks for laying down the gauntlet for other console speedsters. :cool:

Prior to this, the fastest console run appears to have been CMDR Luke3107's Classic Class Asp Explorer run of 13:47:55.

Unlimited_Board.png

Last edited:
I've finally figured out my route so I'm ready to give this race a go. I think I'll be able to break 2 hours. Do you all have any advice for shortening the loading time between jumps?

CMDR: Goosefraba
Ship Type: Anaconda
Ship Name: Phoenix
Class: Unlimited

Top Bottom