Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge V2.0

Heck, I didn't realise how long it's been since the last official board update!
The spreadsheet is a bit of a monster, so that took some serious updating - done now though!
There were lots of runs to check back through, so there is a small chance that I've missed one (or more!). If I've missed your run, please let me know and I'll update again immediately. :)

SUMMARY REPORT 10-MAY-3306

RECORDS TUMBLE DURING GALACTIC PANDEMIC.

The recent galactic pandemic has seen several records broken, as Buckyball Runners flee the bubble and head 26,000 light years north! (The ultimate in social distancing?)

There are many great runs, the best of the bunch being from CMDR Goosefraba (@goosefraba19), who after making many incremental improvements to an already great time, finally took the A* Challenge record from CMDR Alot with an awesome run of 01:37:18 in his Anaconda Phoenix. Right on Commander! o7

Once again the galaxy awaits the response from CMDR Alot, has he finally been bested after holding the crown for most of the last five years? For now CMDR Goosefraba is the fastest Cmdr in the galaxy.

Record_History.png

Just behind CMDRs Goosefraba and Alot, CMDR Ravenov also made several A* Conda runs in Wake Turbulence, making it into third postion with a great time of 01:42:18 - definitely within striking distance of a record attempt.

@Ravenov also made a series of brilliant runs in her Asp Explorer - renamed Redshift Resolution - and became the first commander to break the 2 hour barrier in any ship other than an Anaconda. Congratulations CMDR Ravenov, that's a great achievement (and one that I wouldn't have minded attempting myself).

Ravenov's time of 01:58:43 sits in 7th place overall, a lone Asp in a crowd of Condas.

The only other non-Conda run in the top 16 is a new, improved DBX record by A* Challenge regular CMDR Darplata94. @Darplata94 made the run in the DBX Dark Runner, setting a time of 02:19:09. This sits just a few seconds behind another new record: CMDR SilentPhoenix05 set a new console record of 02:18:51 in his Anaconda I Believe I Can Jump - damn right you can jump @SilentPhoenix05, you just smashed 30 minutes off @Razor16251's console record! o7

Further down the table A* Challenge veteran CMDR Timothy Knight (@Rankaze) marked his return to Buckyballing by storming to The Centre in a great time of 04:16:07 in his racing Courier Joyeuse.

Last but not least in unlimited class, A* Chellenge newcomer CMDR Iceangel achieved the almost impossible by taking a vacant record before @crotalus or @Darplata94 snaffled it. @Iceangel set a great unlimited baseline of 06:07:25 in the Cobra MkIII Warp Factor Potato.

Talking of Darplata, not content with setting a DBX unlimited record, he also made the sole Classic Class entry of this update by setting a new Dolphin record with an excellent time of 09:26:18 in Tursiops. This run pushes CMDR Kligg's once record breaking run of 09:31:16 down to 20th place in classic class.

Unlimited_Board.png

Classic_Top_20.png

Classic_Board.png

Last edited:
Looking at the top Buckyball winners of all time, I almost feel like Anaconda needs it's own division. =D They're the heavyweights of Buckyball!
Well yes, the A* Speedrun Record has pretty much been held exclusively by Condas since @Anuranium's original 13 hour speedrun inspired @ElectricZ to set up the Buckyball Run A*. @Esvandiary's record run in the Asp-X Big Bird was actually made at a time when Buckyball Racers struggled to afford their rebuys during races, let alone Grade-A fuel scoops or racing Conda's! If my memory serves me correctly Alot's Asp-X run was made with a Grade 6B fuel scoop, and the exploration credits, plus a limited time discount allowed him to buy Rhonda (fitted with a Class-7B scoop) - the rest is history!

Having said that, we have records for every class, and always say to race in the ship you like to fly. You certainly wouldn't win a regular Buckyball event in an Anaconda. And you won't catch me or @Rankaze racing in a big snake.

Also:

cmdr_ganogati.png

That is one damn slick and sexy looking Keelback you've got there CMDR @Ganogati, I bet you can get that thing to Sadge in less than 14:19:00!! ;) And for some reason the unlimited record for Keelback's is currently vacant - with only a single Classic Class Keelback run ever made (by @crotalus obviously!)

Entries_By_Class.png

Last edited:
No posts from me for ages, and then three come along at the same time.

Speaking of flying what you like best, this is a table listing only the single fastest run by each of the A* Challenge's 177 entrants in order, regardless of mode:

I'll post this again if and when we get our 200th Commander entering the Challenge.

Best_runs.png

Last edited:
This is absolutely classic stuff Raiko, thanks so much for doing all this - I'm sure everyone greatly appreciates it. And what momentous times - a new Sagittarius A* record holder and Alot about to throw himself back into the task of taking the record back again. Those who've been here since the beginning will know that this is truly the stuff of legend and very exiciting!

Just one thing ... in that "fastest run by each commander" table - could you do me a favour and change "Sam Lowry" to "Alec Turner". That was my one and only Sagittarius A* run, I was pretty new to Buckyball and didn't really understand what ElectricZ meant when he asked for Name and then Pilot Name so I made up a fictional pilot name of "Sam Lowry" for a bit of role play.

Just one thing ... in that "fastest run by each commander" table - could you do me a favour and change "Sam Lowry" to "Alec Turner". That was my one and only Sagittarius A* run, I was pretty new to Buckyball and didn't really understand what ElectricZ meant when he asked for Name and then Pilot Name so I made up a fictional pilot name of "Sam Lowry" for a bit of role play.
Will do - in a few minutes - I'm just having a brief break from MS Excel! :LOL:

Speaking of flying what you like best, this is a table listing only the single fastest run by each of the A* Challenge's 177 entrants in order, regardless of mode:

I'll post this again if and when we get our 200th Commander entering the Challenge.

View attachment 172681
This is pretty cool, Raiko, thanks for doing this. It's kinda neat to be able to say I'm the third-fastest Commander to Sadge who's never flown an Anaconda.

Sorry for sort of disappearing again. I will be back. Being off my immunosuppressants due to the pandemic has caused my autoimmune symptoms to flare up some, and then on top of that I had to disconnect my sim rig to save her from a minor flood in my apartment (I did, thankfully, manage to save her, she's a $3000 rig, I'd be most upset if I hadn't! Thankfully her case has fairly tall feet!), and I haven't motivated myself to go crawling under the desk to hook everything back up yet (it's a bit of a trial with my arthritis).

I'm using the opportunity to finish up a couple of other projects (Notably, I'm recording a playthrough of Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order for a friend of mine who can't play action games due to RSI in her hands but wants to see the story... great game, btw. I may or may not also put the playthrough up on my Youtube channel), but I'll be back as soon as i can... and I'll probably be diving back into plotting another Joyeuse run (once I make it back to the bubble from the last one). Sub-4 or bust and all that.

<Han Solo> I'm out of it for a while, and everyone starts getting delusions of grandeur. </Han Solo>

Not that this is at all delusional:

CMDR: Goosefraba
Ship Type: Anaconda
Ship Name: Phoenix
Class: Unlimited

Time: 1:37:19

It's done. I can't wait to see how Alot blows this one out of the water!

<Second Sister> Outstanding! </Second Sister> (If you've played SW:JFO, you know the voice I'm quoting)

Very well done, indeed.

As others have already said, congrats indeed Goose - persistence pays off, and that is a very impressive time! I can say that, because similar to the previous two attempts, it looks a lot like mine. 😄

Naturally I'll see what I can do to fire back at some point soon-ish... but there might be a bit of a re-learning curve.

Alot, that was the funniest thing I've seen in quite a while. Brilliant work.

Adding a +1 to the chorus of : Thank you so much for organising these Cmdr Raiko. Your efforts are massively appreciated and this particular challenge has given me a fun new target that's encouraged me to look at getting back into some of the fun smaller ships that I kinda skipped right past when climbing up the ships since restarting again about this time last year.

I'll perhaps do another run soon, both to grab another vacant ship slot :-D and to see if I can take what I learned in Tea-89 Warp Factor Potato to target a time around 4 hours this time. I even have a new ship name already (just need ship) : Tea and Medals, callsign Volt-5 in honour of an old Eve Online corporation.

Cheers !

Hi! Thank you so much for doing this. I was just curious as to what I would need to do to register for this? I don’t currently have a set up but am working on that. Do I simply say “hey I’m interested” or is it more than that?

Hi! Thank you so much for doing this. I was just curious as to what I would need to do to register for this? I don’t currently have a set up but am working on that. Do I simply say “hey I’m interested” or is it more than that?
For this event you don't need to declare a run before entering. For all Buckyball events we have a tradition of declaring intents to race in the event thread, like so:

Intent to race:
CMDR Raiko
The Nomad (Asp Explorer)
Unlimited Class (PC)

And many Cmdrs who've made A* Challenge runs have made posts like that - always good for some good luck messages - but you don't need to. The only requirement is that you PM me or email me the start & finish screenshots when you make it to Sadge, plus outfitting screenshots (or the module panel) if you're making a Classic Class or Neutron Class run. :)

Hello everyone, I did another run this evening !

CMDR: iceangel
Ship Type: Dolphin
Ship Name: Tea and Medals, callsign VOLT-5
(an old Eve Online reference)

Time: 3:19:36

Pictures in the spoiler tags :
175715[/ATTACH]
(lol - I broke something with the tags, this is the "TM Galileo 1.jpg" attachment !)
TM Start at Galileo.jpg
TM Sagi A star galaxy map.jpg
TM Sagi A star 1080p.jpg

Much more use of the Neutron Star Highway this time and I was impressed by how quickly I could start the FSD charging up between systems.
o7

Attachments

• TM Galileo 1.jpg
    TM Galileo 1.jpg
    930.5 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Hi everybody,

inspired by a fellow fuelrat I tried a run by myself today:

Cmdr Dr. Chives
Ship Name: Chasing The Tail

Time: 2:04:24
(Made a mistake here. Been in the system for a minute before realizing I need a screenshot of the galmap. The arrival time is 2:03:38)

Learned a lot on this run. What a challenge!

UaIhnFd.jpg

44r6Etu.png

R86FQTa.jpg

For the record, LittleFool and I did it together. Had a disconnect 20 jumps short of Sagittarius A*, lost nearly 15 minutes. In the end 2:33:44 for me. Same build, shipname "Chasing The Fool".

Cmdr Dr. Chives
Ship Name: Chasing The Fool
Ship Type: Krait Phantom
Time: 2:33:44

E1JkZ5t.jpg

9VS9t3B.png

Last edited:
I was getting back into the game after a long hiatus, and looking at the chart, I couldn't help but look at the hauler times (hey, I have a soft spot for the ship and it's a good first explorer) and noticed that the top Hauler run in unlimited was 3 years ago, as was the one neutron run. I'm gonna take my stipped hauler to Sol in a week or so, because I think bare minimum I can get the neutron time under 6 hours, as that (and all the records from before 3.0, now that I'm thinking about it) can be broken by the simple fact that plotting can be done farther out more quickly now and it handles the core better than it used to. So I'm throwing my hat in the ring.
Cmdr Marco Armstrong
Ship Name: Armstrong's luck
Ship Type: Hauler
Class: Neutron

First time doing this. Before this, my longest travel was 4kly in a 35ly pre-engineering Python.
Learned a lot, think there's a TON I can do to improve. I think under 2 is very reasonable.

Cmdr: Ryphon
Ship Name: Wet Paper Bag | LNGRNG
Ship Type: Anaconda
Time: 3:25:18

Streamed the whole thing:
Here

Last edited:
Top Bottom