Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge V2.0

Commander: Crotalus
Ship Type: Diamondback Explorer
Ship Name: Adamanteus
Class: Unlimited
Time: 2 Hours 8 Minutes 44 Seconds

23mWMZJ.jpg

9eUjwuB.jpg

Finally back, still wanting to make up for not writing a full report for the last part of 3306. I might add a year-by-year history summary into post#2 of the thread, including end-of-year boards for each year (not sure how much work this would be for the early years).

SUMMARY REPORT 04-APR-3307

The first quarter of 3307 has seen things shaken up in the A* Challenge with Sirius Industries beginning limited production of their previously experimental double-engineered class 5A Frame Shift drive.

As all Pilots Federation commanders can now obtain these long-range drives from Tech Brokers, they became legal for the A* Challenge, which as expected resulted in several class records falling for medium sized ships.

Unsurprisingly the very first A* Challenge run with the new drive was made by Cmdr Crotalus, making a run of 02:18:59 in his Krait mk.II Katla.

Since the start of the year @crotalus has also snatched unlimited records for the Alliance Chieftain, Asp Scout, Dolphin and Imperial Clipper, and used the new Sirius FSD to take away the Diamondback Explorer record from Cmdr @Darplata94, making a great personal best run of 2:08:44 in Adamanteus.

As well as Crotalus' run 3307 has seen first entries by Cmdr K. Z. Kawasaki (@TheCountersteerer), Cmdr MrQuark, Cmdr Miklagardr (@DarthArcanus) and Cmdr MF1VE.

Cmdr K. Z. Kawasaki
, fresh from enjoying the BRC Sidewinder Fuel Challenge made a great first A* Challenge run, taking away the Orca record from Crotalus with a time of 02:27:04 in The Sounds of Science.

@MrQuark made an excellent first run in his Anaconda CSS Far From Dawn in a time of 02:08:39 and then returned to set a class record for the Cobra Mk.III of 05:11:43 in Depth of Light.

Cmdr Miklagardr meanwhile made a first A* appearance by smashing the 2 hour barrier in his Anaconda Fjarlaegur, with a run of 01:57:44, then beat that with a class record double engineered run of 01:56:56 in the Krait Phantom Könnuthur.

And @mf1ve made a nice first run of 03:21:09 in his Anaconda Dallas.

Welcome to the A* Challenge all of you! o7

And last, but definitely not least. Cmdr Ravenov returned to the course making use of the new Sirius drive to break the non-Conda record, not once, but twice in the Asp Explorer Resonance Cascade. The second of @Ravenov's runs - an amazing 01:33:51 - put the Asp-X back onto the A* Challenge podium for the first time since the end of the Buckyball Run A*. Other than Ravenov's own Anaconda run, only Cmdr @goosefraba19 has ever gotten to Sadge faster!

Unlimited_Board.png

rx91BQK.png

Unlimited_Records.png

No_Conda_Record_History.png

That's all for now folks - if I've missed anyone's run out, please let me know and I'll fix the boards ASAP. A couple of the runs above are missing from the OP, but I'm fixing that right now. :)

I'll details to the OP history tonight, including a note that Cmdr Crotalus made the first double-engineered run.

@crotalus, please could you confirm whether your Clipper run used the new drive?

Last edited:
Nice write up @Raiko ... although minor nitpick, it was Resonance Cascade (the ol' Half Life reference) ... although Redsift Cascade does have a nice ring to it. Next run if i make it will be a totally different name though, so less chance of confusion ;)

Finally back, still wanting to make up for not writing a full report for the last part of 3306. I might add a year-by-year history summary into post#2 of the thread, including end-of-year boards for each year (not sure how much work this would be for the early years).

SUMMARY REPORT 04-APR-3307

The first quarter of 3307 has seen things shaken up in the A* Challenge with Sirius Industries beginning limited production of their previously experimental double-engineered class 5A Frame Shift drive.

As all Pilots Federation commanders can now obtain these long-range drives from Tech Brokers, they became legal for the A* Challenge, which as expected resulted in several class records falling for medium sized ships.

Unsurprisingly the very first A* Challenge run with the new drive was made by Cmdr Crotalus, making a run of 02:18:59 in his Krait mk.II Katla.

Since the start of the year @crotalus has also snatched unlimited records for the Alliance Chieftain, Asp Scout, Dolphin and Imperial Clipper, and used the new Sirius FSD to take away the Diamondback Explorer record from Cmdr @Darplata94, making a great personal best run of 2:08:44 in Adamanteus.

As well as Crotalus' run 3307 has seen first entries by Cmdr K. Z. Kawasaki (@TheCountersteerer), Cmdr MrQuark, Cmdr Miklagardr (@DarthArcanus) and Cmdr MF1VE.

Cmdr K. Z. Kawasaki
, fresh from enjoying the BRC Sidewinder Fuel Challenge made a great first A* Challenge run, taking away the Orca record from Crotalus with a time of 02:27:04 in The Sounds of Science.

@MrQuark made an excellent first run in his Anaconda CSS Far From Dawn in a time of 02:08:39 and then returned to set a class record for the Cobra Mk.III of 05:11:43 in Depth of Light.

Cmdr Miklagardr meanwhile made a first A* appearance by smashing the 2 hour barrier in his Anaconda Fjarlaegur, with a run of 01:57:44, then beat that with a class record double engineered run of 01:56:56 in the Krait Phantom Könnuthur.

And @mf1ve made a nice first run of 03:21:09 in his Anaconda Dallas.

Welcome to the A* Challenge all of you! o7

And last, but definitely not least. Cmdr Ravenov returned to the course making use of the new Sirius drive to break the non-Conda record, not once, but twice in the Asp Explorer Resonance Cascade. The second of @Ravenov's runs - an amazing 01:33:51 - put the Asp-X back onto the A* Challenge podium for the first time since the end of the Buckyball Run A*. Other than Ravenov's own Anaconda run, only Cmdr @goosefraba19 has ever gotten to Sadge faster!

View attachment 217399

rx91BQK.png

View attachment 217396

View attachment 217397

That's all for now folks - if I've missed anyone's run out, please let me know and I'll fix the boards ASAP. A couple of the runs above are missing from the OP, but I'm fixing that right now. :)

I'll details to the OP history tonight, including a note that Cmdr Crotalus made the first double-engineered run.

@crotalus, please could you confirm whether your Clipper run used the new drive?
Great write up Raiko, thanks for all of your hard work!

My last run before Odyssey drops, too. I have mixed feelings about it, let's hope that we can continue racing on this level.

Commander: Dr. Chives
Ship Type: Krait Phantom
Ship Name: Technical Difficulties
Class: Unlimited, with the double-engineered FSD and premium injects
Time: 1:43:52

5kgzkvP.png

qCScJVS.jpg

ceudm6c.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom