Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I gathered almost 3/4 of my jumponium before 2.1.05 and the x3 multiplier, I started that even before my previous buckyball attempt in june.

I'm curious how fast the record will go if neutron hopping stacks with jumponium, there's plenty of WDs within a jump of Sol.
They confirmed on stream that it doesn't stack with jumponium, I'm afraid. Will still be interesting to see. :)

Is it a lot easier to find now, or was that just due to the x3 multiplier?
I believe they did also adjust the RNG to make it slightly "fairer" as well... but it's mostly just been the x3 for me, to be honest.
Admittedly I've probably jumped back into it a lot more over the last few weeks than I had before, because I was making very slow progress before the change... It was just too tedious for me, heh.

Whilst white dwarfs are essentially non-existant outside of the bubble and the neutron star band (-/- 1000 LY from the galactic plane), neutron stars themselves are sufficiently abundant that a 200 or so LY range would be ample to make a significant difference. And if it's going to be less than 200 LY then might as well not bother.

The key issue for me is how much damage would be incurred. And my guide for that is that (a) fuel scooping was supposed to be dangerous and, indeed, is until you've learnt how to win the simple mini-game and (b) they only mentioned damage to the FSD so easily repaired.
Indeed... My main questions (other than the obvious one) will be (a) how much damage does it do to the FSD, and (b) how quickly can you do it and be ready for the next jump.

I gathered almost 3/4 of my jumponium before 2.1.05 and the x3 multiplier, I started that even before my previous buckyball attempt in june.
Crumbs... You must have much more playtime than me, and I already thought I had quite a bit. Or maybe you're just more patient. :D

Last edited:
Ok, I've set a date for my run. Planning to do it on this coming Wednesday (tomorrow) 7th September. It will be a standard class run as mentioned and if anyone is available later today to watch a brief twitch stream to see how good/bad the quality is, I will happily twitch stream the entire thing provided it doesn't cause too much lag :)

Edit: https://www.twitch.tv/luke_3107/profile

Edit2: Back trouble has forced me to postpone the journey I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Here's some statistics from the logs of my run :

- LYs traveled : 26068,36 (Sol -> Sag A* : 25899,99 // difference = 168,37 LY)
- Total jumps : 268 (166 with FSD injection Premium)
- Total time : 3h57'46" (time from the first jump, so after take off and fly away the station masslock, to the witchspace just before Sag A*. That explains the different time with the screenshots : 3h59'09")
- Average speed : 6578,30 LY/h
- 1 jump in 42s (really good ^^) // 3 jumps in 43s // 12 jumps in 44s
- Average jump time : 45,45s
- Time to take off and make the first jump : 68s

0oMT4Hk.png
\o/

Got lucky with a huge Optimized Mass secondary effect which pushed it way past the limit. Did not get a max fuel usage increase and got a slight mass increase compared to the last roll I had, buuuut...huge jump range now that I'm content with! :D

Will probably attempt again at a later date with FSD injections, but for now, I just want to get this girl out there and jumpin' away.

Intent to race
CMDR turkwinif
Liberty One
Anaconda
Unlimited

Will start jumping this weekend.

EDIT: Will have to delay my run for a max of two weeks. I put my hand into another cookie jar (Megadeth) and I can't get it out just yet. With school and work, I'm running dry on free time now. In two weeks I'll have the weekend completely off, I will definitely race then if I don't get to it beforehand.

Last edited:
Got lucky with a huge Optimized Mass secondary effect which pushed it way past the limit. Did not get a max fuel usage increase and got a slight mass increase compared to the last roll I had, buuuut...huge jump range now that I'm content with! :D
Yowchies! That's better than mine... although not by much. :p

Meanwhile I've done about 70 rolls total on mine and have yet to get anything better than 52.6% :p

I've done about 10-15 and have a 53.something ;) It was just a mediocre roll as well but the secondary effect was awesome :) Based on how much the secondary boosted it I thought a 60 maybe possible.

http://imgur.com/a/IWSzH
okay i'm done. Launch at 09:50:03. arrival time of 17:56:03. total flight time: 32 hours, 6 minutes, 0 seconds. (my personal best, previously 3d10h13s in FDL)
Ship name is Run 06

2 weeks later, it's time for Run 7.

Type 7 with 21.19ly range, not gonna be a record breaker but it's another entry on the list.
The Coriolis build: https://coriolis.io/outfit/type_7_t...f64d0o0ov42i2f.AwRj4z2UyA==.Aw18gjBQ?bn=Run 7
The Loadout: http://imgur.com/a/6XCI1
The Launch: http://i.imgur.com/mutv0Ns.jpg

Last edited:
It's painful just thinking about trying to collect materials for that many FSD boosts.

I really don't have any hope of a competitive unlimited run...I got as far as selling Explo data at Farseer to rank up to level 5, then fell asleep just thinking about getting any of the stuff to get an upgrade ;)

Haven't even fired up ED since.

Meanwhile I've done about 70 rolls total on mine and have yet to get anything better than 52.6% :p
Which is why RNG is such a poor implementation. It doesn't really reward effort and whilst you are happy if you get a good roll, it's not as though you can feel "proud" about it :(

I don't know if it helps or not, but here's the increase in optimised mass I've gotten from my 44 rolls since the last patch:
56.0%
54.7%
49.5%
48.4%
48.0%
47.5%
46.9%
46.8%
46.6%
46.5%
46.3%
46.3%
46.2%
46.2%
45.7%
45.5%
45.3%
45.0%
44.6%
44.1%
43.9%
43.5%
42.9%
41.2%
41.0%
40.3%
39.4%
39.1%
38.6%
37.5%
37.2%
36.7%
35.0%
34.5%
33.5%
33.4%
28.9%
28.8%
26.9%
26.3%
25.9%
25.5%
25.4%
24.9%
2 of those rolls were for a Python's class 5 FSD - a 28.8% which was way worse than its previous level 4 roll and then the 54.7% (and if those two rolls alone aren't proof that RNG is a bad idea, I don't know what is...) so that leaves 42 attempts at getting a good Conda roll of which the 56% was a massive outlier.

Even if they were so wedded to RNG that they couldn't possibly not have it, there were surely better ways to implement it. eg, if the base L5 roll is 20% to 50% then after 5 rolls it could be 25% to 50%, another 10 rolls and 30% to 50%, another 20 rolls and 35% to 50%, another 40 rolls and 40% to 50%, another 80 rolls and 45%to 50% and keep it at that. With such a system you could still get very lucky early on and you could still be massively unlucky after many tens of rolls. But crucially there is some tangible reason to keep plugging away knowing that you are significantly increasing your chances of getting that elusive good roll. It even makes good lore sense since the engineer is becoming more familiar with the slight idiosyncrasies of your particular drive (which is the only logic behind the RNG in the first place).

Which is why RNG is such a poor implementation. It doesn't really reward effort and whilst you are happy if you get a good roll, it's not as though you can feel "proud" about it :(

I don't know if it helps or not, but here's the increase in optimised mass I've gotten from my 44 rolls since the last patch:

2 of those rolls were for a Python's class 5 FSD - a 28.8% which was way worse than its previous level 4 roll and then the 54.7% (and if those two rolls alone aren't proof that RNG is a bad idea, I don't know what is...) so that leaves 42 attempts at getting a good Conda roll of which the 56% was a massive outlier.
OK, so I'm somewhat glad that the 56% was indeed a massive outlier - I was starting to wonder if there was something obvious I was just completely missing!
I've got my own "outlier" now anyhow, after something approaching 200 rolls... +57% optimal mass, but with a high module mass (60.03T) resulting in 62.67Ly on fumes. Not quite as good as yours, but I'll take it, heh. :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have about 100 Arsenic to go and re-collect... :D

Even if they were so wedded to RNG that they couldn't possibly not have it, there were surely better ways to implement it. eg, if the base L5 roll is 20% to 50% then after 5 rolls it could be 25% to 50%, another 10 rolls and 30% to 50%, another 20 rolls and 35% to 50%, another 40 rolls and 40% to 50%, another 80 rolls and 45%to 50% and keep it at that. With such a system you could still get very lucky early on and you could still be massively unlucky after many tens of rolls. But crucially there is some tangible reason to keep plugging away knowing that you are significantly increasing your chances of getting that elusive good roll. It even makes good lore sense since the engineer is becoming more familiar with the slight idiosyncrasies of your particular drive (which is the only logic behind the RNG in the first place).
Indeed, that's a nice idea and it'd make it a bit less mind-numbing for the madmen among us who are willing to keep plugging away at it. :)

Do you guys have any tips for datamined wake exceptions? I can get everything else no problem but just scanning wakes randomly I'm not getting many.

I've had 2 rolls over 50% out of about 30-40 rolls (forgot I had 2 accounts when I mentioned how many rolls I'd done before).

I just spent a few minutes scanning wakes every time I left a station. Don't know if there is any way of optimising it or pure luck.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom