Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well this has certainly been an exciting couple of days... Lavecon, 2.3.10, Thargoid bases and star maps, sub-6:30 Haulers (damn fine job Allitnil!), the PS4 launch and Premonition being released.
With all that going on, it'd be completely mental to try and do an A* run, wouldn't it...

Good job that adjective is regularly applied to me, I suppose. :D

Class: Unlimited
Ship: Rhonda, Anaconda
Time: 02:12:13
Pilot status: Bloody exhausted

http://i.imgur.com/Q9AiQec.jpg
Wow :eek: Amazing time! Well done CMDR Alot :D

This serves me right for being so tardy submitting this article:
Blistering pace to Sagittarius A*

The new record time for the Buckyball Racing Club's A* Challenge is 2 hours, 45 minutes, 39 seconds, achieved by CMDR Allitnil in the Anaconda "Paradox Drive". This blistering pace was achieved using highly tuned engineer upgrades combined with FSD supercharging from neutron stars and tactical use of FSD injection. The combined effect is so powerful that it was not necessary for the ship to be fully stripped down - it was even carrying an SRV!

"I wanted to test if FSD supercharging can more than compensate the extra distance travelled," explained CMDR Allitnil. Only 140 jumps were needed, including 107 with neutron-star boosting and only two normal jumps, the rest used premium jumponium to quickly get to the start of the "Neutron Superhighway" and finally to Sagittarius A*.

Anyone considering a similar run should remember that "neutron stars are extremely safe, right until they’re not, then they’re deadly," warned Allitnil, adding "despite appearances, the thin and wispy jets are dangerous, whereas the 'yikes that's big' ones are safe and easy to use." Other top tips include choosing M and K class stars for refuelling and to carry premium AFMU refills.

CMDR Mad Billy, Buckyball Racing Club
This has been published in Sol, Fullerene C60 and Kocab.
Whoops! :D

I'll try and be quicker posting the followup about the new record time.

First off, Congrats to Allitnil on his run. Congratulations are in order.

Secondly. I have stuff to show you guys. I've been typing furiously since about 1200/1300ish and while I hesitate to show a 'work in progress' usually, I think about a month of waiting from you guys deserves to at least show I've got something done. Right now, I've simply typed up to the creation of this challenge. It might be too much and unecessary but I figured put it there and it can be removed later, rather than have to put it in after the fact.

That said, there are some dates missing which I can't find. So if anyone has those to hand, excellent.

In the meantime I hope you enjoy
Disclaimer: I don't know how to disable edits in a Google Doc. I'm trusting you guys here :)

Somehow in all the excitement I missed this post. Will read and comment later as I am on my way out the door headed for work.

Thanks guys.

And no Alec, I hadn't read the interview thing. Thanks for that, I'll see if I can't pull a few quotes from it and whatever information it provides.

I'll be sure to remove my double wording, one of those things I have a bad habit of doing lol :D

With regards to EZs retirement, that is information I hadn't come across. Not to worry, I will definitely be adding it in for sure.

Thanks guys.

And no Alec, I hadn't read the interview thing. Thanks for that, I'll see if I can't pull a few quotes from it and whatever information it provides.

I'll be sure to remove my double wording, one of those things I have a bad habit of doing lol :D

With regards to EZs retirement, that is information I hadn't come across. Not to worry, I will definitely be adding it in for sure.

Detailed comments later (as I am at work), but something jumped out at me.

The astronomical abbreviation for Sagittarius is Sgr, not Sag. As such, the correct abbreviation is "Sgr A*". Of course, as Buckyballers we tend to follow ElectricZ's lead and call our supermassive friend "Sadge" (I still use "Sgr A*" to refer to the star system, though).

EDIT: I like what you have here so far, definitely, and I look forward to seeing more of it.

I would suggest expanding some on the Buckyball Run A*, though it may be better for that part to be written by someone who was there for it, because, well... the game was very different back then. At the very least, you should probably take some time talking to some of them if you decide to take on that task.

In fact, the way the game changed is the biggest reason recounting that part of the history is so important - it's the work of the guys pushing the limits back then -- Anuranium, Alot, Raiko, Kligg, Rusti, and Hanekura Shizuka to name a few of them -- is how we learned so very much about how to do these kinds of runs. I like to believe I have had a hand in perfecting the art of speed runs, but those folks created it and their work merits recognition.

EDIT 2: Speaking of history and such, there is a minor error in the list of feats on the main page - it describes Stoke's run as being the start of Commanders running without scanners... which isn't actually true. My first Hauler run way back in BBRA* was made without scanners (I still have not gotten credit for scanning Sadge, in spite of having been there six times now (and seven tomorrow) since my FdL with that data got blown up :( ), and I'm pretty sure some others in small ships were, too. I can't even say with any reasonable certainty that someone didn't do it even before I did, though I do remember some people called me crazy at the time (until I pointed out that it made almost a 3 ly difference in my jump range :p ). Stoke may have been the first to hold the top spot without carrying them, though, or the first to do it in a big ship where it doesn't make nearly as much of a difference.

EDIT 3: Cortana is docked at Galileo, fueled, freshly overhauled, fitted with her new thruster nozzles, and painted with her new nameplates. T minus 10 hours... and counting.

Last edited:
Cheers for the tips Rankaze, I'll keep them all in mind.

My plan was to start off with a recounting of events, then flesh it out with 'interviews' so to speak anyway before publishing it as an official document. With regards to what has been written so far, I had considered fleshing it out with things like updates to the game and changes made that affected racing, however at that point I felt ought to have begun writing a full history of the Buckyball Club. A task I'd gracefully decline as my only experience with it is in this challenge. I'd be way out of my depth.

Not to say I'm the best qualified at writing about this challenge either mind you, but I figured the researching would help me practice for College after Summer. Also, I wanted to contribute something to the group since I only have one run to my name so far, two if you include Googolplex's unfortunate failure.

If more information is wanted on the "Pre-Sgr A* Challenge" stuff, I'll happily open up the document for others to make their contributions. :)

Edit: Also, good luck to you and Cortana :D

Last edited:
Just a heads up, I got a few tips on Google Docs use and found I can allow for comments to be placed ON the document.

So if there's anything to be added/ changed feel free to put it up there.

The good news is, I ran a hell of a run. It wasn't perfect (I detailed the mistakes below), but it was pretty close.

The bad news is, the servers didn't behave.

I lost somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty minutes overall because of technical issues, including:
- infinite hyperspace tunnels requiring me to end task on Elite (the first time, I waited 7 minutes before I did this).
- being deposited 41,000 ls from the star with less than a ton of fuel aboard when logging back in after one of the infinite hyperspace tunnels
- being disconnected with a transaction server error and staring at a spinning Imperial Eagle for a couple of minutes before it finally let me back in.

Before the first infinite hyperspace tunnel, I was running ~25 seconds ahead of a 9:45 pace (which I considered to be pretty much the best possible time I could run). If it hadn't been for the technical issues, I might very well have made it (it's hard to say, I knew I would be somewhat slower in the core and I'm not sure if the lead would have been enough - it would have been very close!).

I made three significant mistakes on the run. The first two were related to the extremely aggressive scooping technique I was using to try to get 46-47 second jumps and still get enough fuel.
1). I hit a star
2). I burned the FSD to the point of malfunction and had to repair it.

I estimate each of those cost me a little over a minute.

The third mistake, which might have been more costly was backing off on the aggression a bit when the drive got to 81%. I should have just kept the hammer down; at that point it was inevitable that I would need to repair it anyway. Truthfully, I'm not sure burning the drive was even a mistake; I suspect I may have saved more time by being aggressive than I lost repairing the drive.

Oh, there was one other mistake, but it only cost me 12 seconds...

Since I wasn't recording the run like I usually do, I wrote out a pre-flight checklist. One of the things on it was to take an early screenshot at about 15 seconds before start, because I was somehow certain that I would forget the launch screenshot. I took the early screenshot at 15:59:48 server time; this turned out to be a very good thing because I did forget the launch screenshot! So, my time is 12 seconds longer than it should have been, but that is far better than the alternative.

Some of my comments during the run that Shizuka wrote down:

"There are waaay to many F-class stars in my first leg..."

"The fuel-scooping solution to an A-class star is 'Nope!'" (as I was sort of half-scooping an A-class, not wanting to get close to it - The Imperial Eagle does tend to run hot, and even the low-emissions power plant I was running could only help so much!)

"At this point, 'F' doesn't have to be short for a cuss word. 'F' is a cuss word. 'F' is the second official cussword of Buckyball, after 'Aucoks'!"

"Remind me next time never to set waypoints on F's." (Destination target obscured coming out of the galmap, on a large F-class star that took several extra seconds to clear.)

"My strategy kind of runs on the principle that three 45-second jumps and a 48-second jump averages out to about 46." (said while taking a larger-than-normal amount of fuel off a big star)

"F! F! F! F! F!" (needs no explanation)

"'A' is just another word for 'Nope!'" (after getting too close to one even very briefly and promptly overheating)

"I need wheel chocks for my chair" (my chair has casters, and I use rudder pedals, so I tend to slowly drift backwards over time until I eventually get fed up and slide back forward)

"Argh, that's three F's in a row! This is a cluster F!"

"If the answer to 'A' is 'Nope!', there's not enough 'Nope!' for 'AA-A'"

Other observations:
This was definitely the most difficult run I have made. Every jump in the Imperial Eagle is a balancing act - you have a slow scoop and you run hot, so you have to evaluate with every jump when to press the button and when to pull away from the star. On M's I would push the button two seconds after the cooldown ended and then scoop two more seconds before starting to pull away. On K's I would wait three seconds after the cooldown, push the button, wait one more, and then pull away.

As for F's... well, F! It's count to three, start pulling away, THEN push the button... or try to get a little more fuel and burn for your trouble.

And then A-class stars are right out. I didn't even try to get up to max scoop rate on those, I'd just kinda make a half-hearted pass at them and make up the fuel I didn't take on the next M I hit.

That said, running this ship was fun. She's even more maneuverable and at the same time more demanding than the Hauler, and very engaging to fly throughout. I had a very difficult time even finding a few seconds to stand up and stretch my legs during this run, though, because of that - Cortana needed every moment of my attention.

So, what was the final time?

10:06:19.

Not what I was hoping for, but it would have been if the servers had been less temperamental today. Ah, well, what might have been. Still pretty fast for an Imperial Eagle, though!

I think I shall wait until they work out the transaction and matchmaking server problems that have cropped up since 2.3.10 before I make any more runs, though. That was really frustrating to deal with.

Thanks to Raiko and Jak for the encouragement - and thanks in both cases for being thoughtful enough to suggest that I did not need to reply to them so that I could focus on racing. I appreciate it.

Thanks to Hanekura Shizuka for timekeeping and taking notes on stuff so I could remember it for this account. Thanks to CMDR Jaereth for the moral support and for bringing snacks I could eat while flying. I appreciate you two a lot, and for a lot more reasons than just today.

Thanks to everyone who has had kind words while I've been going through some difficult times. I'm feeling a lot better now, but I know I have to stay vigilant lest I fall back into the same old traps that had me in such a bad place to begin with.

Screenshots (warning: 5760x1080, may break your browser window)
Launch
Gs913zW.jpg

Arrival
z6wwILt.jpg

Cortana (complete with her new blue thrusters and classic nameplates, which I love) and Sadge:
18hEV5a.jpg

imgur album with galmap and outfitting shots:
http://imgur.com/a/mrk2H

Note: I included three galaxy map screenshots, because I realized as I was assembling this that the first galaxy map screenshot does not show the system I am in (Sagittarius A*), but rather a system 4.88 ly away (Stuemeae km-w c1-6022), because I had non-sequence stars filtered out in the map.

Thus, I have included two additional screenshots of the map which I took while typing up this post.
1). showing the non-sequence stars filtered out (and showing the same pop-up for 4.88 ly to Stuemeae km-w c1-6022) as in the original galmap screenshot
2). showing the galaxy map a few seconds later after I re-added the non-sequence stars and zoomed in a bit so you can see Sagittarius A*.

Furthermore, my arrival screenshot into the system shows "Sagittarius A* System" and you can see Sadge in the screenshot. Hopefully this is good enough.

Last edited:
The good news is, I ran a hell of a run. It wasn't perfect (I detailed the mistakes below), but it was pretty close.

The bad news is, the servers didn't behave.

I lost somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty minutes overall because of technical issues, including:
- infinite hyperspace tunnels requiring me to end task on Elite (the first time, I waited 7 minutes before I did this).
- being deposited 41,000 ls from the star with less than a ton of fuel aboard when logging back in after one of the infinite hyperspace tunnels
- being disconnected with a transaction server error and staring at a spinning Imperial Eagle for a couple of minutes before it finally let me back in.

Before the first infinite hyperspace tunnel, I was running ~25 seconds ahead of a 9:45 pace (which I considered to be pretty much the best possible time I could run). If it hadn't been for the technical issues, I might very well have made it (it's hard to say, I knew I would be somewhat slower in the core and I'm not sure if the lead would have been enough - it would have been very close!).

I made three significant mistakes on the run. The first two were related to the extremely aggressive scooping technique I was using to try to get 46-47 second jumps and still get enough fuel.
1). I hit a star
2). I burned the FSD to the point of malfunction and had to repair it.

I estimate each of those cost me a little over a minute.

The third mistake, which might have been more costly was backing off on the aggression a bit when the drive got to 81%. I should have just kept the hammer down; at that point it was inevitable that I would need to repair it anyway. Truthfully, I'm not sure burning the drive was even a mistake; I suspect I may have saved more time by being aggressive than I lost repairing the drive.

Oh, there was one other mistake, but it only cost me 12 seconds...

Since I wasn't recording the run like I usually do, I wrote out a pre-flight checklist. One of the things on it was to take an early screenshot at about 15 seconds before start, because I was somehow certain that I would forget the launch screenshot. I took the early screenshot at 15:59:48 server time; this turned out to be a very good thing because I did forget the launch screenshot! So, my time is 12 seconds longer than it should have been, but that is far better than the alternative.

Some of my comments during the run that Shizuka wrote down:

"There are waaay to many F-class stars in my first leg..."

"The fuel-scooping solution to an A-class star is 'Nope!'" (as I was sort of half-scooping an A-class, not wanting to get close to it - The Imperial Eagle does tend to run hot, and even the low-emissions power plant I was running could only help so much!)

"At this point, 'F' doesn't have to be short for a cuss word. 'F' is a cuss word. 'F' is the second official cussword of Buckyball, after 'Aucoks'!"

"Remind me next time never to set waypoints on F's." (Destination target obscured coming out of the galmap, on a large F-class star that took several extra seconds to clear.)

"My strategy kind of runs on the principle that three 45-second jumps and a 48-second jump averages out to about 46." (said while taking a larger-than-normal amount of fuel off a big star)

"F! F! F! F! F!" (needs no explanation)

"'A' is just another word for 'Nope!'" (after getting too close to one even very briefly and promptly overheating)

"I need wheel chocks for my chair" (my chair has casters, and I use rudder pedals, so I tend to slowly drift backwards over time until I eventually get fed up and slide back forward)

"Argh, that's three F's in a row! This is a cluster F!"

"If the answer to 'A' is 'Nope!', there's not enough 'Nope!' for 'AA-A'"

Other observations:
This was definitely the most difficult run I have made. Every jump in the Imperial Eagle is a balancing act - you have a slow scoop and you run hot, so you have to evaluate with every jump when to press the button and when to pull away from the star. On M's I would push the button two seconds after the cooldown ended and then scoop two more seconds before starting to pull away. On K's I would wait three seconds after the cooldown, push the button, wait one more, and then pull away.

As for F's... well, F! It's count to three, start pulling away, THEN push the button... or try to get a little more fuel and burn for your trouble.

And then A-class stars are right out. I didn't even try to get up to max scoop rate on those, I'd just kinda make a half-hearted pass at them and make up the fuel I didn't take on the next M I hit.

That said, running this ship was fun. She's even more maneuverable and at the same time more demanding than the Hauler, and very engaging to fly throughout. I had a very difficult time even finding a few seconds to stand up and stretch my legs during this run, though, because of that - Cortana needed every moment of my attention.

So, what was the final time?

10:06:19.

Not what I was hoping for, but it would have been if the servers had been less temperamental today. Ah, well, what might have been. Still pretty fast for an Imperial Eagle, though!

I think I shall wait until they work out the transaction and matchmaking server problems that have cropped up since 2.3.10 before I make any more runs, though. That was really frustrating to deal with.

Thanks to Raiko and Jak for the encouragement - and thanks in both cases for being thoughtful enough to suggest that I did not need to reply to them so that I could focus on racing. I appreciate it.

Thanks to Hanekura Shizuka for timekeeping and taking notes on stuff so I could remember it for this account. Thanks to CMDR Jaereth for the moral support and for bringing snacks I could eat while flying. I appreciate you two a lot, and for a lot more reasons than just today.

Thanks to everyone who has had kind words while I've been going through some difficult times. I'm feeling a lot better now, but I know I have to stay vigilant lest I fall back into the same old traps that had me in such a bad place to begin with.

Screenshots (warning: 5760x1080, may break your browser window)
Launch
http://i.imgur.com/Gs913zW.jpg

Arrival
http://i.imgur.com/z6wwILt.jpg

Cortana (complete with her new blue thrusters and classic nameplates, which I love) and Sadge:
http://i.imgur.com/18hEV5a.jpg

imgur album with galmap and outfitting shots:
http://imgur.com/a/mrk2H

Note: I included three galaxy map screenshots, because I realized as I was assembling this that the first galaxy map screenshot does not show the system I am in (Sagittarius A*), but rather a system 4.88 ly away (Stuemeae km-w c1-6022), because I had non-sequence stars filtered out in the map.

Thus, I have included two additional screenshots of the map which I took while typing up this post.
1). showing the non-sequence stars filtered out (and showing the same pop-up for 4.88 ly to Stuemeae km-w c1-6022) as in the original galmap screenshot
2). showing the galaxy map a few seconds later after I re-added the non-sequence stars and zoomed in a bit so you can see Sagittarius A*.

Furthermore, my arrival screenshot into the system shows "Sagittarius A* System" and you can see Sadge in the screenshot. Hopefully this is good enough.

Out of rep but bravo! That's a heck of a run and a heck of a write-up too. Bummer about the server issues but I guess you'd have to be really lucky in a 10hr session not to have some issues. I must says things have generally felt really stable to me since 2.3.10.

Last edited:
OK this is gonna be somewhat off-topic, but I dunno where else to post it... this seems as good a place as any ...

Is there, or will there be, a "Buckyball Race Badge", for posting in our signatures? I know, people like Alec, Bruski, Raiko et al have been posting "current race banners" as sigs, but I was thinking it would be nice if there's a jpg we can insert too, to say we're (more or less) part of a crazy bunch of peeps who find it fun to wreck our ships.... I mean, look at Rankaze's recent write up (bravo, btw...out of rep, can't rep you)... tell me who in his right mind would do that to his ship which he may have spent a few million CRs on? Deliberately frying his ship during scooping to save a few seconds? Madness!

OK this is gonna be somewhat off-topic, but I dunno where else to post it... this seems as good a place as any ...

Is there, or will there be, a "Buckyball Race Badge", for posting in our signatures? I know, people like Alec, Bruski, Raiko et al have been posting "current race banners" as sigs, but I was thinking it would be nice if there's a jpg we can insert too, to say we're (more or less) part of a crazy bunch of peeps who find it fun to wreck our ships.... I mean, look at Rankaze's recent write up (bravo, btw...out of rep, can't rep you)... tell me who in his right mind would do that to his ship which he may have spent a few million CRs on? Deliberately frying his ship during scooping to save a few seconds? Madness!

Well the race banners always have the Buckyball logo in them somewhere so they advertise the race AND sorta say "I'm a Buckyballer" ... there's also the long banner that I know a few people tend to stick with ..

brc_banner_512.png

A dedicated forum sig that really does justice to this crazy group would be cool as well tho!

Here, have a link to the Buckyball Racing Club's Resources page.

Out of rep but bravo! That's a heck of a run and a heck of a write-up too. Bummer about the server issues but I guess you'd have to be really lucky in a 10hr session not to have some issues. I must says things have generally felt really stable to me since 2.3.10.

This run I lost more time to technical issues than in my first three put together (if you don't count the pre-magic-numbers route plotting as a technical issue, at least). By a large margin. Usually I have a few long hyperspace tunnels, but those generally cost seconds, not minutes.

In fact, the worst technical issue I have had prior to this during a run was in my first one, when Shadowplay crashed and took the graphics driver with it, causing me to get a black screen (but not actually crashing Elite, so I plowed a star!) and forcing me to reboot to fix it. That cost me a few minutes.

I have had the opposite experience from you, with regard to 2.3.10... from 2.3 to 2.3.10 I had no issues, but since 2.3.10 I have had occasional minutes-long supercruise (and occasonally even hyperspace) transitions, and random disconnects. The ones during my run were much worse than I had seen previously, though.

In other news, I made my way about 4000 ly back from Sadge, mostly via neutron star jumping, before I ran out of AFMU ammo and decided synthesizing the stuff is way too expensive to waste it on 1A and 2A AFMU's. But, I can now say that the white dwarf tests I did while playing in 5760x1080 were not a fluke - I don't seem to have problems with neutron star jumping when in multi-monitor mode. I haven't yet tested to see if I have problems with it in single-monitor mode with the side screens off, but I increasingly suspect the side screens are the source of the problem (they can be a little disorienting even under normal circumstances, really, especially when I am using head-tracking).

This is not to say that I am at all good at Neutron star jumping yet... but under the right circumstances, I am at least able to do it. The rest will come with practice.

Last edited:
Whew boy, it's all go recently isn't it! :D

Absolutely fantastic time Rankaze, and sad to hear about the technical issues - suffice to say I know how you feel.
An Imperial Eagle nudging 10 hours... exciting times!

I have had the opposite experience from you, with regard to 2.3.10... from 2.3 to 2.3.10 I had no issues, but since 2.3.10 I have had occasional minutes-long supercruise (and occasonally even hyperspace) transitions, and random disconnects. The ones during my run were much worse than I had seen previously, though.
Not sure if you were recording the whole run, but if so I'd be interested to know if you ran into a variant of the same bug as me.
When you selected the system to jump to, just before an infinite hyperspace transition, what did the target info show in the bottom left of the screen while you were charging? Normally it'd be Unknown / Unknown, or None / None if you'd been to the system before - but before the infinite-jump-of-death on my run I noticed it was just completely blank.

Whew boy, it's all go recently isn't it! :D

Absolutely fantastic time Rankaze, and sad to hear about the technical issues - suffice to say I know how you feel.
An Imperial Eagle nudging 10 hours... exciting times!

Thank you!

Under 10 hours was my goal - which I would have had easily without the technical issues. I'm frustrated that I didn't get it, but at the same time, i doubt many people thought 10 hours was in the realm for an Imperial Eagle! In fact, I myself didn't think going under 10 was possible (my original estimate was based on a 49s/jump average), until I started plotting and realized that one of my gambles had paid off.

For this run, I used a 2A power plant with Grade 1 Low Emissions Power Plant. It added mass... cost me about 0.1 ly in jump range... but I got a very good roll that reduced the heat per power unit generated from 0.40 to 0.28. The change it brought to the ship's heat characteristics was easily worth the minor loss in jump range. Instead of making 49s jumps, for the first half of the race I was averaging around 46.5, because on M stars I could actually stay in and scoop for two seconds after starting the FSD. If you have ever raced an Imperial Eagle, you might have an idea how ludicrous that is (normally, the Imperial Eagle is every bit as prone to self-combustion as the Imperial Courier is, and maybe even worse). Even in the core (where there are more big stars and more max jumps, so I both needed more fuel and had bigger heat challenges), I was able to make 47-48 second jumps.

The result of this was that instead of a pre-plotting estimate of roughly 10 hours 10 minutes, my actual flight time for the run (when you take out the infinite hyperspace tunnels and having to supercruise 41k ly because the game dumped me that far out from the star) was pretty close to 9 hours 45 minutes.

Not sure if you were recording the whole run, but if so I'd be interested to know if you ran into a variant of the same bug as me.
When you selected the system to jump to, just before an infinite hyperspace transition, what did the target info show in the bottom left of the screen while you were charging? Normally it'd be Unknown / Unknown, or None / None if you'd been to the system before - but before the infinite-jump-of-death on my run I noticed it was just completely blank.

I wasn't recording, since I wanted to try racing in multi-monitor mode to see if I could manage to do it without screwing up my evidence (which I did not entirely succeed at - see the lost 12 seconds at the start!). I don't remember seeing anything like that, but I don't think I would have seen it, usually my eyes are first on the FSD cooldown, then on the scoop rate (to make sure I'm close enough), then on the heat gauge (where they stay until a few seconds before jump, and then they go either to the clock or the modules screen typically, or I take that moment to stretch my arms and back. So... I didn't see it, but I would not be surprised at all if that is what happened, and I'll keep an eye out for that in the future!

If that does serve as a reliable indicator, it might mean the infinite hyperspace tunnel can be avoided somehow. Maybe replotting the jump, or going ahead and logging out/back in before making the jump (which would still cost time, but less than the infinite hyperspace and THEN logging out/in does).

Also... I think I am going to pass on trying to make a neutron star run in Cortana. Now that I realize just how much resources it costs even for a grade 1 AFMU ammo synth, and considering I'd have only one 2A AFMU to work with in a 4-jump neutron star build, that would be really expensive in terms of materials. If someone else thinks it's worth doing that, more power to them. I might do it someday if I happen to find myself with a large supply of the right materials to burn, but for now I think I will save neutron star runs for ships that can equip at least a Class 3 AFMU.

I might change my mind when I don't have a queue of other ships waiting to be run, though. Right now I've got Excalibur (unlimited - which I now have to replot because I rolled a better FSD, and because I realized some mistakes I made in plotting the run, and I may do that as a neutron star run since I have to replot anyway), Haulin' A* (Classic - 9:30 or bust!), Joyeuse (Unlimited, probably via neutron star, and probably also Classic eventually), so my plate is pretty full.

Last edited:
If that does serve as a reliable indicator, it might mean the infinite hyperspace tunnel can be avoided somehow. Maybe replotting the jump, or going ahead and logging out/back in before making the jump (which would still cost time, but less than the infinite hyperspace and THEN logging out/in does).
Unfortunately, in my experience that problem is persistent - it's the other half of the "can't get a hover-box in the galaxy map" problem.
My suspicion is that the game does a call to the server to find out what your commander knows about the system - in the galmap case the relevant info is "do I have a system map or not", in the HUD case it's "should I know what the system status is".
I think that query is failing, but for some reason that "failed" result is getting cached - meaning that no matter how many times you open/close the galaxy map or select/deselect the system, it'll never fix itself while the game thinks the cached data is good.
In other words, if you really need to go to that system, exiting/reopening the client will be the quickest way. If you don't really need to go to that system ... go to a different system. :D

Also... I think I am going to pass on trying to make a neutron star run in Cortana. Now that I realize just how much resources it costs even for a grade 1 AFMU ammo synth, and considering I'd have only one 2A AFMU to work with in a 4-jump neutron star build, that would be really expensive in terms of materials. If someone else thinks it's worth doing that, more power to them. I might do it someday if I happen to find myself with a large supply of the right materials to burn, but for now I think I will save neutron star runs for ships that can equip at least a Class 3 AFMU.
I haven't used AFMUs enough to know what the repair requirements are like more generally, but I got about 25% through two 5B AFMUs on my run. So that'd be 50% of one, or assuming a run needing twice as many repairs, the whole of one.
I don't know how repair requirements scale with FSD size or how capacity scales with AFMU size, so I don't know if you'd need to refill it once (or maybe even twice), but I'd say surely not more than that.
As for the materials... 3 out of 4 of the basic ones shouldn't be too troublesome as they're relatively common... Chromium a little less so.
Up to you though, of course - I think I enjoy driving around planets shooting rocks more than a lot of people. :D

Right now I've got Excalibur (unlimited - which I now have to replot because I rolled a better FSD, and because I realized some mistakes I made in plotting the run, and I may do that as a neutron star run since I have to replot anyway), Haulin' A* (Classic - 9:30 or bust!), Joyeuse (Unlimited, probably via neutron star, and probably also Classic eventually), so my plate is pretty full.
Sounds positively exhausting. Have fun :D

Unfortunately, in my experience that problem is persistent - it's the other half of the "can't get a hover-box in the galaxy map" problem.
My suspicion is that the game does a call to the server to find out what your commander knows about the system - in the galmap case the relevant info is "do I have a system map or not", in the HUD case it's "should I know what the system status is".
I think that query is failing, but for some reason that "failed" result is getting cached - meaning that no matter how many times you open/close the galaxy map or select/deselect the system, it'll never fix itself while the game thinks the cached data is good.
In other words, if you really need to go to that system, exiting/reopening the client will be the quickest way. If you don't really need to go to that system ... go to a different system. :D

Yep, but in my case having that forwarning and exiting/entering the client before making the jump would have saved me at least 14 minutes over the two times it happened. Once because I spent 7 minutes in hyperspace before killing the client, and the other because it dumped me in the middle of nowhere and I had to supercruise 41k light-seconds (which felt like 41k light-years, let me tell you) to the star to get fuel.

I haven't used AFMUs enough to know what the repair requirements are like more generally, but I got about 25% through two 5B AFMUs on my run. So that'd be 50% of one, or assuming a run needing twice as many repairs, the whole of one.
I don't know how repair requirements scale with FSD size or how capacity scales with AFMU size, so I don't know if you'd need to refill it once (or maybe even twice), but I'd say surely not more than that.
As for the materials... 3 out of 4 of the basic ones shouldn't be too troublesome as they're relatively common... Chromium a little less so.
Up to you though, of course - I think I enjoy driving around planets shooting rocks more than a lot of people. :D

A 3A FSD (un-engineered) has 70 integrity compared to 124 for a 6A. Mine has about as bad an integrity as it can get from the mod, I want to say it's 54, but I can't check it from work. :p

A 2A AFMU has 70 repair points vs. 167.9 for a 5B.

So... my FSD wears down almost twice as fast, my AFMU repairs considerably less than half as much, and I have to make more than twice as many jumps. And that doesn't account for the heat damage I would take in the conventional segments (taking some heat damage in the Imperial Eagle is unavoidable if you want to be at all fast. You have to push the limit on every jump, and it's inevitable you'll go over it sometimes when you push that hard). I think at least three refills would be necessary, possibly four.

As for shooting rocks, well... I enjoy driving the SRV. The wave scanner drives me a little crazy (partly because I have to play without music to hear it at all, which I don't like, and partly because it's very hard to hear the tones for metallics even then!). But it's really more about how much time I have to play and how many other goals I have; I can't afford to devote more time to farming synthesis materials than I really have to. Once I have accomplished some of my other goals (the Challenge runs I mentioned, getting Elite exploration - currently Ranger 88%, getting Elite combat - currently Dangerous 33%, getting enough cash to buy a second FdL to outfit for anti-Thargoid operations, finishing the engineering work on Durandal...), then the equation will be a little different.

Sounds positively exhausting. Have fun :D

I intend to space them out over time. Whether I ever complete them all will probably depend heavily on whether making such runs is even viable after 2.4...

Last edited:
Hey Esviandary,
I get the "no hover box in galmap" problem when I lose internet connection. I've noticed it happening in 2.3.10 even without losing internet connection, so I suspect we are losing the connection to the relevant ED server (transaction server?). Have you bug reported it? If so tell me the link and I'll second your report.
Cheers :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom