Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Aquarian Job (06.05.3303 - 14.05.3303)

- Ship name: Annette (I like 'em big)
- Ship type: Beluga
- SRV name: Chicken Grab

Just a clarification, is (I like 'em big) part of the name? Or just a statement to your fine tastes? :p

That Chicken Grab thing should deserve a tasty Kentucky Fried Rep, but I'm out of stock at the moment. Please accept this cheap thumb up as replacement. [up].

Start your fusion drives and fasten your Remloks, race lights are about to get green!

Okay, this time I made sure it was the 6th!!!

Bad news, it wasn't quite as fast as my "trial run." I was slightly off course on my escape from Cooper Arena, and ended up in the bad lands, which delayed me recalling my ship. I also didn't manage an undamaged run. I also had several FSD malfunctions thanks to overheating. Ship survived, fortunately for me, but all that heat might have cost me more time than I gained.

Good news is that for the optional parts of the race, I improved on both height, distance, and temperature. Plenty of room for improvement. :)

Ship is prepped:
aquarian.jpg

Having had a look at the course, and bearing in mind the "no engineering" requirement for this race, I think that for the second race in a row I may be turning to a former A* runner...

Cmdr name: Samwell Drakhyr
Ship name: White Lightning
Ship type: Asp Explorer
SRV name: Whirling Dervish

First attempt was just that...an attempt. So many points of failure found.
  • I hit 253% heat. Painful.
  • I tried to leave orbital at too high a speed. Ow.
  • I can't drive an SRV on rough terrain to save my life. Also ow.
  • Elevation of 563m was achieved on a jump of 2.33km in length. Highly confident that better is possible.
  • Hit a rock that launched me sideway into a ridge I thought I could boost over...no. Definitely not. Got stuck in the terrain, in fact.
  • Hit the button that summons/dismisses my ship, rather than opening the UI to board. Tedious.
  • Time was so bad already, and hull was at 12% so I tried to scrape off that extra 11. No go. :)

Last edited:
Browsing through the "Fly Me To The Moon" thread (the first event I hosted last year), I've just found this gem, written by yours truly:

I'm sorry for your attempt, fuel management is indeed a bit tricky in the Eagle (I guess you met that one and only "Mr. Unscoopable" in your route too)...my next idea won't have fuel management at all, I promise!

Oh boy, I lied :D

Welcome to the races Cmdr Batgut! ;)

"And 'Best Ship-ID of the race Award' goes to..." [yesnod]

First attempt was just that...an attempt. So many points of failure found.
  • I hit 253% heat. Painful.
  • I tried to leave orbital at too high a speed. Ow.
  • I can't drive an SRV on rough terrain to save my life. Also ow.
  • Elevation of 563m was achieved on a jump of 2.33km in length. Highly confident that better is possible.
  • Hit a rock that launched me sideway into a ridge I thought I could boost over...no. Definitely not. Got stuck in the terrain, in fact.
  • Hit the button that summons/dismisses my ship, rather than opening the UI to board. Tedious.
  • Time was so bad already, and hull was at 12% so I tried to scrape off that extra 11. No go. :)

Part of me is feeling guilt, another part is screaming "Mwahahahaha!". You're making me feel confused. :p

Last edited:
Couple of runs completed. Third attempt I flubbed the Cooper Arena approach (apparently I was going too fast for orbital cruise ... I really wasn't tho!). Decided to land at my usual spot anyway to enjoy the view of the run across to Cooper (arrowed in the background) and look who else has turned up - cool!

Ye0b9x4.png

Did a slow recce run yesterday that went fairly well. Today will be the first time I fly this course "in anger."

Well, that was certainly fun! after a recce last night i made what may well be my one and only run. I found the Annette to be surprisingly nimble in both SC & normal flight, I only grazed her tail feathers once (earning a fine and some pant wetting as i thought the station was about to give me a special 'greeting' for blocking the toast rack)

View attachment 120271

So, erm, if your 1% hull ship hypothetically explodes when it touches down on recall, and you manage to find a surface base to dock your SRV at, what happens? Will the game even let you dock at a base if you no longer have a ship? Can you immediately buy a ship?

Asking for a friend.

Can anyone join in this madness? I have just come back from a short exploration trip that has still left me 9% short of elite and am looking for something to do that will be a change.

I have never raced before and my I drive my srv like a mobility scooter but you must need someone to come last?

So, erm, if your 1% hull ship hypothetically explodes when it touches down on recall, and you manage to find a surface base to dock your SRV at, what happens? Will the game even let you dock at a base if you no longer have a ship? Can you immediately buy a ship?

Asking for a friend.

Honestly I don't know exactly how it works in those cases...one thing I know for sure, I really wouldn't want to be in your friend's shoes. Please tell him I'm deeply sorry, if you ever hear from him again.

Can anyone join in this madness? I have just come back from a short exploration trip that has still left me 9% short of elite and am looking for something to do that will be a change.

I have never raced before and my I drive my srv like a mobility scooter but you must need someone to come last?

Buckyball races are everyone's races! ;) New contestants are welcome anytime, and don't worry about your performance; everyone wins here!*

*actually not true. It's always cookiehole. Except when there are rovers and SushiCW in the same race. I'm joking, of course!**

**actually not. Or maybe, a bit.

Last edited:
OK I am in. I have found I can buy an Adder and fully outfit it (apart from the hanger) at my home station which is quite close so I might as well give it a go. It has to be more fun than straight back to jumpscoopscanning.

Cmdr name : jumpingclear
Race class : Adder Fodder
Ship name : BUCKYFAST WHINE
Ship type : Adder
SRV name :

Edit for change of ship name and I have found that I can't name my srv unless I buy 'extras' :(

Last edited:
Worry not, you don't have to actually name your ship/srv in-game, names are just a thing required for "race lore". As far as I know (unless I didn't notice) you can't name your srv at all yet.

Our ships always had names, we're just lucky the game catch up with that in 2.3, it was about sweet time I might add.

A last thing: it is more fun than jumpscoopscanning, trust us on that [yesnod]

Last edited:
Point of clarification:

If "my friend" stays in his SRV, drives to the nearest surface base, rebuys his ship there, and flies it to London Relay... would that still technically count as a finish? I'd never have ejected, and wouldn't be teleporting anywhere at all.

Because if so, I think it's game on.

I've had a friend demonstrate that if someone who lost their ship docks at a surface base, they are able to rebuy their ship at that location. Assuming I'm still technically in the race (I haven't self-destructed my SRV), that means I would have until the 14th to finish it. I can do this.

Assuming, of course, that the race organizers agree that this would still count as a finish. Odds are good that I will do it regardless. But it would be awesome to be the first Buckyballer to lose my ship halfway through a race *and still finish successfully.*

Last edited:
Top Bottom