Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Art of Pandemonium! (15-23 January)

ckOA33i.jpg

Friedrich Peters Ring is the home of Arthur Friedrich Peters, a retired engineer who spent his formative years mining and trading metals; thanks to a few well-hidden asteroid belts and the various rushes for precious metals over the decades, he made enough to afford his own starport. Of course if you ask him, he'll also claim that he designed the station himself; most patrons are wise enough not to point out its striking similarity to all the other Orbis starports across the bubble.

One thing that Art does enjoy is a good race, and he's decided it's long past due that he took the time to host one. So pull up a seat, sit back and watch the fastest and craziest pilots around give it their best shot. But don't sit on the sidelines for too long - everyone's expected to cause at least a bit of pandemonium...

S36IOxi.png

TC0WySw.png

STBjiac.png

J3UhAOt.png

PeOhWAB.png

RMVrUVh.png

Race Classes and Rules

• The Short Circuit (Open Unlimited / Open Sidewinder)
  • The Black Sheep (Open Unlimited)
  • The Token Ring (Open Unlimited)
All classes are to be run in Open Play for this race (apologies to the Solo folk, but I didn't fancy an explosion of leaderboards!)
Horizons is not required for this race, which means no use of FSD Boost.
In-flight repairs are allowed, although Delia Grind may be very disappointed in you if you choose to do so.
The race runs until 2359 GMT on Saturday 23 January 3302; entries must have a start time before midnight on the 24th to count.

The Short Circuit

A few of the more eccentric station administrators not far from Pandemonium have started some malicious rumours that Friedrich Peters Ring is in disrepair; blades missing off fans, exterior lights blinking, that sort of thing. Art thinks they're insecure about how silly the names of their starports are. Either way, he's having none of it - pay them a visit, and remind the locals that Art's no pushover. Rude gestures while passing docking towers are optional but encouraged.

Route (visit in the specified order, in either direction):
  • Pandemonium - Friedrich Peters Ring
  • Kutjalangai - Chretien Oudemans City
  • Jotunheim - Big Harry's Monkey Hangout
  • Futhorc - Acquired Taste Orbital
  • Epsilon Hydri - Radian V
  • Cardea - Tygerlily-Merlyn Pleasuredome
  • Flesk - Glen's house of Lambada
The Sidewinder Challenge
There's extra kudos for the fastest pilot to run the route in a Sidewinder of Art's outfitting. We explained to him about how using D-rated components made the ship lighter for better jumping and an A-rated FSD would help it go faster; we think he might have got a few wires crossed given the result, but hey - it's his race!

The Regulation Sidewinder looks like this - take a stock Sidewinder, remove the guns and empty out the internal compartments (no shields, cargo or scanners). Then upgrade the thrusters and power distributor to A rating, and the FSD to D rating.

Note: The hop between Epsilon Hydri and Cardea appears to confuse the in-game route planner terribly. It is possible to do this hop in two jumps via Vistaenis with a full fuel tank, not the 5 jumps (requiring a fuel stop) the in-game planner tries to send you round the houses with. Curse you ship computer! Normally I'd let racers figure this out, but this is a pretty massive difference caused by (basically) a game bug, so just this once you get a free pass. Don't get used to it!

Q: Haven't we had a few of these circuit races recently? Running around just to end up where you started?
A: Alright, no need to rub it in! Fortunately, Art has you covered. In case you hadn't noticed yet, it turns out he's not the most mature of folks...

The Black Sheep

Art's got some good-for-nothing distant relative of his who hangs out over in the VESPER-M4 system; in his own words, "Rose Angler, or something like that." Anyway, he wants you to head over there (via some other sensibly-named starports, of course) and leave her a taunting message about her trading prowess. Fastest one there gets free drinks for life back at Friedrich Peters Ring. Everyone else at least gets a round...

Route (visit in the order specified):
  • Gliese 105.2 - Fokker Dock
  • Eurybia - Awyra Flirble
  • Eurybia - Chris & Silvia's Paradise Hideout
  • Decima - Gustypants Outback Emporium
  • Ursitoare - Lucy Young's Orbital Happy Home
  • Forculus - Irrational Exuberance
  • VESPER-M4 - Slough Orbital

The Token Ring

Now the more crazy among you might be thinking this all sounds far too easy; you remember Mrs Lonnegan's Ultimate Spa Weekend Trophy, that was a real challenge! Well, Art hears you. He's hand-picked a few of the most far-flung rings he can find to keep you busy; visit them in any order you like, and return to Pandemonium to complete the race. Best of luck!

Start/Finish:
Starports (visit in any order):
  • Chac Cimih - Busch Ring
  • Evejitaka - Love Ring
  • HIP 296 - the only "Ring" in this system (apparently the name is too risque for the forums!)
  • Isitani - Creamer Ring
  • Katosus - Shatner Ring
  • Na Zha - Rose Ring
  • Pictavul - Airy Ring
There is no bonus of any sort for running this in a Sidewinder. Nothing. Na da. Why are three of you already running off towards the shipyard... Dammit, not again.

How to Enter

1. First up: state your intent to race in this thread! It should include your CMDR name, the ship's name and type, which race class you're planning to enter, and your favourite system name in the game.
    If you aren't signed up on the forums, you can also email this information to the address further down.
  2. Next, haul yourself over to Friedrich Peters Ring in Pandemonium and head into the hangar.
  3. Get your outfitting how you want it, and take a screenshot showing your internal compartments and jump range. Then, use the Return To Surface button to get ready to race!
  4. Once you're ready to go, take a screenshot (by pressing F10, or F12 to use Steam screenshots) showing the current date/time, and the station.
  5. Go buzz some towers! Take screenshots at every checkpoint along the way (showing the date/time and station, just like the start line) and at the finish line.
  6. Upload your screenshots to a free hosting service such as imgur (feel free to convert them to JPEG first for faster uploading).
  7. Send the following information to me, either by email to alot <at> buckyballracing <dot> org <dot> uk or alternatively by forum PM to Esvandiary:
    • Commander name and forum username
    • Ship name and type
    • Race class you've entered
    • Links to your screenshots/video: must show outfitting, start, every checkpoint and finish

Please don't post your times in the thread before the last day; when dealing with racers it's not a good idea to give them a target!
If you're unsure of what screenshots to take, have a look at this guide on the BRC website.
Note that a full run video is fine for evidence, but grabbing screenshots from the video would be appreciated to help me keep track of everything.

FAQ

Q: What's the prize for winning?
A: A warm, fuzzy feeling of pride. Otherwise known as nothing whatsoever.

Q: What's all this about no FSD boosting? Do you hate speed or something?!
A: Since materials are currently only attainable on planets, this would effectively be handing a free advantage to Horizons owners - and this ain't that kind of race.

Q: Pandemonium? Don't you mean 'Pandamonium'?
A: The system was renamed after the great Winged Panda invasion of March 3301. Never forget.

Now, get out there and get racing!

Last edited:
I'll definitely be entering:

Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr
Back of Beyond, Cobra mkIII, for The Short Circuit.

I haven't yet worked out what I'll run in the other classes; may or may not be the same ship... :)

Cool, more Buckyballing can only be a good thing.
the reg sidewinder specs looks like they have been designed just for boosting.. which kind of puts out the name of my faithful sidey Boost fail ... but im going to go for it anyway.

CMDR name : KliggJr
Ship type : Sidewinder
Ship name : Boost Fail
Race class : Sidewinder challenge
Fav sys name: erm.. er... HAGHOLE!

No alphabetical run ?
No! Bad Kerenn! :D

I haven't yet worked out what I'll run in the other classes; may or may not be the same ship... :)
I do like a man who appreciates the classics. Cobras are always welcome here! :D

Cool, more Buckyballing can only be a good thing.
the reg sidewinder specs looks like they have been designed just for boosting.. which kind of puts out the name of my faithful sidey Boost fail ... but im going to go for it anyway.
Best of luck... Make sure to check the note I just added to the Sidewinder Challenge section; it appears the in-game route planner thinks that 11.31 is a larger number than 11.34. :p

Fav sys name: erm.. er... HAGHOLE!
Strong choice... Very strong choice. :D

Best of luck... Make sure to check the note I just added to the Sidewinder Challenge section; it appears the in-game route planner thinks that 11.31 is a larger number than 11.34. :p

yeah that's cool, what about Cardea to Flesk.. looks like 2 pitstops for fuel needed.. im going to slap arts silly face when I get back to pandemonium.

I did depart on distant worlds this evening but seeing as I have lost 2% hull and 1 SRV already I need to pop back to civilisation so I may as well have a quick race while I'm at it.

CMDR Markzx59
Short circuit: Sidewinder
Name: Sid
Class: Sidey challenge
Fav sys: I think I did see a "K**tsomething" once... I'll have to look it up

I'll probably have a go of the others too and will post intent when ready.

Last edited:
I did depart on distant worlds this evening but seeing as I have lost 2% hull and 1 SRV already I need to pop back to civilisation so I may as well have a quick race while I'm at it.
That's the spirit! Plenty of time to catch up later... Especially with the speedy racing skills you'll gain in the meantime :D

I'll put you down for the lovely system of Kunti over in Arissa's space.

Fly fast, CMDR! :)

Last edited:
Cmdr Alec Turner, in an amusingly named ship of some description, and definitely in one of those three classes.

Favourite system name? 69 Virginis ... sorry but it just is.

Intent to race. :)

CMDR name : Raiko
Ship type : Sidewinder
Ship name : Mostly Reckless
Race class : Sidewinder challenge

Ship Type: Asp Explorer and/or iCourier
Ship Name: The Nomad / Spirit of Icarus
Race Class: All of them

I'll probably enter my Courier into Short Circuit and The Nomad into the other two.

Fav sys name: I honestly can't remember, I'll glance through my flight logs before running.

Welcome Alec and Raiko, good to see the regulars piling into the bar already! Let's see if that shiny new PC can help you produce some blazing fast runs, Alec.

Attempt received Drakhyr, and an excellent system name indeed.

Cheetah! :D I mean, technically the race hasn't even started yet... But don't let that stop you!
I'm sure there will be plenty of time over the next week and a bit to get in both some racing and barnacle-prodding. Perhaps we could try barnacle-racing...?

Well, it's time for the first big board of the race! And since as mentioned it should be starting ... well, about now actually ... it's not all that big. :D

fWfLc49.png

Ur0pc6f.png

We have our maiden entries! First up, I set what will surely be a tough time to beat in that well-known speed demon of a ship, the Federal Corvette.
Inexplicably however, one CMDR Samwell Drakhyr has already blown past me in his Cobra Mk III the Back of Beyond, leaving me struggling to find my binoculars to keep sight of him. Drakhyr says he's still got some work to do to shave some time off; I'm looking forward to seeing what stunts he has planned.

CMDR KliggJr was also spotted scouting out the Sidewinder route this evening; those who know his name will also know that Kligg is not to be underestimated! I'm sure we'll be seeing some times from him soon.

We've also had plenty of additions to the pre-flight staging area, ready for the race to properly kick off. Although he's already done a run in the Short Circuit, Drakhyr is also slated to run in other classes; until he tells us otherwise, the Back of Beyond will be keeping that spot warm ready to move up. Other regulars tweaking their outfitting include CMDRs Alec Turner, Raiko and Markzx59, all long-time BRC participants. Rumour has it that Alec has recently had his ship's computer upgraded... Let's see if it can give him an edge!

Well, the clock has rolled around to the 15th, and the race is officially open! Throw out your shields, start your engines and let's see what you've all got! :D

I'm in. I guess you already got me with the word "Buckyball" somewhere in that headline.
Now, these stations have some rather interesting names, and what fits better than a few hull parts of different ships stuck in the wall these names are painted on. :D

First of all this will be a wonderful moment to give Blueshift the opportunity to race again like in the good old days of BBR6 & BBR7 (preferably one to two slots higher on the leaderboard though).
After I've wasted my time with unsuccessful attempts in that ship it will be wonderful to claim some insurance bills of yet to be determined other chunks of metal (I guess Crater Creator may have her first try at a station wall and maybe sacrificing another few DBXs won't hurt either).
This is not my official and complete "intent to race"-post though, as I haven't decided on a system name yet (will take some time to search for the best one in these 400000000000) and I'm terribly tired, even less able to think clearly than usual and just throwing together some words to make it look like I would already have some sort of a plan. Most likely I'll run in all of the classes though. :)

Edit: Oh no, already late for the first leaderboard! :eek:

Last edited:
Cmdr Alec Turner, in an amusingly named ship of some description, and definitely in one of those three classes.

Favourite system name? 69 Virginis ... sorry but it just is.

OK, let's do this properly.

Cmdr: Alec Turner
Ship Type: DBX
Ship Name: The Fokkest Uppest [SIZE=1](1)[/SIZE]
Class: Black Sheep
Favourite system: yeah, let's stick with 69 Virginis

Today's time already submitted.

(1)
Definitely not just the Bananery Fandango painted black!

fokkest_uppest.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom