Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Art of Pandemonium! (15-23 January)

Since it often takes more time to reset a messed up race than it takes to get to Shapley 1; intent to race before *really* leaving on DW. ;)

CMDR: Jak
Ship: The Mini Enigma (Hauler)
Class: One of each, please.
Favorite System Name: Pie

All joking aside though, I'll probably put a time on each board and then will likely be done. I'll be scouting well ahead of the DW fleet so that I can make it back to the bubble in time for my BBRC event, so I do need to get going. :)

The following is a funny (if long) story pertaining to the name, Pandemonium, as opposed to the word, pandemonium. It doesn't start out that way[FONT=times new roman][warning!][/FONT], but trust me. ;)

[SUB]The following contains personal info that you may not care to know...[/SUB]
When I was in 1st grade, my mom dropped a stupid amount of money on a pair of dictionaries, bought from a door-to-door salesman. I loved them, and she knew that I would. Easily the best investment that she ever made on my behalf. One was a "Student" edition that was somewhat dumbed down in order to make room for several chapters of material that essentially acted as Cliff's notes for high-school level classes. The other was a "Collegiate" edition that brought the font size down a couple of notches and not only added to the word count, but crammed a bunch more information into each entry.

When I was in the 6th grade my family was going through a rough time. The third school that I attended that year was the same one that I'd attended 5 years previously; when the dictionaries were bought. Some of the other schools to which I'd been in the meantime, had been underwhelming in terms of their academia. So when I found myself in a vocabulary class in this particular school, assigned to look up the word 'pandemonium' and read it out loud for the class, I thought, "This town gave me a good education; I'll use the "Collegiate" dictionary and read the full 7+ entries..."

The teacher was rolling her eyes at me after the 3rd entry, but entry #6 referenced the original source of the word: Milton's Paradise Lost, in which the city of Pandaemonium is the capital of Hell. Only it started off with "the capital of Hell" part, not the "from Milton's..." part.

Hello, small town, Iowa.

To her credit, I think the teacher knew enough to see it coming, and moved to usher me to my seat before I'd finished saying the word, 'capital'. :)

i'll be racing something around each course, once i've got my hands on the blasted Black Riband. Certainly sounds like fun, as usual!

hopefully i won't fall too far behind the Distant Worlds posse.

fly fearless
<-lightspeed->

p.s. really happy to see Glen's House of Lambada on this run. The day I landed there was such a happy time - party! possibly my favourite station name (so far)

Last edited:
In-flight repairs are allowed, although Delia Grind may be very disappointed in you if you choose to do so.

I've just had Daily Grind on the phone (again). She's kindly donated the attached to be given to the first pilot seen to be using in-flight repairs.

total_pussy_hat.jpg

Backstory for those unfamiliar with this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=185247&page=13&p=2879490&viewfull=1#post2879490

Well the 9th .. yes 9th BRC race is well underway. Are you listening Ez.. 9th.. proper 9 not skipping 8 malarkey weve caught up.. what we lack in quality we make up for in quantity! ;)
Sidewinder challenge is quite a challenge cookie.. ive died a few times.. and not even at any of the stations listed lol. dismay at needing to refuel with out a scoop forced me to commit slamicide.
im pretty sure im not gonna win that one now I know you've entered too. what with all your maths and half tank routing..
Ill put up the Grey Mullet for the short circuit , its a bit easier to cope with than the stock sidey.

Hello to all the new additions today! Great to see some more familiar faces :)

Also good to see cookiehole putting the bots to work welding the Blueshift back together... :D

Sidewinder challenge is quite a challenge cookie.. ive died a few times.. and not even at any of the stations listed lol. dismay at needing to refuel with out a scoop forced me to commit slamicide.
im pretty sure im not gonna win that one now I know you've entered too. what with all your maths and half tank routing..
Ill put up the Grey Mullet for the short circuit , its a bit easier to cope with than the stock sidey.

Yup, the Sidewinder Challenge does live up to its name on this occasion, harking back to Buckyball 6.
With that said though, I will give one piece of advice: ignoring any fancy half-tank tricks, make sure you actually need to make extra refuel stops as often as you think you do. That Cardea - Epsilon Hydri hop is the only outright bug I found, but it may not be the only time the route planner lies to your face...

Last edited:
The route planner is a high quality example of fine software engineering and it behoves all my rivals to pay it close heed.

The route planner is a high quality example of fine software engineering and it behoves all my rivals to pay it close heed.

Oh jesus ... I really didn't want to have to pay any attention to this, never been one for manual route plotting, but if there was one comment that's made me think maybe I should just spend 10 mins investigating the advantages of it then this was it. Especially seeing as how Alot has bigged up the alleged "edge" my new PC is going to give me to the point where coming 7th (again) is just going to be embarrassing.

F[SUB]rans[/SUB]F[SUB]erdinand[/SUB]S[SUB]parks[/SUB]

pequot_NavigationTools.jpg

Last edited:
Hm. Alot, I guess there's a new challenge: You could shave off one jump in the Sidey if you have your tank between 69.5% and 71% (otherwise it wouldn't be enough fuel for the leg). :D
And yes, that route planner is stupid.

Oh jesus ... I really didn't want to have to pay any attention to this, never been one for manual route plotting, but if there was one comment that's made me think maybe I should just spend 10 mins investigating the advantages of it then this was it. Especially seeing as how Alot has bigged up the alleged "edge" my new PC is going to give me to the point where coming 7th (again) is just going to be embarrassing.
You don't necessarily need to do manual route plotting... You just shouldn't always believe the route planner's fuel predictions. :D

Hm. Alot, I guess there's a new challenge: You could shave off one jump in the Sidey if you have your tank between 69.5% and 71% (otherwise it wouldn't be enough fuel for the leg). :D
And yes, that route planner is stupid.
Crumbs... That sounds a little tight :p
I haven't done much in the way of hardcore route-hunting for the Sidey Challenge, so I'm interested to see what you and the other sleuths can come up with!

Last edited:
Oh, dear... hardcore manual route plotting.

Intent to try my hand at it,
CMDR name: FREEDOM4556
Ship name: Plum Crazy
Ship type: Asp Explorer
Class: Short Circuit
Favorite System name: HOTAS

Other ships/classes later probably.

Last edited:
You don't necessarily need to do manual route plotting... You just shouldn't always believe the route planner's fuel predictions. :D
Crumbs... That sounds a little tight :p
I haven't done much in the way of hardcore route-hunting for the Sidey Challenge, so I'm interested to see what you and the other sleuths can come up with!

Well. That first run is already pretty interesting. :)

1. There are at least 4 bugs in the video of this run: 10% Refueling bug (thanks for costing me 45s!), some weird route planner behaviour (green lines showing a route next to the plotted orange one), the 11.34<11.31 plotter error that Alot mentioned, and the nice interdiction tunnel direction changing flickery whatever bug.

2. These Earthlikes like jump targets next to them, don't they? Luckily no targets obscured, but many close ones...

3. Pretty good hull management this time, but maybe sparing some of the integrity for more pad braking instead of wasting it at the 2nd takeoff will be beneficial.

4. Some interesting jumps: Didn't dig too deep in the black magic box yet, but there definetly are some tricks. And I may have found a surprisingly close one (Not the one I mentioned earlier though, that one would probably be impossible with station refueling):

not many resources left.jpg
No, it wasn't the Res who drained that tank :D

You know there's more time to be found when: your fastest time of the evening so far is the one in which you missed the mailslot on one approach... :)

In other news, this is reminding me how much fun it is to exit the mailslot at 450+ m/s :D

What a great news, new race, and a circuit one too! Finally something where I won't need to tow the charred remains of my racing junk back to the starting line everytime :D

I can finally satisfy my OCD syndrome with an endless series of irresponsible departures, shameful docking mishaps and hideous repair bills...a happy hamster on a merry wheel :)

Details on my racing intent as soon as I get my hands on some hunk of junk properly fitted for the race!

Top Bottom