Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Black Riband

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Not in Kappa Fornacis. I continued on to all the stations to check that Tarach Spice was the only one unavailable.
Maybe it was fixed, someone reported in the rares thread that they were suppressed.

In any case, I'll wait until after this week's patch before deciding whether to adjust the route.

Sorry your run was messed up.

Also, and admittedly not hugely related, every time I read Onion Head I hear it in my head to this tune:
[video=youtube;Lah4Q3_eG9A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lah4Q3_eG9A[/video]

I guess it's about time I do something that is not grinding in this game - I hereby state my intent to participate in the Black Riband:
CMDR NordicLion
Cobra Mk III, "Mercury Maverick"
o7

Good luck CMDR!

The latest report from Little Nuk is that all the required contrabands are in full production, so hopefully you're good to go. o7

What can I say... the Kessel run got me in a smuggling mood. I hereby declare my intent to participate in the Black Riband.

CMDR Hanekura Shizuka
Diamondback Explorer
Heliotrope

Granted, the last time I was hauling contraband, I got shot in the Asp...

UPDATE: Didn't beat Alot's time; didn't really expect to. Final Tally...

Three Minutes for the Elven Kings under the Sky,
Seven Seconds for the Dwarf Lords in their halls of stone.
Nine rings for Mortal Men, Doomed to Die (wait, was that what the contraband was?)
One Hour for the Dark Lord on His Dark Throne
In the Land of Mordor, where the Shadows Lie.

Last edited:
Whew, just finished my (first) attempt at claiming the Cobra class spot on the list - succesfully, at 1:22:37 - but with so many stupid mistakes and problems/bugs? that I'm sure I could shave off 5 minutes from my time, probably more.

I was a bit too tired and forgot to take a screenshot already at my second stop after Weyl - found out two jumps out, so I jumped back, got back into the station, took the screen shot and left again. Other than that I made at least 3 loops of shame, and half the times I plotted a course while leaving the station, my destination was set to the station that I was just leaving - and when going back to the galaxy map the route was plotted all right, but I had to set the destination again. While doing that the game somehow went into windowed mode, so I had to change the settings back the next time I had to wait for the FSD cool down ...

I do hope that this time will stand at least for a while, because I'm not too keen on trying again too soon :)

Last edited:
Congrats to both of you, those are great times, I'll have the big board updated tonight or tomorrow. Hanekura is the first CMDR other than Alot to beat my original benchmark Asp time. Well done :)

BRC_blackriband_flyer.jpg

The Leaderboards
Correct at 0:00GMT 07-NOV-3301

Current and Previous Holders

jtBoOJW.png

USMLsyt.png

Unsuccessful Attempts

KxrsYpt.png

Record Times by Ship Type

AIXx7Nn.png

Apologies for the slight delay posting the updated tables, I've been a little ill for the last couple of weeks.

Last weekend saw two CMDRs taking almost simultaneous shots at the Black Riband and both beat the existing class records for the smuggling run although CMDR Alot's record still stands for now.

First back to Weyl Gateway was Hanekura Shizuka in the Diamondback Explorer Heliotrope setting a most impressive time of 1 hour 3 minutes and 7 seconds, which although frustratingly close to the hour mark is both the fastest DBX run and the first run other than Alot's to come in below my original baseline Asp time.

Later the same evening CMDR NordicLion landed the Cobra Mk III Mercury Maverick after a run of 1 hour 22 minutes 37 seconds shattering the existing record for the classic smuggling vessel. I wouldn't mind having a go at the Black Riband route in a Cobra myself, but I suspect that I'd need to refuel like a furry cat to get close to NordicLion's time.

Well done to both CMDRs and thank you for attempting the Black Riband! o7

Would you ask Fat Tony to have a word with the server operators? It's his booze that's getting delayed by long jump times.

I've just had two jumps longer than a minute each, and finished my run 36 seconds behind Alot.

Would you ask Fat Tony to have a word with the server operators? It's his booze that's getting delayed by long jump times.

I've just had two jumps longer than a minute each, and finished my run 36 seconds behind Alot.

You sure are a fast cat - rep for you! :)

Edit: Oh, bug*ger! Repped you too many times to rep you again, will rep you again when I'm allowed to again :)
Oh, and please don't try for the cobra spot, I'd like to keep it for a little while longer ;-)

Edit 2: Wondering about "bug*ger"? Just delete the star, it seems that certain words are automatically edited away. I'm not a native English speaker, is bug*ger really that bad a word??

Last edited:
You sure are a fast cat - rep for you! :)
Racing cat is racing.

Oh, and please don't try for the cobra spot, I'd like to keep it for a little while longer ;-)
Diamondback Explorer all the way. It's ugly, it doesn't handle very well and its fuel scoop sucks but there's something about it... Maybe the fact that its main rival is the Asp which is also ugly, handles even worse and sounds like a punk kid on a 125cc motorcycle.

I'm not a native English speaker, is bug*ger really that bad a word??
No. Language filters on these kinds of public forums have a tendency to be really strict.

So I'm on my way back from the GIMPP, and I decided to knock up a cocktail of the drinks gathered as part of the Black Riband run. Gentlemen, I present to you -

The Truck Stopper:

Get yourself a decent whiskey glass.

Pour in a shot Leestian Evil Juice. I say "pour", but that stuff's so thick you might need a ladle!
Then, pour a shot of Lavian Brandy over a spoon so it settles on the top.
Now comes the tricky part:
You've got to pour a shot of Rusani Old Smokey first, Eranin Pearl second, and give them five seconds to mix in the glass.
Then, You've got to pour the Bast Snake Gin slow enough that it settles on top of this mix.
This is the hardest part, and only the best mixologists are able to attempt it without the use of an anti-grav decanter.
Then, it's just a case of topping with Wuthielo Ku Froth, a pinch of Tarach Spice for kick and a shaving of Onion Head for warmth.

Did that tire you out? So does the run for the ingredients!

Anywho, as a side note on the swearing discussion, the word is worse for those it describes radically, as with racially-loaded language. As much as it may be seen as archaic, it is still derogatory, hence the need for it to be filtered. Oh, and furrycat is right on with the Asp comments!

Eek! I've had a bit of a rough time in real life for the last couple of weeks and I've totally forgot to update the leaderboard!! I'm so sorry furrycat. :(

I'll get the big board updated at home tonight, but for the record CMDR furrycat is the current holder of the Black Riband, with an awesome time of 55 minutes 24 seconds in the Diamondback Explorer "Black Riband"

Well done CMDR furrycat! o7

Diamondback Explorer all the way. It's ugly, it doesn't handle very well and its fuel scoop sucks but there's something about it...

Personally, I really appreciate the fully-glazed nose. Seems to be a trademark feature of Lakon Spaceways ships. The extra visibility is especially handy when docking, or when looking for conflicting traffic before undocking. When I fly a Zorgon Peterson ship I feel like I need a periscope. ;)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom