Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: The Bump'n'Grind Outpost Dash (26.09.3301 - 11.10.3301)

Well I have a brand new Imperial Courier sitting at Jameson Memorial with zero light-seconds on the clock, so I might as well test it out.

Name: CMDR Raiko
Class: Imperial Courier
Ship Name: Spirit of Icarus

I had a practice run last night. Looks like it's actually a fairly short course, given that the time I managed included a planetary face-plant...

Anyway, I know what ship I'll be running (at least to start with!):
Commander name: Samwell Drakhyr
Ship Type: Eagle
Ship Name: Stop That Pigeon

Last edited:
I had a practice run last night. Looks like it's actually a fairly short course, given that the time I managed included a planetary face-plant...

It's not called a "dash" for nothing :p Actually, although I've flown the course a few times during planning I haven't actually raced it yet so I don't really know what sort of times we're talking about. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Incidentally, and I hope this goes without saying, if people do several runs on any one day, please only send me the set of screenshots for the best one. Your co-operation is appreciated.

i will do the race with two different ships:

cmdr goemon
ship I The Bee's Gee (dbs)
ship II One-Trick-Pony (eagle)

but i don't intend to race before 1.4 goes live. just found a path into a sector which i thought of only beeing reachable in an anaconda :)

One thing I'd like to know: what's the organiser's stance concerning Docking Computers?

I never use one, but someone might - is it ok, and could it give an advantage?

MqIhRuq.jpg

Dang, at this rate we're gonna need more porta-loos.

Last edited:
One thing I'd like to know: what's the organiser's stance concerning Docking Computers?

The organisers have studied the evidence ...

Docking computer:
[video=youtube;IDaJ7rFg66A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDaJ7rFg66A[/video]

Buckyball pilot:
[video=youtube;VTb0958ayVI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTb0958ayVI[/video]

... and concluded that if you want to use a docking computer then you are more than welcome :D

Not going to lie, that gave me a bit of a chuckle... :p

If a docking computer is capable of landing faster than a Buckyball pilot, then three things have happened:
  • We will have utterly failed as racers
  • The Queen of the AI will have achieved a true masterpiece
  • All other pilots using a docking computer will receive one hell of a shock whenever they next switch it on :D

Oh yeah, I'll be sporting a Cobra mk III "Himmeli" - note the i in the end of the name, it is not the German word for heaven...

Word 'himmeli' can be translated as 'mobile decoration made of straw or other similar material, usually hanging from the ceiling or a lampshade' - I chose it because I use a wireframe paintjob on my Cobra. And like the real thing, most shots from possible interdictors will miss (as if they'd went through) the sleek A-rated ship doing a 'brave sir Robin' ;)
a65fffc34256b187941456761c26af10.jpg

If a docking computer is capable of landing faster than a Buckyball pilot, then three things have happened

well, i used a dc in all races in between i took part in. basically you "land" manually and let the dc do the docking... in that time you plot your next course. but if you can select the target system manually, that's for sure faster...

Docking computers?

And I was so pleased I'd met you guys.

I've not used a docking computer at all in ED (as you'll see if I manage to upload my footage from the last race tonight ;)).

I've just been reading through Jesse's FAOFF thread though, which reminded me that you're doing this with FAOFF! :eek: That's way out of my league, I'm thinking of having another go at FAOFF while I'm flying a courier around, but I don't expect to be able to use it during the race.

I've not used a docking computer at all in ED (as you'll see if I manage to upload my footage from the last race tonight ;)).

I've just been reading through Jesse's FAOFF thread though, which reminded me that you're doing this with FAOFF! :eek: That's way out of my league, I'm thinking of having another go at FAOFF while I'm flying a courier around, but I don't expect to be able to use it during the race.

we need another racing class - open and FAOFFopen :D than i will take my sidey for a race. the only ship i ever docked with FAOFF (three times successfull)

Last edited:
A couple of observations regarding the chosen stations/systems that I think might be generally helpful:
1) All of the stations have refuelling facilities.
2) Three of the stations do not have repair facilities: Poincare Landing; Whitworth Dock and Cady Hub.
3) Three of the systems have a civil war in progress (or they did yesterday evening, 24th September): Dvoruba; Ross 42 and Asgarage
Have fun everyone!

I think I'll be doing this one as CMDR Froggit Blake, my alternate commander. Hard to decide if he should race it or set up a toll booth...

Attention pilots, the starting gates will be opening in just under an hour and a half!

Also just wanted to say that my weekends tend to be fairly busy so apologies if scoreboard updates take a while to materialise, just be patient.

Good luck everyone!

Top Bottom