Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: The Bump'n'Grind Outpost Dash (26.09.3301 - 11.10.3301)

Attention pilots, the starting gates will be opening in just under an hour and a half!

Also just wanted to say that my weekends tend to be fairly busy so apologies if scoreboard updates take a while to materialise, just be patient.

Good luck everyone!
Psst... Don't you mean two and a half hours? :p (0000 GMT)

The Deep Six is fitted for racing and sat in Irkutsk station in Alioth, ready for the trip to Toolfa sometime soon. Let the games begin! :D

For now, however, I'm having a bit of fun in the Samborca...

[video=youtube;7pnD9-1a2pY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pnD9-1a2pY[/video]

Last edited:
P.S. I did wonder whether I should have a separate class for medium sized ships (partly because of the limited availability of medium sized landing pads) and reserve the right to split the leaderboard in two should the need for this become apparent.
I'll probably make one or two runs in an Asp as well, and reserve the right to enter them if you split the leaderboard. ;)

Just had a crack at this, need to be lucky with the outpost pads being on your side.
thanks for hosting alec and good course. mailed you my time.

Cmdr : Kliggson
Ship : Cobra Mk3
Name : "Bingo Wings"

Scoreboard update coming soon ... right after I've eaten this.

image.jpg

qyZ1vBf.jpg

OK, the breakfast has been eaten, the day one results checked and verified and the Bump'n'Grind official scoreboard duly updated.

In honour of the original ElectricZ Buckyball run scoreboards I've accidentally dropped a small piece of egg down the back which appears to have broken the mechanisim driving the seconds output. I will endeavour to fix this ASAP but fully expect it to take about a week before I finally manage to get all of it out. We apologise for the inconvenience.

So, in first place we have Samwell Drakhyr. Following a failed initial attempt to spin his Eagle "Stop That Pigeon" out of the mailslot like a frisbee, he then managed to coax a nifty 18+ minute time out of the bag while Cmdr furrycat watched from the starting line. Meanwhile, playing the role of Dastardly in his Cobra Mk III "Bingo Wings" we have Cmdr Kliggson who lost some time playing a quick game of "find the landing pad", failed to "nab him, jab him, tab him or grab him", but nevertheless still managed to land second place in a very respectable 19+ minutes.

At the time of writing Cmdr Alot hasn't been heard of since his brief communique from Alioth.

Last edited:
Quick update just to say that pilots might want to check out the Toolfa Herald local news story dated 24 Sep 3301.

Sure you don't want to check it out in-game ... this really is a spoiler!
toolfa_herald.jpg

The organisers have studied the evidence ...

Docking computer:

Buckyball pilot:

... and concluded that if you want to use a docking computer then you are more than welcome :D
To continue on the vein of these music pieces:

I, as the child of the '80s will dock manually, and the suitable piece of music is this:
[video=youtube;mt5SdesNw24]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt5SdesNw24[/video]

Modern take of '80s heavy rock, just like E: D is a modern take of '80s heavy game. ;)

Bad race conditions this evening, folks. I aborted my first attempt after the first jump, which took a full minute to transition through Witchspace.

This was in the Litter Tray, since everyone's gone Type-6 crazy and I figured I'd join in the fun.

So, in first place we have Samwell Drakhyr. Following a failed initial attempt to spin his Eagle "Stop That Pigeon" out of the mailslot like a frisbee, he then managed to coax a nifty 18+ minute time out of the bag while Cmdr furrycat watched from the starting line. Meanwhile, playing the role of Dastardly in his Cobra Mk III "Bingo Wings" we have Cmdr Kliggson who lost some time playing a quick game of "find the landing pad", failed to "nab him, jab him, tab him or grab him", but nevertheless still managed to land second place in a very respectable 19+ minutes.
Good start... Looking forward to some healthy competition! :D

At the time of writing Cmdr Alot hasn't been heard of since his brief communique from Alioth.
I'm afraid I was a bit busy today shmoozing with Zac and other Frontier people at EGX ... OK, I spent most of my time in the queue to play ED on the HTC Vive (said queue definitely had no pips in ENG :(). Zac did take pity on us and come over to chat every now and then though. :p

But yes, all of this (plus some ratting yesterday evening) has definitely got in the way of me making T6-sized dents in outposts. This will probably be corrected tomorrow evening. :D

Still too laggy to make a proper race of it this evening but I finally finished a run in 24:42; subtract at least three minutes for lag and there's a decent chunk of time to be made up by improving on these suboptimal landings. I'm a bit rusty on Type-6 handling, apparently.
[video=youtube;uMnHGQC5xfI]https://youtu.be/uMnHGQC5xfI[/video]

6I7J4WS.jpg

Just one new entry on the main scoreboard today and that's yours truly. And erm, what? oh absolutely ... I totally concur with furrycat's conclusions, hyperspace very laggy. Yes that will definitely have been the problem. Perfect run otherwise. No totally ballsed up landings whatsoever. Grrr, darn hyperspace! (shakes fist).

I did spot Cmdr Stern Winter doing some practice runs, in fact we chased each other around the circuit a couple of times while several of the Fuel Rats buzzed in and out of nearby systems having a very busy day by all accounts (not much danger of needing them for this race tho).

Other News: the Bump'n'Grind judges have been locked in a closed meeting for several hours now, discussing the inherent dangers of this race. Apparently there aren't enough of them. Expect an exciting update to the rules later on today.

Last edited:
Ping and Server Lag are at an unacceptably high level for me ATM.
This is due to damage to one of the Undersea cables linking my Southern continent to the rest of the world.
Hopefully this will be remedied in quick time allowing me to participate.

Other News: the Bump'n'Grind judges have been locked in a closed meeting for several hours now, discussing the inherent dangers of this race. Apparently there aren't enough of them. Expect an exciting update to the rules later on today.

Following detailed analysis of race tactics thus far it's become apparent that, because of the short hyperspace distances involved in this race, the need to trade-off heavy modules against jump range has proved an unnecessary tactic. Consequently pilots are flying with a full complement of shields. Delia Grind (who, coincidentally, has recently entered into a lucrative business arrangement with local salvage contractors) has persuaded judges that an exciting new amendment be made to the Bump'n'Grind rules.

The Win It or Bin It joker card.

U0Z7QpB.jpg

All pilots are now being issued with single use, Win It or Bin It joker cards (these can be found in Ziplok bags under the seat of your pre-assigned porta-loo marked "not to be shown to local health and safety representatives").

Your Win It or Bin It joker can be played on any single race submission whose screenshots clearly indicate:

a) that you have no shields fitted to your ship
b) that you have not repaired your ship during the course of the run
c) that you do NOT have a docking computer fitted

In accordance with findings from previous Buckyball races which show that the removal of shields can often save an entire jump and thereby shave around a minute off the time, playing your Win It or Bin It joker will automatically remove one minute from your final time.

To play your joker simply include the phrase "WIN IT OR BIN IT" with your race submission. Specify your actual elapsed time as normal and the judges will subtract one minute from that time prior to recording it on the scoreboard. Times modified with a Win It or Bin It joker will be clearly marked with a "J".

Please note: only one Win It or Bin It joker is permitted per pilot per ship type. In other words, if you play your Win It or Bin It joker too soon and wish to use another one you will have to race with a different type of ship in order to qualify.

Last edited:
Ok, now this is my kind of event.

Of course, I'm a little cash poor at the moment, but if 1.4 launches soon enough, this seems like the perfect way to crash a few (dozen) Imperial Eagles.

And I finally got a rank up to Outsider, just yesterday...

If not, maybe I'll rebuild the Haulin' A*.

Last edited:
Dear lord, you weren't kidding about the hyperspace times! It wasn't the most amazing run anyway, but 90 seconds for a single jump will put a dent into any time! :mad:

Edit: Well, that's at least a bit more like it... Think I'll hold onto my shiny magic win-or-bingo card for now though. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom